• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Obits

Sad. I was thinking of posting about this. I had watched a youtube video about him just a couple of months ago. He was a colorful character, and that squirrel was his prized pet. Burt Reynolds was the one who recommended him for his famous role in Deliverance. The two worked together as cowboy stuntmen on some wild west amusement park when they were young.

That famous scene still gives me the willies, as many times as I have seen it:

Apparently, there is/was some sort of tourist outfit that would take you down that same river in Georgia. You can even stop and explore at the very spot where that scene took place. It's been given the name "Sodomy Creek". o_O

On a lighter note, I have often used his famous line as a joke to friends and family after I've encountered various rednecks and hillbillies in rural communities of California. As in, "Hey, I went for a walk down the road and met this backwoods fella. He said I had a real purty mouth." They all know exactly the type of guy I'm referring to.

Fun fact that also ages me pretty specifically: looking back on my childhood, Hurricane Andrew is the first "ongoing news event" that I really remember everyone obsessing over, at least that I paid attention to and understood, Clinton's election was the second, and the OJ Simpson trial was the third. My parents were glued to the screen for the whole affair, and my older sister told anyone who would listen about the time she had caught a glimpse of OJ at an airport.

O.J.Simpson died.

A lot of people are crassly happy to hear this news, but no one more pleased than the real killer.
People. What are you going to do? I reserve happiness of someone else's death for the most vile. One that brings harm to humanity.
The O.J. Simpson trial was a uniquely American farce. I remember growing tired of hearing of it in the news. Leaving on a WestPac cruise in April of '95 and thinking, at least I'll not have to hear about OJ and that trial should be over before I get back.
Well it wasn't. Not quite.
I do remember where I was when they read the verdict. I had just come out of the DMV. Finally. Two traumatizing experiences behind me.

I thought this thread was going to be about a punk band. ;)

Dickie Betts of the Allman Brothers, composer of

And while he did not compose the next one, it is one of my alltime favorite guitar pieces

Back
Top Bottom