• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Tunguska disaster - 107th anniversary

lpetrich

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Back when it existed, my family visited the Soviet Union. One of the books that we got there is a book on Soviet spaceflight. It talked about planetary science also, and it mentioned a remarkable event.

Russia, 1908 June 30, 7:14 Krasnoyarsk time. About 750 km / 460 mi northeast of Krasnoyarsk in the middle of Siberia.

A pillar of bluish fire moves across the sky from east to north, almost as bright as the Sun. It makes a flash and a sound sort of like artillery. It also makes a shock wave that knocks nearby people over and breaks windows hundreds of km/mi away. It is picked up at meteorological stations as far as Britain, and it makes an earthquake with Richter magnitude 5.0.

It makes upper-atmosphere ice clouds that light up the night sky for a few days, and it puts dust into the air which lasts for several months.

Investigators did not arrive at the site for some years afterward. Local people were reluctant to visit because they believed that the event was a visitation by their fire god Ogdy.

From  Tunguska event:
The spectacle that confronted Kulik as he stood on a ridge overlooking the devastated area was overwhelming. To the explorers' surprise, no crater was to be found. There was instead around ground zero a vast zone (8 kilometres [5.0 mi] across) of trees scorched and devoid of branches, but standing upright. The trees farther away had been partly scorched and knocked down in a direction away from the centre. Much later, in the 1960s, it was established that the zone of leveled forest occupied an area of some 2,150 square kilometres (830 sq mi), its shape resembling a gigantic spread-eagled butterfly with a "wingspan" of 70 kilometres (43 mi) and a "body length" of 55 kilometres (34 mi).
Another site: The UnMuseum - The Great Siberian Explosion

I've seen estimates of its explosive force like 40 megatons. That makes the event's explosion bigger than any well-witnessed explosion on our planet in humanity's history until  Tsar Bomba (50 megatons) or some other big nuclear explosion. The recent  Chelyabinsk meteor had an explosive force only 1/100 of that.

Though the Tunguska explosion left no macroscopic fragments that anyone has been able to find, there is some dust there with composition anomalies like increased iridium.

I've found several theories for it, like:
  • Small stony asteroid or comet, with a diameter ranging from 60 m (200 ft) to 190 m (620 ft)
  • Lump of antimatter (sort-of mirror matter that's mostly like ordinary matter, not any sort of bizarro matter)
  • Mini black hole
  • Extraterrestrial spacecraft
  • Non-extraterrestrial: gas eruption from the Earth's interior

I close with this short-short story that I composed: Tunguska and the Titanic on FictionPad

My vote is that it was a comet. Made of ice, it would leave almost no debris. We're lucky it hit in the middle of nowhere.

I always read your stuff man. I appreciate the effort you put into it.

Also always been interested in Tunguska, hadn't looked into the recent work being done. Like post-1999. Very cool that the further back it gets in time the better we are at applying our science to get at the facts.

Thanx. BTW, my short-short story is based on the extraterrestrial-spacecraft hypothesis for this event.

Did aliens time your post so it was exactly at 1:07 pm?

I always read your stuff man. I appreciate the effort you put into it.
Thanx.

I got the idea by considering what the event might look like to the society that the spaceship belonged to. I also noticed an interesting lacuna in Desmond Leslie's UFOlogy in Flying Saucers Have Landed, and also George Adamski's Inside the Spaceships. That offered me an opportunity, and I took it.

I'm thought of a sequel where GA's ET friends learn some more about the Titanic, and are rather startled by what they find. Its mood is rather different from what I'd published, however.

My vote is that it was a comet. Made of ice, it would leave almost no debris. We're lucky it hit in the middle of nowhere.

Explain how ice would explode!!!!

Ever seen a drop of cold water dropped into a hot deep fryer?

Now imagine superheating several tonnes of water/ice in the same way.

Ice + Re-entry heating = Fucking Big Bang.

Back
Top Bottom