• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The shipwreck you most want to be found

I never had a baking soda submarine. I was into motorizing plastic model kits. I can't tell you how many destroyers and battleships we set loose on the local pond, threw rocks at until it sank, swam down to get and fix up and then smash it again. Ultimately there is likely still a small graveyard of smashed plastic model ships at the bottom of the pond across from my parents house.

Filled with jealousy

Don't you worry. Nothing RC or anything. Just a D cell, an electric motor and a propeller and a twisted wire to make the contact. It would sort of go in a slow turn until it hit land or got sunk by 4 kids throwing rocks at it. Great fun though.

Don't you worry. Nothing RC or anything. Just a D cell, an electric motor and a propeller and a twisted wire to make the contact. It would sort of go in a slow turn until it hit land or got sunk by 4 kids throwing rocks at it. Great fun though.

Oh it sounds like it, even for a 50 something geezer.

Ha. I've played that exact video a lot for my boys, now age 11 and 12. I've got them into making all the plastic model ships I made as a kid.

I have this in the closet that we will build this spring. Nicely motorized.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDKYA

I am fascinated with the perspective that small cameras given - the ability to put one in the scale world, and have been for years.
It started from the ability to "ride along" with model trains, and has branched out from there.

I am actually trying to do something related for work with RC copters, cameras and Structure From Motion (SFM) scanning of buildings
and terrain.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha. I've played that exact video a lot for my boys, now age 11 and 12. I've got them into making all the plastic model ships I made as a kid.

I have this in the closet that we will build this spring. Nicely motorized.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDKYA

I am fascinated with the perspective that small cameras given - the ability to put one in the scale world, and have been for years.
It started from the ability to "ride along" with model trains, and has branched out from there.

I am actually trying to do something related for work with RC copters, cameras and Structure From Motion (SFM) scanning of buildings
and terrain.

The American Navy's Worst Sinking With Loss Of Life On A Combat Mission Has To Be The Infamous USS Indianapolis

This ship comes to mind with her wreck still not found; the USS Indianapolis. Those poor guys drifting in the water for days fighting off unrelenting shark attacks must have been a living hell. They did find pieces of the wreckage but no actual site. Unless someone knows something I believe it still lies in somewhere between Leyte and Guam which means a big fregin area. Out of 880 seamen who survived the sinking only 321 were rescued along with the poor captain.

On a more brighter and scholarly note I would love to see some wrecks from the battle of Lepanto in 1571. Those huge galleasses and war galleys must have been a dramatic site as they were state of the art naval weaponry then. I know when they found the Mary Rose the treasure trove of logistics and supplies were a treasure chest of historical artifacts that kept many people busy for years. The weapons and tackle found used then alone set a lot of historical records straight.

Cool thread and keep up the good work. Now if people would just go up that mountain in Turkey and dig out Noah's Ark then it would shut up all us stupid Skeptics and Atheists.

Peace

Pegasus

I'd also like to see them find the wreck of the USS Lexington, CV-2 aircraft carrier sunk in the battle of the Coral Sea in WWII. My great grandfather was deeply involved in its construction.

I've always considered it an interesting and yet beautiful ship.

020201.jpg

It and it's sister ship Saratoga CV-3, were the second and third US carriers after the semi-experimental Langley.

Edit: I see an image link in my original post but it's not showing here. This is a URL of the photo http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/020201.jpg

I'd also like to see them find the wreck of the USS Lexington, CV-2 aircraft carrier sunk in the battle of the Coral Sea in WWII. My great grandfather was deeply involved in its construction.

I've always considered it an interesting and yet beautiful ship.

020201.jpg

It and it's sister ship Saratoga CV-3, were the second and third US carriers after the semi-experimental Langley.

Edit: I see an image link in my original post but it's not showing here. This is a URL of the photo http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/020201.jpg

I sometimes confuse Lexington with Yorktown, which was found.

Not a shipwreck again, but it would be interesting to find the infamous flight 19, of Bermuda Triangle fame.

Tangent. I was so pleased many years ago when they found Gus Grissom's capsule.

The Majestic Lady Lexington Would Be An Excellent Choice For A Most Wanted Shipwreck Found

Dude in naval history the Lexington and her sister the Saratoga were magnificent beautiful ships. Man talk about state of the art design and function back then. And just like the Kaga and Akagi both were laid down as big bad ass battle cruisers/battleships. The" Lady Lex "and the "Sara" were so well liked both by her crews and the naval brass as they both proved their need and worth for aircraft carriers as the new theory of capital ships. As big and as fast as these ships were they still were designed with the archaic notion of having low angle single purpose eight inch guns mounted in turrets. Unlike the Japanese design that kept their eight inch guns mounted in the hull below the flight deck! It is absolutely amazing and fascinating that then it was still considered "practical" for the aircraft carriers to "slug " it out with surface ships with mounted armored turreted guns! In the late 20's the aircraft carrier was still considered a support weapon to the big gun battleship.

For all of us military history buffs it is important to understand the significance of the Battle of Coral Sea. We might have lost the Lexington and only sunk one IJN carrier which would tactically lend us to losing the battle but strategically the USN won by forcing the Port Moresby invasion force back. But what is more important and crucial is that the Zuikaku and Shikaku were not able to fight in the battle of Midway! IMO these two carriers with their experienced air groups would have defeated the USN forces and probably completed an invasion of Midway. The 90 IJN planes destroyed along with most of their irreplaceable aircrews at Coral Sea were a deciding factor in the defeat of Japan later on in the war.

And the Lexington was a big part in the Battle of Coral Sea and WW 2. The discovery of her wreck would be as monumental for us history buffs as the discovery of the Bismarck and or the Titanic! Good choice again and thanks.

USS_Lexington_under_attack_at_Coral_Sea.jpg

Shokaku_Coral_Sea_battle_damage_1.jpg

Peace

Pegasus

Dude in naval history the Lexington and her sister the Saratoga were magnificent beautiful ships.

Have you ever read Queen of the Flat Tops by Stanley Johnston? I have a 2nd printing edition, Oct. 1942 passed down through the family as testament to my great-grandfather's deep involvement in her construction as a Sr. navel officer in the shipyard.

As big and as fast as these ships were they still were designed with the archaic notion of having low angle single purpose eight inch guns mounted in turrets. Unlike the Japanese design that kept their eight inch guns mounted in the hull below the flight deck! It is absolutely amazing and fascinating that then it was still considered "practical" for the aircraft carriers to "slug " it out with surface ships with mounted armored turreted guns! In the late 20's the aircraft carrier was still considered a support weapon to the big gun
Pegasus

I recall they finally removed those big guns only a few months before Coral Sea. Somewhere I read that they actually damaged the flight deck when fired across them.Obviously not practical.

But your post got me looking up the specs. They, Lex and Sara, were significantly more massive and yet still faster than the Yorktown class to follow, while still having as great a range. Although I think that they carried fewer airplanes...

You have to love that early period in carrier development, when they weren't quite sure what they had and how to use it.

Conversions after construction started are interesting too, in part why I find the Shinano interesting. That and it is so freaking big.

You have to love that early period in carrier development, when they weren't quite sure what they had and how to use it.
Same thing with early submarines. They were imagined as being deployed as part of the task force, essentially really small Frigates that were really, REALLY good at hiding.
When they slipped the leash and just said, 'come back when you're out of torpedoes,' the world changed.

Same thing with early submarines. They were imagined as being deployed as part of the task force, essentially really small Frigates that were really, REALLY good at hiding.
When they slipped the leash and just said, 'come back when you're out of torpedoes,' the world changed.

And it helped that the "Prize Rules" got deep sixed

This Thread Is Good Because You Need To Bring A Sense Of Naval/Maritime History To The Table!

Who would have ever envisioned when those guys went down in the CSS Hunley that less in a 100 years the submarine would be the capital ship of the world's navies. And today only a handful of navies can afford and keep these floating ICBM death machines, aka strategic ballistic nuclear subs, plying on the world's oceans.You guys bring up an excellent point, K &C, about how the submarine was deployed and used in battle. Most people do not realize that most WW1 & WW2 subs were actually surface ships and they only submerged when they had to for offense or defense. The Nazis could have easily defeated Great Britain if that idiot Hitler would have supported Canaris and Donitz with more U-boats during those dark days of the war.

So in keeping with the spirit of the all volunteer dudes in their steel coffins the K-129 wreck is a really weird one. And by weird wreck we mean " spooky" wreck. When the K-129 sunk in 3/8/68 the Soviets eventually gave up and declared her MIA. The US Navy was able to triangle sonar signals from its SOSUS system. After locating the K-129 in 3 miles of water she was photographed from a bathyscaphe aboard the USS Halibut. And this is where we get the infamous Project Arizona; the CIA's attempt to retrieve the K-129. As usual they "F" it up and broke the sub into sections. We do not know what sections were recovered and what exactly was recovered. All information is classified and not open to the public. So basically we know where the K-129 is but we are not allowed to know what was retrieved. I guess they actually retrieved some bodies that were still glowing from the radiation and were buried at sea. The US had to cop to this and eventually gave a video of this to the Russians in 1992!

Man talk about some cloak and dagger shit. And of course we told the world that we were mining for manganese ore 3 miles on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean north of Hawaii. It is a pretty cool story and something made for the movies. We know where the wreck is and have salvaged some parts of the sub but officially we do not know anything or acknowledge anything thanks to our CIA and intelligence boys and girls. And the theories on what happened and what really happened are all over the map on this one guys. Maybe they were drunk on vodka and someone forgot to close the hatch when they submerged.

This is a good one for this thread and it is really fascinating. Soviet sub? We do not know anything about some stinking soviet sub with a but load of nuclear missiles and nuclear tip torpedos. Yeh we were just in the neighborhood mining for some manganese 3 miles below on the ocean floor. It is just the most expensive and secret operation during the Cold War. You know nothing to see here,move along people.

Peace

Pegasus

Back
Top Bottom