• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The religion of "no beginning".

You have the argument somewhat but you did not bother to address the key issues in any way.

If the past was infinite that means an infinity was traversed since at any given moment all the time in the past has passed, it has all been traversed.

The question is simple.

Can you traverse an infinite line? Not imagine one. Travel the complete length of one.

That is the question of this thread.

If you think it is possible show how it is possible.

Would you also argue that the universe is not spatially infinite since one cannot transverse the an infinite spatial line either?

Yes.

There is no observation that can be made that would lead to the conclusion that the size of the universe is infinite.

No matter what you observed the "edge" could be just out of view.

And infinite observation is a physical impossibility.

Would you also argue that the universe is not spatially infinite since one cannot transverse the an infinite spatial line either?

Yes.

There is no observation that can be made that would lead to the conclusion that the size of the universe is infinite.

That is not a good reason (on its own) to say that the universe is not infinite though. If the two hypotheses (A: the universe is infinite; B: the universe has some finite boundary condition) are experimentally indistinguishable, scientifically speaking one should not claim one over the other.

Yes.

That is not a good reason (on its own) to say that the universe is not infinite though. If the two hypotheses (A: the universe is infinite; B: the universe has some finite boundary condition) are experimentally indistinguishable, scientifically speaking one should not claim one over the other.

Infinity is an imaginary concept invented by humans.

It was not discovered and cannot be observed in any way.

You would need to give me very substantial reasons why you think it is rational to apply it to real things.

You would need to give me very substantial reasons why you think it is rational to apply it to real things.

"Beginnings" are an imaginary concept invented by humans.

They were not discovered and cannot be observed in any way.

You would need to give me very substantial reasons why you think it is rational to apply them to real things.

"Beginnings" are an imaginary concept invented by humans.

They were not discovered and cannot be observed in any way.

You would need to give me very substantial reasons why you think it is rational to apply them to real things.

We observe beginnings of all kinds.

All matter, every atom, had a beginning.

Every journey has a beginning.

Every human has a beginning.

What we don't ever observe is function and consistent behavior without a beginning to it.

We cannot conceive of a progression without a beginning to it. The concept makes no sense. For some thing to progress it must begin it's progression.

When have you observed a progression with evidence there was no beginning to it?

I read what you wrote but I did not find within it a way to traverse completely an infinite line, a model for an infinite progression. Like the alleged infinite progression of time.

I was pretty sure you wouldn't understand.

Plus ça change...
EB

I read what you wrote but I did not find within it a way to traverse completely an infinite line, a model for an infinite progression. Like the alleged infinite progression of time.

Plus ça change...
EB

If I believe I know something I can produce a concise defense of it at will.

Those that merely disagree but have no evidence to provide of a disagreement are not productive.

If I did not understand how you proved an infinite line could be traversed telling me I did not understand is not helpful at all.

We observe beginnings of all kinds.

We observe a lot of events, and we call them "beginnings" at our capricious whim.

Every journey has a beginning.

Is life a journey? Does life "begin" at birth? At conception? 4 billion years ago as prokaryotic organisms? All of the above?
What we don't ever observe is function and consistent behavior without a beginning to it.

Name a function or consistent behavior and identify its "beginning". I bet I can identify a different "beginning" to that function or consistent behavior, simply by applying my own whimsical definition of "beginning".
That's because "beginnings" are an imaginary concept invented by humans.

Plus ça change...
EB

Those that merely disagree but have no evidence to provide of a disagreement are not productive.

If I did not understand how you proved an infinite line could be traversed telling me I did not understand is not helpful at all.

"Is so!" Is a concise defence of any claim.

It's not a compelling one though.

Your ability to produce a concise defence of something you believe is not in any way evidence that your beliefs are true or justified.

That you think it is, is rather sad.

Plus ça change...
EB

I provided an explanation. It's a fact you didn't understand it and I only have this one explanation. What can I do?

I'm not your coach or your tutor. Just try harder.
EB

I provided an explanation. It's a fact you didn't understand it and I only have this one explanation. What can I do?

EB

I claim you made no such argument and do not see one.

EB

Yes? So, here it is again, in extenso, just for your consideration.

As I see it, there is indeed a "tension" between our intuition about the nature of reality and the idea of a past without a beginning. It may be worth looking into the question.

Contrary to what UM claims, however, I don't see how the idea of a past with no beginning would be illogical.

His argument, I guess, is to ask us to try and imagine something "traversing" the entire infinity of the past to get to the present moment, and admit that we can't do that. Obviously, it's true that we can't do that. Yet, this in itself is no proof that the idea of time with no beginning is illogical. It's just evidence of the limited capacity of our brains, and indeed, we can assume, of any real thinking system.

Still, it's interesting to look more closely at our intuition about causality.

My assumption here about our intuition concerning causality is that if there is something now, it's because there was something else immediately before that physically caused it to come about. Potentially, if true, this would in fact require some kind of temporal infinity. I assume here there's essentially only two kinds of infinity. Either there was an infinite past (discrete time analogous to N), or, if the past was finite and had therefore a beginning, time must be infinitely divisible so as to allow an infinity of causal reactions to take place within a finite period of time (continuous time analogous to R+).

If we assume time had no beginning, we're left with only the first option (analogy to N).

In this case, could anything have traversed the infinity of the past so as to exist now? Obviously, we're no talking about people. Not even about any kind of administrative body or institution powered by a human workforce, generation after generation. However, the idea of causality itself does amount to having something like a unified body, not so different from that of an organism, going through the length of time, and therefore a "body" which at any point in time would have already been in existence for an infinite amount of time. A succession of Big Bangs, and therefore a succession of universes, one following another, endlessly and without a beginning to the succession, and each Big Bang caused by the previous universe (if we want to assume an unbroken causal chain), would amount to such a unified body persisting through an infinite time, a time without an end but also without a beginning. In that perspective, can we really conceive of such a unified body subject to an evolutionary process, like every macroscopic thing we know of in our universe? Can we conceive of just one body unified by causality, but continuously evolving so as to have a structure and organisation unique to each moment in time? Again, there's no logical contradiction in that idea but I think we can't conceive of possibility, again because our brain couldn't possible harbour an infinity of such unique organisations and structures and we only ever think of finite sets. So instead, we can fall back on the idea of Big Bang and conceive of a fundamentally cyclical reality, with a succession of universes which may or may not be identical to each other, but with overall only a finite number of types of universe. That, we can conceived of.

So, what would be the problem with a reality made of a succession of essentially identical universes, the disappearance of one causing the appearance of a new, but essentially identical universe? Would that idea contain some kind of logical contradiction? Personally, I don't see why that would be the case. In fact, I'm very confident that very nearly all scientists would agree with me on this. Obviously, this would be a very simple form of infinity, all universes being essentially identical to each other, or each belonging to an infinite set of strictly identical universes, with overall a finite number of types of universes. Either way, we would end up with the history of successive universes repeating itself at some point in time, and again, and again, for ever.

You're all welcome to comment on this particular point. :)

Another possible conception of reality is the idea of a succession of universes without a relation of causality between different universes. Each universe would just pop up on its own, uncaused, and unrelated in any way to any other universe. I think it's one possibility, yet I would dismiss this case as irrelevant to the question of the infinity of the past. If universes can exist wholly independently of each other, then the notion of time just disappears, or, more accurately, time becomes something restricted to each universe, starting with the Big Bang and stopping whenever the universe disappears. There would be no time encompassing all universes, and therefore no need for an infinite time. Obviously, again, I think that's a conception we would have a hard time accepting. Personally, I seem unable to imagine a such a possibility. Still, I don't see where there would be any logical contradiction in this case.

I guess some may also want to comment on this. :)
EB

I provided the explanation but understanding is something you have to do by yourself.

Just try harder.
EB

We observe a lot of events, and we call them "beginnings" at our capricious whim.

So you had no beginning?

You always existed?

Is life a journey?

Not in the sense I was using "journey".

Does life "begin" at birth? At conception?

The individual life that is you began when a specific sperm met a specific egg.

You did not exist before that.

4 billion years ago as prokaryotic organisms?

You are distinct from every other form of life that exists.

An organism like a human has a beginning. It begins when an egg is fertilized by a sperm. Without this fertilization we do not have a human.

Name a function or consistent behavior and identify its "beginning".

An atom has consistent behavior. It's behavior can be somewhat understood because of this consistency.

Identifying a beginning and knowing one took place are different things.

You know a beginning took place if you have no consistently functioning entity at some time but you have one at a later time.

As I see it, there is indeed a "tension" between our intuition about the nature of reality and the idea of a past without a beginning. It may be worth looking into the question.

Contrary to what UM claims, however, I don't see how the idea of a past with no beginning would be illogical.

His argument, I guess, is to ask us to try and imagine something "traversing" the entire infinity of the past to get to the present moment, and admit that we can't do that. Obviously, it's true that we can't do that. Yet, this in itself is no proof that the idea of time with no beginning is illogical. It's just evidence of the limited capacity of our brains, and indeed, we can assume, of any real thinking system.

Still, it's interesting to look more closely at our intuition about causality.

My assumption here about our intuition concerning causality is that if there is something now, it's because there was something else immediately before that physically caused it to come about. Potentially, if true, this would in fact require some kind of temporal infinity. I assume here there's essentially only two kinds of infinity. Either there was an infinite past (discrete time analogous to N), or, if the past was finite and had therefore a beginning, time must be infinitely divisible so as to allow an infinity of causal reactions to take place within a finite period of time (continuous time analogous to R+).

If we assume time had no beginning, we're left with only the first option (analogy to N).

In this case, could anything have traversed the infinity of the past so as to exist now? Obviously, we're no talking about people. Not even about any kind of administrative body or institution powered by a human workforce, generation after generation. However, the idea of causality itself does amount to having something like a unified body, not so different from that of an organism, going through the length of time, and therefore a "body" which at any point in time would have already been in existence for an infinite amount of time. A succession of Big Bangs, and therefore a succession of universes, one following another, endlessly and without a beginning to the succession, and each Big Bang caused by the previous universe (if we want to assume an unbroken causal chain), would amount to such a unified body persisting through an infinite time, a time without an end but also without a beginning. In that perspective, can we really conceive of such a unified body subject to an evolutionary process, like every macroscopic thing we know of in our universe? Can we conceive of just one body unified by causality, but continuously evolving so as to have a structure and organisation unique to each moment in time? Again, there's no logical contradiction in that idea but I think we can't conceive of possibility, again because our brain couldn't possible harbour an infinity of such unique organisations and structures and we only ever think of finite sets. So instead, we can fall back on the idea of Big Bang and conceive of a fundamentally cyclical reality, with a succession of universes which may or may not be identical to each other, but with overall only a finite number of types of universe. That, we can conceived of.

So, what would be the problem with a reality made of a succession of essentially identical universes, the disappearance of one causing the appearance of a new, but essentially identical universe? Would that idea contain some kind of logical contradiction? Personally, I don't see why that would be the case. In fact, I'm very confident that very nearly all scientists would agree with me on this. Obviously, this would be a very simple form of infinity, all universes being essentially identical to each other, or each belonging to an infinite set of strictly identical universes, with overall a finite number of types of universes. Either way, we would end up with the history of successive universes repeating itself at some point in time, and again, and again, for ever.

You're all welcome to comment on this particular point. :)

Another possible conception of reality is the idea of a succession of universes without a relation of causality between different universes. Each universe would just pop up on its own, uncaused, and unrelated in any way to any other universe. I think it's one possibility, yet I would dismiss this case as irrelevant to the question of the infinity of the past. If universes can exist wholly independently of each other, then the notion of time just disappears, or, more accurately, time becomes something restricted to each universe, starting with the Big Bang and stopping whenever the universe disappears. There would be no time encompassing all universes, and therefore no need for an infinite time. Obviously, again, I think that's a conception we would have a hard time accepting. Personally, I seem unable to imagine a such a possibility. Still, I don't see where there would be any logical contradiction in this case.

I guess some may also want to comment on this. :)
EB

I provided the explanation but understanding is something you have to do by yourself.

Just try harder.
EB

Where specifically is your proof that an infinite line can be traversed?

All you do is assume your conclusion.

I assume here there's essentially only two kinds of infinity. Either there was an infinite past...

The question is: Is it rational to say there was an infinite past.

Assuming it is possible is complete emptiness.

So, what would be the problem with a reality made of a succession of essentially identical universes, the disappearance of one causing the appearance of a new, but essentially identical universe? Would that idea contain some kind of logical contradiction?

The problem would be it would mean an infinite line was completely traversed somehow.

A topic you never touch in that rambling.

So you had no beginning?

You always existed?

Not in the sense I was using "journey".

Does life "begin" at birth? At conception?

The individual life that is you began when a specific sperm met a specific egg.

You did not exist before that.

4 billion years ago as prokaryotic organisms?

You are distinct from every other form of life that exists.

An organism like a human has a beginning. It begins when an egg is fertilized by a sperm. Without this fertilization we do not have a human.

Name a function or consistent behavior and identify its "beginning".

An atom has consistent behavior. It's behavior can be somewhat understood because of this consistency.

Identifying a beginning and knowing one took place are different things.

You know a beginning took place if you have no consistently functioning entity at some time but you have one at a later time.

Choosing conception as the beginning of a human life is completely arbitrary; The gametes are themselves alive and human, the zygote has no more claim to humanity than the unfertilized ovum, and conception is by no means certain to lead to the development of a personality, a brain. or a child.

You could, with equal justification, select as your "beginning": birth; penetration; ejaculation; implantation; the development of the first neuron; the development of the frontal cortex; sexual arousal of the parents; the formation of the earliest memory; or a whole host of other events. Every one of the possible 'beginnings' is preceded by earlier, equally necessary events.

The entire concept of 'the beginning of human life' is totally arbitrary and invented by humans in an attempt to impose on reality an order that simply does not exist.

Nothing we can observe has a 'beginning' that is not preceded by earlier events (this is simply a re-statement of the First Law of Thermodynamics). It may be possible to argue that the universe is an exception, and that it, uniquely of all things, has a beginning; But to attempt to argue that anything else has a beginning is to impose your arbitrary and meaningless preferences on reality.

A journey doesn't begin with a single step. There was always something before any step you consider. Does my journey to the pub begin when I step out of my house? Why not when I walked to the front door? Or when i got out of bed in the morning? Or when i went to bed the night before?

There is always something before any arbitrary 'beginning'. It's only a useful category in a very limited set of contexts - and this discussion is FAR from being such a context.

Your prejudices are not laws of nature.

..Choosing conception as the beginning of a human life is completely arbitrary; The gametes are themselves alive and human...

They are human cells, not a human. Will not become a human.

The human begins only after the cells meet. Not before.

..Choosing conception as the beginning of a human life is completely arbitrary; The gametes are themselves alive and human...

They are human cells, not a human. Will not become a human.
The same is true of the zygote immediately after fertilization. Your position here is purely arbitrary.
The human begins only after the cells meet. Not before.
Not after, either. A single cell is not a human. A blastula is not a human. A fetus is not a human. Your objection applies as much to your position as to mine; It is irrational and stupid.

untermensche said:
<snip>
Just try harder.
EB
Where specifically is your proof that an infinite line can be traversed?

Yet more goal-shifting. That's an addiction. You moved from denying there was an explanation to denying there's a proof.

Are you going next to ask for a fossil record or something?

I provided an explanation, arguments. That's all you'll ever get on this subject and that's all you should asked for, if you were reasonable, that is.

All you do is assume your conclusion.

This shows you really understand zilch.

I assume here there's essentially only two kinds of infinity. Either there was an infinite past...
The question is: Is it rational to say there was an infinite past.
Assuming it is possible is complete emptiness.

This shows you don't even understand what rationality is.

So, what would be the problem with a reality made of a succession of essentially identical universes, the disappearance of one causing the appearance of a new, but essentially identical universe? Would that idea contain some kind of logical contradiction?
The problem would be it would mean an infinite line was completely traversed somehow.

This shows you don't even understand the argument.

A topic you never touch in that rambling.

If you could express yourself as clearly is I do you could start to talk.

You're a waste of time.
EB

Does my journey to the pub begin when I step out of my house? Why not when I walked to the front door? Or when i got out of bed in the morning? Or when i went to bed the night before?

If your journey to the pub starts when you go to bed, then you're in serious trouble.

You should seek counsel.
EB

Back
Top Bottom