• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The U.S. lacks belief in evolution in reference to the rest of the West. Why?

Religious people hate science and don't understand it.
Approximately half of all the people working in research of all the sciences are religious, of one flavor or another. They understand it just fine.

Undereducated people do not understand science and if they are religious, they are the natural prey of people who will offer to tell them everything they need to know about science.

I'd appreciate some links that show that first claim, please. And thanks.

Approximately half of all the people working in research of all the sciences are religious, of one flavor or another. They understand it just fine.

Undereducated people do not understand science and if they are religious, they are the natural prey of people who will offer to tell them everything they need to know about science.

I'd appreciate some links that show that first claim, please. And thanks.

Sure.
http://www.pewforum.org/2009/11/05/scientists-and-belief/

According to the poll, just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power; specifically, 33% of scientists say they believe in God, while 18% believe in a universal spirit or higher power.

Three main reasons Americans reject evolution:

Hank Morris
Ray Comfort
Ken Ham

I've tried to get some creos to admit that even if people didn't evolve from some other form, they need to acknowledge that genetic algorithms work. As an example I've offered this item:

220px-St_5-xband-antenna.jpg

The evolved antenna has a number of advantages in regard to power consumption, fabrication time and
complexity, and performance.

Despite making every effort to divorce the process of evolution from the development of humans, the creos are so incredibly terrified of the concept that they simply deny the fact that this could be done, let alone that it ever was done. Their line remains "evolution is a hoax and does not happen".

People will see only what they want to see.

That is why reality is fluid.

But reality can be manipulated by the masses as influenced by mass and social media.

But reality can be manipulated by the masses as influenced by mass and social media.
Nice sentences. None of that addresses why this is a bigger issue in the US than in Canada and Europe.

Things are as they are since most of the US is south of both Canada and Europe, perhaps?

I believe for all three areas the further south one goes the more religious is the population.

Screen-Shot-2014-11-16-at-6.50.02-PM.png

Reality is not fluid, human perception however...

Nice sentences. None of that addresses why this is a bigger issue in the US than in Canada and Europe.

Actually, it really does.

No joke intended.

Americans have a different reality than the rest of the world.

- - - Updated - - -

Reality is not fluid, human perception however...

I must disagree with you on that one.

No, that's still just a matter of perception.
Reality doesn't change just because a significant number of Americans have an erroneous opinion about it.

96001b9c6594229fb7468303c0e26157.jpg

If it WERE subject to opinion, then Americans wouldn't suffer such culture shock when we brush up against other peoples and their realities.

Reality doesn't change just because a significant number of Americans have an erroneous opinion about it.

View attachment 11043

If it WERE subject to opinion, then Americans wouldn't suffer such culture shock when we brush up against other peoples and their realities.

Yes it does.

Why would Americans and only Americans have an erroneous view of it? Why would yours be more correct than an Americans?

Yes it does.
Okay. What makes you think so?
Why would Americans and only Americans have an erroneous view of it?
I didn't say 'only Americans.' YOU said that Americans live in a different reality. That's demonstrably false. The perceptions are different, but those perceptions shatter on contact with reality.
Why would yours be more correct than an Americans?
Pronouns are not your strong suit, are they?

You said:

Now it's time for you to take responsibility of what you mean and define it and stop deflecting.

I thought it was pretty straightforward and simple.

Well, look at it in context:
Rayschism said:
Americans have a different reality than the rest of the world.
Keith&Co. said:
Rayschism said:
You're the one started talking about the American view changing reality.
That's kinda bullshit. When we travel abroad, we find that what we thought was real isn't real. That is a shift of perceptions, not reality.

Whatever our opinion was before we visit, say, Australia, the reality of Australia is not affected by our preconceptions of what reality is. This happens time and again when tourists brush up against an uncaring world that doesn't live up to their expectations.

Now it's time for YOU to take responsibility of what YOU mean and support your claim that we can change reality.

Is there a breakdown by U.S. state?

I think it's simply because there is more room - literally - between people in the U.S, which allows people to remain in ignorance. Also, it is more isolated in terms of sharing borders with other nations. So there is less cultural sharing and transfer and the place stays more religious.

Do new religions still arise in other countries like Mormonism and Scientology did here?

Creationism-evolution by state
http://twentytwowords.com/how-many-people-in-your-state-believe-in-evolution/
The percentage of Americans believing in the theory of evolution appears to be significantly higher in this state-by-state poll (as compared to the OP)

Keith&Co. said:
Rayschism said:
That's kinda bullshit. When we travel abroad, we find that what we thought was real isn't real. That is a shift of perceptions, not reality.

Whatever our opinion was before we visit, say, Australia, the reality of Australia is not affected by our preconceptions of what reality is. This happens time and again when tourists brush up against an uncaring world that doesn't live up to their expectations.

Now it's time for YOU to take responsibility of what YOU mean and support your claim that we can change reality.

A surprising number of American tourists arrive in Sydney planning to hire a car to take a day trip to see Ayres Rock.

So far, reality has not been flexible enough to allow any of them to do this.

IMG_2472.JPG

Those are the just plain Americans. I mean plain stupid. Most Americans already know to avoid Australia since we've had experience with hot, hot and dry and hot and wet.

We've got access to crocs with their jaws wired up differently, we call them gators, and anybody can see a 'roo, wallaby, or other variant at most any american zoo. You want animals? I'll give you animals like cougars, panthers, bobcats, wolves coyotes bears brown, black, grizzly. Only those afraid of real test or real architectural beauty would bother to walk a bridge or to visit a bunch of slices hooked together.

Heck man. We defeated Indians and took their land. Well not exactly. I'm about one sixteenth black foot. Indians were about like Australian aboriginals 'cepting the ones in 'merica came from the land bridge between Asian and North America rather than from somewhere near Africa and they came a lot more recently.

I like the southern routes. For some reason, I've always wanted to see to Great Australian Bight.

BTW is drinking beer while driving allowed?

I like the southern routes. For some reason, I've always wanted to see to Great Australian Bight.

BTW is drinking beer while driving allowed?

It varies. In some States, no; In others, HELL no. :D

Australia has some of the toughest Drink-Driving laws in the world. In some states, you can be fined for having an open container of alcoholic beverage in your vehicle, even if you have a zero BAC; The nationwide limit is 0.05 g/100ml BAC (compared to 0.08 in the UK, and in some North American jurisdictions), except for commercial drivers, Provisional and Learner drivers, who all have a zero BAC limit.

Police routinely stop people at random just to Breathalyze them, and regularly establish roadblocks at which every driver is tested for alcohol and sometimes also for drugs (THC and Methamphetamines).

Australia was established as a penal colony, and our rights when dealing with the police reflect that - stopping a vehicle does not require 'probable cause', and can occur at any time for any reason (or none).

In my home state of Queensland, your only legal rights if arrested are to know the charges (if any) that have been made against you; and to know the name, rank, and duty station of your arresting officer. Police are not obliged to inform you of any rights you may have; Nor are they required to allow you to make a phone call or even to contact a lawyer. A lot of first-time arrestees in Queensland, who watch too much US made TV, are very surprised to find this out.

The 'Right to remain silent' exists in part, but you are legally required to truthfully answer any police questions regarding: Your name and address; The date and place of your birth (in drug matters); Questions regarding broken traffic laws or whether you’ve seen an accident; and other questions that they can ask under certain circumstances, and in relation to specific offences in law. So it's not much of a 'right to silence'.

Keith&Co. said:
Rayschism said:

You're the one who said us Americans are wrong. The reality of Americans are is that Americans are exceptional people and everybody else has to be like them.

And I don't have to as I reject your reality and substitute one of my own. I choose the gold pill.

Responsibility is a bullshit word anyway.

You're the one who said us Americans are wrong. The reality of Americans are is that Americans are exceptional people and everybody else has to be like them.
You're really fond of great, big, sweeping absolute statements, aren't you?
That's generally the first clue that you're talking out your ass...
And I don't have to as I reject your reality and substitute one of my own. I choose the gold pill.
You can reject my reality all you want. You'll still wrap your car around a telephone pole no matter HOW much you disbelieve it's real.
Responsibility is a bullshit word anyway.
What a fucking whiny little goalpost-shifter you are.
You're the one who first charged me to 'take responsibility' and when it's thrown back at you, it's a bullshit word?

Maybe you should take a time out until after high school and come back, try this whole 'talking with adults' thing later on.

Back
Top Bottom