• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The shipwreck you most want to be found

dockeen

Basic Beliefs
Ex-Tian, now a general seeker
How is this for providing narrow content?

What shipwreck whose exactly location is not currently known would you like to have found?

Some candidates from me:

- Shinano - Japanese aircraft carrier,sister to the Yamato and Musashi

- Marine Sulfur Queen - Bermuda triangle victim

- Andrea Gail - fishing boat from Perfect Storm

- Oklahoma - battleship capsized at Pearl Harbor, raised, being towed to be scrapped when tow line parted in a storm and sank.

Finding the SS Minnow would be more feasible.

Not really a shipwreck per se, but the Apollo 10 ascent stage is the only intact lunar module ascent stage in existence. It was placed in heliocentric orbit and has not been seen since. There are some amateur groups that look for it from time to time. It is possible that, at some point in the future, it will become like the Titanic to space explorers, assuming we ever have such...

I am beginning to wonder.

I am starting to lean towards the idea that it has crashed in Northern Laos, or perhaps Eastern Myanmar. Both are places with thick jungle and almost impassable mountains; a crashed jet there could take a long time to find. Other possibilities on land are far-northern Vietnam, or South Western China - Yunnan or Guangxi provinces. That would be consistent with the satellite 'ping' data; but Vietnam or China have more people in those parts - so the chance of the crash going un-reported for so long in those areas seems lower.

I am starting to lean towards the idea that it has crashed in Northern Laos, or perhaps Eastern Myanmar. Both are places with thick jungle and almost impassable mountains; a crashed jet there could take a long time to find. Other possibilities on land are far-northern Vietnam, or South Western China - Yunnan or Guangxi provinces. That would be consistent with the satellite 'ping' data; but Vietnam or China have more people in those parts - so the chance of the crash going un-reported for so long in those areas seems lower.

I keep naively expecting an aha type moment, I don't think my pea-like brain is ready for this to be a lasting mystery.

It's suspected somewhere between Malaysia, Indonesia and Philippines. Around the Dutch East Indies as was called at the time. Lots of US Subs were sunk around there I believe.

I knew that there were many that simply disappeared in that theater during the war. I can not imagine how hard it must have been on your grandfather's family.

I knew that there were many that simply disappeared in that theater during the war. I can not imagine how hard it must have been on your grandfather's family.

My dad, who was about 6 years old at the time that the sub went missing, tells me that it wasn't until the mid-1960's that my grandmother finally gave up on the idea that my grandfather might be on a remote island still waiting for rescue.

I never had a baking soda submarine. I was into motorizing plastic model kits. I can't tell you how many destroyers and battleships we set loose on the local pond, threw rocks at until it sank, swam down to get and fix up and then smash it again. Ultimately there is likely still a small graveyard of smashed plastic model ships at the bottom of the pond across from my parents house.

Back
Top Bottom