• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The failure of American public schools to teach children the truth regarding our history

The terribly underexposed issue with China dates back to how we treated them as a nation in the 19th and early 20th Centuries. You want to talk about stuff that isn't discussed in US History (and especially impacts current events), let's talk the Opium Wars!
We in Australia have a blind spot concerning the Chinese in our history. The Chinese first came to Australia in the 1850s for the Victorian Gold Rush. Rumours were started culminating in the Lambing Flats Riots in NSW and similar incidents in Victoria, https://victoriancollections.net.au...he-chinese-on-the-goldfields/conflict-harmony.
incidentally I had holidays in near Robe, South Australia in January and noticed a plaque on the pier at Kingston SE stated that many Chinese landed there and walked to the Victorian Goldfields - 450kms!

Likewise every muslim believer.

Let's see some of that religion's ugly history taught in schools.
I'd be good with that.

Religion in general, and Abrahamic religions in particular, are consistently reprehensible. Over the course of centuries, the evidence is solid and clear.

Religious ethics are appalling. Modern, secular ethics, are vastly superior.
Tom

Modern, secular ethics, are vastly superior.
Ironically, moden secular [Western] ethics owe its existence to Christian assumptions. Can't get more Christian than championing the "marginalized."

Ironically, moden secular [Western] ethics owe its existence to Christian assumptions. Can't get more Christian than championing the "marginalized."
In what way?

Christianity hasn't championed poor or marginalized people for most of 1500 years. It's viciously oppressed them, while talking about The Beatitudes and other such nonsense.
Tom

In what way?

Christianity hasn't championed poor or marginalized people for most of 1500 years. It's viciously oppressed them, while talking about The Beatitudes and other such nonsense.
Tom
From the start. Jesus was a common criminal executed in the most humilating way. Compare him to any other of the 1st Century deities. Very different. It's why alot of saints purposefully lived lives of poverty and discomfort. To be more Christ like. Christians created the first hospitals to help the poor and lepers. It's no accident that it was Chiristan Europe, and no where else, that pursued the abolition of slavery. Even in the US, those most vocally anti-slavery were deeply Christian. Hello, John Brown. Moreover, "It is easier for a camel to go through the Eye of the Needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." First rich Roman Christians and then rich medieval Europeans, the way around this was to fund hospitals and other charty for the poor.

I mean, look at this:

pope-washing-feet.png

In what way?

Tom
From the start. Jesus was a common criminal executed in the most humilating way. Compare him to any other of the 1st Century deities. Very different. It's why alot of saints purposefully lived lives of poverty and discomfort. To be more Christ like. Christians created the first hospitals to help the poor and lepers. It's no accident that it was Chiristan Europe, and no where else, that pursued the abolition of slavery. Even in the US, those most vocally anti-slavery were deeply Christian. Hello, John Brown. Moreover, "It is easier for a camel to go through the Eye of the Needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." First rich Roman Christians and then rich medieval Europeans, the way around this was to fund hospitals and other charty for the poor.

I mean, look at this:

pope-washing-feet.png
Um, Christianity was also used to defend slavery.

In what way?

Tom

I mean, look at this:

pope-washing-feet.png
Ugh, it is the Christian view that all are children of God which led to abolition. The world did not impose slavery abolition on the Christian West; the Christian West imposed it on the world.

Likewise every muslim believer.

Let's see some of that religion's ugly history taught in schools.
I'd be good with that.

Religion in general, and Abrahamic religions in particular, are consistently reprehensible. Over the course of centuries, the evidence is solid and clear.

Religious ethics are appalling. Modern, secular ethics, are vastly superior.
Tom
Here's the problem; the people TSwizzle worships love calling the United States "A Christian nation", "A nation founded on Judeo-Christian values" and probably a bunch of cliched catchphrases I've overlooked. I've never heard of someone saying the US was founded on sharia law. It's very much a false equivalence.

Ugh, it is the Christian view that all are children of God which led to abolition.

No it isn't.

Some Christian people believed that. But the bulk of Christian people believed differently.

That's why this Christian nation, the USA, kept slavery as an institution for so long. Because there's nothing in The Bible against slavery.
Nothing.
Tom

Ugh, it is the Christian view that all are children of God which led to abolition. The world did not impose slavery abolition on the Christian West; the Christian West imposed it on the world.
Fucking hell, this took me five seconds to find;

Literally five seconds.

After it promoted, expanded and defended slavery for centuries. An ideology that was to marginalize non-believers for centuries through today.

Ugh, it is the Christian view that all are children of God which led to abolition.

No it isn't.

Some Christian people believed that. But the bulk of Christian people believed differently.

That's why this Christian nation, the USA, kept slavery as an institution for so long. Because there's nothing in The Bible against slavery.
Nothing.
Tom
The whole selling point of Christianity, that Paul espoused, was that everyone could get to heaven through Christ. God loved everyone. Everyone has value. Even the prostitute and criminal. That the USA had slavery at its start misses that slavery had always been. Today we take for granted that slavery is bad; but few people in the past would have had the view. And the US Constitution put a stop to the Atlantic slave trade. Name me any other country in 1789 that had such a law. But the seeds of aboltion begin with Christianity. Its early adherents noted the contraction between an all loving God and slavery.

I got me slaves and slave-girls. What do you mean? You condemn man to slavery, when his nature is free and possesses free will, and you legislate in competition with God, overturning his law for the human species. The one made on the specific terms that he should be the owner of the earth, and appointed to government by the Creator – him you bring under the yoke of slavery, as though defying and fighting against the divine decree.

Literally five seconds.
Ugh, why was it the Christan West and no where else where slavery was deemed wrong? Christiany allowed the argument against slavery. No other religion or society had that.

Literally five seconds.
Ugh, why was it the Christan West and no where else where slavery was deemed wrong? Christiany allowed the argument against slavery. No other religion or society had that.
I'd comment on goalpost shift, but instead I'll say;

The Incas
Cyrus the Great of Achaemenid Persia (made arguments, but failed so still applies)
Mauryan emperor Ashoka from India (made arguments, but failed so still applies)
Indigenous Australians
The Essenees (not Christian but Jewish so I'm sure you'll do more goalpost sifting)
Pretty certain Spartacus had a few things to say about slavery as well.

There is no bigger monster than someone who believes God is on their side so seriously, fuck Christianity in all of its holes. Modern day secular values, as TomC pointed out, are vastly superior.

In what way?

Tom

I mean, look at this:

pope-washing-feet.png
And bans on inter racial marriage.

Japan officially abolished slavery in 1590 - more than 200 years before the Christian west.
Did not know that. Thanks. But, obviously, that was cast aside in the 20th Century.
It was cast aside in the 16th century. Japan actually abolished slavery in 1871, one of the many reforms of the Meiji restoration.

Back
Top Bottom