• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The dumb statement's thread

Kharakov

Quantum Hot Dog
Basic Beliefs
Don't step on mine.
This statement does not speak, but it has its own thread.

Who will win.

A dumb statements thread? That is antiadhomical, as it's not the statements that are dumb but rather who makes the statement. Just kidding. People aren't dumb. Statements are. And they like sowing, apparently. Or at least they own some...thread. Or got caught with trace evidence of it on their clothing. Okay, so that's just a play on words--specifically, making light of its ambiguity.

Actually, despite the distinction between the person (who can be dumb) and a statement that is only dumb secondarily ... . And goodness gracious (!), what might I mean by secondarily? I mean that in the sense sentences can be thought of as true. If a proposition expressed by a sentence is true, then tied for first, both the proposition and statement are true. Up in second place, by the allowance of the powers of language, such sentences used to make a proposition making statement are true by proxy.

Speaking of statements and propositions, they are essentially the same, but wheresoever I can be found, there is at least one (me) ready to assert that there's always a distinction (even when synonyms in particular contexts vanquishes the differences). A statement, for example, is human dependent, but as a tool of philosophy, a proposition is meant to transcend time, so a proposition is MORE than merely what's expressed by a sentence.

So, given a time that predates language, the sentence "Earth has mass" did not exist, but truth is eternal (or some like such term) but a proposition is meant to transcend into the world of "but ifs." <-possibly the dumbest statement...but believe it or not, I could make it coherent at least.

Oh, and propositions that are false are not true, and vice versa. However, although sentences that are false are not true, the vice versa doesn't hold up. How so? Not all sentences express propositons. Those that don't are either true nor false, thus both not true and not false.

Lets see.

Not long ago, it was a TV program or a section of a TV program called "Honest Questions".

I think nobody notices it.

I wrote in one forum of a news media about it.

My point was that you can give honest answers, but there is not such a thing as "honest questions".

To me, "honest questions" was indeed a dumb statement.

A dumb statements thread?

No, a dumb statement's thread.

Not a thread for statements that are dumb; A thread that belongs to a dumb statement.
Stop making me think. I swear, if I learn something, I'm gonna swear AGAIN.

Now, would someone please direct me to this elusive statement that is smart enough to evade detection but still dumb enough to be labeled as such?

The stress!

A dumb statements thread?

No, a dumb statement's thread.

Not a thread for statements that are dumb; A thread that belongs to a dumb statement.

Yeah, this is the way to go! We can be so dumb on our own. Let's try a collaborative effort! I'm sure it works. Even the dumb Americans(1) went to the Moon(2) doing just that, for God sake!

So, a thread that belongs to a dumb statement?

Well-well-well, as I see it, statements, even dumb statements, aren't the kind of things that can literally own anything.

All I can think of would be a thread dedicated to discussing one particular dumb statement and we're asked to find what this dumb statement is.

Thus, this statement does not speak, but it has its own thread.

Now, somebody else's turn!
EB

Note 1

That's to believe JFK's own introduction to his Moon speech on September 12, 1962

John F. Kennedy said:
Despite the striking fact that most of the scientists that the world has ever known are alive and working today, despite the fact that this Nation¹s own scientific manpower is doubling every 12 years in a rate of growth more than three times that of our population as a whole, despite that, the vast stretches of the unknown and the unanswered and the unfinished still far outstrip our collective comprehension.

Far outstrip our collective comprehension is just poetic licence for saying "we're really, really dumb".

Note 2

On September 12, 1962, President John F. Kennedy delivered a speech about the effort to reach the Moon, to a large crowd gathered at Rice Stadium in Houston, Texas.

KennedyTheMoonSpeechR.jpg

Look on the left. I think it's Lindon Johnson there, right behind Kennedy. Trying to hide being dark glasses. This is just too scary! I can't take that kind of stuff!

That guy never saw a complex issue sacrificed to a spherical cow...

Last edited:
It's really easier to explain Moon eclipses by spherical cow. :D
EB

Proof

SphericalCowR.jpg

Last edited:
Does a spherical werecow howl at the Moooooooooooooooooo.....

Wolves howl because they know that they can never catch a Spherical Cow. The frustration eats into their souls.

WOW!!! lolcows. I think dog is god spelled backwards, which is why they communicate through buttnet... or why the weapunized language (English) has dog god palindromic form.

I think that Donald Trump is a competent and effective leader.

Beat that one, bitches.

Tom Sawyer thought stoppage alert.

If you see posts where Tom Sawyer or any other poster at this forum mentions competence in the same sentence with Donald Trump or even Trump, please repeat this stoppage alert.

Tom Sawyer thought stoppage alert.*

*I fear we've encountered Mad Cow disease cross over to humans.

Back
Top Bottom