• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The usual hypocrites blowing huge amounts of carbon and hot air around

As far as John Kerry, he doesn't own a private jet nor fly on them:

But guess who does own private jets, plural, i.e. multiple private jets? Elon Musk:

Last year, there were 441 flights on his jets. That's more than days in the year.

Is he trying to be that rich guy from Contact?
You are probably wrong about Kerry.
But to be fair about this, our totally shit media makes getting to the bottom of even simple facts like whether or not someone actually owns a jet extremely difficult.
But you know what it does NOT make difficult? Simple math:

Musk 441 flights, The billionaire's jets have emitted an estimated 5,159 metric tons of CO2 over the past year,
Kerry “whopping” 715,886 pounds = 324.7 metric tons of CO2 over the past year

You … you take the number of days given for Musk flights, and compare it to the “whopping” pounds (POUNDS!!!!) of CO2 generated by Kerry. And you appear to think, Well, look how big 715,000 is compared to 441 !!1!1!!one!

But A quick search of Musks flight logs shows Musk flew much much more “In 2023, the aircraft were in flight for more than 1,161 hours, equivalent to over 48 days worth of time spent in the air, according to JetSpy data.” Including “Musk's jets also took some 11 to 15-minute flights between airports in Hawthorne and Los Angeles in the spring. The airports are located less than 10 miles apart,” (a 10 mile jet flight!!). which resulted in an estimated 5,159 metric tons of CO2 over the past year.

It is trivially easy to use math and the internet to convert Kerry’s wife’s jet’s emission “pounds” into “metric tons” to compare to Musk’s.

Leaving you with:
Musk = 5,159 metric tons of CO2 over the past year,
Kerry “whopping” = 324.7 metric tons of CO2 over the past year

How does this affect your opinion of Musk versus Kerry, RVonse?
To me it says Musk is carelessly destroying the planet and he is responsible for that, and you are, too, if you excuse it to throw shade at Kerry.

With regards to Musk, it is not fair to use your (Contact) argument for the same reason you can not use the rocket launching argument.

NO ONE NEEDS TO GO TO MARS WHILE THE PLANET IS CRUMBLING!!!

We absolutely can use the rocket launching argument, because it is spectacularly useless to fly to space if you destroy the planet doing it.

We don’t even need Starlink that badly - not enought to destroy the planet. We were operating badly-but-survivably on high orbit satellite and dial-up before he came along.

Simply because there is no other practical solution for Musk allowing him to run his 3 companies without flying private.

HE HAS NO NEED TO RUN THREE COMPANIES IF IT DESTROYS THE PLANET TO DO SO.

He can go pack groceries for all I care. He doesn’t get to steal my children’s planet just because you think rich is sexy.

One does have to wonder how he does that even flying private. But in any case, its a totally different situation for a WEF meeting where attendees would easily and practically transport themselves in business class on a low carbon airline.

Yes, there were lots of articles about how they should have done this better, and I agree they should have carpooled better. But remember it was not a climate summit, it was an economic summit. So your main charge of hypocrisy falls absolutely flat.

Furthermore (unlike the attendees), Musk is not making statements about how everyone else should lose freedom while he rides on his jet.

Wait, you just told us he was doing the electric cars thing for the environment. For all of us!!!1!!
Are you abandoning that line of thought now?

He is not advocating for others to make hard choices in order to reduce carbon and instead attempting to sell his ideas on the open capital market. That is the right way forward.

The open capital market will kill us all.
Freedom is not worth extinction.
And hypocrisy is NOT more evil than mass destruction.

I could never understand why they have to physically be there. Did not Covid show us that teleconferences can work. What is this need to be there, to smell each others farts.

I could never understand why they have to physically be there. Did not Covid show us that teleconferences can work. What is this need to be there, to smell each others farts.
Because some meetings are best in person.

NPR has had a couple of pieces on this. They posit that the in-person benefit is getting from meeting to meeting, seeing people in halls, getting pulled into impromptu meetings based on the outcome of the one they just left, and seeing what meetings other people are walking into, or out of. Being able to act on reactions and pull in support.

But you know who doesn't employ environmentally friendly travel methods to climate change conferences to discuss the future of the world?

The executives at the fossil fuel companies. Not because they don't have eco-friendly private jets, but because they don't fucking go to those conferences.

At least 2,456 fossil fuel lobbyists have been granted access to the Cop28 climate negotiations, according to an analysis. The scale of oil and gas influence in Dubai is unprecedented, with almost four times as many industry-affiliated lobbyists than the number registered for Cop27 in Sharm el-Sheikh – which itself was a record year. Lobbyists vying to push the interests of oil and gas companies such as Shell, Total and ExxonMobil outnumber every country delegation apart from Brazil (3,081), which is expected to run Cop30 in 2025, and the host country, which registered 4,409 attenders. Fossil fuel lobbyists also outnumber official Indigenous representatives (316) by seven to one – another sign, say campaigners, that oil and gas industry profits are being prioritised over a sustainable planet and frontline communities.

Teh Gruaniad

It doesn't say whether executives attended but it seems their representatives were there in large numbers. Much to the chagrin of Teh Gruaniad.
It's long been an exercise in pretending to do something while not actually do it. Rather like the Republicans.

Back
Top Bottom