• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The DNC is the problem. Or is it?

I think there is a lot of support for M4A, and many people see it as a form of UHC or a significant step towards it. There is enough support that the subject is brought up on debate stage, that the Koch brothers commissioned a study to try and counter it, that there are talking points to oppose it. Talking points that people like Biden have repeated.

There are apparently enough to force politicians to at least talk about it. There are enough that there is pushback.

Yes I know. I was using gun control as a clear example of how popular support matters little, it is the donors that have far more influence on policy. Now the DNC is not nearly as corrupted as the GOP, but in an effort to competemoney wise they are going down the same path. In the case of healthcare, insurance and pharmaceutical companies are the main influencers.

Alas. The Dem voters did not turn out to stop Trump. Some, because they thought the Dems are “just as bad.” And now things that progressives care about are being destroyed byt the GOP. Women’s rights, worker rights, environmental protection, jusdges who would rule fairly. THings that the dems, even the centrist ones, would never have done and you know it.
Yes, those "just as bad" or "both sides" arguments are incredibly stupid, and work to the GOP's advantage. I may have problems with the DNC, they are leagues better. I voted for Sanders in the '16 primaries, Hillary in the general. This year I'll vote for Sanders again, and whoever is the dems candidate.

The difference is, there are loud and active forces to combat problems seen in the DNC, and corporate interests in high places oppose them quietly. There are loud and active forces in the GOP to double down on it's problems in high places, and everyone else just stays quiet and goes with it...

I'm one of the people looking to reform the DNC. Anyone saying it doesn't have a Hillary, Biden, Bloomberg and Perez problem hasn't been paying attention

Totally agree about Bloomberg. The DNC has changed its rules for him. I wonder if anyone will defend that.
https://theintercept.com/2020/02/12/dnc-tom-perez-congressional-progressive-caucus-meeting/

What’s standing in our way on gun control is the fucking GOP.
Yes I know. I was using gun control as a clear example of how popular support matters little, it is the donors that have far more influence on policy. Now the DNC is not nearly as corrupted as the GOP, but in an effort to competemoney wise they are going down the same path. In the case of healthcare, insurance and pharmaceutical companies are the main influencers.
I mean the GOP voters. The fact that the GOP is in power.
Gun anarchy is very popular with enough GOP voters that the GOP wields it like a cudgel.

No, the GOP and the Dems are absolutely not going down the same path. There is no evidence at all for that.

The Dem voters do want the good things. And when we actually get the gavels, we get the good things.

I understand the argument that the lobbyists are the way big money has an influence in congress, but it is definitely not equally done by the two major parties. The GOP is so much more corrupt that it is worth stopping.

Alas. The Dem voters did not turn out to stop Trump. Some, because they thought the Dems are “just as bad.” And now things that progressives care about are being destroyed byt the GOP. Women’s rights, worker rights, environmental protection, jusdges who would rule fairly. THings that the dems, even the centrist ones, would never have done and you know it.
Yes, those "just as bad" or "both sides" arguments are incredibly stupid, and work to the GOP's advantage.

But you just made that argument above, I thought.

.......... “ but in an effort to competemoney wise they are going down the same path.”

And yes, I agree that argument has no supporting evidence and it does help the GOP.

I may have problems with the DNC, they are leagues better. I voted for Sanders in the '16 primaries, Hillary in the general. This year I'll vote for Sanders again, and whoever is the dems candidate.

Yes, agree. I will vote with my heart in the primary, and I will vote to help people on the edge in the general by voting blue to stop Trump.

I think it is a bit more like this

1. The DNC has been falling into the trap of chasing big donors to fund campaigns. In doing so they are catering to the donors instead of the voters.
2. This has led to Democrats being honored for how much money they bring in rather than the causes/legislation they champion
3. In pursuit of those funds, and trying to chase votes, the party has been moving right for decades, becoming republican lite
4. This strategy does not attract many on the right, who see little reason to vote for a watered down version of their own party, and alienates those on the left who start to see no difference between the two
5. This also leads to DNC not fighting for the kinds of policies that people want, instead going for the policies the corporations tell them people want.
6. They support 'blue dog' democrats who side with republicans more than their own party, because those candidates support the DNC establishment
7. Progressives are trying to change the party, that is why they run as democrats even though the DNC does not support their candidacy.
8. Progressives seek to win by appealing to people with actual policies that will help them, which can bring back people who gave up because of 'politics as usual'
9. The progressives have been successful in getting a few people in so far, and have changed political discussions to include talk about M4A and GND, which likely would not have happened if they never tried.
10. It is not so much a purge of moderates that is needed, but getting away from the corporate democrats.

Very well said. And some observations to go along with that:

1. When the public is polled on policy preferences, with actual descriptions of the policies and without parties being attached to them, many many policies of the progressive left are favoured but neither party aparatus will push them forward.
2. The biggest group of voters isn't Democrat or Republican, but Independent, and its also the fastest growing group.
3. The Democrat party poses as the party of the left, but acts more like a barrier for liberals from gaining power, with the first past the post voting and otherwise entrenched 2 party system.
4. Bernie represents the first (in a long time) potential party nominee to completely break the DNC system of corporate and donor based funding and operation. It isn't surprising that the party insiders are terrified of him winning. It would do more damage to their own personal interests (though would be much better for the country itself) than Trump as President, so I am very curious how they will behave if Bernie wins the nomination and goes up against Trump.

Medicare for all (universal single payer) is one of those programs that the corporatists will stop at nothing to stop from happening in the USA because it is a program that once enacted will be nigh impossible to retract. You can scare people out of wanting it before they have it, but once they have it, you will have a much much harder time finding anyone who opposes it. Just look north to Canada. Even the Conserative hard liners don't dare campaign on getting rid of the universal single payer health care system here. They get scolded and lose elections even for suspicion of moving to a two tiered system (what Pete and others want to put in place).

No, the GOP and the Dems are absolutely not going down the same path.

I understand the argument that the lobbyists are the way big money has an influence in congress, but it is definitely not equally done by the two major parties. The GOP is so much more corrupt that it is worth stopping.

Do you see what you did there? Yes, they are going down the same path. That doesn't mean the Democrats have gone as far down it as the Republicans have. Hence the nickname "Republican-LITE".

I'm willing to bet that Mayor Bloomberg will be a better advocate for taking down the influence of money in politics than will Mayor Butigieg. No chance any serving senator present or past will do so including most notably Sen. Sanders. He's way to confrontational and narrow belief driven. Billionaire Steyer might succeed hes' saying the right things about the right problems.

Sometimes one has to have been successful in some arena to have the strength to bring corruption in that arena down effectively.

DNC can be bought. So the billionaires will buy it as a first step to eliminating financial corruption in government. Saviors come in strange clothes sometimes.

Why does anyone believe that a billionaire who buys an election would then want to do anything to curtail money in politics?

I mean the GOP voters. The fact that the GOP is in power.
Gun anarchy is very popular with enough GOP voters that the GOP wields it like a cudgel.

The anarchists vote GOP, but even among all republicans the majority support red flag laws and universal background checks.

No, the GOP and the Dems are absolutely not going down the same path. There is no evidence at all for that.

I believe there is plenty of evidence that donors matter more than voters.

The Dem voters do want the good things. And when we actually get the gavels, we get the good things.
Within limits. Instead of UHC or a public option we got the Heritage Foundation’s old health care plan.

I agree. The GOP fully embraces the corruption, and seeks to increase it. The DNC goes with it because they feel they have to for the money to run. But doing corrupt things for noble reasons does not make it suddenly not corrupt.

Totally agree about Bloomberg. The DNC has changed its rules for him. I wonder if anyone will defend that.
https://theintercept.com/2020/02/12/dnc-tom-perez-congressional-progressive-caucus-meeting/

Bloomberg's rise is a sad commentary on how money can truly buy votes. And he's a conservative, not a liberal.

No, he's not at all a conservative. I just read a long article about where he gives his money. In the 2018 midterms, he gave an enormous amount of support to the Democrats, and most of them were females. Sure, he has baggage, but people do change. He's given a huge amount of money to Emily's list, which is certainly not a conservative group. He's given away more money than most in his class. He wants to raise taxes on the wealthy, something conservatives think is vile. He supports female reproductive rights, gay marriage, gun control, etc. He has also given large sums of money to groups that are trying to do something about climate change. None of these things equate with conservative. You don't have to like him, but he is certainly not a conservative, regardless of some of his past "sins".

I also heard one of the Black Congress critters on MSNBC this morning, who has endorsed him explain that Bloomberg has given a lot of money to charities that support black youth etc. He also mentioned that most black folks are very sophisticated voters, and a high percentage of them are switching from Biden to Bloomberg due to their belief that he may be the only candidate who can beat Trump. You certainly could make a case that he's trying to buy the election, but sadly that's how the US works since Citizens United. And, in this particular election, I'd be happy to vote for a powerful, wealthy Democrat instead of a powerful, wealthy unhinged, racist asshole.

I have not decided who to support in the primaries. I'm waiting to see how things are moving along after Super Tuesday. And, like most people who's primary goal is to get rid of the most dangerous man that we've ever had in the WH, I will support gladly the nominee come November, regardless of who that may be.

I have not decided who to support in the primaries. I'm waiting to see how things are moving along after Super Tuesday. And, like most people who's primary goal is to get rid of the most dangerous man that we've ever had in the WH, I will support gladly the nominee come November, regardless of who that may be.

I 100% support this, but also recognize it as an incredibly low bar. I think you can do much better for your country than just beat the Trump.

No, the GOP and the Dems are absolutely not going down the same path.

Do you see what you did there? Yes, they are going down the same path. That doesn't mean the Democrats have gone as far down it as the Republicans have. Hence the nickname "Republican-LITE".

Nope, that's not what happened there. Lobbyists getting to any particular lawmaker is not something that is laid at the feet of "The DNC". So there is nothing about the lobbying business, for which I have several ideas to mitigate, that reflects directly on the question of "The DNC is the problem with electing presidents".

So no. But do you see what you did there?

The anarchists vote GOP, but even among all republicans the majority support red flag laws and universal background checks.

I agree that many republicans support the red flag laws, but they vote in GOP who does not. Hence, even though they want gun control, it is THEIR VOTE, not corporate money, that is the lever that enables. Corporate money could not do it without their vote.

Thanks for the article - looks interesting, will read it.

Within limits. Instead of UHC or a public option we got the Heritage Foundation’s old health care plan.
The first step is the Heritage Foundation’s old health care plan. Second step will go further.

I agree. The GOP fully embraces the corruption, and seeks to increase it. The DNC goes with it because they feel they have to for the money to run. But doing corrupt things for noble reasons does not make it suddenly not corrupt.

Well - let's noodle over that. They are doing corporate things to a much lesser degree, and the way they are doing them is distasteful to us, but not actually corrupt like the GOP. I say let's trample the GOP first, then change laws to make those activities that the dems do actually illegal, then we'll have made a real difference. But it requires a dem majority to get there.

My proposal is that ALL meetings with a legislator must ALWAYS be recorded and public. You don't want to be recored, you don't get to talk to the lawmaker. But again, GOP will never pass that bill. I think the Dems would.

More on this: There is a comment I read today that illustrates my questions well:

I came of age in 2002, and have watched the Democratic party nominate John Kerry over John Edwards and Howard Dean, Barack Obama over Hillary Clinton, and then Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders. Acknowledging that this is a very small sample of events with lots of confounding factors, it is still undeniable that the two centerist nominees lost their general elections, while Barack Obama (who ran to the left of Clinton in 2008, even if he ultimately governed from the center) managed two terms in the White House.

And here's the accusation I don't understand...

"watched the Democratic party nominate"

What you mean is the VOTERS CHOSE these candidates.
Let me say that again. The Democratic party VOTERS CHOSE these candidates.

This is not a problem with the DNC. They have not overidden the voters since the changes instituted after 1968. So the DNC did what? Fixed its system. The voters decide.

So your real problem is not with the DNC. It is with the Democratic party VOTERS who (the above argument thinks) are not choosing the right candidate.
If you want to change who the DNC nominates, you need to change the mind of the voters who represent a larger plurality than you.

But you can stop calling the DNC corrupt over its nomination. It is following the will of the voters. That's not corrupt. But it sure helps the GOP for you all to be spreading the story that they are untrustworthy, doesn't it?

This frustrates me - people shouting insults at the DNC when it is the voice of the voters that made the nomination. Shouting insults and destroying trust to the benefit of.... the GOP.

If you can't convince the Dem voters, why should the DNC pick your candidate? Why?

But you can stop calling the DNC corrupt over its nomination. It is following the will of the voters. That's not corrupt. But it sure helps the GOP for you all to be spreading the story that they are untrustworthy, doesn't it?

The DNC does more than count the votes and name the highest vote getter the nominee. If you think that's all it does, you need to pay more attention and maybe listen to why people say the DNC is a problem.

It sets the debate schedule and what bar must be passed to get into each debate, for example. It needed money, so took in significant funding from Hillary and then claimed not to be biased. It had people within it plotting against Bernie in the 2016 primary, which was leaked in that hacking fiasco. It has "Super delegates" (anti-democratic; and irrelevant that they haven't felt the need to use them to overrule the votes).

You really think all it does is count the votes and declare the nominee?

This frustrates me - people shouting insults at the DNC when it is the voice of the voters that made the nomination. Shouting insults and destroying trust to the benefit of.... the GOP.

Calls for reform to make it more democratic (which ironically it is less than the RNC despite being called the "Democratic Party") and for more transparency and to root out bias is GOOD. They should be pushing hard to not be corrupt, not to silence critics of their corruption. They should work hard to be transparent so that there can be no question about conflicts of interest, etc.

If you can't convince the Dem voters, why should the DNC pick your candidate? Why?

They shouldn't be picking any candidate. As you said, the voters should be doing that. The DNC should be an unbiased facilitator unaffiliated with anyone running for the nomination, not funded by anyone running for the nomination, not using software funded by somebody running (Pete; Iowa), not changing the rules to get into debates midstream to benefit a favoured candidate, etc.

The biggest problem for the DNC is the prevalence of false equivalence that has been weaponized by the GOPSSR and taken up by the Sanders bots. That and the fact that the typical Dem voter was the bullied kid growing up while the typical Repug voter was the bully and thus we always have to deal with PTSD triggers (and the unfortunate fact that so many still work).

When Dems step a few inches over any given line, it is the most dire of transgressions against humanity. When Repugs leap miles over nearly every line that exists, it's a joke--locker room talk--and boys will be boys. So what that Trump is openly guilty of dozens of heinous crimes and literally threatened and openly, publicly encouraged to have Hillary Clinton assassinated, she's "Killery" and deleted some personal emails!

As a party, we're the victims of domestic abuse always hoping that this time it will be different and the sociopaths we're unfortunately married to across the aisle will suddenly grow functioning amygdalas. And, of course, the sociopaths take full advantage of that predator/prey relationship and always push those buttons instead of offering any kind of policy alternatives.

We bicker and argue and want significant changes that will benefit everyone, while they anally rape each other and scream for more, while at the same time insisting that what we do is identical to what they do. And we let them set that agenda.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

It sets the debate schedule and what bar must be passed to get into each debate, for example. It needed money, so took in significant funding from Hillary and then claimed not to be biased. It had people within it plotting against Bernie in the 2016 primary, which was leaked in that hacking fiasco. It has "Super delegates" (anti-democratic; and irrelevant that they haven't felt the need to use them to overrule the votes).
See you keep repeating these half-baked claims to shout at the DNC, when there's more to it.

In a letter to DNC members, Chairman Tom Perez noted that the party reached joint fundraising agreements with both Clinton and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. "The joint fundraising agreements were the same for each campaign except for the treasurer, and our understanding was that the DNC offered all of the presidential campaigns the opportunity to set up a [joint fundraising agreement] and work with the DNC to coordinate on how those funds were used to best prepare for the general election."

In addition to that joint fundraising agreement the DNC reached with both campaigns, the party and the Clinton campaign struck that separate memorandum of understanding giving the campaign staffing and policy oversight.

A Democratic official who has reviewed the document pointed out that in addition to the Clinton signoffs Brazile characterized, it included language stating that "nothing in this agreement shall be construed to violate the DNC's obligation of impartiality and neutrality through the Nominating process" and that "all activities performed under this agreement will be focused exclusively on preparations for the General Election and not the Democratic Primary."

It know that there's a feeling that makes you want to shout that DNC "is the problem", but again, that only helps the GOP, and it is not well founded in the evidence.

You really think all it does is count the votes and declare the nominee?
That's the biggest impact, by far.

And you are here claiming that the timing of the debates cost Sanders THIS MUCH?
I say no. Convince the voters using your campaign. Don't blame the DNC when you fall short by 3 million voters, 11 contests, 12%.
It was not a nail-biter.

4,763 delegate votes to the Democratic National Convention
2,382 delegate votes needed to win

Candidate Hillary Clinton .................... Bernie Sanders
Home state New York .................... Vermont
Delegate count 2,842 .................... 1,865
Contests won 34 .................... 23
Popular vote 16,914,722[a][1] .................... 13,206,428[a][1]
Percentage 55.2%[a] .................... 43.1%[a]

And that is why trying to sow distrust in the party helps only the GOP, not any democratic candidate, including Sanders.

Back
Top Bottom