• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The left eats JK Rowling over transgender comments

Is is slightly immoral when realizing another person is almost certainly transgender to let that effect your thinking about them?

No. Thoughts are not immoral.

Do transgenders want a mind wipe so that other people see them as they see themselves?

Trans activists (not necessarily transgender people) would like trans people to be treated, for all purposes, as if those trans people were the sex that matches their gender.

Unfortunately for trans people, most trans people do not pass. Also unfortunately for trans people (or, perhaps, unfortunately for cis people), trans people also remain the sex they were born, and this has implications for sex-segregated spaces and activities. Unbelievably, trans women also feel entitled to be placed on all-women shortlists. Now, I find all-women shortlists to be unbelievably stupid, unfair to men, and insulting to women, but if you have an all-women shortlist it's because you think women, as a sex, have had some unfair deal because of their sex. Transwomen are not women and neither have they experienced the history of cis women.

As rude as Metaphor can be, I would see him as a gay man which is how he see himself.

I don't 'identify' as a gay man, so much as I recognise I am one. I don't 'identify' as a Slav, it is the reality of my genetic ancestry.I don't 'identify' as a 40 year old. I just am 40 years old.

None of the above realities depend on my beliefs about them or my wishes about them.

If a transwoman see herself as a transwoman then I can see it the same way. Aren't most of them like that anyway, with only a loud minority saying "I am a woman, full stop"?

Trans activists do not say 'transwomen are transwomen'. Trans activists and their allies say "trans women are women, period". Trans activists also believe transwomen should be treated as cis women in almost all situations, including, it seems, in medical ones. For trans activists, transmen are simply men who (may) menstruate. Prostate cancer isn't a disease that men can get, it's a disease that prostate-havers can get.

Trans activists would also like the State to enforce their religion (e.g. making misgendering somebody an offence or a legally sound reason to fire somebody), and of course they already wield enormous power to mete out extra-curial punishment of gender critical individuals.

Or, one could hypothetically agree on a compromise and say that you are a man, but less of a man, or less fully or properly a man, than a typical straight man.
I wouldn't agree to such a one-sided "compromise". Neither would Metaphor. Would you?

It wasn't a serious suggestion, and was used only to try to make a related point.
Yeah, I know. To all appearances, the related point you were trying to make with that suggestion, and with several other similar comments in your exchange, was that you perceive Metaphor's line of argument to be a lot like some of the lines of argument commonly used by conservatives against gays: lines of argument we more enlightened people all know to reject. Is that about the size of it? They propose that a gay man is less fully or properly a man than a typical straight man. Metaphor and I know better. And so do you. You were offering that non-serious suggestion precisely because you know it's wrong, yes? My point was, since you know it's wrong, I was inviting you to back up your analogy -- to exhibit the corresponding flaws Metaphor's arguments supposedly contain.

The thing is, conservative arguments against homosexuality, like all bad arguments, aren't bad because they're made by conservatives. They aren't bad because we disapprove of their conclusions. They aren't bad because they express values better people than conservatives don't share. They aren't bad because their targets rank higher than conservatives on the progressive stack. They're bad because of specific identifiable objectively false premises and/or specific identifiable fallacious reasoning steps. So if you want to refute Metaphor, it isn't enough to have your brain's pattern-matcher light up when you juxtapose his argument with a bad conservative anti-gay argument. You'd also need to actually identify an error in the bad conservative anti-gay argument, and then check Metaphor's argument to see if it contains the same error.

For instance, one popular conservative anti-gay argument is that gays are misusing their parts because a penis is primarily for impregnating women via sexual intercourse. That's why you brought up penises, isn't it? Well, that bad conservative anti-gay argument contains a false premise and an invalid inference. Can you show where Metaphor's argument contains an error corresponding to one or the other of those?

One thing I am suggesting is that we allow as much validity to 'the feeling in a person's head' that they are a certain gender (including allowing use of words like 'he/she' and 'man/woman' for example) as we do for 'the feeling in a person's head' that they are a certain orientation.
So where exactly did Metaphor propose to disallow validity to a feeling in a person's head? I don't recall him asking for trans people to not be allowed to call themselves whatever they please, or for others not to be allowed to call M2Fs "she" or F2Ms "he", or for barring trans people from engaging in whatever activities are stereotypically associated with their desired sex, as long as they aren't hurting anyone.

As to beliefs, I would argue that in the end, even preferences are essentially beliefs, psychologically and philosophically-speaking
If so, that's a failing on the part of those attempting to practice psychology and philosophy. Those fields aren't supposed to be disciplines of reality avoidance, though they're often used that way.

(both are arguably propositional attitudes)
And cats and dogs are both mammals; therefore cats are dogs. If we interpret a preference as a propositional attitude, the attitude would have to be an attitude of wanting to make a proposition become true; a belief would be an attitude of thinking the proposition is already true.

In any event, interpreting either beliefs or preferences as propositional attitudes appears to be the sort of pre-Copernican thinking that psychologists and philosophers are all-too-often guilty of. Humans aren't the center of the universe; human beliefs and preferences are not the private invention of mankind; they're an inheritance from monkeys, from lemurs, from our Cretaceous tree-shrew ancestors. It seems improbable that a tree shrew who believed her eyes about a dinosaur and preferred to get away had any attitude at all toward any proposition. Propositions hadn't been invented yet.

As to my preference for sometimes using the word 'arguably', I do that when I'm not entirely certain whether an argument, or a counter-argument, is better, although when I do it, I am leaning towards the former, yes, as in the previous sentence above.
Are you seriously leaning toward thinking calling someone a golfer because he owns golf clubs even though he never uses them for actually playing golf really is a bit like calling Metaphor a man even though he never uses his junk to impregnate women? Are you similarly leaning toward thinking the argument that I'm not quite a man and my wife isn't quite a woman because we use contraceptives is likewise a good argument?

I take it the first two descriptors - adult and human - are not being disputed - why would you dispute 'male'? A boy is male and a boy is male from birth.

I dispute the combination "adult male" - you become an adult male by undergoing puberty triggered by male hormones.

Sure, there are a handful of people with identifiably intersex conditions, but that doesn't change the truth of the overall statement. Trans people are not asking that transition depend on having an intersex condition to be valid--most trans people have no intersex conditions and are either male or female.

Yes, most. But being (biologically) male is not a unifying characteristic of trans women. Having been raised as a boy is. If Erika Schinegger had decided not to transition when she found out about her internal testicles (or if she had never found out), we would call her a cis-woman with a rare intersex condition, not a trans woman. And yet, by most definitions including the one you seem to employ, Erik Schinegger is biologically male.

Most trans women are indeed biologically male, but that relationship is indirect: It only holds because most people who are raised as boys are biologically male.

Saying "trans women are (biologically) men" is a bit like saying "men are attracted to women" - it is, statistically speaking, true of a majority of the group under discussion, but it isn't one of its defining characteristics.

Has this actually happened, with a frequency that makes this a valid concern?

It is definitely the case that transwomen who are sexually interested in women have spoken out about the "transphobic" genital preferences (or cis preferences) of lesbians. The frequency I cannot attest to.

So no.

You know what also happens: Women bullying women to have sex with them. Women bullying men to have sex with them. Men bullying men to have sex with them. Men bullying women to have sex with them. This is a problem of assholes, not a problem of transgendered people - unless you have solid evidence that trans women bullying cis women to have sex with them happens at significantly elevated rates.

Your bringing it up here is thus smearing, not a contribution to the topic at hand.

Last edited:
And? Lots of people get a bit angry when their ideologies are ridiculed. Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Your gender identity is not <expletive deleted? Prince Consort, and you are just trivialising the issue by suggesting that transgender people are similarly just making stuff up because it's good fun.
Did this part just wash over you without you noticing?

me said:
(And no, I'm not ridiculing trans people's gender identity; I'm ridiculing those activists who are attempting to make it compulsory to express agreement with them. Violating human rights is a lousy way to promote human rights.)
I did not suggest that transgender people are similarly just making stuff up because it's good fun. I was suggesting that Woke people have just made up an imaginary right-to-be-agreed-with and imputed that imaginary made-up right to transgender people because it's good propaganda. Well, I really am the husband of a bona fide descendant of a King of England. But for the historical accident that the arbitrary rules of royal nomenclature exclude certain categories of lines-of-descent, I would be included in the set of people Englishmen are expected to call "His Royal Highness".

How do you think the practice of English people calling some of their fellows "His Royal Highness" came to be part of the British dialect? What, did millions of English spontaneously feel marrying one of their princesses makes a man high? It happened because of coercion. English people faced "censure or some sort of punishment" if they didn't use whichever words for their self-appointed betters their self-appointed betters had ordained to be used.

I have exactly as much right to be the beneficiary of that sort of compulsory ideological compliance as trans people have. If my pointing this out angers you, enjoy your anger. "Anger is a weapon only in the hands of your opponent."

Hm.

Pretending your gender identity is Prince Consort is not ridiculing the activists you cite, because it has to do with the nature of gender identity, not with activists seeking to make something compulsory, which is obviously a slightly separate issue, and it could easily be said that some activists go too far in some ways and I and others have already agreed with that in principle.

You saying, thinking or even being a prince is not your gender identity, and it risks trivialising and invalidating the true nature of gender dysphoria and the social and psychological issues around it. So at the very least it's clumsy, because even as a flippant hypothetical (which would have been better presented as 'I have (or could have) an identity' not 'I have a gender identity'), it's not on a par. I doubt you actually face much discrimination and prejudice for claiming to be a prince, if you even actually strongly do feel that, which I doubt, or that the experience of being it causes you the sort of persistent distress that many transgender people suffer.

Hey, join the list of oppressed people who are outraged even though they don't really have all that much to complain about by comparison with others worse affected by something.

Last edited:
I don't 'identify' as a gay man, so much as I recognise I am one.

But all you recognise is a brain state, and that's all that a transgender person recognises too.

Let's try to keep two things separate here. One is the nature of the human experiences (or brain states or whatever) themselves, and the other is whether other people should, in their turn, have to treat someone a certain social way because of them.

On the latter, you have a point. But at times, as above, you and others appear to be implying something along the lines of 'transgender is not as real and valid a brain state as mine is, because I literally am what I think I am and they aren't'. It's as if the actual condition and the reality of it is not really being taken seriously.

ETA: see what I said to angra below. I misread your post. Sorry.

ruby sparks said:
But all you recognise is a brain state, and that's all that a transgender person recognises too.
He recognizes more than that. He recognizes that he has a penis, testicles, and generally typical characteristics of adult human males, alongside two atypical characteristics: he feels attracted to other adult human males, and not to adult human females. On the basis of that information, he reckons that he is a gay man. It seems obvious that he is correct. That is what "gay man" means.

But what brain state does a FtM transgender recognizes, that justifies the claim that that person is a man, and what brain state does a MtF transgender recognizes, that justifies the claim that that person is a woman?

ruby sparks said:
He recognizes more than that. He recognizes that he has a penis, testicles, and generally typical characteristics of adult human males, alongside two atypical characteristics: he feels attracted to other adult human males, and not to adult human females. On the basis of that information, he reckons that he is a gay man. It seems obvious that he is correct. That is what "gay man" means.

But what brain state does a FtM transgender recognizes, that justifies the claim that that person is a man, and what brain state does a MtF transgender recognizes, that justifies the claim that that person is a woman?

Yes, ok. I posted in haste and had misread what he said.

First, I take the OP point that some activists may go too far, imo.

And I do accept that being a trans woman (or man) is not generally the same as being a woman or man. I would try to make a distinction between woman (or man) by gender identity and woman (or man) in other terms (eg body parts). I think the distinctions would be a bit blurry in some cases, but by and large the general distinction is not unreasonable, imo. But to me, the former (the gender identity) is as real and valid as the latter (the body parts). I do not claim that one should trump the other, and that, I think, is what I see as the potential flaw in saying that the body parts should necessarily take precedence when we say what someone is, or indeed what they themselves say they are.

You, on the other hand, may prefer to run with 'what is traditionally meant or understood by most people', but I do not agree that that is the best or most important metric or criteria. In fact, I might even think it's not a very good one at all. Others might say 'it's the body parts that count' and I'm not sure about that either. In the end, it's all biology, both the brain and the other body parts.

This is all, of course, slightly separate from the issue of whether or not anyone should be compelled to treat or address someone a certain way.

Last edited:
I dispute the combination "adult male" - you become an adult male by undergoing puberty triggered by male hormones.

By that definition, most transwomen are indeed adult males. But, if a transwoman never underwent a male puberty because he was on puberty blockers, he is still male, and, when he reaches some chronological age that is understood to be an adult and not a juvenile, that person is an adult.

Yes, most. But being (biologically) male is not a unifying characteristic of trans women. Having been raised as a boy is. If Erika Schinegger had decided not to transition when she found out about her internal testicles (or if she had never found out), we would call her a cis-woman with a rare intersex condition, not a trans woman. And yet, by most definitions including the one you seem to employ, Erik Schinegger is biologically male.

Most trans women are indeed biologically male, but that relationship is indirect: It only holds because most people who are raised as boys are biologically male.

Saying "trans women are (biologically) men" is a bit like saying "men are attracted to women" - it is, statistically speaking, true of a majority of the group under discussion, but it isn't one of its defining characteristics.

Well, it isn't anything like that. "trans women are biologically men (or intersex)" is definitionally true. If they were not, there'd be no 'trans' part. "men are attracted to women", on the other hand, is an empirical observation.

So no.

You know what also happens: Women bullying women to have sex with them. Women bullying men to have sex with them. Men bullying men to have sex with them. Men bullying women to have sex with them. This is a problem of assholes, not a problem of transgendered people - unless you have solid evidence that trans women bullying cis women to have sex with them happens at significantly elevated rates.

Your bringing it up here is thus smearing, not a contribution to the topic at hand.

I have heard trans activists call lesbians who don't want to date transwomen 'transphobic', and they play ignorance at why lesbians might not want to date a biological man with a penis.

By that definition, most transwomen are indeed adult males. But, if a transwoman never underwent a male puberty because he was on puberty blockers, he is still male, and, when he reaches some chronological age that is understood to be an adult and not a juvenile, that person is an adult.

Well, it isn't anything like that. "trans women are biologically men (or intersex)" is definitionally true. If they were not, there'd be no 'trans' part. "men are attracted to women", on the other hand, is an empirical observation.

So no.

I have heard trans activists call lesbians who don't want to date transwomen 'transphobic', and they play ignorance at why lesbians might not want to date a biological man with a penis.

We've noticed you tend to hear a lot of things.

So no.

We've noticed you tend to hear a lot of things.

Hell, you can hear them too - there are a lot of people on youtube who discuss this stuff.

Well, it isn't anything like that. "trans women are biologically men (or intersex)" is definitionally true. If they were not, there'd be no 'trans' part.

That's just not true. A trans woman is definitionally a person who has transitioned from not being (recognized as) a woman to being, in at least some relevant sense, a woman, or wanting to be recognized as one. It doesn't have to be the only, or even the most relevant, sense. And crucially, it doesn't matter whether she was previously not recognized as a woman because she has XY chromosomes, or because she has sperm producing gonads, or because her clitoris is large enough to pass for a penis. That most trans women are biologically male is an incidental correlation that is primarily caused by the strong correlation of male babies being typically raised as boys while female babies are typically raised as girls, but it isn't part of the definition. There are trans women who are biologically not male (and never were in any meaningful sense), and there are cis women who are biologically male (in at least some relevant sense), e.g. Erika Schinegger in an alternate universe where Erika never got tested, or decided not to become Erik.

"men are attracted to women", on the other hand, is an empirical observation.

As is "men's best friends are other men", or "trans women are biologically male". All of them are true more often than not, all of them have exceptions (most of my best friends are women; you're attracted to men), and none of them are part of the definition, or logically follow from it.

It's a difficult bar to meet, but Metaphor has actually managed to have a more regressive stance on this issue than the Iranian mullahs: https://qz.com/889548/everyone-trea...also the,reassignment, but also subsidizes it.

What stance is that, exactly?

The stance that trans women should, in all relevant ways, be treated as men - and trans men as women.

Don't get me wrong, Iran is a very regressive regime in many ways, especially, though not exclusively, with respect to LGBT rights. Gay sex is actually punishable with death. In case this was unclear, this is not an example I want to see emulated anywhere else.

They do, however, accept the reality that people exist for whom their birth gender isn't a good match, allow them to transition (after a lengthy process involving several psychological and physiological evaluations, and if they're lucky enough to run into sympathetic doctors), and after the transition (according to some sources, as soon as the person has registered for surgical transition), give them all the rights of the new gender - and in some cases, the cost of the transition will be publicly subsidized. Which is actually a bigger deal than it would be elsewhere, because in Iran, a lot of laws are gender specific, and many professions are barred for women. A trans woman, being recognized as a woman, can legally marry a man, a trans man can legally, as a man, marry a woman or take up male-only professions.

It's a difficult bar to meet, but Metaphor has actually managed to have a more regressive stance on this issue than the Iranian mullahs: https://qz.com/889548/everyone-trea...also the,reassignment, but also subsidizes it.

What stance is that, exactly?

The stance that trans women should, in all relevant ways, be treated as men - and trans men as women.

That isn't Metaphor's position at all. Where has Metaphor stated that? His position is pretty clearly that transwomen are not women in the sense that they are not human females. This seems like a bare fact to me. That does not imply that transwomen, in all relevant ways, should be treated as men.

That isn't Metaphor's position at all. Where has Metaphor stated that? His position is pretty clearly that transwomen are not women in the sense that they are not human females. This seems like a bare fact to me. That does not imply that transwomen, in all relevant ways, should be treated as men.

Then you haven't read enough of his screeds on the topic.

Then you haven't read enough of his screeds on the topic.

Yes, I have. I have followed most of them. If I have missed something, it should be easy for you to point out where Metaphor claims that transwomen should be treated as men in all relevant ways.

To be more specific, there's actually an argument to be made that trans women should not be unquestioningly and unconditionally allowed into female sport leagues, as discussed in the other thread - https://talkfreethought.org/showthr...uppress-testosterone-to-play-on-women-s-teams

But that's not what this thread is about. In this thread, Metaphor has repeatedly and unambiguously stated that trans women are men, period, that there is no relevant sense in which they're women (not just that there is a relevant sense in which most trans women are men, which is something I could agree with), that trans women have no place in female locker rooms or bathrooms (without even any qualifications as to whether they've surgically transitioned or not), even if it can be shown that they're at high risk if male bathrooms/locker rooms, and that it personally offends him that somewhere on this planet, a trans woman and a cis woman having sex might consider themselves Lesbians.

Maybe he also thinks that there are some relevant ways in which trans women should or could be treated as women without him getting enraged about the very idea, but he hasn't offered any and I'm hard pressed to think of what might be left.

Also, talking about undisputable biological facts, it is an undisputable biological fact that a lot more can go wrong in the development of male external genitals than in the development of female external genitals. Not least because male genitals develop from something very much akin to female genitals during embryonal development. It is therefore an undisputed fact that most intersex babies are genetically male.

It is also an undisputed fact that a surgical intervention that subtracts is easier to perform than one that adds. It's for this reason that a lot of genetically male and phenotypically intersex babies are assigned female, and often have major parts of their genitals removed in "corrective" surgery very early in their lives. If a (genetically male) baby is born with a split scrotum and an underdeveloped penis, common practice is, or was until recently, to take away most of the visible part of the penis so that it would pass for a normal clitoris soon after birth. Yes, it's as cruel as it sounds.

Anyone deserving the label "men's rights activist" should be up in arms about this cruel treatment of some genetically male babies at the hands of society believing in the delusion of binary sex so strongly that it considers anything departing from it as needing surgical intervention. I can get pretty enraged about that, and I don't call myself that.

But Metaphor is not only silent about the fate of intersex children, he handwaves it away when others bring it up. This shows that his crusade isn't about actual injustices, but about people who have the audaciousness to question a naive-biological binary view of sex.

ETA: In other words, we live in a world where male babies routinely have, or had, most of their genitals removed with society's blessing and without the ability to consent, but that's not what he wants to talk about. Instead, he chooses to point fingers at consenting adults.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom