• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The experience of God

Angry Floof

Tricksy Leftits
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Humanist
Have you ever asked a theist to describe the experience of God?

Not to oversimplify the complex, but I've come to see belief as roughly two forms: ideological and experiential.

I believe ideologically that we are made of star stuff based in the science of stars and elements, i.e., knowledge gained through scientific methods. I have no experience to tell my brain through my senses that iron is forged in dying stars, or even that there is iron in my blood, but I believe these things based on evidence revealed through science and available through education and information technology.

I believe ideologically that atoms are not "tiny, hard things," but that matter is made of empty space, movement, electromagnetic forces, etc. However, my senses tell me that a coffee table is a hard, solid thing. I can safely (and usefully) hold the erroneous belief that the coffee table is not made of empty space but of something solid and hard because my senses and my brain take pain very seriously as a real thing when I bang my knee on it. I mean, it's kind of crucial to survival that we operate this way.

I am interested in how our minds can create transcendent experiences, as real as any physical pain, of otherworldy presence, of massive restructuring of our reality, of a dissolving the perceived line between self and universe, and just how powerful such experiences can be, even for us atheists.

So I'm curious about how self-identified theists of organized belief systems and traditions describe the experience of God as opposed to offering a description from a story they've learned about what the magical, invisible entity called God is supposed to be like.

At the very least, this question will often reveal the belief to be merely a habituated story, and might inspire the theist to ask him or herself some questions, rather than continue defending an ideological identity.

(I believe, both ideologically and experientially ;), in my world here in the US and in my travels around the interwebs and media, that most self-identified theists believe in belief, and wish to have some experience of an all powerful, all loving, presence. Ideological belief, while strong in animal brain-driven conditioning, tends to become quite flimsy in the face of such experiences, even when articulated in accordance with the ideology. Even for the irreligious, these experiences are inevitably articulated through learned cultural influences and institutions, not to mention personal bias and imagination. )

Perhaps we should poll our believer friends and see what kind of experiences inspire belief or what kinds of beliefs impinge on experience.

The video linked below, Derren Brown demonstrating experiential belief, serves as an excellent reference for this discussion. It does not address ideological belief, but after viewing it is easy to understand how witnessing such experiences in others in one's social in-group, along with suggestion and cultural stories, can result in "belief in belief" if one does not feel firsthand any kind of extraordinary experience.

I see this question of experience as central to our belief-related debates and yet it is rarely asked that I've ever heard. It is a personal question, after all, but if such personal beliefs are going to be leaking out all over politics, laws, and social norms that we all have to live with, then personal belief is public property as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: I do not offer any of this as evidence against the existence of God, but this understanding of ourselves does make such a concept utterly unnecessary for humanity to survive, thrive, adapt, find meaning, and transcend. That, itself, is more than enough "God" for humans, without needing a special name for it, much less attributing any kind of personhood to it, be it father, mother, guru, or goat-man.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqG0Ezxr0H4[/YOUTUBE]

God-belief is a not-so-difficult way of dealing with fear and uncertainty, especially considering that you can manufacture the knowledge you need based on your feelings about your experiences and desires. The acquisition of knowledge is also a way of dealing with the same fear and uncertainty, however one is not able to manufacture knowledge at will. So I think those two methods of dealing with the same difficulty could not be more different.

God-belief is a not-so-difficult way of dealing with fear and uncertainty, especially considering that you can manufacture the knowledge you need based on your feelings about your experiences and desires. The acquisition of knowledge is also a way of dealing with the same fear and uncertainty, however one is not able to manufacture knowledge at will. So I think those two methods of dealing with the same difficulty could not be more different.

Yea. People believe in God because they want to believe in God. They want to believe in God because God offers them certainty and frees them from responsibility:

"My life is shitty but it's ok because it's God's plan."

"It's not my fault because it was God's plan"

If God doesn't offer those two things to the believer, then it likely offers some other abstract thing that causes believers to continue reinforcing their beliefs. Because God has a positive net effect on the believer, the believer seeks out evidence that confirms it's existence and ignores evidence that denies it. This isn't a conscious thing, this is a person who doesn't know their own mind, and who doesn't understand what a 'fact' is, or how to confirm/deny it. When they come to know their own mind they're forced to rationalize their beliefs, and usually end up atheistic.

What their 'experience' of God is like? I'd assume similar to what I got the sense of in the OP, for most people something that's never really been made concrete, just a story that's been habitually reinforced and never examined. For others, though, who experience the extremes of mental illness, experiences of God can become much more concrete, sometimes to the point of debilitation. This can have lifelong consequences on the experience of God.

Did anyone read my post? I grant you it's kind of long and I don't claim to be the most articulate user here, but surely it wasn't that convoluted.

Maybe just watch the video through and then think about my point on asking believers to describe the first hand experience that they call God and how such discussions of experience might bear on the topic of theism?

Thank you.

I just tried. It looks like it's blocked in Canada on copyright grounds. I read your post but wasn't clear on which direction you wanted to take the thread, which I get now.

Your idea sounds useful to me. I think it gets back to the 'gadfly' thing you used to talk about. Instead of arguing with believers, question them and ask them to articulate and fully realize their beliefs. In that way they come to know themselves because they're not about to invalidate things coming out of their own mouth.

At best they learn more about their own belief system and eventually lead themselves out of it, at worst you didn't ruin a relationship.

So I'm curious about how self-identified theists of organized belief systems and traditions describe the experience of God as opposed to offering a description from a story they've learned about what the magical, invisible entity called God is supposed to be like.

At the very least, this question will often reveal the belief to be merely a habituated story, and might inspire the theist to ask him or herself some questions, rather than continue defending an ideological identity.

Your video link would not work for me, due to copyrights in my country, strange.

A few years ago, I had some tests done for cancer, about a month after the doctor phoned to say he urgently wanted to see me, it was non Hodgkin Lymphoma, our best friend had this cancer, and three months after, she died. After the initial shock of knowing I had been given a possible death sentence, I prayed for the wisdom peace and perseverance to do God’s will, regardless as to whether the cancer would prove to be a death sentence or just an inconvenience. I can only say that from the moment of making this prayer, I have experienced profound times of peace and the thought of cancer has never troubled me at all. The journey with cancer is fraught with waiting a month or two for tests, followed by a period of waiting for results. Then the prayer has to turn to thanks, for the profound sense of peace that overcomes all our worries.

I could not imagine being able to live in peace with this knowledge without faith.

I have never once prayed for healing, at the age of 62, the prayer for healing seemed too complicated to me. We all die at some point, and I just accept this.

There are lots of anomolous experiences in this world that can easily be taken as religious experiences.

[h=1]Peak experience[/h] From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A peak experience is a moment accompanied by a euphoric mental state often achieved by self-actualizing individuals.[1] The concept was originally developed by Abraham Maslow in 1964, who describes peak experiences as "rare, exciting, oceanic, deeply moving, exhilarating, elevating experiences that generate an advanced form of perceiving reality, and are even mystic and magical in their effect upon the experimenter."[2][3] There are several unique characteristics of a peak experience, but each element is perceived together in a holistic manner that creates the moment of reaching one’s full potential.[4] Peak experiences can range from simple activities to intense events;[5][6] however, it is not necessarily about what the activity is, but the ecstatic, care-free feeling that is being experienced during it.[7]

Pascal's personal experience is a well known case of a mystical religious experience

On the night of 23 November 1954, when Pascal was thirty-two years old, he had a religious experience that immediately and decisively determined the course of his few remaining years. A record of this experience survives in his own hand. It is a small piece of parchment that was found sewn in the lining of his doublet after his death, and which he carried with him at all times.
The year of grace 1654.
Monday, 23 November, feast of Saint Clement, Pope and Martyr,
and of others in the Martyrology.

Sometimes, these things happen out of the blue. Sometimes they happen after years of religious activity. For example Zen practitioners.

Gallup polls over the years have indicated that many religious believers have reported having such experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxk_awBzeQE

Your video link would not work for me, due to copyrights in my country, strange.

A few years ago, I had some tests done for cancer, about a month after the doctor phoned to say he urgently wanted to see me, it was non Hodgkin Lymphoma, our best friend had this cancer, and three months after, she died. After the initial shock of knowing I had been given a possible death sentence, I prayed for the wisdom peace and perseverance to do God’s will, regardless as to whether the cancer would prove to be a death sentence or just an inconvenience. I can only say that from the moment of making this prayer, I have experienced profound times of peace and the thought of cancer has never troubled me at all. The journey with cancer is fraught with waiting a month or two for tests, followed by a period of waiting for results. Then the prayer has to turn to thanks, for the profound sense of peace that overcomes all our worries.

I could not imagine being able to live in peace with this knowledge without faith.

I have never once prayed for healing, at the age of 62, the prayer for healing seemed too complicated to me. We all die at some point, and I just accept this.

I can relate to this, although I didn't pray to anyone unless you count life itself as someone or something to pray to. It was a moment of realizing I had no control and choosing, almost reflexively, to trust. Life itself can kill me, and indeed will kill me eventually, but life also provides everything I've ever experienced. It's hard to explain, but your post resonated closely with that.

For me, I was past the time in my life when I would have interpreted that trust as a trust in God or Jesus or anything other than fate or chance or the possibilities that ordinary reality offers, and a sort of liberation of sorts in that moment. It's an experience that served to adjust my perception of my existence, at least a bit.

My post was really about asking theists the question about distinguishing between ideological faith (presumably not the desirable source of faith for a believer's self image as a believer in a "personal God") and experiential faith. But to describe an experience, one has to either describe something they've genuinely felt without regard to the cultural or religious story about the experience, or they have to make something up to convince you that they are swimming in agape or whatever they think God feels like.

I don't think a first hand experience of agape or omnipresence would produce the kind of minds that systematically inject fear and divisiveness into public institutions and discourse as we see in the US.

Not sure why the video won't load, but you might try doing a search on keywords: Derren Brown faith god atheist. You might find another link to the video that you can watch. It shows Derren using his mad skillz to produce a powerful experience of a loving father-flavored God presence in an atheist. Extremely illuminating video and I highly recommend it to theists and atheists alike.

I just tried. It looks like it's blocked in Canada on copyright grounds. I read your post but wasn't clear on which direction you wanted to take the thread, which I get now.

Your idea sounds useful to me. I think it gets back to the 'gadfly' thing you used to talk about. Instead of arguing with believers, question them and ask them to articulate and fully realize their beliefs. In that way they come to know themselves because they're not about to invalidate things coming out of their own mouth.

At best they learn more about their own belief system and eventually lead themselves out of it, at worst you didn't ruin a relationship.

Yes, exactly. I appreciate you taking a second read.

What religious people mean by “experience of God” is probably nearly always powerful emotions that they don’t recognize as generating from inside themselves. Some others will mean they feel sure and will count their certainty in their own beliefs as itself an experience of God. I’ve asked a few times, and followed blog entries of persons who claim the experience. Whenever they get around to saying what the experience is, it’s one or both of those two things.

I watched the whole video and really enjoyed it. Strengthens my resolve to continue seeking non-ordinary experience so that I don’t get stuck in stifling explanations or beliefs.

Natalie’s experience, I hope, will continue to be trans-formative for her. As she correctly surmised (when the hypnotist tried to make sure he hadn’t really converted her), it doesn’t matter that her “religious” experience was not supernatural in source but was psychological and was artificially induced, because the experience is still the experience and she values it.

Note that Natalie, having had an extraordinary experience, wanted to turn quickly to “must be supernatural” as an equivalent way of saying “can’t explain it” because that’s the traditional way of dealing with “the unexplainable”.

Anything out of the ordinary induces a “can’t be mere nature!” in many people. The rather dogmatic insistence among some "skeptics" that everything's got a very mundane explanation and you can't trust our "merely subjective" experiences will contribute to this problem, I think. Some atheists will characterize non-ordinary experiences as “hallucinatory” and even as a mental illness. This is their role as priestly guardians of their belief that life and everything are all utterly mundane, and profane… all very ordinary and simple to explain. They need to denounce anything that could lead to “heresy”. Just as Popes and priests did with mystics in the past, trying to make sure people stick with Dogma and don’t let Experience get in the way.

The only mistake about "religious" experience is when it gets attributed to the supernatural. Generally it's the explanation that is the problem. The experience itself need not be illness or delusion.

Last edited:
Did anyone read my post? I grant you it's kind of long and I don't claim to be the most articulate user here, but surely it wasn't that convoluted.

Maybe just watch the video through and then think about my point on asking believers to describe the first hand experience that they call God and how such discussions of experience might bear on the topic of theism?

Thank you.

This video contains content from Little Dot Studios, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

:(

From your comments in the OP, I get the impression that you are saying that if enough of your friends say they have evidence for something, it feels completely OK to say that you have knowledge of that thing, even though you have never experienced it yourself; And that religion is basically a set of feedback loops wherein everyone says they have experienced God, because while it isn't completely true (yet) for them personally, so many of their friends and family - people they know are trustworthy - claim to have had that experience. So it's not even lying to say you have too; I mean, if everyone who has been to London says the buses are red, and the taxis are black, then saying "London buses are red, and London taxis are black" is not a lie, even if you have never been to London yourself.

This ability to make a claim on the basis of hearsay is a very powerful tool; even in the sciences, it is widely used - after all, who has the time to actually measure the charge on the electron for themselves, when so many people have written up Millikan's oil-drop experiment? But it always carries the risk that your entire belief system might be based on a circuit of self-deception, that started with a lie, a brag, a hallucination, or an error, and has snowballed from there, with each person believing because each other person believes, so it must be true.

So I personally haven't been moved by the Holy Spirit (yet), but I know a lot of folks who have; and so it would be churlish of me not to join in when they are all speaking in tongues - and if I join in, surely that will make it more likely that I will (at last) experience it for myself.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that many kinds of religious meetings are set up to encourage hallucination and/or mass hysteria in their attendees; So there is always a leavening of people who really have experienced something they put down to God.

If anyone can't see the video, try searching on terms Derren Brown faith God atheist and hopefully you'll find another instance that you can watch.

Here's a different link if anyone wants to see if it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LksVbHxLRvY
This video contains content from Little Dot Studios, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

:mad:

:mad:

Well, shit. :/

That's globalisation for ya. Us Aussies can't take part in the Global Economy, unless we pay twice as much as everyone else (plus 10% GST, plus shipping and handling).

Here's a clip from another episode in which our hero turns some more atheists into theists temporarily.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbu-uz4qD1A[/YOUTUBE]

Back
Top Bottom