• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The usual hypocrites blowing huge amounts of carbon and hot air around

RVonse

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
that people in the US are living in the matrx

As someone who actually does support protecting the environment, it just amazes and sickens me how the liberals drink and suck up the cool aid coming from the Davos attendees (such as John Kerry). The CO2 emissions produced from their jets alone work out to the equivalent carbon coming from 350,000 cars. They want us to eat bugs instead of cow meat while their talk of protecting the earth is completely undone by their hypocrisy on every level. All they really care about is taking more freedom away from all of us in order to further enrich their own wealth and position. Our environment is not a left vs right ideology but rather a me vs them situation.

Thank goodness we also have rich and honest influencers like Elon Musk who are NOT hypocrites offering something real to the cause. Because people such as John Kerry will do nothing but remind us how fake they are about the future of the earth.

As someone who actually does support protecting the environment

As what, your 76th priority?
it just amazes and sickens me how the liberals drink and suck up the cool aid coming from the Davos attendees (such as John Kerry).
When you say Kool Aid, you mean Flavoraid and in general, liberals don't give a fuck what Kerry or Gore or whatever are saying. The data is showing the Earth has warmed. We are seeing the results of this in the form of record *you name it*.
The CO2 emissions produced from their jets alone work out to the equivalent carbon coming from 350,000 cars.
And if they Skyped for the meeting, how much does that impact the global CO2 production for the year? The math makes your complaint ridiculous... as much as it is derivative and unoriginal.
They want us to eat bugs instead of cow meat while their talk of protecting the earth is completely undone by their hypocrisy on every level. All they really care about is taking more freedom away from all of us in order to further enrich their own wealth and position. Our environment is not a left vs right ideology but rather a me vs them situation.
Odd, it isn't a partisan issue, yet you seem to want to make it sound like they want us to eat bugs.
Thank goodness we also have rich and honest influencers like Elon Musk who are NOT hypocrites offering something real to the cause.
Elon Musk has provided nothing that will help reduce CO2 emissions notably. Electric cars are a tad bit cart before horse.
Because people such as John Kerry will do nothing but remind us how fake they are about the future of the earth.
Like you fucking care. You supported Trump, why should we trust your judgment?

Apparently the only right way to manage pollution is to live in a grass hut and hope that everybody else cuts emissions out of the goodness of their heart. That’s how smog and acid rain improved in the US. Those that wanted cleaner air all quit driving cars or using any manufactured good or electricity. The car makers and utilities just magically installed pollution control devices. Municipalities started treating sewage because the environmentalists stopped shutting or at least started composting all their shit in buckets in their apartments.

Of course he supported Trump. Wheeler, Pruitt, and Ross were the most environmental cabinet picks ever.

Look, at this point debunking RVonse's posts is like cheating on a cognitive test but I've still gotta say my favourite quote from his latest...musings was;

Thank goodness we also have rich and honest influencers like Elon Musk who are NOT hypocrites offering something real to the cause.

Elon Musk. The SpaceX rocket guy. Turns out the CO2 emissions he creates solely for his own fucking ego are worse than jet airliners.

Eloise Marais, an associate professor in physical geography at University College London, and co-author of one of the recent research papers, thinks this comparison is "erroneous".

"When we compare the amount emitted from rocket launches to aircraft, it doesn't sound like a lot," she says. "But this comparison was always erroneous because aircraft released their pollutants within the troposphere and the lower stratosphere, whereas rockets are releasing their pollutants all the way from the surface of the Earth to the mesophere, and when pollution is released into those upper layers it lasts for a longer time than earthbound sources."

The studies published so far by researchers such as Maloney and Marais tend to focus on Rocket Propellant-1, or RP-1, because this highly refined form of kerosene is one of the most popular rocket fuels. It helped blast iconic rockets such as the Saturn, Delta, Atlas, and Soyuz and, in the 21st Century, SpaceX's Falcon 9 and Virgin Orbit's horizontally launched rocket, into space. RP-1 is popular because it is cheaper, stable at room temperature and isn't dangerously explosive. It also packs a lot of punch.

Congrats RVonse. Once again the people you support are the biggest creators of the thing you allege to be against. So in a way you are correct - the usual suspects are just blowing nothing but a bunch of hot air around.

Last edited:
The only good thing I can say about Musk is that he lacks Trump's ability to stir up the rubes. I don't think we'll see him run for office. (Although my career as a prognosticator went in the dumper long ago. With my record, Donald will announce a Trump/Musk ticket tomorrow.)

The only good thing I can say about Musk is that he lacks Trump's ability to stir up the rubes. I don't think we'll see him run for office. (Although my career as a prognosticator went in the dumper long ago. With my record, Donald will announce a Trump/Musk ticket tomorrow.)
Waaaaaayyyyyyy to much ego for one ticket. Although it might be interesting to see who tried to off who first and who was most effective in that particular pursuit.

The only good thing I can say about Musk is that he lacks Trump's ability to stir up the rubes.

He does have his fanboys, though. I can't really say anything good about Musk, but his fanboys worship him on a level that's not far off from MAGA.

As far as the notion that folks like Kerry, Al Gore, etc. are "hypocrites" because they fly private to conferences on climate change? It's a fair cop. They'd be doing more if they took a more environmentally friendly trip.

But you know who doesn't employ environmentally friendly travel methods to climate change conferences to discuss the future of the world?

The executives at the fossil fuel companies. Not because they don't have eco-friendly private jets, but because they don't fucking go to those conferences.

Thank goodness we also have rich and honest influencers like Elon Musk who are NOT hypocrites offering something real to the cause. Because people such as John Kerry will do nothing but remind us how fake they are about the future of the earth.

Elon Musk. :rofl: I can’t even.

And I sure like the way the rofl emoji seems to bounce back and forth between the period and the letter “I.” I’m thinking that is going to be the best part of this thread.

Thank goodness we also have rich and honest influencers like Elon Musk who are NOT hypocrites
Holy shit.

You should take this material on the stage; Most stand-up comedians would KILL to get their hands on this stuff.

Bonus points if you can say it with a completely straight face.

As far as the notion that folks like Kerry, Al Gore, etc. are "hypocrites" because they fly private to conferences on climate change? It's a fair cop. They'd be doing more if they took a more environmentally friendly trip.
It's not even an original gotcha. Nomiki Konst had an interview with some guy who now promotes alien conspiracy theories on twitter with the exact same premise five years ago.

"Derp derp. You believe in climate change? WhAt AbOuT pRiVaTe JeTs!!!!!!111111oneone suck on that libruhls!" It's so fucking obvious what the grift is and yet the MAGA faithful have fallen for it yet again.

It wasn't a conference on climate change. Climate change is only a small part of their agenda.

Not true. Musk has a cult following.

Kerry needs to paddle a kayak from Boston to Switzerland if he is sincere dammit.
He could ride coach like the rest of us. A typical airline actually has a reasonable footprint when you divide the headcount by the carbon.

The facts speak for themselves. No one in the history of our planet has done more towards improvement of the environment than Musk.

Before the age of Musk, the big 3 specifically shunned electric vehicles and would not even try to market them for profit. And even after Musk proves it can be done, the big 3 even now have trouble competing with him to deliver the product. No need to pander him, you can even hate the guy if you want but you can not argue what he has accomplished to remove carbon from the planet. We are all very fortunate to benefit from his work, there would have been one hell of a lot more carbon in the air if he had not been born.

RVonse, did you read the rebuttals to your point, though?

What ON EARTH made you think that Musk was the non-hypocfrite in this scenario?
Do you know how much rocket fuel (divided by the headcount!) he has put into the atmosphere?

No one in the history of our planet has done more towards improvement of the environment than Musk.

I have simply by not being Elon fucking Musk. You have too.

The facts speak for themselves. No one in the history of our planet has done more towards improvement of the environment than Musk.

Before the age of Musk, the big 3 specifically shunned electric vehicles and would not even try to market them for profit. And even after Musk proves it can be done, the big 3 even now have trouble competing with him to deliver the product. You can hate the guy if you want but you can not argue what he has accomplished to remove carbon from the planet. We are all very fortunate to benefit from his work.
Electric vehicles don't "remove carbon from the planet".

An EV can have lower lifetime carbon dioxide emossions than an equivalent gasoline powered car, but only given certain (currently uncommon) conditions.

Most significant is the way electricity is generated in the area where the vehicle is typically charged, at the time of day that it is typically charged.

electricitymap.org produce maps showing the carbon intensity of electricity supply grids in real time; If you are charging your car in an area that is green on the map, then your electric car is helping the environment; In the yellow zones it probably isn't doing much either way; And in the brown zones it would have been better to have a gasoline powered vehicle.

Here's North America, right now; This is a good time of day for EV charging, as most people charge overnight.

IMG_1138.jpeg
Unless you are in one of those little patches of the Pacific Northwest, or in British Colombia or Quebec, you are likely driving a coal powered car, if you own an EV.

Ontario and New Brunswick are marginal.

EVs are a first step towards low carbon emissions transportation; But until there's a transition to low carbon emissions electricity generation, they're insufficient.

And we may well see other technological changes (eg making carbon neutral gasoline from atmospheric carbon) that will render EVs unnecessary, as well as insufficient.

Back
Top Bottom