• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Force Awakens.

Don't navigation systems make designated drivers irrelevantly? You can't tell me that people were manually driving all those flying cars on Courosant or that ships are taking off and landing from buildings in a heavily populated city without the autopilot on.

A galaxy without handrails next to bottomless pits is a probably a galaxy without designated drivers.

Excerpt from "A Death Star is born" from Star Wars Tales graphic novel Vol 1:

Meeting at the Death Star between the emperor, Vader, Tarkin, Master Designer Bevel Lemelisk, director of operations Tol Sivron:

Sidious [looking at plans of thermal exhaust port]: What about these bottomless pits, would it be too much much to ask for some safety rails?...
Sivron: It's not too much to ask, as long as you don't mind an overall budget increase of 36%.
Sidious: Oh, in that case I'll just be careful.
[to Vader] Whenever I'm on this thing, I want you with me at ALL times. the last thing I need is for some guy to sneak up behind me and throw me into one of these pits.
Vader: Yes, my master.

:cheeky:

Don't navigation systems make designated drivers irrelevantly? You can't tell me that people were manually driving all those flying cars on Courosant or that ships are taking off and landing from buildings in a heavily populated city without the autopilot on.

They could have all been driven by droids.

For all we know, it was R2D2 who was flying the X-Wing and Luke while Luke was high as shit, hallucinating about some dead desert hobo he just met. Heck, at the end he even turned off his aiming system and was still able to hit the target spot on with computer-like accuracy... or so he thought! Need any more proof? How about those missing guard rails then. Who doesnt need guard rails? Droids.

Robots are pretty much running the entire society in Star Wars, yet are treated by humans as second class, and their achievements rarely recognized.

credoconsolans said:
These are just meandering new tales with characters I don't know and have no interest in.
"Characters I don't know"? Do you know what awesome movie featured "characters I don't know"?

Star Wars
Star Wars came out roughly a bazillion years ago, and the overall concept was fresh, exciting, and beautiful to watch and listen to.

Those types of movies come out all the time these days.

"Characters I don't know"? Do you know what awesome movie featured "characters I don't know"?

Star Wars
Star Wars came out roughly a bazillion years ago, and the overall concept was fresh, exciting, and beautiful to watch and listen to.

Only if you ignore the fact that the concept was taken from Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress, just done in space.

Only if you ignore the fact that the concept was taken from Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress, just done in space.
I was talking specifically about the space and effects. The whole "journey to find oneself" is about as unoriginal a plot device. What wasn't were the droids, the elaborate puppets, and the great special effects. The story behind it was good enough to be carried along with the feel of the film. And the Ewoks were awesome until a few years after puberty.

This magic can not be reimagined and Star Wars can be good, but it will never be what the original trilogy was. It doesn't have anywhere near the canon Star Trek has, and even that franchise had to start from scratch (though with the same general footprint).

Star Wars

Maybe. But that had nothing to do with my point which was that pre-emptively criticising a movie as credoconsolans did because he isn't already familiar with the characters is not a valid criticism because the movie this is yet another sequel/spinoff to was a film in which no-one knew the characters or plot to they first watched it. It sounds like fresh and exciting is not what they are interested, but the opposite - the familiar and predictable.

Maybe. But that had nothing to do with my point which was that pre-emptively criticising a movie as credoconsolans did because he isn't already familiar with the characters is not a valid criticism because the movie this is yet another sequel/spinoff to was a film in which no-one knew the characters or plot to they first watched it. It sounds like fresh and exciting is not what they are interested, but the opposite - the familiar and predictable.
Understood.

Though, honestly, I think the film will be familiar and predictable.

Now maybe if they incorporated something like this....
[YOUTUBE]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq03xebtbeU[/YOUTUBE]

I wasn't criticizing the movie. I was criticizing the producers for not making me interested in the story.

Back
Top Bottom