• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Pangean Contemporary Idiom

DLH

Basic Beliefs
Bible Believer
It's funny to me, an irreligious individual of the rarest form of true free thought, that I see so many parallels with science and religion. Speculative excursion. What if there were no theory of evolution?

There would be no reason to attempt to make the universe appear evolved in order to create interesting stories.

It's funny to me, an irreligious individual of the rarest form of true free thought,

cfe1e187cd5703d9d1513ae24937b4839e3a7f1c97972667f576b79a1b2874a6.jpg

Yeah, you're neither irreligious nor an individual of the "rarerst form of true free thought". That was a pretty decent attempt at a humble brag though, assuming you were being ironic.

What if there were no theory of evolution?

A lot more people would die from conditions and illnesses we today know how to treat thanks to our understanding of evolution.

A lot more people would die from conditions and illnesses we today know how to treat thanks to our understanding of evolution.
Well, if does explain the prevalence of God (as a gardener) belief. Obviously selecting a believer, over a non-believer, to pass on their genes is favored. Look at the world.

How you doin'?

It's funny to me, an irreligious individual of the rarest form of true free thought, that I see so many parallels with science and religion. Speculative excursion. What if there were no theory of evolution?

Then you seem to not understand science. A religious person accepts the speculative excursions of others as absolute (not to be questioned) truth. Science makes speculative excursions (called hypotheses) and then tests them for accuracy, rejecting them if they fail. If the hypotheses pass the first test then they are subjected to different tests in attempts to falsify them. The testing doesn't end but the more tests that are passed, the more credence is put to the hypotheses as possibly accurate.

Considering the variety of religious doctrines, it would be odd if there weren't interesting parallels here and there.

The parallels exist only in your imagination, and are likely based on your lack of knowledge of what the scientific process actually is. That biological evolution happens has not been in dispute for a long time, but the detailed description of how biological evolution happens is still a subject of study. This is similar to saying that the existence of gravity has not been disputed for a long time, but the detailed description of how gravity works is still a subject of study. Many dishonest creationists and anti-science advocates pretend not to understand this important distinction.

Well, if the theory of evolution didn't exist, the process being explained doesn't go away - we could still observe evolution happen throughout Earth's history. Besides, the ToE is as far from "speculative excursion" as one can get; with complex models of explanation and a means of falsifying it, it's quite robust as a scientific theory, and no armchair conjectural exercises are needed. And out of curiosity, what about Pangaea? Doesn't seem to relate to the subject at hand, and that's not going into the "contemporary idiom" part (which doesn't make much sense to me).

It's funny to me, an irreligious individual of the rarest form of true free thought, that I see so many parallels with science and religion. Speculative excursion.
Interesting, that is. For a major difference between religion and science, Religion once burned people at the stake for questioning their “truths”. Now they only condemn them to Hell. Meanwhile science hails those who question current scientific theories and can show that they are in error. Even greater rewards are afforded those who show errors in the current model and develop models that better explain and predict observations than the current models.

You could begin your rise to fame in the scientific community by finding rabbit, elephant, kangaroo, human etc. fossils in the Cambrian layer thus demonstrating that the current ToE has serious problems.
Good question. If there weren’t then people would certainly be working to come up with a model that could explain what we do see and now call evolution. If you were to be the one to come up with a theory that actually explained observations and was as able to predict like the current TOE does then you would be in line for a Nobel Prize.

Last edited:
If you were to be the one to come up with a theory that actually explained observations and was as able to predict like the current TOE does then you would be in line for a Nobel Prize.

Many intelligent beings working together trying out many different forms and making a few serendipitous mistakes to find out the forms that work best together would look exactly the same. However, in this case, forms that worked better with other forms would be selected for purposefully, rather than the selection occurring according to blind natural law.

Best forms would then perhaps behave regularly, and you'd get certain dumb forms that assumed this means everything came from these regular behaviors, until an asshole like me pointed out that they were idiots and they evolved.

If you were to be the one to come up with a theory that actually explained observations and was as able to predict like the current TOE does then you would be in line for a Nobel Prize.

Many intelligent beings working together trying out many different forms and making a few serendipitous mistakes to find out the forms that work best together would look exactly the same. However, in this case, forms that worked better with other forms would be selected for purposefully, rather than the selection occurring according to blind natural law.

Best forms would then perhaps behave regularly, and you'd get certain dumb forms that assumed this means everything came from these regular behaviors, until an asshole like me pointed out that they were idiots and they evolved.

Unintelligible gibberish .... This post has many words that have distinct meanings by themselves, but when strung together in this particular sequence, they fail to communicate any ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unintelligible gibberish .... This post has many words that have distinct meanings by themselves, but when strung together in this particular sequence, they fail to communicate any ideas.

It's an alternative explanation for natural selection, which would provide an alternate to the current natural selection only paradigm of the ToE.

I thought everyone here was familiar enough with evolution that they would pick up on that immediately...

Unintelligible gibberish.... This post has many words that have distinct meanings by themselves, but when strung together in this particular sequence, they fail to communicate any ideas.

It's an alternative explanation for natural selection, which would provide an alternate to the current natural selection only paradigm of the ToE.

I thought everyone here was familiar enough with evolution that they would pick up on that immediately...
It is certainly an alternative but, to be taken seriously, it would be necessary to show that critters like sponges, sea anemones, etc. were capable of working together to intentionally alter their forms. Even if it could be shown that such critters can alter their form, demonstrating intent would be a toughy.

This post has many words that have distinct meanings by themselves, but when strung together in this particular sequence, they fail to communicate any ideas.
It is certainly an alternative but, to be taken seriously, it would be necessary to show that critters like sponges, sea anemones, etc. were capable of working together to intentionally alter their forms.
The intelligences could be at the quantum scale (or many scales of reality), and they might stick to their plan to create something out of specific behaviors.

If they wanted to train beings to work within a certain rule set, they couldn't go around changing their behaviors willy nilly. Every time they were observed, they'd have to act pretty much regularly so as not to create wild ideas (enough wild ideas are created by the regular behaviors).

If we started observing sponges change into seagulls, etc... shit would hit the fan and people would expect roses.

The intelligences could be at the quantum scale (or many scales of reality), and they might stick to their plan to create something out of specific behaviors.

If they wanted to train beings to work within a certain rule set, they couldn't go around changing their behaviors willy nilly. Every time they were observed, they'd have to act pretty much regularly so as not to create wild ideas (enough wild ideas are created by the regular behaviors).

If we started observing sponges change into seagulls, etc... shit would hit the fan and people would expect roses.
:D Gotcha, super-quantum-intelligent-but-sneaky polyphysiomorphism. You should write a paper on that. There may be a Nobel waiting for you. ;)

:D Gotcha, super-quantum-intelligent-but-sneaky polyphysiomorphism. You should write a paper on that. There may be a Nobel waiting for you. ;)

I love that term. Isn't that the snake of the bible? Satan of revelation? Loki of the Avengers. Loki ruleS!@

Quantum, it's the *NEW and IMPROVED* god of the gaps. Get yours, ON SALE NOW!
No need to buy when you're full of it.

GotG is more like... spacetime. A single all prevading entity that interacts with all quantum level intelligences.

Pre:before vadere: to go

Back
Top Bottom