• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Illusion of Self

So you believe nothing?

You have formulated nothing?

You have no mind?

Fine.

You are not like me in the least. I am not talking to another human mind then. I understand.

No. You don't understand. One cannot invent something so one can refer to oneself as an entity. You are, for the purposes of this exercise the person named untermensche. If you refer to yourself as untemensche you are repeating yourself. Referring to yourself as separate from your mind is the same thing.

For instance https://www.quora.com/Why-does-my-brain-always-tell-me-to-do-wrong-things

Is the mind singular when you can't decide between a set of options? Is the mind singular when an addict cannot modify their own behaviour? The brain responds to its acquired and stored information base and acts upon accordingly, producing both adaptive and maladaptive sets of behaviour.

The mind is precisely what a brain is doing while producing conscious experience.

You are merely talking about features of the singular mind.

It sometimes has trouble making decisions. Because it is what makes them and decisions are not always clear cut.

Addiction is about the desire to do something.

Doing what you desire to do is being in charge of your behavior.

What happens with addicts is they follow their desires but the payoff becomes less and less. So their desire becomes frustrated and irrational.

But there are also the negative effects of not taking drugs you have taken for a while and sometimes the addict is merely guiding their behavior to alleviate discomfort.

Unconscious brain activity is not the same as conscious activity, yet one precedes the other in a sequence of events and supplies conscious activity with information.

Not even the brain is 'singular' in that it is a modular system, composed of different structures and lobes working in concert, but also competing and overriding in terms of impulses and needs.

You really do need to get up to speed;

Quote;

''The preconscious contains thoughts and feelings that a person is not currently aware of, but which can easily be brought to consciousness (1924). It exists just below the level of consciousness, before the unconscious mind. The preconscious is like a mental waiting room, in which thoughts remain until they 'succeed in attracting the eye of the conscious' (Freud, 1924, p. 306).

This is what we mean in our everyday usage of the word available memory. For example, you are presently not thinking about your mobile telephone number, but now it is mentioned you can recall it with ease.

Mild emotional experiences may be in the preconscious but sometimes traumatic and powerful negative emotions are repressed and hence not available in the preconscious.

Finally, the unconscious mind comprises mental processes that are inaccessible to consciousness but that influence judgments, feelings, or behavior (Wilson, 2002).''

''The preconscious contains thoughts and feelings that a person is not currently aware of, but which can easily be brought to consciousness

I don't buy it. If it is below the level of consciousness it could just be activity without being actual thoughts. There does not need to be some other consciousness aware of this activity. Some precociousness.

There is activity that rises to the level of consciousness and activity that does not. There is no precociousness aware of thoughts before consciousness is aware of them.

The activity that is not a thought becomes a thought when something happens to it and it rises to the level of consciousness.

This is what we mean in our everyday usage of the word available memory. For example, you are presently not thinking about your mobile telephone number, but now it is mentioned you can recall it with ease.

The topic of memory is another quick dead end.

What is memory besides our experience of memories?

How does the brain store memories?

Memories are not experienced by some other consciousness either.

They either can be brought randomly or with the will to the level of consciousness or they can't.

''The preconscious contains thoughts and feelings that a person is not currently aware of, but which can easily be brought to consciousness

I don't buy it. If it is below the level of consciousness it could just be activity without being actual thoughts. There does not need to be some other consciousness aware of this activity. Some precociousness.

There is activity that rises to the level of consciousness and activity that does not. There is no precociousness aware of thoughts before consciousness is aware of them.

The activity that is not a thought becomes a thought when something happens to it and it rises to the level of consciousness.

They either can be brought randomly or with the will to the level of consciousness or they can't.

Your 'buying it' has no bearing on the research or the results. You don't want to accept it because you prefer your own beliefs.

One cannot invent something so one can refer to oneself as an entity.

You refer to a self, a consciousness, three times as "one".

The singular one that experiences all things.

Great. Except I didn't equate one with consciousness. You did so you could get your words in there and for no other reason.

Your 'buying it' has no bearing on the research or the results. You don't want to accept it because you prefer your own beliefs.

You don't understand.

The research is not telling us anything.

People are making very bad conclusions from the data.

One cannot invent something so one can refer to oneself as an entity.

You refer to a self, a consciousness, three times as "one".

The singular one that experiences all things.

Great. Except I didn't equate one with consciousness. You did so you could get your words in there and for no other reason.

You did it subconsciously.

You couldn't help yourself being a singular mind and all.

You don't understand.

The research is not telling us anything.

People are making very bad conclusions from the data.

Have you considered the possibility that you are making very bad conclusions based on the given data? What are you trying to invoke? A ghost in the machine?

No I didn't. I can explicitly state I did not equate one with anything other than one. No intermediary. No homunculus. No barter buddy. Na Da.

No I didn't. I can explicitly state I did not equate one with anything other than one. No intermediary. No homunculus. No barter buddy. Na Da.

No need for you to understand what you are doing subconsciously.

A mind is a ONE.

I am a ONE.

You will not find another thing here besides me.

A mind is a ONE.

I am a ONE.

So you know what mind is and how it works?

A mind is a ONE.

I am a ONE.

I know I am a singular one.

I experience all that is experienced by me.

I am not here with anything else.

A ONE.

How many are you?

You seem to only have one set of opinions. One point of view.

A ONE.

How many are you?

You make statements that you have not explained. What is the nature of this 'you' that you refer to? What is its function? What is its source? How does it work?

A ONE.

How many are you?

You make statements that you have not explained. What is the nature of this 'you' that you refer to? What is its function? What is its source? How does it work?

What is the nature of happiness?

That does not matter when you can experience it.

You know it by experiencing it. You know you are one thing with one set of opinions by experiencing it.

You can't know what happiness is by talking about it or by looking at the brain.

Experience cannot be reduced to language. It cannot be seen by another.

You can't use words to explain what an experience is. Good writers use words to elicit an emotional experience.

You know it by experiencing it. You know you are one thing with one set of opinions by experiencing it.

You can't know what happiness is by talking about it or by looking at the brain.

You can't use words to explain what an experience is. Good writers use words to elicit an emotional experience.

That's a no? In other words, you don't know?

That's a no? In other words, you don't know?

There is only one way to know about the mind.

To be a mind.

Back
Top Bottom