• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The shipwreck you most want to be found

Who would have ever envisioned when those guys went down in the CSS Hunley that less in a 100 years the submarine would be the capital ship of the world's navies. And today only a handful of navies can afford and keep these floating ICBM death machines, aka strategic ballistic nuclear subs, plying on the world's oceans.You guys bring up an excellent point, K &C, about how the submarine was deployed and used in battle. Most people do not realize that most WW1 & WW2 subs were actually surface ships and they only submerged when they had to for offense or defense. The Nazis could have easily defeated Great Britain if that idiot Hitler would have supported Canaris and Donitz with more U-boats during those dark days of the war.

So in keeping with the spirit of the all volunteer dudes in their steel coffins the K-129 wreck is a really weird one. And by weird wreck we mean " spooky" wreck. When the K-129 sunk in 3/8/68 the Soviets eventually gave up and declared her MIA. The US Navy was able to triangle sonar signals from its SOSUS system. After locating the K-129 in 3 miles of water she was photographed from a bathyscaphe aboard the USS Halibut. And this is where we get the infamous Project Arizona; the CIA's attempt to retrieve the K-129. As usual they "F" it up and broke the sub into sections. We do not know what sections were recovered and what exactly was recovered. All information is classified and not open to the public. So basically we know where the K-129 is but we are not allowed to know what was retrieved. I guess they actually retrieved some bodies that were still glowing from the radiation and were buried at sea. The US had to cop to this and eventually gave a video of this to the Russians in 1992!

Man talk about some cloak and dagger shit. And of course we told the world that we were mining for manganese ore 3 miles on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean north of Hawaii. It is a pretty cool story and something made for the movies. We know where the wreck is and have salvaged some parts of the sub but officially we do not know anything or acknowledge anything thanks to our CIA and intelligence boys and girls. And the theories on what happened and what really happened are all over the map on this one guys. Maybe they were drunk on vodka and someone forgot to close the hatch when they submerged.

This is a good one for this thread and it is really fascinating. Soviet sub? We do not know anything about some stinking soviet sub with a but load of nuclear missiles and nuclear tip torpedos. Yeh we were just in the neighborhood mining for some manganese 3 miles below on the ocean floor. It is just the most expensive and secret operation during the Cold War. You know nothing to see here,move along people.

Peace

Pegasus

I believe it was "Blind Man's Bluff" that alleged that the sinking was the result of a botched launch by a rogue crew against Hawaii.

The WhiteShip

A 12th century vessel that went down outside the harbour of Barfleur in Normandy, with only 2 survivors from the ~300 on board. Several members of the (Norman) English royal family drowned in the wreck, including the heir to the throne, William Aetheling. His death sparked a succession crisis and war between the main contenders for the throne, Matilda (Maud) and Stephen de Blois. Apart from the historical interest, there's bound to be a fortune in jewelry on the drowned nobles, as well as an ample supply of 12th century wine (one of the reasons for the wreck).

Last edited:
I believe it was "Blind Man's Bluff" that alleged that the sinking was the result of a botched launch by a rogue crew against Hawaii.

Not so much botched as they were trying to defeat the warhead safety systems because they didn't have the launch codes. They failed, a warhead self-destructed or else they made a mistake that set off it's charges. The explosion sunk the sub and scattered the fissionables from the warhead.

The WhiteShip

A 12th century vessel that went down outside the harbour of Barfleur in Normandy, with only 2 survivors from the ~300 on board. Several members of the (Norman) English royal family drowned in the wreck, including the heir to the throne, William Aetheling. His death sparked a succession crisis and war between the main contenders for the throne, Matilda (Maud) and Stephen de Blois. Apart from the historical interest, there's bound to be a fortune in jewelry on the drowned nobles, as well as an ample supply of 12th century wine (one of the reasons for the wreck).

Has it been searched for?

- - - Updated - - -

Not so much botched as they were trying to defeat the warhead safety systems because they didn't have the launch codes. They failed, a warhead self-destructed or else they made a mistake that set off it's charges. The explosion sunk the sub and scattered the fissionables from the warhead.

It's been a number of years since I read it.

these floating ICBM death machines, aka strategic ballistic nuclear subs, plying on the world's oceans. s
ICBM's? Please! We carry SLBMs, thank you very much.
They're not continent-to-continent weapons. They're 'hit your continent from...somewhere...and that's all you need to know" weapons.

Why am I getting flashbacks to Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington?
Jesus Christ and his all nurse band, no!
bleh! That movie was a 20 minute Wardroom discussion fleshed out to 116minutes, most of it bad.
Except the scene where the CO threatened the Weps by putting a gun to a petty officer's head. That's where i stood during countdowns. That's the closest i've ever come to being able to show relatives what i did for a living for 20 years.

Now, i teach people about the safe the Navy mentions at the end of the movie, the 'steps taken' to ensure the plot never comes to pass.

Why am I getting flashbacks to Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington?

;)

The K-129 story is *MUCH* worse.

In the movie they received a valid launch order but then the situation changed before they could fire. The K-129 did not have a proper launch order at all, if they were launching (and it certainly looks like they tried to) it was a rogue operation by someone in Moscow.

Yes Sir Yee An ICBM Is Definitely Not A SLBM.

You right K&C. I stand corrected. My bad. So Oops! :sadyes:

Peace man

Pegasus

Back
Top Bottom