• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The mercy of the relatively short human lifespan

excreationist

Married mouth-breather
Basic Beliefs
Probably in a simulation
I think it is good that it seems that humans aren't capable of living forever. That way any possible suffering would eventually have an end. On the other hand many Christians believe that most people are going to suffer forever in hell. Forever is a very long time. A googol is a 1 with 100 zeroes. A googolplex is a 1 with a googol zeroes. That is an infinitesimal fraction of an eternity. And what would be far worse is if people couldn't get used to the suffering in hell - if the agony would remain unbearable forever.

I believe in a kind of reincarnation involving a kind of video game like in the Roy game:

or Alan Watts' dream thought experiment:

But I think these would definitely eventually come to an end due to the end of useful energy in the outer universe, etc.

I think it is good that it seems that humans aren't capable of living forever. That way any possible suffering would eventually have an end. On the other hand many Christians believe that most people are going to suffer forever in hell. Forever is a very long time. A googol is a 1 with 100 zeroes. A googolplex is a 1 with a googol zeroes. That is an infinitesimal fraction of an eternity. And what would be far worse is if people couldn't get used to the suffering in hell - if the agony would remain unbearable forever.
Some people have speculated that any kind of eternal life would be torture especially if spent while married. Of course, none of us can know what that would be like. As far as I can tell, this limited life is the only life we have. Let's live that life as we eat, drink, and make merry!

Why did Paul fail to mention sex?

Some people have speculated that any kind of eternal life would be torture especially if spent while married. Of course, none of us can know what that would be like. As far as I can tell, this limited life is the only life we have. Let's live that life as we eat, drink, and make merry!

Why did Paul fail to mention sex?
About marriage in the afterlife:
Matthew 22:30
At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.

OK, now I need to know: What are the angels in heaven like, specifically with regards to their sex liives?

Is it just one big free-for-all orgy? A series of no strings relationships? An eternal cycle of one night stands?

Matthew really needs to learn that it's pointless to make a simile when your audience isn't familiar with the object of comparison.

Or was it commonly known in Matthew's day just exactly what the angels in heaven were like, and what they got up to (nudge, nudge; wink, wink; say no more...)?

What to know what angels are like, and what they do? Just Open the Bible.

We learn, for example, that angels can see — they even see the face of God! — even though they have no eyeballs or retinas. Really! And they talk, even they have no mouths or vocal cords.

Nothing about having sex, unfortunately, If they do have sex, though, it seems safe to say that they aren’t parking the pink Cadillac in the garage of love, since angels would lack both Cadillacs and garages.

What to know what angels are like, and what they do? Just Open the Bible.

We learn, for example, that angels can see — they even see the face of God! — even though they have no eyeballs or retinas. Really! And they talk, even they have no mouths or vocal cords.

Nothing about having sex, unfortunately, If they do have sex, though, it seems safe to say that they aren’t parking the pink Cadillac in the garage of love, since angels would lack both Cadillacs and garages.
So, at the resurrection, will people too lack both Cadillacs and garages? Matthew is derelict in his duty to let us know, given his apparent authority in the matter, and the inevitable desire of people now alive to know whether this central element of their happiness and desire will continue into their afterlives.

Matthew really needs to learn that it's pointless to make a simile when your audience isn't familiar with the object of comparison.
Matthew 22:30 just implies that angels can't get married. Though Mormons who might believe that verse is the truth also believe that humans could be married in the afterlife, possibly to many women.
A related verse about King Solomon:
1 Kings 11:3
He had seven hundred wives of royal birth and three hundred concubines, and his wives led him astray.

Matthew 22:30 just implies that angels can't get married. Though Mormons who might believe that verse is the truth also believe that humans could be married in the afterlife, possibly to many women.
A related verse about King Solomon:
1 Kings 11:3
He had seven hundred wives of royal birth and three hundred concubines, and his wives led him astray.
That's pretty impressive.

Particularly as he lived long before the invention of the concubine harvester.

Back
Top Bottom