• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The FIFA Football World Cup 2018

If Iceland wins tomorrow, then Argentina will need a large margin of victory against Nigeria while hoping that Croatia beats Iceland. Since Croatia is already through to the knockout stage, Argentina's chances of advancing are slim.

If Iceland wins tomorrow, then Argentina will need a large margin of victory against Nigeria while hoping that Croatia beats Iceland. Since Croatia is already through to the knockout stage, Argentina's chances of advancing are slim.

Yeah, Group D has been a bit strange - My picks for the qualifying nations from that Group before the start of the competition look like they could both be eliminated.

Australia had many chances to score especially in the second half against the Danes. Why wasn't Tim Cahill brought on to at least try to score. He couldn't possibly have been any worse!

Australia had many chances to score especially in the second half against the Danes. Why wasn't Tim Cahill brought on to at least try to score. He couldn't possibly have been any worse!

Yeah, everyone thinks that Cahill could have saved us; But he's ancient. The fella is nearly as old as me*. Or dirt.

I'm not convinced that he could have changed the result.

*OK, He's nine years younger. But we're still both ancient in football terms.

From what I saw, Argentina were woeful. I wonder if it has something to do with them having a nightclub bouncer as the coach ? But to be fair, Croatia looked the part. Two great players in Modric and Rakitic.

From what I saw, Argentina were woeful. I wonder if it has something to do with them having a nightclub bouncer as the coach ? But to be fair, Croatia looked the part. Two great players in Modric and Rakitic.
He does look like a bouncer.

Anyway, NIgeria did Argentina a big solid with its 2-0 win over Iceland.

I'll wait to see the results before I bet on any team. I'd like to know in advance the results of the match between Sweden and Germany tomorrow because Germany didn't perform too well for its first match against Mexico. If we don't get a chance to play our cousins-german, it won't be anything like a real World Cup. And having to play against any team who beat the Germans won't make it any easier. Maybe we can thank Group E for eliminating two of the best teams whatever the results to come (to close to call).
Coach EB :nervous:

Yeah, everyone thinks that Cahill could have saved us; But he's ancient. The fella is nearly as old as me*. Or dirt.

I'm not convinced that he could have changed the result.

*OK, He's nine years younger. But we're still both ancient in football terms.

He would have at least unsettled the Danes I feel.

As indifferent as I am, that was a darned good game today between Germany and Sweden. I cannot believe the turnips were so naive. Who gives away a free kick just outside the box with seconds remaining? Get in there Germany 🇩🇪 🇩🇪🇩🇪🇩🇪

As indifferent as I am, that was a darned good game today between Germany and Sweden. I cannot believe the turnips were so naive. Who gives away a free kick just outside the box with seconds remaining? Get in there Germany ???????????? ????????????????????????????????????

The Germans can't complain really. At least this time they got to Moscow. That's much better than their attempts in 1941. ????????????

Well so much for VAR with completely botched calls that prevented justice for Serbia (cheered against) and Sweden (cheered for). The Serbian striker was taken down by two defenders hugging him. And the Swede was taken down from behind with an easy lob to score.

VAR cannot resolve the human factor - it simply changes the focus of disagreement. It may resolve some situations, but there will always be disagreement.

As to the Swedes, any team that has a man advantage for more than 10 minutes and gives up a goal to lose in the last 30 seconds has only themselves to blame (and I rooted for them).

Interesting scenario for England now.

Whoever they play in the 2nd round, I think I'm right in saying that that team will be ranked below them and as such they will be expected to win. As such, there's still a banana skin ahead of them and the chance that the English media will end up putting the boot in, though not as much as after their last exit from a major tournament.

Personally, I've not welcomed the 'England can win the world cup' response which has begun to surface, albeit only here and there (thankfully). They are still, objectively, not among the favourites. To say that they can win is fine. That was always the case. But I'd hold fire on over-egging their chances just yet.

That said, they probably do have one of the best opportunities for decades of progressing. A win over a 'lesser' opponent would get them to the quarter finals (and probably immunity from blanket criticism if they at least play well but lose, if it's against a higher-ranked opponent). Not only that, but there are signs that the pre-tournament front runners (almost all of them) are not as daunting or playing as well (at least so far, which is not necessarily a guarantee of much, necessarily) as expected. Germany lost one game and scraped a narrow win in the other. Argentina are struggling. Brazil (who have already drawn with Switzerland and narrowly won, very late, against Costa Rica) are not masterly (yet). And Italy and The Netherlands are not even at the tournament. Even Spain don't seem to be at their very best.

If I had to bet now, I'd still go for Germany or Brazil. Other than that, Belgium are another team who have an unprecedented opportunity. In fact, several teams do, including England (Colombia looked good, Russia playing well, apart from today, where Uruguay are looking good against them, Portugal look good too, with Ronaldo, Spain still contenders) but I see no reason other than national optimism to single England out.

Finally, I think it was a great result for England against Panama, and they played well, but Panama were awful. Plus, I think England missed a trick in not scoring another goal, and in fact I was frustrated they didn't push for one (if only to give Sterling some confidence or Vardy a boost). I understand the thing about not necessarily wanting to win the group, but the 2nd round opponents are not known yet! So now it's left that if they draw with Belgium, group winner might be decided by drawing lots (depending on who gets more yellow cards)! Regardless of the uncertainties, they could and should imo have taken the reins of being more in control. If they had not wanted to win the group, they should have stopped at 4 goals. If they had wanted to, they should not have farted about so much in the (very boring) second half against Panama. Granted, the late Panama goal changed the dynamics, but why rely on not conceding? Even the hot temperatures does not explain it, for me. Someone said to me, 'well, you know how it is when you're 6-0 up, it's hard to stay on top of your motivation''. In a practice game or a league may, but in the 3-game round robin stage of the world's top tournament, where fine margins count?

Last edited:
VAR cannot resolve the human factor - it simply changes the focus of disagreement. It may resolve some situations, but there will always be disagreement.

As to the Swedes, any team that has a man advantage for more than 10 minutes and gives up a goal to lose in the last 30 seconds has only themselves to blame (and I rooted for them).
Their striker had an easy lob for a goal, until he was taken down from behind. He had possession and clear chance to score, with only a charging keeper in front of him. Might have missed the lob, but that was a no brainer.

The Serbian striker was taken down by two defenders, both with both hands wrapped around him. I was cheering for the Swiss, but that was a pair of yellows and PK missed. If VAR can't handle the most obvious of penalties, it is useless. There are only three games in the group stage, which makes crucial calls like those two so damning.

The Swedes could still have lost, as a second goal could have put a fire under the Germans and then they storm back. And honestly, the Swedes have no business beating the Germans, so it is hardly their fault for not holding on. The Germans were the better team on the scoreboard... eventually.

I'm broadly in favour of VAR, but I have to say that I think I've seen more really obvious infringements (especially potential penalty claims) botched than ever before. Good to see the referee in the England/Panama game taking a hard line. Consistency would be good. But then refereeing consistency has always been elusive at World Cups, because of so many referees coming from different countries where standards may be applied differently. It's also fair to say that all the officials involved are on a steep learning curve with VAR.

Not only that, but there are signs that the pre-tournament front runners (almost all of them) are not as daunting or playing as well (at least so far, which is not necessarily a guarantee of much, necessarily) as expected. Germany lost one game and scraped a narrow win in the other. Argentina are struggling. Brazil (who have already drawn with Switzerland and narrowly won, very late, against Costa Rica) are not masterly (yet). And Italy and The Netherlands are not even at the tournament. Even Spain don't seem to be at their very best.

The best teams all would be trying to spare any unnecessary effort and avoid unnecessary risk of injury to follow an optimal path to possibly victory. So, basically, they're not performing as well as they could in the first stages of the tournament and therefore it's really difficult to tell who is really in good shape.

A national team also have a hard time getting to know each other and play together. They'd need more time an they're using the first stages to get the motivation up, make the necessary adjustments of personnel around the pitch and perhaps crucially just get in the mood of playing together.

See how the Germans seem to have upgraded their potential all of a sudden against Sweden. So, let's wait to see what Spain does against Morocco in a couple of hours tonight.
EB

The Serbian striker was taken down by two defenders, both with both hands wrapped around him. I was cheering for the Swiss, but that was a pair of yellows and PK missed. If VAR can't handle the most obvious of penalties, it is useless. There are only three games in the group stage, which makes crucial calls like those two so damning.
The Swiss are living a charmed life. They got away with an obvious push in their first match that notched them an important goal, and they got away with that takedown.

On the other hand, the VAR saved Spain an embarrassing defeat when it was used to overrule the offside on the last goal.

The referee was not that goalible.
EB

Uruguay looked strong yesterday. Spain and Portugal were fortunate yesterday, and Ronaldo is very fortunate he is not sitting out the next game.

Argentina dodged disappointment today. I wonder if this will be a sufficient wake up call for the team, otherwise I don't think they will make it pass the group of 16.

Back
Top Bottom