• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The effects of warming: Kilodeaths

Hey, I've heard mirrors ate quite affordable.

Oh, dear, you have misspelled a word, Jokodo. Which, according to your own rules, disqualifies whatever you happen to say. All credibility destroyed if every dot or comma, phrase or sentence is not absolutely correct as the principle being applied to others...but not yourself.

Of course you didn't literally say "like it's fucking 1969". You do however keep bringing up population growth as a, if not the, major issue in need of a solution. Which was an understandable assessment in 1969. Not so much in 2019, when it's essentially the only factor in the equation that has solved itself, starting around 1969 when the growth rate started to drop.

Keep arguing with your own strawman. It's becoming ever more amusing as we go along. :)

Oh, dear, you have misspelled a word, Jokodo. Which, according to your own rules, disqualifies whatever you happen to say. All credibility destroyed if every dot or comma, phrase or sentence is not absolutely correct as the principle being applied to others...but not yourself.

Tell me when you're done with your hissy fit.

Singapore and Monaco come to mind.

People there must be struggling to survive day to day, the way you make it sound as if depending on imports was a symptom of a disaster in the making.

The point just flies over your head. Nation states that cannot grow enough food to meet the needs of their population are reliant on imports, other countries grow food in sufficient quantity to export to nations that depend on importing food and and goods.

Now, to repeat, the issue of sustainability is not related to right here and now, nor the potato famine in Ireland or anything that happened in the past. The issue of sustainability is the issue of future conditions given the elements of sheer population size and consumption rate given growing affluence, resource use and last but not least, climate change.

Btw, Ireland, at the height of the famine in the 1840s/50s, was a net exporter of food. Even then, it was distribution, . Not production, that's too blame. Producing enough food to covet domestic demand helps, but it's neither necessary nor sufficient to avoid famines.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with future conditions in relation to the problems already described.

There was nothing hissy about it. It was somewhat amusing.

People there must be struggling to survive day to day, the way you make it sound as if depending on imports was a symptom of a disaster in the making.

The point just flies over your head. Nation states that cannot grow enough food to meet the needs of their population are reliant on imports, ...

Trivially true. Only particularly relevant if you plan to go to war with all your neighbours at once. Otherwise it basically just tells us that not everyone grows food.

The point just flies over your head. Nation states that cannot grow enough food to meet the needs of their population are reliant on imports, ...

Trivially true. Only particularly relevant if you plan to go to war with all your neighbours at once.

Gosh, that's quite a leap. Especially for someone who is a stickler for detail, every dot and comma correct, yet there it is, nothing in between and we have the fallacy of the excluded middle.

Otherwise it basically just tells us that not everyone grows food.

Which is trivially true now, but does not take the projected conditions into account.

What's amusing is your strawman, though in some sense it's also worrying.

I've never once made a fuss about a typo. I'm reacting to false and misleading claims. That's a different category of error.

This really isn't as hard as you make it out.

Trivially true. Only particularly relevant if you plan to go to war with all your neighbours at once.

Gosh, that's quite a leap. Especially for someone who is a stickler for detail, every dot and comma correct, yet there it is, nothing in between and we have the fallacy of the excluded middle.

Otherwise it basically just tells us that not everyone grows food.

Which is trivially true now, but does not take the projected conditions into account.

You understand that it is not in the interest of countries producing food surpluses to restrict exports?

You understand that in a world that produces large surpluses, even if one exporter irrationally does restrict exports, there's going to be other willing sellers?

Granted, the world may not continue to produce surpluses. As long as it does, reliance on imports is not a valid proxy for food insecurity, and some country or other doing so, in some years or persistently, cannot be used as an argument that food security globally is declining. You still need to show indications for a global production shortfall. Everything else is logistics, not exhausted production potential.

... snip ...

Granted, the world may not continue to produce surpluses. As long as it does, reliance on imports is not a valid proxy for food insecurity, and some country or other doing so, in some years or persistently, cannot be used as an argument that food security globally is declining. You still need to show indications for a global production shortfall. Everything else is logistics, not exhausted production potential.
Amazing that you still going with this? I gave up when I realized that DBT is incapable of understanding that the amount of crops produced is determined by how much the farmer can sell (the demand) not by how much could be produced at full production rate. Farmers aren't stupid. They don't waste time, effort, and money producing more than can be sold. I thought my example of "peak cup cakes" might enlighten him but, alas, it didn't.

What's amusing is your strawman, though in some sense it's also worrying.

I've never once made a fuss about a typo. I'm reacting to false and misleading claims. That's a different category of error.

This really isn't as hard as you make it out.

I was referring to your dogged attitude toward a range of irrelevant details, how something is phrased, holding your opponent to the words of a quote even after the intention of the quote was explained numerous times....but you posted it, you posted, you posted it, being the response every time an attempt to explain is made. That is what I am talking about even if my wording is in reference to your typo. I know that it was a typo, nothing to worry about, not normally, but I chose to illustrate your attitude using your typo as an example...it's odd that I have to explain this.

... snip ...

Amazing that you still going with this? I gave up when I realized that DBT is incapable of understanding that the amount of crops produced is determined by how much the farmer can sell (the demand) not by how much could be produced at full production rate. Farmers aren't stupid. They don't waste time, effort, and money producing more than can be sold. I thought my example of "peak cup cakes" might enlighten him but, alas, it didn't.

That doesn't represent my position or what I have posted or said. You either can't understand what both I and and the articles and quotes are saying or you choose not to because it does not suit the view through your rose coloured glasses.

This issue is not about current supply and demand but future conditions, mid century and beyond in relation to growing demand driven by rising affluence and climate change, peak production and depletion of natural resources.

If you can't understand this, regardless of me having stated it numerous times, I'd say that there is no hope understanding.

What part of the problem is so hard to grasp?

Agriculture And Food Systems Unsustainable
''A landmark scientific assessment commissioned by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) has confirmed that agriculture is having a monumental impact on earth’s finite resources.

According to the study, 38% of the world’s total land area was used for agriculture in 2007 and agriculture is responsible for over 70% of global freshwater consumption.

“The fact that the impacts of agricultural products came out so strongly in our report was quite surprising,” says Professor Edgar G. Hertwich.

The Norwegian University of Science and Technology professor is lead author of Assessing the Environmental Impacts of Consumption and Production: Priority Products and Materials, released in June 2010.

The report was produced by the International Panel on Sustainable Resource Management, a body set up to provide independent and scientifically driven advice to the UN.''

Production, consumption and material usage

The report’s purpose was to answer questions related to “how different economic activities currently influence the use of natural resources and the generation of pollution”.

(The report’s scope does not include providing recommendations to policy-makers about how to address these problems, although future work by the panel may do this).

The report considers environmental impacts from three perspectives: production, consumption and material usage. However, rather than start from scratch, the panel’s assessment distils key data from a broad collection of over 250 leading country, regional and global studies, such as the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment.

The study’s two basic findings emphasise what we know from present scientific research. One is that our fossil fuel driven industries, including housing and mobility (transport), are “causing the depletion of fossil energy resources, climate change, and a wide range of emissions-related impacts”.

The other is that agriculture and food consumption are “one of the most important drivers of environmental pressures, especially habitat change, climate change, fish depletion, water use and toxic emissions”. For example, in the United States — the world’s third largest agricultural producer — agrochemicals are responsible for the vast majority of the eco-toxicity of freshwater sources, with cotton alone accounting for 40% of the damage.'

Teen climate change activist calls AOC an 'icon,' tells Congress urgent action needed | Fox News
Youth climate activist Jamie Margolin appeared on CBS "Morning News" Thursday, following her testimony in front of Congress the day before, and said she admires Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., for her strong stance on climate change.regulation.

"On Monday I got to meet Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez who is ... an icon of mine. And I look up to her," said Margolin, who is 17.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "I spent time with young climate leaders earlier this week to hear their visions for climate action to save our planet and build equity into our communities.
Here’s what they said ↓ https://t.co/qpHiU7Tqrf" / Twitter

JM likes AOC for having demonstrated that one doesn't need to compromise one's values to run for office. AOC said that these activists are great, and said that it's necessary to continue one's activism to get what one wants.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Rising seas and extreme weather events are destroying our communities, from Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico to immense wildfires in California.
Kaylah, a young activist from the U.S. Virgin Islands, shared what those consequences look like for her home. https://t.co/1TxVGYTLod" / Twitter

An activist from Indianapolis noted that Indiana is a coal state with low air quality, and she talked about having asthma. Kaylah talked about a big hurricane there.

AOC talked about how she has a nephew in the South Bronx who has asthma, and who has to struggle to survive. She claims that the South Bronx has one of the highest rates of childhood asthma, and that the place is a sort of environmental dumping ground, with all the trucks that go through. She talked about how she has a grandmother living in Puerto Rico, one with medical issues, and that she fears that with each hurricane, she may have heard the last about that relative. She says that we have to tell the story of climate-change impacts on us.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "We are the Green New Deal generation—it’s time for us to demand change. I'm inspired by the young activists that are at the forefront of this fight.
But praise and inspiration isn’t good enough. It’s time to act. It’s time to implement a #GreenNewDeal. https://t.co/7ePUZq9AcS" / Twitter

Thus agreeing with Greta Thunberg. Praise for activism is not good enough.

You understand that it is not in the interest of countries producing food surpluses to restrict exports?

You understand that in a world that produces large surpluses, even if one exporter irrationally does restrict exports, there's going to be other willing sellers?

Once again, this is the problem:

Agriculture And Food Systems Unsustainable
''A landmark scientific assessment commissioned by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) has confirmed that agriculture is having a monumental impact on earth’s finite resources.

According to the study, 38% of the world’s total land area was used for agriculture in 2007 and agriculture is responsible for over 70% of global freshwater consumption.

“The fact that the impacts of agricultural products came out so strongly in our report was quite surprising,” says Professor Edgar G. Hertwich.

The Norwegian University of Science and Technology professor is lead author of Assessing the Environmental Impacts of Consumption and Production: Priority Products and Materials, released in June 2010.

The report was produced by the International Panel on Sustainable Resource Management, a body set up to provide independent and scientifically driven advice to the UN.''

Production, consumption and material usage

The report’s purpose was to answer questions related to “how different economic activities currently influence the use of natural resources and the generation of pollution”.

(The report’s scope does not include providing recommendations to policy-makers about how to address these problems, although future work by the panel may do this).

The report considers environmental impacts from three perspectives: production, consumption and material usage. However, rather than start from scratch, the panel’s assessment distils key data from a broad collection of over 250 leading country, regional and global studies, such as the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment.

The study’s two basic findings emphasise what we know from present scientific research. One is that our fossil fuel driven industries, including housing and mobility (transport), are “causing the depletion of fossil energy resources, climate change, and a wide range of emissions-related impacts”.

The other is that agriculture and food consumption are “one of the most important drivers of environmental pressures, especially habitat change, climate change, fish depletion, water use and toxic emissions”. For example, in the United States — the world’s third largest agricultural producer — agrochemicals are responsible for the vast majority of the eco-toxicity of freshwater sources, with cotton alone accounting for 40% of the damage.'

... snip ...

That doesn't represent my position or what I have posted or said. You either can't understand what both I and and the articles and quotes are saying or you choose not to because it does not suit the view through your rose coloured glasses.

This issue is not about current supply and demand but future conditions, mid century and beyond in relation to growing demand driven by rising affluence and climate change, peak production and depletion of natural resources.

So when you said that the "reason I posted the quote on the slowdown of production gain was merely to illustrate that production gains cannot be sustained indefinitely", you didn't mean to imply it illustrates such a thing?

So when you said that the "reason I posted the quote on the slowdown of production gain was merely to illustrate that production gains cannot be sustained indefinitely", you didn't mean to imply it illustrates such a thing?

I am saying that production gains cannot be sustained indefinitely. I am saying that there is a limit to production given that the Planet is finite, conseuently at some point there can no more gains in production achieved

Which is not to say that we are at that point right now. Nor does it mean wholesale starvation any time soon, not tomorrow or in ten or twenty years. This is a projection from mid century on.....as I've said what, twenty times now?

Yet some products do appear to have reached peak production:

Peak production:

''The world has entered an era of “peak food” production with an array of staples from corn and rice to wheat and chicken slowing in growth – with potentially disastrous consequences for feeding the planet.

New research finds that the supply of 21 staples, such as eggs, meat, vegetables and soybeans is already beginning to run out of momentum, while the global population continues to soar.

Peak chicken was in 2006, while milk and wheat both peaked in 2004 and rice peaked way back in 1988, according to new research from Yale University, Michigan State University and the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research in Germany.

What makes the report particularly alarming is that so many crucial sources of food have peaked in a relatively short period of history, the researchers said.

“People often talk of substitution. If we run out of one substance we just substitute another. But if multiple resources are running out, we’ve got a problem. Mankind needs to accept that renewable raw materials are reaching their yield limits worldwide,” said Jianguo “Jack” Liu, of Michigan State University.

Peak production refers to the point at which the growth in a crop, animal or other food source begins to slow down, rather than the point at which production actually declines. However, it is regarded as a key signal that the momentum is being lost and it is typically only a matter of time before production plateaus and, in some cases, begins to fall – although it is unclear how long the process could take.

“Just nine or 10 plants species feed the world. But we found there’s a peak for all these resources. Even renewable resources won’t last forever,” said Ralf Seppelt, of the Helmholtz Centre.

The research, published in the journal Ecology and Society, finds that 16 of the 21 foods examined reached peak production between 1988 and 2008.

This synchronisation of peak years is all the more worrying because it suggests the whole food system is becoming overwhelmed, making it extremely difficult to resurrect the fortunes of any one foodstuff, let alone all of them, the report suggested.''

I am saying that production gains cannot be sustained indefinitely. I am saying that there is a limit to production given that the Planet is finite, conseuently at some point there can no more gains in production achieved
Just damned... one more time. Demand is not capable of being infinite so production gains do not need to continue. The projection is about a max of maybe nine billion. Production, even with only current land under cultivation minus the acreage left fallow with no new land cleared has already shown to be able to feed that many people if the 1/3 of crop that is not distributed and consumed is consumed rather than allowed to rot. And then, if the standard of living in the third world countries is improved so they can use modern farming techniques then the extra crops they would produce would give massive surpluses everywhere if all the land remained under cultivation.

WTF do you find it impossible to understand that it is demand that determines how much crops are grown and that demand can not have infinite growth. Continual growth of production is not needed because population, so demand, will level off.

I know your religious adherence to your favorite doomsday scenario makes any scenario that doesn't have billions of starving people unthinkable.

ETA:
Are the quotes you posted from the same doomscryers that gave the asinine "peak crop" nonsense?

We all agree on that. It is however relevant only insofar as demand is predicted to grow indefinitely. Which it isn't - population is expected to peak somewhere between 9 and 11 billions, sometime between the mid-21st and early 22nd century. Given that, as even your link says, "30 to 40 per cent of the food grown globally for human consumption never gets eaten", we'd be able to feed more than the expected peak population without any growth in production, just with improved logistics.

And you weren't just saying that there must be a limit somewhere since the planet is finite. You were specifically using real or alleged patterns of sluggish gains to illustrate that we're nearing that point. Which, to repeat myself, it doesn't illustrate. As I've said several pages ago: "A slowdown of the growth of production in absolute terms (raw tonnage) could mean that the growth potential is nearing exhaustion, that further gains come at increasing, prohibitive costs. Or it could mean that demand isn't growing as fast as it used to since population growth is in free fall. Or, in the case where you pick individual food commodities rather than food production as a whole, it could simply mean that dietary preferences are shifting. Or any of dozens of other things. It is compatible with, but not indicative of, your preferred conclusion."

Which is not to say that we are at that point right now. Nor does it mean wholesale starvation any time soon, not tomorrow or in ten or twenty years. This is a projection from mid century on.....as I've said what, twenty times now?

Yet some products do appear to have reached peak production:

This is the same article you've posted before. It uses "peak food" in a very idiosyncratic (not to say: misleading) way to indicate the point in time at which the growth rate starts to decline. Unless you can quote a second significant work that does so, I'll go with the conclusion that everyone else talking about "peak <commodity>" refers to when the production starts to actually drop. I've asked you this before, you never responded - also in post https://talkfreethought.org/showthr...ing-Kilodeaths&p=717435&viewfull=1#post717435

The way they use "peak wheat" etc., it really tells us nothing. What if wheat production doesn't grow as fast as it used to? Is per capita wheat production still growing, or is it declining? If it is declining, is it because a growing portion of the world's population doesn't have wheat as a staple food (i.e., changing tastes), or is it because we've actually reached the points where further gains are difficult/expensive to achieve?

That's a newspaper article that doesn't even link the paper it refers to. Here's the paper and here's their raw data. I had a look on their raw data, and it's quite informative, but doesn't say what you (or maybe they) want us to conclude.

For example for maize, for which they calculate a "peak rate year" of 1985, average annual production increases by 24.75% from the decade 1980-1988 to the decade 1990-1999, and by another 28.77% from the 1990s to the 2000s. Given that population growth was only 18% from 1985 to 1995, and 14% from 1995 to 2005, this means per capita maize production grew 5% from the 80s to 90s and 13% (!) 90s to 00s. Granted, the proportional increase (total tonnage) from the 70s to the 80s was even larger than from the 90s to the 00s, but because the 70s also saw faster population growth, per capita increases where higher in the 90s/00s than in the 70s/80s! If that's what a post-peak-rate supply looks like, I shan't loose any sleep over it.

''The world has entered an era of “peak food” production with an array of staples from corn and rice to wheat and chicken slowing in growth – with potentially disastrous consequences for feeding the planet.

New research finds that the supply of 21 staples, such as eggs, meat, vegetables and soybeans is already beginning to run out of momentum, while the global population continues to soar.

Let me get this straight: eggs (increase in average annual tonnage produced from the 1990-1999 decade to the 2000-2009 decade: 32.6%, per capita: +16.4%), meat (+31.8%/11.9%), vegetables (+45.7%/+27.9%) and soybeans (+56.3%/+37.3%) is "beginning to run out of momentum", while the global population (+ a measly fucking 14% mid-decade to mid-decade) "continues to soar". (Their data go up to 2011, but year-to-year comparison are uninformative because there's too much noise, so I'm comparing the two last full decades decade to decade here).

Wow. Just wow.

And don't come on about how I'm missing the point and fixating on a typo. This is an intentional direct juxtaposition of food commodity growth vs. population growth designed to leave the impression that the former isn't keeping up with the latter as of the time of writing. No "begginning from mid-century" anywhere to be found".

Last edited:
Nor can Manhattan.

Or any urban area.

So what?

I was talking about the country Singapore.

There's no appreciable difference. Singapore the country is overwhelmingly urban, and has a population density of ~8,000/km2.

Cities and towns (whether or not they are also countries) import almost all of their food. This has been true since people started living in towns and cities, and is not a problem unless besieged.

The claim was that all countries should be self-sufficient on food. I was presenting Singapore as an example of one that can't reasonably be. I know it's basically just a city, that doesn't change the fact that it's a country.

Just damned... one more time. Demand is not capable of being infinite so production gains do not need to continue. The projection is about a max of maybe nine billion. Production, even with only current land under cultivation minus the acreage left fallow with no new land cleared has already shown to be able to feed that many people if the 1/3 of crop that is not distributed and consumed is consumed rather than allowed to rot. And then, if the standard of living in the third world countries is improved so they can use modern farming techniques then the extra crops they would produce would give massive surpluses everywhere if all the land remained under cultivation.

WTF do you find it impossible to understand that it is demand that determines how much crops are grown and that demand can not have infinite growth. Continual growth of production is not needed because population, so demand, will level off.

I know your religious adherence to your favorite doomsday scenario makes any scenario that doesn't have billions of starving people unthinkable.

ETA:
Are the quotes you posted from the same doomscryers that gave the asinine "peak crop" nonsense?

Neither demand or supply is infinite. The point is sustainable demand and sustainable supply or at some stage there is a tipping point and a correction happens.

This is not 'doomcrying,' this is just raising issues that will become problems if not enough is done to address them (which appears to be the case).

Crying 'doomsayers' is your form of dismissing the issue. The other is misrepresenting the issue, the argument and the studies that support it.

Back
Top Bottom