• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Trumps snub the Bidens on their way out

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Trumps' snub of Bidens historic in its magnitude - CNNPolitics
On the morning of January 20, Donald Trump and Melania Trump will depart the White House as President and first lady, but they will not invite their incoming counterparts, Joe and Jill Biden, inside before they do.

The dissolving of one of America's most enduring transfer-of-power rituals -- the outgoing president welcoming the incoming president on the steps of the North Portico, and then riding with them to the United States Capitol -- is just one of the snubs the Trumps are perpetrating as they leave Washington.

Instead of a president and first lady, the Bidens will be greeted by the White House chief usher Timothy Harleth, according to a source familiar with the day's events and planning. ...

The afternoon of Inauguration Day, then-President Biden will participate in a ceremonial wreath-laying at Arlington National Cemetery, joined by former Presidents Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama. ...

I was at about six change of command ceremonies in 20 years. Officers tgat i knew HATED each other put on their big boy pants and smiled and gave each other their ritualistic dance steps.

What the fuck goes thru one's mind knowing that this tantrum will be international news? That no historian will fail to mention this snub?
They may skip over the choices not to set flags at half-mast, or only doing so under duress, but this last chance to not look like a selfish petulant asshole for one brief insrrant will never come again.
Nor will he be invited to any gathering of former presidents, or graciously sent overseas on our dime to significant funerals and weddings to represent US.
He's a living Little Golden Book on how NOT to President a country.

I was at about six change of command ceremonies in 20 years. Officers tgat i knew HATED each other put on their big boy pants and smiled and gave each other their ritualistic dance steps.

What the fuck goes thru one's mind knowing that this tantrum will be international news? That no historian will fail to mention this snub?
They may skip over the choices not to set flags at half-mast, or only doing so under duress, but this last chance to not look like a selfish petulant asshole for one brief insrrant will never come again.
Nor will he be invited to any gathering of former presidents, or graciously sent overseas on our dime to significant funerals and weddings to represent US.
He's a living Little Golden Book on how NOT to President a country.

I hope his portrait never hangs in the White House. Maybe in some basement broom closet or restroom...

I hope his portrait never hangs in the White House. Maybe in some basement broom closet or restroom...

Or we could go with the kiddie attention span model mastered by restaurant chains across the US.
A color-by-numbers placemat. A stack of them someplace in the hallway, in a tasteful wicker basket. Free, take as many as you like. One free sharpie for every visitor. A box of official White House crayons available for a nominal donation to BLM.

He doesn't want to be in the line of fire when his rally shows up. Rumor has it, that all security personnel is under investigation to make sure no Confederated flag waivers are a part of securing the inauguration. In other words no friendly fire there either. At least that's the message the nut jobs will receive.

He doesn't want to be in the line of fire when his rally shows up. Rumor has it, that all security personnel is under investigation to make sure no Confederated flag waivers are a part of securing the inauguration. In other words no friendly fire there either. At least that's the message the nut jobs will receive.

I can't believe they wish to risk President Pelosi or President Harris...

No, remeber? The impeachment of Trump, in their calculus, would have resulted in Hillary as Pres.
If they shoot Biden, they must think we reset to the second-place candidate, and Trump rises to power.

No wonder they call it the DTs when alcoholics see things that aren't there. His fans see a great man, but in the end, Trump isn't complex. He's an immature, extremely petty individual, filled with the rage that justified self-doubt creates.

I hope they remove his animatronic from Disney’s hall of presidents

And put it in his Presidential library.
Coin-operated keyboard.
You type, he says.
One dollar, then you can make him say, "I'm a loser."

He'll bitch when he learns people keep dialing for the Donal Duck voice ($1 extra), for "Grrrrab 'em by th' PUSHY!", but when he sees how much they're making off it, he calm down.

Randi Rhodes said this afternoon that at least a dozen of the National Guard in DC have been removed from duty due to conflicting political sentiments (my words).

Or we could go with the kiddie attention span model mastered by restaurant chains across the US.
A color-by-numbers placemat. A stack of them someplace in the hallway, in a tasteful wicker basket. Free, take as many as you like. One free sharpie for every visitor. A box of official White House crayons available for a nominal donation to BLM.

Will Crayola make boxes of just Orange crayons?

It's really for the best. Trump following normal transition protocols would be like someone showing up at a party drunk, pissing all over the walls, then asking if they can come to breakfast the next morning like nothing happened. Better for everyone if he just goes away unnoticed.

Will Crayola make boxes of just Orange crayons?

No, but a box with red, white, blue, black, orange, apricot, cantaloupe, tangerine, clementine, titian, redhead, and yellow.

It's really for the best. Trump following normal transition protocols would be like someone showing up at a party drunk, pissing all over the walls, then asking if they can come to breakfast the next morning like nothing happened.
I'd expect a Rickover.
Normally, the y don't name warships after a person until they're dead. Father of the Nuclear (Power) Navy, Rickover had enough clout yyo get ond while alive. They named a fast-attack submarine after him. Which pissed him off, he thought he deserved an aircraft carrier.

So at the commissioning ceremony, he stood stock still the entire time. Walked onto the little stage, stood... never spoke, never applauded, never turned towards the speakers or the ship or the champagne.

I could really see Trump emulating this act. Standing too close to the podium, forcing people to move around him before and after speaking, being in every photo of presenters and of the swearing-in. No word of congrats, or acknowledgment, or well-wishes...

Melania Trump has not reached out to Jill Biden, Ashley Biden says - "President-elect Joe Biden's daughter, Ashley Biden, 39, indicated in an exclusive interview with TODAY that her mom hasn't heard from Melania Trump."
resident-elect Joe Biden's daughter, Ashley Biden, 39, indicated in an exclusive interview with TODAY's Jenna Bush Hager that the current first lady will not be participating in the usual ceremony with Jill Biden. The tradition involves the outgoing first lady welcoming her successor for a "tea and tour" visit and an invitation to tour the second floor of the White House and meet with the residence staff.

Opinion: Melania Trump's disappointing break with tradition - CNN
Understandably lost in the morass of the horrifying things that have happened leading up to Joe Biden's inauguration is something that did not happen. Melania Trump will become the first modern first lady not to invite the woman who will replace her to the White House for a walk-through of the private living quarters on the second and third floors.

From Bess Truman and Mamie Eisenhower's meeting, to the visit Laura Bush hosted where Jenna and Barbara Bush showed Sasha and Malia Obama how to slide down the banister in the Residence, to the visit where Michelle Obama invited Melania Trump even after Donald Trump had questioned her husband's citizenship, this tradition has long been one of the first lady's many unwritten obligations. And Melania Trump has discarded it.

It's perhaps unsurprising that Melania Trump has flouted a social norm of her position. Every one-term president -- and his wife -- have felt the sting of defeat, but unlike her husband, none of them have refused to accept the election results. Betty Ford was furious when her husband lost his 1976 race to Jimmy Carter. "No matter who follows you, you know they didn't deserve to be there," she once said. Scathing, yes, but brutally honest. Ford canceled the tour she was to give to Rosalynn Carter twice, and when it finally did take place, Carter said she received a "brief, but cordial" walk-through. The important thing, though, is that it happened.

Melania Trump departing White House with lowest favorability of her tenure - CNNPolitics
That figures.

the current first lady will not be participating in the usual ceremony with Jill Biden. The tradition involves the outgoing first lady welcoming her successor for a "tea and tour" visit and an invitation to tour the second floor of the White House and meet with the residence staff.
Well, of course not. What would she do? Vaguely wave at people as they go by? "This one i see a lot. I think she does food. That one does hair, that one, i think, fake Melania hair?"
And there's Jill, "Oh, Sandy! Good to see you again! Michelle says hi!"

Trumps' snub of Bidens historic in its magnitude - CNNPolitics
On the morning of January 20, Donald Trump and Melania Trump will depart the White House as President and first lady, but they will not invite their incoming counterparts, Joe and Jill Biden, inside before they do.

The dissolving of one of America's most enduring transfer-of-power rituals -- the outgoing president welcoming the incoming president on the steps of the North Portico, and then riding with them to the United States Capitol -- is just one of the snubs the Trumps are perpetrating as they leave Washington.

Instead of a president and first lady, the Bidens will be greeted by the White House chief usher Timothy Harleth, according to a source familiar with the day's events and planning. ...

The afternoon of Inauguration Day, then-President Biden will participate in a ceremonial wreath-laying at Arlington National Cemetery, joined by former Presidents Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama. ...

Did they have a choice? I can see why the Secret Service wouldn't want a suspected domestic terrorist to attend all the ceremonies and so forth, if possible. Is he snubbing the "Green Zone", or just prudently not allowed in it?

Back
Top Bottom