• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The trials of the Capitol assaulters

They had just heard the President's lawyer tell them they needed to have trial by combat. Their President had just filled their heads with lies about The Steal, about Mike Pence's failure to act, and about the fraudulent vote certification about to take place -- and that if they didn't fight for their country, they wouldn't have a country. That they should go to the Capitol and he would be with them. Right. They became a mob of criminal Republicans who broke into the #1 symbol of our democracy, chanting that they were going to hang the Vice President. And they trashed the place. And they did, for the hours they rampaged, bring the democratic process to a halt.
Fuck a political party that could produce a mob like that and then make all kinds of back-end justifications and qualifications for that mob. Fuck a party that has so little patriotism that it is willing to perpetuate Trump's lies about 2020, no matter what damage that does to the country. Hypocrisy, cowardice, and outrageous lies are the hallmarks of the GOP.

So are you saying the above didn't happen on 1/6?

Woah there, Mr. Straw man. Some may have trespassed and others destroyed property. But there’s no insurrection or seditious conspiracy. Pity your precious narrative.

Why did you dodge the question?

And I didn't say anything about conspiracy. Talk about a straw man.

Woah there, Mr. Straw man. Some may have trespassed and others destroyed property. But there’s no insurrection or seditious conspiracy. Pity your precious narrative.

Maybe it wasn't exactly an "insurrection". But the rioters and some republican politicians tried to stop the certification of the election. A constitutionally required activity.

The answer is ZERO.

Is that supposed to mean something?

You insist on labeling them insurrectionist. Is this due to ignorance or calumny?

As a matter of simple English usage, I certainly regard the Jan. 6 insurrectionists to be "insurrectionists" whether prosecutors used that term in the charging documents or not. It is extremely common for criminals to be charged only with lesser, easier-to-prove crimes.

And by the way, are you aware that insulting a fellow poster is against TFT rules?

Unless you are omnipotent, you have no basis for the factual claim of no insurrection or seditious conspiracy. Sedition is simply "conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch". The protesters were clearly rebelling against the authority of the state. And the protesters were clearly egged on by the speech of some people. Moreover, there is evidence that some of the protesters co-ordinated their efforts to get to DC and to protest. Hell, there is even evidence that some of the protesters were in contact with the Trump campaign.

Now, whether or not
1) their actions and efforts meet the legal standard of sedition, or
2) there is sufficient evidence to expect a conviction, or
3) it is wise to indict and try these protesters for sedition,

is an open question. But it is a fact that some of these protesters and their enablers engaged in sedition and conspired to engage in sedition.

Unless you are omnipotent, you have no basis for the factual claim of no insurrection or seditious conspiracy. Sedition is simply "conduct or speech inciting people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch". The protesters were clearly rebelling against the authority of the state. And the protesters were clearly egged on by the speech of some people. Moreover, there is evidence that some of the protesters co-ordinated their efforts to get to DC and to protest. Hell, there is even evidence that some of the protesters were in contact with the Trump campaign.

Now, whether or not

is an open question. But it is a fact that some of these protesters and their enablers engaged in sedition and conspired to engage in sedition.

Willful ignorance. The prime trait of right-wingers.

Exclusive: FBI finds scant evidence U.S. Capitol attack was coordinated - sources

In public comments last month to the Democratic-led congressional committee formed to investigate the violence, police officers injured in the mayhem urged lawmakers to determine whether Trump helped instigate it. Some Democrats have said they want him to testify.

But the FBI has so far found no evidence that he or people directly around him were involved in organizing the violence, according to the four current and former law enforcement officials.

There was little coordination during the French revolution too. Didn't stop heads from rolling.

You appear to be trying to downplay the seriousness of the 1/6 insurrection. Why?

Because orange man good and needs to be protected at all costs.

'QAnon Shaman' Reaches Plea Deal, Now 'Repudiates' Association With 'Q,' Lawyer Says | HuffPost
Jacob Chansley’s lawyer called for “patience and compassion” for his client, who he said has “genuine mental health issues.”

The man known as the “QAnon Shaman” has reached a plea deal with federal prosecutors after spending several months behind bars following his arrest for his conduct on Jan. 6, and no longer wants to be associated with the QAnon movement, his lawyer said Thursday.

Jan. 6 Rioter Goes Back To Jail Over 'Addiction' To Online Conspiracy Theories | HuffPost
A QAnon conspiracy theorist who stormed the U.S. Capitol in support of former President Donald Trump was ordered jailed once again on Thursday after he went online to watch conspiracy videos in violation of his conditions of pretrial release.

Doug Jensen was arrested in Des Moines, Iowa, just two days after the Capitol attack. HuffPost reporter Igor Bobic captured video of Jensen at the head of a mob as he chased Officer Eugene Goodman up a flight of stairs and came within a few feet of the entrance to the Senate chamber.

Jensen was released from jail, over the government’s objection, under strict conditions in July. As BuzzFeed News reported last month, a court officer discovered Jensen was using a WiFi-connected iPhone to watch videos online, and had watched a so-called “cyber symposium” that was hosted by MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell, a prominent conspiracy theorist who has boosted baseless claims that the 2020 election was stolen.
How many others are also guilty of similar release-terms violations?

'QAnon Shaman' Reaches Plea Deal, Now 'Repudiates' Association With 'Q,' Lawyer Says | HuffPost
Jacob Chansley’s lawyer called for “patience and compassion” for his client, who he said has “genuine mental health issues.”

The man known as the “QAnon Shaman” has reached a plea deal with federal prosecutors after spending several months behind bars following his arrest for his conduct on Jan. 6, and no longer wants to be associated with the QAnon movement, his lawyer said Thursday.

I thought the interview was interesting, particularly his saying that he regretted "entering that building with every fiber of my being."

That seems to be the red line for lots of these rioters. They just don't want to pay the price for their behavior.

Some of us, obviously, have better command and control of our behavior. We question claims that are only claims, regardless of how those claims make us feel, whether good or bad, regardless of our emotional attachment. We decide that hearing a claim feels pretty damn good or it makes us pretty damn angry, but it doesn't drive us to do something really stupid.

Chansley was really miffed that he didn't get pardoned but at the time of the interview he was still loyal to Orange.

Thought to add this quote from the article:

“The road leading up to the events of January 6 traversed years. The path charted by Mr. Chansley since January 6 has been a process, one which has involved pain, depression, solitary confinement, introspection, recognition of mental health vulnerabilities, and a coming to grips with the need for more self-work,” Watkins said. “It is imperative that patience and compassion be accorded those, who like Mr. Chansley, were non-violent, peaceful and possessed of genuine mental health issues which rendered them more vulnerable to the propaganda of the day but who, at the end of day, seek to be accountable for their actions.”

I can certainly go along with that.

I thought the interview was interesting, particularly his saying that he regretted "entering that building with every fiber of my being."

That seems to be the red line for lots of these rioters. They just don't want to pay the price for their behavior.

Some of us, obviously, have better command and control of our behavior. We question claims that are only claims, regardless of how those claims make us feel, whether good or bad, regardless of our emotional attachment. We decide that hearing a claim feels pretty damn good or it makes us pretty damn angry, but it doesn't drive us to do something really stupid.

Chansley was really miffed that he didn't get pardoned but at the time of the interview he was still loyal to Orange.

“The road leading up to the events of January 6 traversed years. The path charted by Mr. Chansley since January 6 has been a process, one which has involved pain, depression, solitary confinement, introspection, recognition of mental health vulnerabilities, and a coming to grips with the need for more self-work,” Watkins said. “It is imperative that patience and compassion be accorded those, who like Mr. Chansley, were non-violent, peaceful and possessed of genuine mental health issues which rendered them more vulnerable to the propaganda of the day but who, at the end of day, seek to be accountable for their actions.”

I still want to hear something like, "Trump lied. I believed him. My life is ruined!".
Tom

Now, whether or not

But none of them have been charged with that. It's been, what, nine months?

I still want to hear something like, "Trump lied. I believed him. My life is ruined!".
Tom

On another forum I said this:

Funny, isn't it? These guys who thought they were starting a revolution - and were so convinced of their righteousness that they filmed their crimes - knuckle under when faced with federal charges.

Someone responded with:

Bullies are always cowards.

Capitol Police recommend disciplinary action for six officers

The U.S. Capitol Police recommended disciplinary action for six officers following an internal investigation into the behavior of some members of the force who responded to the Jan. 6 attack.

In a statement released Saturday, the Capitol Police said the department’s office of professional responsibility opened 38 internal investigations related to the misconduct probe. Of those investigations, six cases sustained violations and were recommended for disciplinary action.

The Justice Department did not find sufficient evidence that any of the officers committed a crime, according to the release.

Three of the violations sustained were for “conduct unbecoming,” the agency said. One case involved a failure to comply with directives, one involved improper remarks, and the last involved “improper dissemination of information.”

In another case, an official is accused of unsatisfactory performance and conduct unbecoming, but the Capitol Police said in the release that the case is still pending.

Hundreds of law enforcement officials were prepped early for potential Jan. 6 violence

Just two days before armed rioters stormed and ransacked the Capitol, about 300 law enforcement officials got on a conference call to talk about the possibility that Donald Trump’s supporters would turn violent on Jan. 6. They specifically discussed the possibility that the day’s gatherings would turn into a mass-casualty event, and they made plans on how to communicate with each other if that happened.

The officials were so prepared for chaos that they even had a hashtag to share information on the FBI’s private communication service: #CERTUNREST2021.

These previously unreported details come from a person familiar with the call and an email summarizing it obtained by the transparency group Property of the People. The Wall Street Journal first reported that the call occurred.

“Reporting indicates a significant number of individual [sic] plan to or are advocating for others to travel to Washington, DC to engage in civil unrest and violence,” reads the summary of the call, which included officials from so-called fusion centers — regional intelligence hubs set up after 9/11 to track major domestic threats.

The extent of the FBI’s awareness that the rally by Trump backers could turn violent raises fresh questions about why national security and law enforcement officials didn’t do more to protect the Capitol on that volatile day.

Jenna Ryan sentenced to 60 days in jail on Capitol riot charge | wusa9.com - "Ryan was one of a group of Texans who took a private plane to Washington, D.C., on January 6 and eventually entered the U.S. Capitol Building."
She earlier tweeted
Jenna Ryan
@dotjenna

Replying to @tysonstuart
Definitely not going to jail. Sorry | have blonde hair white skin a great job a great future and I'm not going to jail. Sorry to rain on your hater parade. I did nothing wrong

9:43 AM • 3/26/21 • Twitter for iPhone
But she did.

Jenna Ryan Convinced She Won't Go to Jail, Apologizes for Having White Skin, Blond Hair | Dallas Observer
From her tweets about heil-ing Hitler to her unabashed support of the alleged Kenosha shooter, Jenna Ryan sure knows how to agitate her social media followers. Last week, the embattled Frisco real estate broker again enraged many when she appeared to tweet that her blond hair and white skin amount to a get-out-of-jail-free card.

Ryan became an international target of derision after she flew on a private plane to attend the Jan. 6 “Stop the Steal” rally in Washington. There, she allegedly participated in the storming of the U.S. Capitol, livestreaming herself entering the building and posing next to broken windows.
Jenna Ryan on Twitter: "FYI: There is a good-old-boys club in the conservative alt news... They don't like strong women unless super gorgeous or in dire straights. A strong, independent woman with intelligence is not welcome in Alt Media today. MSM is more open to me than so-called Patriot media outlets" / Twitter
then
Jenna Ryan on Twitter: "I should be supported by alt right media outlets, however, I am being left to the vultures of the Left. It's pretty sad that Infowars or The Gateway Pundit has totally avoided my story, while every MSM outlet on the planet is asking for a statement. Quite obvious glass ceiling." / Twitter

Someone responded
tysonstuart on Twitter: "@dotjenna (link)" / Twitter
"You're going to jail. You're going to jail. Everybody going to jail." Overlaid of a clip of Oprah Winfrey in action in her TV show.

She responded
Jenna Ryan on Twitter: "@tysonstuart Definitely not going to jail. Sorry I have blonde hair white skin a great job a great future and I'm not going to jail. Sorry to rain on your hater parade. I did nothing wrong" / Twitter

Frisco Real Estate Broker Jenna Ryan Sentenced in Capitol Riot Case – NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
Jennifer Leigh Ryan, also known as Jenna Ryan, surrendered just days after the insurrection, the Dallas FBI confirmed to NBC 5 in January. She was taken into custody and her home searched by federal investigators.

In the criminal complaint against Ryan, FBI special agent Amie Stemen said Ryan knowingly entered a restricted building where the vice president was present and engaged in disruptive conduct in the Capitol with the intent to disrupt the session of Congress.

Greene granted permission to enter 'patriot wing' of DC jail to visit Jan. 6 defendants | TheHill
Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (Ga.) was finally granted access late Thursday night to enter the D.C. Department of Corrections to visit accused Jan. 6 rioters after months of trying.

Her office confirmed her visit in a statement, saying she had visited the "patriot wing" of the D.C. Jail on a three-hour tour and spoken directly with the accused Jan. 6 rioters.

Her office added that Greene was granted access only after "months of requesting access with letter after letter and call after call."
Marjorie Taylor Greene 🇺🇸 on Twitter: "1. Last night we toured the DC jail. ..." / Twitter
1. Last night we toured the DC jail.

My staff and I are writing a full report this morning on our 3+ hour long tour.

I’ve never seen human suffering like I witnessed last night.

While some were shown to us in seemingly beneficial programs, others were in tortuous lockdown.

2. Some inmates were receiving continuing education classes, others were truly suffering from long stays in solitary confinement for “bad behavior.”

I’ll never forget hearing their screams.

This was in a different part of the jail, not the J6 part.

Being alone surely is hell.

3. At what seemed the end of our tour as we were being led toward the exit, we had not seen the J6 defendants yet.

I asked to see them & was told it was not part of my tour.

I demanded to see them and would have gone scorched earth if I was not allowed and was making it known.

4. Phone calls were made & permission was given.

We then were taken to another section of the jail and entered the Patriot wing.

I was greeted by men with overwhelming cheers who rushed out to meet me with tears streaming down their faces.

They have felt forgotten & hopeless.

5. It was like walking into a prisoner of war camp and seeing men who eyes can’t believe someone had made it in to see them.

They are suffering greatly.

Virtually no medical care, very poor food quality, and being put through re-education which most of them are rejecting.

6. Our detailed report will outline everything we saw in every area of the jail we were allowed to see, on behalf of all inmates.

7. I am committed to ending this political war and seeing that our justice system is never used against Americans as a political weapon ever again.

I am also beginning a plan for real prison reform.

Our nation is broken and our people are divided.

It’s time to fix it.
I enjoyed reading this, because I enjoyed watching what happens when the shoe is on the other foot, when it's right-wingers' favorite people who are suffering.

Jesus Christ. Remember back in the olden days when defecting to Russia or attacking a policeman was the worst thing a person could do in the eyes of Republicans?

I just read and am "gifting" an I interesting article from WaPo.. It claims that after an investigation, it was found that only a small percentage of those who participated in the capital invasion had alliances with far right groups. To me, it sounds as if most of the invaders got riled up by Trump and began rioting. Most of them had no criminal records and had no plans of doing anything like they did on January 6th. Perhaps this says more about humans and how easily some groups can be easily lead to riot. I think the article will be available to be read in its entirety for 2 weeks, if I remember correctly the rules that allow subscribers to gift articles. So, make of it what you will.

https://wapo.st/30c4JHW

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom