• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Pandemic And Religious Beliefs

Some are seeing it as a sign of the end times, the beginning of the tribulation with the Rapture imminent.

True, but as a person that was raised to believe these nutty things, these people see everything unusual that happens as a sign of the end time. Climate change? A sign of he end time. Wars, a sign of the end times. Terrorism? A sign of the ned times. And now a pandemic is a sign of the end times.

I here by name covid-19, the "Church Virus".
The "China virus" is a more accurate name.
Meh. Calling it The China Virus has idiots threatening anyone of any Eastern heritage.

I would say, call it The Church Virus because people are using their religion to threaten themselves with the virus

Some are seeing it as a sign of the end times, the beginning of the tribulation with the Rapture imminent.

True, but as a person that was raised to believe these nutty things, these people see everything unusual that happens as a sign of the end time. Climate change? A sign of he end time. Wars, a sign of the end times. Terrorism? A sign of the ned times. And now a pandemic is a sign of the end times.

As the saying goes: Just because your paranoid it doesn't mean they're not out to get you. If they think it's all due to God I wish they'd take the question seriously enough to look at themselves and ask whether maybe these problems are due to electing a President who supports nationalism and is anti-science and separates immigrant babies from their mothers and puts them in cages and is a blatant egotistical narcissist and removes funding for the CDC and pandemic preparedness and turns back attempts to stop global warming … hmmmm? Maybe your God is tired of giving you more subtle hints and has decided to hit the world's governments in the pocketbook!

I call dibs on their worldly goods.

Just wait till driverless cars are crashing, pilotless planes falling from the sky as the faithful are taken up to Heaven....then you'll be sorry.

The Jesus is supposed to arrive from the clouds with angels and trumpets. I'm thinking a lot like Deep Impact. But then the survivors will just dream up another religious nuttery story.

BTW, where is the Kirk Cameron video on God's coronavirus miracle? (Where I live it peaked around Easter weekend, a clear sign to the believer.) I mean, if those nasty protein spikes on each and every corona pathogen aren't irreducibly complex, what is? Intelligent design, people. God's version of the of the old-style naval mine. Kirk, get over the banana. I think every freethinker has told you by now that man's selective breeding gave us the banana. Bananas are made by fools like me, but only God can make a global viral pandemic and kill a half million people and counting.

I think its understood that selective breeding has been going on from way back in ancient times. Man was given the ability by God to go out in the world to cultivate land and breed live stock is my biased opinion.

I think its understood that selective breeding has been going on from way back in ancient times. Man was given the ability by God to go out in the world to cultivate land and breed live stock is my biased opinion.
You know there are species of ants that keep livestock, right?

So, within the framework of your beliefs, are they favored by God, or did His hand shake when He was pouring out this divine ability?

Lo..lo..look here mate!!

If All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures Geat and small,
whatever their abilities are,
the Lord GOD made them aaaaaaaall!!!

:glare:

It sounds like you are saying, yes, you believe your god made this virus, just the way it is, to kill and harm people just the way it has, including relatives not being able to say goodbye to their loved ones as they die. It sounds like you believe that you have a god who did this on purpose, just this way. Shall I assume you are not pro-life?

It is a little unfair... not giving "credit" to satan. Always God did this, God did that, always taking the spotlight for every single thing, no wonder God is hated by the dark side.

Can't people sing for a change 'All things dark and dangerous .. the dark lord made them all?' Which does sound a lot more accurate BTW to the notion you have in your quote.

It is a little unfair...to be fair... not giving "credit" to satan. Always God did this, God did that, always taking the spotlight for every single thing.

Can't people for a change, sing, 'All things dark and dangerous ..... the dark lord made them all?' Which sounds a lot more accurate BTW to the notion in your quote.
But if your God is more powerful than Satan, then anything Satan does will fail unless God chooses not to do any fucking thing to stop it.

In the end there is suffering. Who started it matters not. God, Satan, Man, random chance, physics, evolution, bats...
You worship an INFINITELY benevolent being who has some reason that's more important than INFINITE mercy to let the suffering occur.
Or, a being of UNLIMITED POWER who has some limitation preventing Him from alleviating the suffering.

Logically and grammatically this is unsound.

It is a little unfair...to be fair... not giving "credit" to satan. Always God did this, God did that, always taking the spotlight for every single thing.

Can't people for a change, sing, 'All things dark and dangerous ..... the dark lord made them all?' Which sounds a lot more accurate BTW to the notion in your quote.
But if your God is more powerful than Satan, then anything Satan does will fail unless God chooses not to do any fucking thing to stop it.

In the end there is suffering. Who started it matters not. God, Satan, Man, random chance, physics, evolution, bats...
You worship an INFINITELY benevolent being who has some reason that's more important than INFINITE mercy to let the suffering occur.
Or, a being of UNLIMITED POWER who has some limitation preventing Him from alleviating the suffering.

Logically and grammatically this is unsound.

It matters who ends it. It all ends....in the end.

Yes, it does matter.
And if it doesn't end, but goes on and on and on for millenia, with a solemn pinkie promise that it'll SOME DAY be made right...we still have the fucking suffering, which is still incompatible with the skybeast described by his worshipers.

And you whine that it's not 'fair' to point this out...

Yes, it does matter.
And if it doesn't end, but goes on and on and on for millenia, with a solemn pinkie promise that it'll SOME DAY be made right...we still have the fucking suffering, which is still incompatible with the skybeast described by his worshipers.

And you whine that it's not 'fair' to point this out...

From the looks of things, that end day may not take millenia, to theists this seems to corroborate with the theology:

Mat 24 : 14 for example:

And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. 12And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. 13But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

I suppose God is making use of the lockdown of churches reaching further online ... (speeding up the process) to those nations not reached yet who are willing to hear.

My guess: the great wrap-up is still waiting on one determined kayak missionary, working his way to the last of the Aleutians. He's got the Covid 19, so he's hurrying (getting the trots in a kayak: MURDER.) Once he's covered Kiska, Agattu, and Attu, he'll have blessed the faithful, converted the receptive, and infected all the atheists. Then come the end times. But he's gotta reach that last family of walrus hunters on the western tip of Attu. And if there's a Sam Harris book in the igloo, watch out.

It is a little unfair... not giving "credit" to satan. Always God did this, God did that, always taking the spotlight for every single thing, no wonder God is hated by the dark side.

Can't people sing for a change 'All things dark and dangerous .. the dark lord made them all?' Which does sound a lot more accurate BTW to the notion you have in your quote.

Satan has the power to create life?

I ask this quite sincerely. Are you saying that Satan can create people, animals, viruses? I was under the impression that Christians felt only their god had the power to create life.

Are you saying that it's okay if I beat my wife for years and years, as long as when it stops it's because I stopped it?

That seems rather.... monstrous. Are you sure that's your definition of benevolence?

Back
Top Bottom