• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Left Gone Wild

I have no problem with anyone wearing a political t-shirt, even if I don't support the candidate, but I know based on the many articles I've read about the threats that a lot of the hardcore gun loving Trump supporters have made towards those who oppose Trump, or who are involved with prosecuting him, make me hesitate to use my own free speech.
What were you going to use your free speech for exactly? I suspect you were going to go all Karen on his ass.

I'd be happy to have some of the newest arrivals come to my city. Every immigrant from the Southern border I've met has been a good person. They have been hard workers, and friendly. When I need work done on my home, I always prefer immigrants. They usually do the best work at a competitive price.

By competitive what you really mean is cheaper. And this is exactly why we need so many of these immigrants who will work for less than the arbitrary minimum wage.
Technically it isn't just wage, it is the job. Like some meat processing. The pay is actually "high", but it is awful for your hands, both in wear 'n tear and losing digits. Immigrants also do a bunch of the very legal dirty jobs that pay legal wages as well that domestic people don't want to do.

Are you insinuating that the shooters were radical leftists?

Perhaps you haven't noticed that gun violence has been all over the place, but I don't think it's the radical Leftists that have made it easy for just about anyone, who hasn't been guilty of a felony, to buy a gun legally. My Republican governor did away with background checks to carry concealed. I'm pretty sure he's not a radical Leftist. So while I have no doubt there is crime in Seattle, I don't think it's due to radical Leftism.

Regardless of location, it's the far right that has worshipped guns and made it impossible to create reasonable gun laws. And, we have SCOTUS to thank for their help in creating the most insane gun culture I've ever seen.
The point is that its the policies of the politicians running the city (most, if not all, lefties) that are largely responsible for the civil disorder that is taking place in Seattle. The political leanings of those doing the crime is not really the issue.
While public policy likely has an impact regarding some drug use, homeless encampments, etc... I think the idea of it being responsible for "civil disorder" seems misplaced. The rural portion of the US has seen gun violence / violence in general, increase as it has in urban areas. This implies a much larger trend that Seattle politics and public safety management.

Though I find it hilariously comical, people against gun reform complaining about gun violence.

You seem to have taken liberties with what I said. I used the words "largely responsible" whereas your rehash of what I said is, "... I think the idea of it being responsible for "civil disorder"..., which implies that I said its "solely responsible".
Seriously, "largely responsible" verses "solely responsible". While "solely" is a bit outside context and should have been worded differently, it isn't that far from your faulty statement. Saying something is "largely responsible" implies just that, it has a major and super-majority impact in an effect.
You on the other hand, seem to have overly minimized city policy influence by use of the language, "... likely has an impact on some..." which leaves open the option that it may not have any responsibility at all. Which seems to be far more incredulous than my use of the word "largely".
So pedentism to ignore the issue of your claim then?

For those who prefer clarity over needlessly complex statements: Collective responsibility & oversimplifications = bad.

As usual, it depends. Gangs like Crips, Bloods, Aryan Brotherhood sanction violence. If leaders who make the gang rules sanction murders, then they are responsible. If some gang member drives the getaway car and the robber gang member murders a victim, the driver is held responsible for murder in most states. Because they know violence is always a possibility. Then to proceed is accepting responsibility.

Your argument concurs with the statement "collective responsibility & oversimplification = bad" in the context of our conversation. The situations you've outlined don't equate to support for the logic that if a Blood member kills a Crip, any random Blood encountered can be charged for that crime. Maybe I missed something. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Immigrants also do a bunch of the very legal dirty jobs that pay legal wages as well that domestic people don't want to do.
This is so true. As Kelly Osborne so eloquently put it, we need Latinos to clean our toilets (for minimum wage or below).

I have no problem with anyone wearing a political t-shirt, even if I don't support the candidate, but I know based on the many articles I've read about the threats that a lot of the hardcore gun loving Trump supporters have made towards those who oppose Trump, or who are involved with prosecuting him, make me hesitate to use my own free speech.
What were you going to use your free speech for exactly? I suspect you were going to go all Karen on his ass.

I'd be happy to have some of the newest arrivals come to my city. Every immigrant from the Southern border I've met has been a good person. They have been hard workers, and friendly. When I need work done on my home, I always prefer immigrants. They usually do the best work at a competitive price.

By competitive what you really mean is cheaper. And this is exactly why we need so many of these immigrants who will work for less than the arbitrary minimum wage.
No, I mean what they charge is reasonable and in line with other providers. You have a bad habit of reading things into what other people say. I paid 3500 dollars to a small company owned by immigrants to have a ceiling painted and some wood work repaired that had been damage by my two pet birds. They didn't paint the wood work, just patched it up a bit. I also gave them 100 dollars so they could get some take out for dinner, after a hard day's work. I don't think what they charged me was in the low range where I live. The last time I had work done, I got three estimates. Theirs was in the middle of the range. Stop projecting.

No, I mean what they charge is reasonable and in line with other providers. You have a bad habit of reading things into what other people say. I paid 3500 dollars to a small company owned by immigrants to have a ceiling painted and some wood work repaired that had been damage by my two pet birds. They didn't paint the wood work, just patched it up a bit. I also gave them 100 dollars so they could get some take out for dinner, after a hard day's work. I don't think what they charged me was in the low range where I live. The last time I had work done, I got three estimates. Theirs was in the middle of the range. Stop projecting.

With the influx of highly skilled tradesmen (and healthcare workers) coming in over the border, the competition for business will result in you getting more "competitive" bids for your jobs. That's a good thing.

And by the way, since "we are a nation of immigrants", aren't all small independent businesses owned by immigrants. Or is there some hard generational line that stops the company being an immigrant owned company?

Telling RW Trumpsuckers not to put words in your mouth infringes on their rights. Like obeying laws does. That’s why they want to elect an anti-American crime boss who will make sure no laws apply to him or anyone he designates as a supporter.

Technically it isn't just wage, it is the job. Like some meat processing. The pay is actually "high", but it is awful for your hands, both in wear 'n tear and losing digits. Immigrants also do a bunch of the very legal dirty jobs that pay legal wages as well that domestic people don't want to do.
I understand that. I also worked for insanely low wages as a professional nurse for 42 years. While most of my positions weren't physically intense, hospital nurses often literally end up with severe back injuries, and deterioration of other body parts due to the physical work. So, there are lots of jobs that Americans do that are physically intense. And, I am totally aware of the horrible jobs that immigrants do that few American are willing to do. But, as long as the wages are reasonable, along with decent benefits, and the individual chooses to take the job, I think they should be permitted to do it. I recall several years ago, farmers tried to lure Americans into taking jobs that were usually filled by immigrants. Most of them didn't last more than a day.

I once had a patient who was part of a family of immigrants. They told me that they came here to do farm work, but after a few years, they were able to work their way up to something not as physically draining. Hopefully, most people who start out with one of the worst jobs will have other opportunities as they gain experience. I started out as a hospital nurse. It was intensely stressful and physically draining, but after a couple of years, I had many other opportunities that were not quite as stressful or at all physically draining. I have a close friend who works in retail an assistant manager. She has to do a lot of lifting, which has already taken its toll on her back and neck and she's in her early 50s. Neck injuries or deterioration are common among retail workers, especially if they have to stock shelves. My point is that there are countless jobs that are physically draining and there are usually opportunities to move on to something else. Many immigrants start their own businesses, such as the ones that have done some work in my house. But, I'm fully aware that it's usually immigrants that do some of the worst jobs. And sadly, the Republican Party in a few states have passed laws to allow for child labor in some of these awful jobs, including meat packaging. No 14 year old should be doing such horrible work.

Immigrants also do a bunch of the very legal dirty jobs that pay legal wages as well that domestic people don't want to do.
This is so true. As Kelly Osborne so eloquently put it, we need Latinos to clean our toilets (for minimum wage or below).
Do you even remember the last time you posted a non-sarcastic post?

I'm using my free speech as permitted by the rules here, just like you are using your free speech.

Yesterday, I wanted to tell my husband to check out the guy's shirt but didn't want him to over hear me in case he was a nut job with a gun. The way the climate is now, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable wearing a t-shirt with a liberal political message. Restaurants here are usually tuned into Faux News. I don't trust some of the Trump nuts. Most are probably harmless, but a creepy man with a gun, wearing a shirt with Trump's ugly face, implying that he never committed a crime, and he should be president is a bit off putting to me.

I had no intention to speaking to the man. I'm just not a fan of guns being displayed in public, especially along with political messages like that one Sure, it's perfectly legal, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize it, at least for now....Trump has already threatened to investigate NBC and take away their license if he becomes president, yet it's okay for hm to threaten those who criticize him or investigate his crimes. Of course he wouldn't have the legal power to deny anyone their free speech, but who knows what a second Trump term would bring if his trumpsuckres controlled congress?

Then again, considering your favorite source of news, you may not be aware of some of the things that man says..It's not like any source of so called news owned by Murdoch isn't going to full of disinformation......It's one thing for a news source to lean right or left, but the Murdoch group is totally biased and full of lies.

I'm using my free speech as permitted by the rules here, just like you are using your free speech.

Yesterday, I wanted to tell my husband to check out the guy's shirt but didn't want him to over hear me in case he was a nut job with a gun. The way the climate is now, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable wearing a t-shirt with a liberal political message. Restaurants here are usually tuned into Faux News. I don't trust some of the Trump nuts. Most are probably harmless, but a creepy man with a gun, wearing a shirt with Trump's ugly face, implying that he never committed a crime, and he should be president is a bit off putting to me.

If you start getting an episode of the vapors just because you see a shirt you don't like, I think the problem lies with you.

In any event, we see plenty of instances of lefties getting physical at the sight of a MAGA hat or a pro-life information desk or having a hissy fit if a speaker they don't like is appearing at an event or if someone utters the heresy of there being two genders.

If you start getting an episode of the vapors just because you see a shirt you don't like, I think the problem lies with you.
You're insistence on ignoring what she said and making up stuff that you prefer to believe looks like Faith-based assertions.
Tom

Who do you think is going to clean the toilets? (or work in meat packing plants etc) The liberal arts graduates saddled with six figure student debt?

It's not sarcasm. This is the way elitists think. Kelly Osborne said it out loud and got pelters for it.

Pretty ironic coming from someone who has an orgasm every time the Daily Fail prints a an alleged President Biden gaffe.

So far it seems that we all acknowledge the importance of immigrants in various sectors of the economy and challenge the stereotypes that often overshadow individual experiences, contributions & opinions.

From my personal interactions with immigrants over the years, I've noticed a shift. Those who arrived in their 20s, about 30 years ago, would often save money to send back to El Salvador, where it held more value than in the U.S. However, now, due to deteriorating living conditions in El Salvador, their children and even themselves are migrating to the U.S. in search of a better life.

In the '90s and early 2000s, many (now elder immigrants) didn't view earning below the U.S. minimum wage as underpayment. By putting their money together to cover their U.S. living expenses and sending the rest back to El Salvador, their financial situation often improved compared to living in El Salvador. I'm not endorsing underpayment or assuming all immigrants had the same experience. However, I know of cases where, despite my pushing for higher wages, I understood their rationale for not wanting to pursue it. It's also important to mention that being illegally in the US was another reason some had no interest in causing a fuss over wages.

I remember that. Poor Kelly, she sure took a beating on that one. At least she didn't refer to them as Latinx, so she gets a thumbs up from me for that.

Who do you think is going to clean the toilets? (or work in meat packing plants etc) The liberal arts graduates saddled with six figure student debt?

It's not sarcasm. This is the way elitists think. Kelly Osborne said it out loud and got pelters for it.

To be open, I've worked shit jobs in my life and neither myself nor many others are immigrants. Many people are willing to clean toilets. It's just some people want to pay less and the opportunity comes up more for undocumented people. It's a black market of labor.

Trump has already threatened to investigate NBC and take away their license if he becomes president, yet it's okay for hm to threaten those who criticize him or investigate his crimes.

Yeah good old fashioned “Lock her up and it’s unAmerican to try to lock up your political opponents” hypocrisy - Cheato’s stock in trade.

And by the way, since "we are a nation of immigrants", aren't all small independent businesses owned by immigrants. Or is there some hard generational line that stops the company being an immigrant owned company?
Yes, it's the hard line between the owner immigrated or the owner didn't immigrate. "Immigrant" is not hereditary.

In any event, we see plenty of instances of lefties getting physical at the sight of a MAGA hat or a pro-life information desk or having a hissy fit if a speaker they don't like is appearing at an event or if someone utters the heresy of there being two genders.
For every leftie with fragile delicate snowflake feelings there are five MAGA-tards grabbing pitchforks over green M&Ms, Bud Light or something equally asinine, Daily Mail outrage boy.

Back
Top Bottom