• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Newsman

Actually there is a group whose number is growing daily and which is swamping our public services - Cerberus has just misindentified the problem group. It is the elderly. But they do share some characteristics with the "bad sort" of immigrants identified by ronburgundy - they are generally more right-wing than the rest of the population - especially on social issues like gay rights, and in supporting religious based laws - and many of them do not share our secular, post-enlightenment values.

Elderly fascists will be dead soon and not having any impact on the culture or politics. The same is not true of the younger people whose fascistic values come not from former times, but from the current places that they were socialized in before migrating to places that have spent centuries evolving beyond those values. The immigrants are having more kids than average and teaching them those right wing values. Sure, their kids won't be as extreme as their parents, but still well to the right of the larger culture.
Also, the elderly are not nearly as right-wing extreme on social issues as Muslim immigrants. 95% of Muslims living in London view homosexuality as unacceptable, versus only 34% of the National population, which includes representative numbers of the elderly. On abortion the difference is 90% versus 42%.
Those numbers actually underestimate how far right Muslim immigrants are relative to their host country. First, because the general population numbers come from the whole country and not just London where views are significantly more liberal. Also, the survey included all Muslims living in the UK, not just immigrants, and other studies show immigrants are notably right to UK-born Muslims.

Actually there is a group whose number is growing daily and which is swamping our public services - Cerberus has just misindentified the problem group. It is the elderly. But they do share some characteristics with the "bad sort" of immigrants identified by ronburgundy - they are generally more right-wing than the rest of the population - especially on social issues like gay rights, and in supporting religious based laws - and many of them do not share our secular, post-enlightenment values.

Elderly fascists will be dead soon and not having any impact on the culture or politics. The same is not true of the younger people whose fascistic values come not from former times, but from the current places that they were socialized in before migrating to places that have spent centuries evolving beyond those values. The immigrants are having more kids than average and teaching them those right wing values. Sure, their kids won't be as extreme as their parents, but still well to the right of the larger culture.
Also, the elderly are not nearly as right-wing extreme on social issues as Muslim immigrants. 95% of Muslims living in London view homosexuality as unacceptable, versus only 34% of the National population, which includes representative numbers of the elderly. On abortion the difference is 90% versus 42%.
Those numbers actually underestimate how far right Muslim immigrants are relative to their host country. First, because the general population numbers come from the whole country and not just London where views are significantly more liberal. Also, the survey included all Muslims living in the UK, not just immigrants, and other studies show immigrants are notably right to UK-born Muslims.

You are seriously naive if you believe that what older people, fascists or of any ideology, will not have an impact on culture or politics long after they are dead. Please consider your concerns about Muslims, who are following (and depending on your sect, misinterpreting) the teachings of a prophet who has been dead for a very long time now, and even more the teachings of cultural leaders who lived and died long before Mohamed.

Consider as well, revolutions which attempted to wipe out the history and culture of a population and re-imagine society according to their own philosophy: The Viet Cong, for instance. Maoists, for another. In the US, we overthrew the British Monarchy and have since come to worship a host of celebrities of various degrees of talent to worthiness as near royalty.

Back some time ago, when the revolution in Iran was just getting started, I worked with a number of individuals from a Muslim country, one that was quite conservative, actually. For the day. These days, what makes it to press is much more conservative because it is dangerous to be an outlier among your brethren. I had a number of very open and frank conversations about homosexuality and how much the individuals who initiated the conversation admired the US openness and relative acceptance of homosexuality, and other issues of the day.

When a society or culture, and religious traditions count but are hardly the only cultural entity--any society or culture- but since you have brought up Muslims, we'll go with Muslims, feels threatened, feels as though their way of life is being threatened, then there emerges a much more radical group which defines or redefines the nature of the group and becomes the revolutionaries which will defend that culture.

Every culture has traditions and beliefs which are admirable and worthy of keeping. I greatly admired my Muslim coworkers devotion to family, friendship, and their tradition of recognizing the plight of the poor and feeding them, especially during Ramadan. There were other traditions I did not admire.

These days, I could not have the job I had back then because I am not Muslim. In fact, I was hired precisely because I was a nice American girl. Times change. But the core of the people is the same. Hearts and minds and winning them over is the way to go.

You read it wrongly - you should have read it as '3 million in as many years' ie. in 3 years. I'd have thought that was obvious!

Cerb,

This has the makings of a good, even great, internet discussion.

So, If someone asks me "What is as many as 3 million?" would I be right or wrong to answer "3 million"?

Its a hard one indeed and may need the services of a grammarian to adjudicate. :sadyes:

Alex.

Context is everything?

Cerb,

So, If someone asks me "What is as many as 3 million?" would I be right or wrong to answer "3 million"?

Its a hard one indeed and may need the services of a grammarian to adjudicate. :sadyes:

Alex.

Context is everything?

Yes Cerberus, it is.

Take the word FUCK for example...

eg:

fuck you on it's own would be rude. It needs the rest of the context in order for it not to be rude.

Have you a substantive point to make, or is making idiotically vapid 'hit and run' comments your usual style?

Your post had no intellectual substance except to express your frighteningly fascistic values and disdain for human liberty for which Hitler is a highly valid comparison. I was expressing disturbed surprise that any person on this board would hold such views.

... The reason that I loathe liberals is because they're too dull-witted to predict the problems their flawed rationale are sure to generate; then they suddenly shut their gobs and leave it to others to clear up the chaos they've inflicted on everybody else. Topically, it's why infantilised Western societies are about to find themselves at the mercy of Islamic State . . . who will make 'Hitler' :)rolleyes: hysterical, or what!) seem like a pussy-cat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cerb,

Alex.

Context is everything?

cerb,

I see the defence you are employing. Your argument seems to be that '3 million' does (or does not) represent 3 million given the context in which it is used.

Maybe context could be relevant in cases of irony, sarcasm or what is known as 'poetic exaggeration', but I'm not sure that your sentence is of that literary form. When you say "3 million in as many years" it sounds to me that you are simply stating a quantity, which is 'as many as 3 million'.

If, you are (as I suspect) stating a quantity, would it not be easier and clearer to state a quantity? For example: if we write ' 3 hundred', ' 3 thousand' or '3 million' why should we expect '3 hundred' to represent something else, such as '3 thousand' or '3 million'; why should we expect '3 million' to represent '3 hundred or 3 thousand' and why should we expect '3 thousand to represent '3 hundred or 3 million'.

This just seems over complicated to me. However, I have an open mind, and would be interested to hear more of your theory.

Alex.

Context is everything?

cerb,

I see the defence you are employing. Your argument seems to be that '3 million' does (or does not) represent 3 million given the context in which it is used.

Maybe context could be relevant in cases of irony, sarcasm or what is known as 'poetic exaggeration', but I'm not sure that your sentence is of that literary form. When you say "3 million in as many years" it sounds to me that you are simply stating a quantity, which is 'as many as 3 million'.

If, you are (as I suspect) stating a quantity, would it not be easier and clearer to state a quantity? For example: if we write ' 3 hundred', ' 3 thousand' or '3 million' why should we expect '3 hundred' to represent something else, such as '3 thousand' or '3 million'; why should we expect '3 million' to represent '3 hundred or 3 thousand' and why should we expect '3 thousand to represent '3 hundred or 3 million'.

This just seems over complicated to me, indeed some could even say 'wrong'! However, I have an open mind, and would be interested to hear more of your theory.

Alex.

Personally if someone said/wrote '3 million refugees entered the country in as many years', I'd assume (and I'd assume anyone would assume) they meant '3 million refugees entered the country in 3 years' rather than 'in 3 million years'. I'm surprised it doesn't meant to same to you - unless you are that 'someone', and seeking to take pedantry to a new high?

Yes Cerberus, it is.

Take the word FUCK for example...

eg:

fuck you on it's own would be rude. It needs the rest of the context in order for it not to be rude.

What are you talking about now? Are you on something??

I am talking about your 'assumption' that context is not important.. and yes I am on something.. my couch.. :p

Personally if someone said/wrote '3 million refugees entered the country in as many years', I'd assume (and I'd assume anyone would assume) they meant '3 million refugees entered the country in 3 years' rather than 'in 3 million years'. I'm surprised it doesn't meant to same to you - unless you are that 'someone', and seeking to take pedantry to a new high?

Cerb,

I'm just being helpful. :smile:

It seems that you have abandoned justification of your own grammar, which I think is a wise move as it didn't make sense. Now, you are talking about what people might assume on reading your words. Well a reader can assume anything they wish, but that is not my interest in this context.

My interest is in helping you to express your ideas clearly and concisely to best effect.

Alex.

Cerb,

It seems that you have abandoned justification of your own grammar, which I think is a wise move as it didn't make sense. Now, you are talking about what people might assume on reading your words. Well a reader can assume anything they wish, but that is not my interest in this context.

My interest is in helping you to express your ideas clearly and concisely to best effect.

Alex.

I'm a published writer - I don't need your help!

Cerb,

Alex.

So you may be able to show where you got your "3 million in 3 years" from without help?

You are seriously naive if you believe that what older people, fascists or of any ideology, will not have an impact on culture or politics long after they are dead.
Please consider your concerns about Muslims, who are following (and depending on your sect, misinterpreting) the teachings of a prophet who has been dead for a very long time now, and even more the teachings of cultural leaders who lived and died long before Mohamed.

The issue is that, once dead, they can no longer do anything to impact the culture. The fact that they did things in the past whose effects are still observable is a separate issue, and applies to all people. Most of the impact that the elderly had on culture, they already had and is manifest in the culture, so it isn't changing the culture for the worse after they die. Extremely rare instances of the one in a billion whose ideas only impact after they are dead are beside the point. The more meaningful impact is on how each individual everyday person impacts their community by their words, actions, voting, etc..

I (and the research I cited) am not referring to meaningless anecdotes or non-representative "radicals" but rather to the overwhelming super-majority of Muslims that reside in the UK and other western-and northern European countries. Of course dangerous right-wing theocrats who threaten basic liberties also have good qualities. That is no more true of Muslims, than of the most extreme right wingers in the US, every racist cop, and the Nazis. So how is that at all relevant to a meaningful discussion of whether Muslim immigrants threaten secular, liberal, post-enlightenment values that we are simultaneously trying to advance and protect from these other groups as well?

Intolerance and authoritarianism are central to the values of Islam, as they are to the Bible. They are not "radicalizations" of these views produced by external threat. How are US fundamentalists actually "threatened"? They manufacture false "threats" to rationalize their intolerant aggression. External threats to Muslim nations increase commitment to Islam, which means increase commitment to its inherently intolerant and authoritarian values. But people socialized to deeply accept Islam and/or hold those values it endorses, then have those values regardless of whether they are actually threatened. Not to mention, mere tolerance and secularism are threats to the core values of Abrahamic religion, so their is no way to uphold tolerance and secularism without some perception of threat.

Hearts and minds and winning them over is the way to go.

Sure, our foreign policy approach has mostly harmed any internal evolution and secular enlightenment in the Muslim world. But even with radical change in such policies, such an evolution takes centuries. Meanwhile, we'll have many generations of extreme radical right-wingers opposed to the most core values of secular democracy flooding into secular democracies, and no "hearts and minds" approach is going to get them to suddenly abandon those values. Suppose that Europe got tough on its own home-grown neo-Nazis and booted them out. Would you welcome many millions of hard-core neo-Nazi immigrants into the US and your neighborhood, because after all, many of them probably have strong devotion to family and friendship?

You are seriously naive if you believe that what older people, fascists or of any ideology, will not have an impact on culture or politics long after they are dead.
Please consider your concerns about Muslims, who are following (and depending on your sect, misinterpreting) the teachings of a prophet who has been dead for a very long time now, and even more the teachings of cultural leaders who lived and died long before Mohamed.

The issue is that, once dead, they can no longer do anything to impact the culture. The fact that they did things in the past whose effects are still observable is a separate issue, and applies to all people. Most of the impact that the elderly had on culture, they already had and is manifest in the culture, so it isn't changing the culture for the worse after they die. Extremely rare instances of the one in a billion whose ideas only impact after they are dead are beside the point. The more meaningful impact is on how each individual everyday person impacts their community by their words, actions, voting, etc..

I (and the research I cited) am not referring to meaningless anecdotes or non-representative "radicals" but rather to the overwhelming super-majority of Muslims that reside in the UK and other western-and northern European countries. Of course dangerous right-wing theocrats who threaten basic liberties also have good qualities. That is no more true of Muslims, than of the most extreme right wingers in the US, every racist cop, and the Nazis. So how is that at all relevant to a meaningful discussion of whether Muslim immigrants threaten secular, liberal, post-enlightenment values that we are simultaneously trying to advance and protect from these other groups as well?

Intolerance and authoritarianism are central to the values of Islam, as they are to the Bible. They are not "radicalizations" of these views produced by external threat. How are US fundamentalists actually "threatened"? They manufacture false "threats" to rationalize their intolerant aggression. External threats to Muslim nations increase commitment to Islam, which means increase commitment to its inherently intolerant and authoritarian values. But people socialized to deeply accept Islam and/or hold those values it endorses, then have those values regardless of whether they are actually threatened. Not to mention, mere tolerance and secularism are threats to the core values of Abrahamic religion, so their is no way to uphold tolerance and secularism without some perception of threat.

Sure, our foreign policy approach has mostly harmed any internal evolution and secular enlightenment in the Muslim world. But even with radical change in such policies, such an evolution takes centuries. Meanwhile, we'll have many generations of extreme radical right-wingers opposed to the most core values of secular democracy flooding into secular democracies, and no "hearts and minds" approach is going to get them to suddenly abandon those values. Suppose that Europe got tough on its own home-grown neo-Nazis and booted them out. Would you welcome many millions of hard-core neo-Nazi immigrants into the US and your neighborhood, because after all, many of them probably have strong devotion to family and friendship?
Oh poppycock.

You cannot maintain the same argument throughout one entire post! How are you to be taken seriously?

First you insist that once people die, they no longer exert influence and next you are insisting that the current radical wave will last generations.

Maybe pick a point, think it through and then decide whether there's merit and logic to it.

Fact is that the current wave of radicalism is fairly new. Do you have even the slightest understanding of what it's about? Because you seem not to have the foggiest notion of anything not gleaned from some right wing YouTube video.

Being a published writer does not, in fact, imply someone is better than non-published individuals at writing words and writing them correctly. Something that a published writer with first-hand knowledge of the publishing industry should be well aware of.

Nice guy he might be (or not - who would know?) but he and thousands and thousands like him are a threat to our way of life in that they are over-stretching our public services. We should have prepared for this eventuality years ago - now it's too late (even down there in the West country, as you'll find out one day!)

I don't think the ones like him are the threat. It's the ones that don't try so hard that are the problem.

You are ALWAYS CONCERNED with how hard others work. How friggin hard do you work? You have no sense of what it is like to be that person struggling with language issues and prejudiced people in a strange land. Yes, Muslim culture is right wing, but the poorer classes are essentially trampled by Muslim culture. These people need to reorient themselves completely to adapt to the place they have taken themselves...the along come foreman Loren...better get to working harder...some kind of expert. I bet the average immigrant could teach you a few things.

Oh poppycock.

You cannot maintain the same argument throughout one entire post! How are you to be taken seriously?

First you insist that once people die, they no longer exert influence and next you are insisting that the current radical wave will last generations.

???? The two have nothing to do with each other. New waves of immigrants come in with the same extreme right-wing religious values to replace those who die. The immigrant communities are constantly replenished with recent immigrants and their medieval values. Also, the elderly natives already raised their kids. Their kids are who are represented most among the national samples who are very liberal and secular compared to the resident Muslim populations. In contrast, the immigrants are still having and raising their kids, so the impact of their extreme right-wing theocratic values they impart to their kids has not occurred yet. IOW, the immigrants are having an impact while they are alive, socializing their kids, and continuing to immigrate.

Maybe pick a point, think it through and then decide whether there's merit and logic to it.

Maybe apply an ounce of rational thought to what you read and to the issue, rather than engaging in mindless knee-jerk ideology.
The fact that there are multiple factors that favor my position and refute yours, and the fact that I am capable of understanding multiple ideas at once is not a failing on my part.

Back
Top Bottom