• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The Turin Shroud is back on display

I suppose that some may want to see what all the fuss was about, just curiosity. Or as a work of art, regardless of it being a medieval forgery, still and interesting object. Others may reject the testing and choose to believe in its authenticity on faith.....that perhaps the scientists were mistaken, the sample taken was contaminated by material from a later period, and so on.

I'd go see it just for the historical aspect and to see it for myself. Not for any religious beliefs. And I'd bet I'm wasn't the only one in the crowd who would be doing so.

Question: Why isn't Trump pushing to have DNA from the Shroud of Turin implanted in the egg of a willing, still-fertile woman, a Caucasian, say, and Britney Spears, for example, to jumpstart the End Times? Funding for the science part to be split between The National Enquirer Foundation and a block grant in the Ryan budget. And this time, we need a Jesus that tweets. Fuck that hitchhike-on-the-nearest burro lifestyle. Projected miracles/attractions on the second tour: raising Dan Blocker from the dead, projecting a demon into a team of Clydesdales; the Tweet on the Mount, picked up only on a special app for the saved; turning a pack of Merits into Dr. Pepper vapes; chasing the money lenders out of Las Vegas; and finding a coin in a fish's mouth (that one was cool, let's keep it in.)

What do you believe, faith or science? Personally, I pick science every time.

Do you have faith in science?

Do you have faith in scientology?
Couldn't L'Ron come up with a relic this impressive? You know, like maybe some depleted di-lithium crystals from Xenu's spaceship, or a desk ornament made from a some non-terrestrial metallic substance - - ANYTHING?

No.

I do, Scombrid. And what I mean by that is that I have more faith that the people who are doing science are objective, honest, and discovering objective truth / facts by using the scientific method, than the zero faith I have in people that just make bald assertions with no evidence or means to acquire evidence - like, "goddidit" and other unsubstantiatable (and falsifiable) claims.

No.

So you think it's completely random that each time you open your fridge the beer is always cold? That sure is a great streak of luck? If you didn't have faith in science you wouldn't board a plane. You wouldn't board a train. Hell, you wouldn't even board a boat.

I'll have faith in anything that constantly is proven to work.

Do you have faith in scientology?
Couldn't L'Ron come up with a relic this impressive? You know, like maybe some depleted di-lithium crystals from Xenu's spaceship, or a desk ornament made from a some non-terrestrial metallic substance - - ANYTHING?

He tried. He thought he knew the existence of a hidden cave where an ancient space craft was hidden and mounted an expedition to find it. With no success.

So you think it's completely random that each time you open your fridge the beer is always cold? That sure is a great streak of luck? If you didn't have faith in science you wouldn't board a plane. You wouldn't board a train. Hell, you wouldn't even board a boat.

I'll have faith in anything that constantly is proven to work.
On the other hand, when i open my fridge and the beer is NOT cold, it doesn't shatter my faith in science. Science doesn't become a bitter lie that was propped up by a willful disregard for examining the actual math behind the coincidences.

I'm not sure 'faith' is the word, though. I have a trust for science built up by dependable results achieved by science. Trust that's earned is not, really, faith the way the faithful try to flog it.
I have evidence for science. My gall bladder scar comes to mind, as does my insulin prescription.
'Faith' usually has connotations of unproven belief.
Accepting things without, or in spite of evidence.

The Turin Shroud is a valuable historical artifact; Despite the widespread production of fake religious relics in the medieval period, few really good examples survive. It would be an act of vandalism to destroy it.

Genuine fakes like that are not easy to find.

Back
Top Bottom