• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

The World in 2030

boneyard bill

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Idealist
I may not be around to see it, but my crystal ball tells me what the world will be like sixteen years from now, and it suggests some very big changes. Most prominent of these is the collapse of the dollar. The fundamentals of the US economy are disastrous. The major problems are the two big deficits: the budget deficit and foreign exchange deficit. The problem with the dollar is that it is backed by the full faith and credit of the US government and that full faith and credit isn't very good. Without the dollar as a reserve currency, we are in about the same shape as Greece, and the dollar's reserve status is about to collapse.

The emerging paradigm is that of "gold trade settlement." That is not a gold standard, however, if gold trade settlement turns out not to be viable, it could lead to a gold standard. Already China has currency swap agreements with nearly thirty countries and other countries that do not include China are also reaching such agreements. These agreements allow countries to settle their foreign exchange accounts with something other than dollars and ultimately, with gold.
Meanwhile, the US finances are so bad that we will either have to default on our debts or create massive inflation to pay the debt in cheaper dollars. Either alternative would bring down the dollar if it doesn't fall even before that.

The collapse of the dollar will drastically lower the US standard of living. At the same time, it would make it impossible for the US to maintain its many overseas bases. Indeed, we will probably have to give up all of them eventually.

This would produce profound changes in the world balance of power which would shift to the BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa). In other words, the most advanced and properous of the emerging markets will be the primary beneficiaries. This means that Europe would have to seek better relations with Russia since it won't be able to count on the US. NATO might not formally disappear, but it probably would become defunct. The EU might continue to exist but it is likely to join Russia and the central asian republics in the Eurasian trade zone either as a unit or as individual members.

In Asia, Japan will rebuild its' Navy and develop nuclear weapons. It will also seek close association with Russia to gain a potential ally against China. North and South Korea will re-unite under pressure from China. And Taiwan will become a part of China, probably through peaceful negotiations.

The US will be relegated to a Western hemisphere regional power, but even here we will face heavy competiton from Brazil and even from Mexico.

In the Middle East, Russia, Iran, and Turkey will dominate. Saudi Arabia and the Arab Emirates will turn to China to offset that influence. India may also play an increasing role here as she becomes more active in seeking to fill the power vacuum created by the collapse of US power. Israel will cease to exist. The Israel lobby in the US is so powerful that they may save military aid to Israel but that is a trivial matter. The loss of US military and diplomatic muscle in the region will expose her real vulnerability: the inability to sustain a long war.

The House of Saud is likely to fall as will the Emirs. A new "fundamentalist" Islam will take over. That Islam, however, will simply be a cover for Arab nationalism. Meanwhile, the split between Shiite and Sunni will persist, however the Russians and the Chinese may act to keep that conflict on a low level. Iraq will probably split into Kurdish, Shitte, and Sunni regions which may be independent or may be federated with a weak central government in Bagdad.

The British monarchy will also fall as will the monarchies of the low countries and Spain. So will the Pope. The office of Pope might survive but the power will not. The Catholic Church will devolve into separate national churches similar to the Orthodox churches. The British monarchy will fall due to the pedophilia scandal currently pervading Britian (and almost entirely ignored by the US media) and due to the unpopularity of Prince Charles. Holland and Belgium have similar problems (as does the US, btw, but the media is keeping a lid on it).

The Papacy, at least in its present form, will fall for the same reason. It is totally engulfed in pedophilia all the way up to the highest levels. But in addition, the Vatican bank, like most Western banks, is insolvent.

In the US, the collapse of the dollar would reduce the US standard of living to at least second world standards and could lead to a Soviet-style totalitarian dictatorship as the government grabs more power in order to "solve" the economic crisis in a pattern described by F.A Hayek in his Road to Serfdom. However, it could lead to the opposite result if the successors to the current elite opt for a greater reliance on free markets as Germany did after WW II.

I could elaborate on some of these points, but I will leave that for the discussion. I suspect a few people here might disagree with my prognostications.

This would produce profound changes in the world balance of power which would shift to the BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa). In other words, the most advanced and properous of the emerging markets will be the primary beneficiaries. This means that Europe would have to seek better relations with Russia since it won't be able to count on the US.

Why? It is unlikely Russia would ever be needed for the EU, even in the entirely fictional scenario you've come up with. Even with its military budget gutted to the minimum as is the case today, the EU still vastly outspends everyone on the planet except the US. It is highly unlikely that we'd need or *would* turn to Russia. If anything, the EU would seek an alliance with China to curb Russia's traditional tendencies. China is a much more sensible partner for the EU to work with than is Russia.

The EU might continue to exist but it is likely to join Russia and the central asian republics in the Eurasian trade zone either as a unit or as individual members.

Not going to happen. What you're suggesting is the equivalent of France joining an independent Wallonia if Belgium splits up, instead of the other way around.

North and South Korea will re-unite under pressure from China.

Ooookay, nostradamus.

And Taiwan will become a part of China, probably through peaceful negotiations.

Oh, I'm sorry for calling you nostradamus; his predictions at least made "sense".

The British monarchy will also fall as will the monarchies of the low countries and Spain.

And you base this on what, exactly?

The British monarchy will fall due to the pedophilia scandal currently pervading Britian (and almost entirely ignored by the US media) and due to the unpopularity of Prince Charles. Holland and Belgium have similar problems (as does the US, btw, but the media is keeping a lid on it).

Uhm... no, we don't have any pedophilia scandal involving our monarchy or politics, And in fact, our royal family's popularity is at an abnoxiously record high. Stop inventing shit to prop up your batshit prophecies. Incidentally, Prince Charles is ALSO not unpopular; while he is obviously not as popular as the queen, the last time the UK public was polled on it, a majority supported him as the next king.

I suspect a few people here might disagree with my prognostications.

No shit.

dystopian writes:

Why? It is unlikely Russia would ever be needed for the EU, even in the entirely fictional scenario you've come up with. Even with its military budget gutted to the minimum as is the case today, the EU still vastly outspends everyone on the planet except the US. It is highly unlikely that we'd need or *would* turn to Russia. If anything, the EU would seek an alliance with China to curb Russia's traditional tendencies. China is a much more sensible partner for the EU to work with than is Russia.

Europe has far more investments in Russia than they do in China and the proximity of Russia suggests that that will not change. Despite their defense spending, I don't think any defense analysts think that Europe alone could stop a Russian invasion of Europe. Of course, I don't think Russia has any intention of invading Europe but that could change over time. Europe's best bet is to assure that it is not in Russia's interests to invade Europe. By your theory, Canada should eschew good relations with the US and look to China for her security.

The EU might continue to exist but it is likely to join Russia and the central asian republics in the Eurasian trade zone either as a unit or as individual members.

Not going to happen. What you're suggesting is the equivalent of France joining an independent Wallonia if Belgium splits up, instead of the other way around.

Europe would have a great deal to gain by freer trade with Russia. The reason it isn't happening now is because the US doesn't want it to happen. It is Europe, not the US, that is suffering the most from sanctions against Russia.

North and South Korea will re-unite under pressure from China.

Ooookay, nostradamus.

Once US troops leave, South Korea will have to look elsewhere for protection. The best bet is China. Meanwhile, North Korea is moving toward a more market-oriented economy. Since South Korea has twice the population of North Korea, the big difficulty will be for China to persuade North Korea to joining the South. But North Korea is so poor and so dependent on China that they can probably pull it off.

And Taiwan will become a part of China, probably through peaceful negotiations.

Oh, I'm sorry for calling you nostradamus; his predictions at least made "sense".

With US power out of the picture, Taiwan would have no hope of preventing a Chinese invasion. But if China offers to do to Taiwan what it did to Hong Kong (essentially leave it alone), then Taiwanese would likely see that as preferable to getting wiped out.

The British monarchy will also fall as will the monarchies of the low countries and Spain.

And you base this on what, exactly?

The British monarchy will fall due to the pedophilia scandal currently pervading Britian (and almost entirely ignored by the US media) and due to the unpopularity of Prince Charles. Holland and Belgium have similar problems (as does the US, btw, but the media is keeping a lid on it).

Uhm... no, we don't have any pedophilia scandal involving our monarchy or politics, And in fact, our royal family's popularity is at an abnoxiously record high. Stop inventing shit to prop up your batshit prophecies. Incidentally, Prince Charles is ALSO not unpopular; while he is obviously not as popular as the queen, the last time the UK public was polled on it, a majority supported him as the next king.

Supporting the idea that the next king should be the guy next in line legally isn't a real indication of popularity. It's like asking Americans if the Vice-President should succeed upon the death of the president. But the royal family has been connected to pedophilia as have many other British politicians. The difficulty is in getting the police and the judiciary to pursue these cases. So in many respects the scandal in Britain today does center around the failure of law enforcement not necessarily around the personalities involved. The establishment would certainly like this to be just the story of Jimmy Savile's personal life, but the public isn't buying it. The problem is systemic and that is what is coming out as even the mainstream media cannot ignore it.

The royal family in Holland also has such connections. It just hasn't been reported and, of course, having connections and being guilty are not the same thing. The pedophilia problem may merely be an embarrassment for the royal family, but it could be much worse. But media in Holland as well as in Belgium haven't covered it. But as it unfolds in Britain and in the Catholic Church, that is likely to change.

I suspect a few people here might disagree with my prognostications.

No shit.

Though I don't disagree with the fact that the dollar will weaken, that it will collapse is hardly likely. It will only do that if there is a complete and utter breakdown in the U.S., something like the Yellowstone supervolcano erupting, along with multiple asteroid impacts, the San Andreas fault slipping about 1000 feet overnight and the election of Donald Trump as president.

All Federal revenues will supposedly be directed to federally administered social programs only by the year 2025. Do you think that will happen?

I've told you this before, but for fuck's sake, learn how to use the quote tag.

Europe has far more investments in Russia than they do in China and the proximity of Russia suggests that that will not change.

The proximity of countries does not matter so much in today's world. Only someone with blinders on could possibly think Russia will remain the largest recipient of European investment. Russia's long term economic growth prospects are minimal; especially when compared to China. And unlike Russia, China has not displayed outright hostility towards the EU or it's ambitions.

Despite their defense spending, I don't think any defense analysts think that Europe alone could stop a Russian invasion of Europe.

You mean no *Russian* defense analysts think that. Nobody else would seriously suggest that Russia could win a conventional war with Europe. At best, Russia might manage some early gains while the EU unifies its defense; but there is absolutely no way that a country with just 144 million people and an economy of 2 trillion dollars could possibly win a conventional conflict against the largest economy on the planet with an economy of more than 17 trillion dollars and a population of more than half a billion (and a nuclear conflict would be bad for everyone, so let's not even go there). Even if Russia had a significant technology advantage over the EU (which it doesn't, EU militaries have the advantage there); there was no way.

By your theory, Canada should eschew good relations with the US and look to China for her security.

It absolutely should if the US had a habit of invading and annexing countries near Canada while giving them the finger and threatening them.

Europe would have a great deal to gain by freer trade with Russia. The reason it isn't happening now is because the US doesn't want it to happen. It is Europe, not the US, that is suffering the most from sanctions against Russia.

The reason it isn't happening is entirely Russia's fault. You may not be aware of the rampant use of sanctions the Russian government is known for whenever a country says or does something they don't like. You can't have free tree trade with a country when that country finds an excuse to ban your cheese or whatever whenever they feel like it.

The reason the EU is more committed to the sanctions now is because we recognize that increased trade with Russia is a noose around the necks of some of our member states. It is not in our interest to increase trade with Russia so long as Russia's behavior doesn't change for good.

As for us suffering from the sanctions; all I've noticed is my food's getting cheaper. The sanctions are certainly felt a great deal more in Russia.

But North Korea is so poor and so dependent on China that they can probably pull it off.

Yes, because crazy dictatorships that don't give a shit about their people have a long history of going 'sure, let's give up our power completely so the peasants can eat. No, no... I'll brook no opposition, don't you know that our nice big neighbors next door asked us nicely?'

With US power out of the picture, Taiwan would have no hope of preventing a Chinese invasion. But if China offers to do to Taiwan what it did to Hong Kong (essentially leave it alone), then Taiwanese would likely see that as preferable to getting wiped out.

Countries do not normally give up their independence just because they have no hope of preventing its lose. Also, given that Hong Kong has been embroiled in mass protests over the central government interfering with its shit, I doubt the Taiwanese would be very receptive to the idea.

Supporting the idea that the next king should be the guy next in line legally isn't a real indication of popularity.

Except they were also asked whether he should abdicate in favor of Prince William; so it's not at all like how you've decided to characterize it.

But the royal family has been connected to pedophilia as have many other British politicians. The difficulty is in getting the police and the judiciary to pursue these cases.

You're going to have to put forth some actual evidence instead of gossip mags and whatever you're pulling out of your ass.

The royal family in Holland also has such connections.

First of all, there is no royal family in Holland; you mean The Netherlands. Holland is just a region in the country, if you don't even know that much it's hard to take anything you say about the country seriously.

Secondly, no it doesn't.

It just hasn't been reported

Yet some random dude on the other side of the planet knows about it. No no, do go on. Tell me, someone from the actual fucking country you're talking about, how I don't know what's going here but you do.

But media in Holland as well as in Belgium haven't covered it.

That's because it isn't there. You do realize that we rank at the top of the world press freedom index, right? Knowing the way our media functions, there is *no way in hell* this type of scandal wouldn't be reported on if it was an actual thing instead of something you pulled out of your ass.

Though I don't disagree with the fact that the dollar will weaken, that it will collapse is hardly likely. It will only do that if there is a complete and utter breakdown in the U.S., something like the Yellowstone supervolcano erupting, along with multiple asteroid impacts, the San Andreas fault slipping about 1000 feet overnight and the election of Donald Trump as president.

All Federal revenues will supposedly be directed to federally administered social programs only by the year 2025. Do you think that will happen?

It all depends on which factors and factions prevail today. We seen pretty much unable to predict about anything. I think Joedad's take regarding Federal revenues would be good for us to consider today. What are social programs? Things society needs. This nation is not caring for its own people properly. I feel we are seeing such major environmental changes, political change is very difficult to even begin to imagine.

Why so pessimistic? Deaths through violence have been declining worldwide for a long time, and indicators of poverty and development have steadily improved. There will certainly be crises to be dealt with, but the outlook for global peace and prosperity has never been better.

Oh no. More predictions of how the dollar will collapse.

The people who have predicting this for the past 50+ years are not very good at predicting.

I predict that in 16 years humans will be dying out as a virus that turns everybody very gay will ravage the entire population. Humanity it seems does not go out with a bang or a wimpier, but with a rainbow.

I may not be around to see it, but my crystal ball tells me what the world will be like sixteen years from now, and it suggests some very big changes. Most prominent of these is the collapse of the dollar. The fundamentals of the US economy are disastrous.
The dollar is actually doing quite well. Inflation is also relatively low.
The emerging paradigm is that of "gold trade settlement." That is not a gold standard, however, if gold trade settlement turns out not to be viable, it could lead to a gold standard. Already China has currency swap agreements with nearly thirty countries and other countries that do not include China are also reaching such agreements. These agreements allow countries to settle their foreign exchange accounts with something other than dollars and ultimately, with gold.
Do you have any reliable sources on this "emerging paradigm".

This would produce profound changes in the world balance of power which would shift to the BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa). In other words, the most advanced and properous of the emerging markets will be the primary beneficiaries.
BRICS have their own internal problems that dwarf those faced by the US and EU. In addition the three Asian ones (RIC) have mutual conflicts.

This means that Europe would have to seek better relations with Russia since it won't be able to count on the US. NATO might not formally disappear, but it probably would become defunct. The EU might continue to exist but it is likely to join Russia and the central asian republics in the Eurasian trade zone either as a unit or as individual members.
Why should EU do that? EU has a GDP about 8 times greater than Russia and more than 3 times the population - you are envisioning a true "tail wagging the dog" scenario here.

The US will be relegated to a Western hemisphere regional power, but even here we will face heavy competiton from Brazil and even from Mexico.
Mexico is right now not even a power within its own border with cartels running the show in many areas. Brazil has the population size, natural resources and economic growth but they have internal problems with development and poverty (see populist reactions to the World Cup). They would be a natural regional power for South America but they have to get their own house in order.

India may also play an increasing role here as she becomes more active in seeking to fill the power vacuum created by the collapse of US power.
A county where half the population has no access to 20th century sanitation is in no position to assume an international role. Solving India's problem with infrastructure and extreme poverty will take much longer than 16 years.

Israel will cease to exist. The Israel lobby in the US is so powerful that they may save military aid to Israel but that is a trivial matter. The loss of US military and diplomatic muscle in the region will expose her real vulnerability: the inability to sustain a long war.
Israel will not go without deploying nukes which will at the very least trigger a regional nuclear exchange in Asia. None of the world powers, even in your scenario with waning US power, will want that.

The House of Saud is likely to fall as will the Emirs.
I agree that this is likely. By 2030 oil and gas will lose any geostrategic importance. Large quantities will continue to be consumed but depletion and taxation (carbon emissions will become an increasing international concern) will cause prices (and production costs) to increase while price of alternatives will go down. By 2030 20+% of new cars and light trucks sold worldwide will be fully electric with most of the rest will be some form of hybrid. Photovoltaic and hot water solar will become commonplace and reduce demand for gas. At the same time new technology will unlock more tough reserves "democratizing" access making Middle East increasingly irrelevant energy-wise. We already see Gulf countries like UAE diversifying their economies and that will intensify which will lead to conflicts with traditionalists.

Iraq will probably split into Kurdish, Shitte, and Sunni regions which may be independent or may be federated with a weak central government in Bagdad.
A strong Kurdistan would destabilize Turkey and Iran as well.

The British monarchy will also fall as will the monarchies of the low countries and Spain. So will the Pope. The office of Pope might survive but the power will not. The Catholic Church will devolve into separate national churches similar to the Orthodox churches.
British and other European monarchies are figureheads. Whether they are kept on or if the relevant countries go republican will be interesting but not that Earth-shattering and ultimately just window dressing. You may be right about Catholic Church, but not because of pedophilia. Rather there is a great disconnect between Catholicism of different regions. And while Europe and North America pay most of the bills the doctrine is most in line with so-called "global South" sensibilities.

The British monarchy will fall due to the pedophilia scandal currently pervading Britian (and almost entirely ignored by the US media)
You mean the scandal involving Jimmy Savile and others? What does that have to do with the monarchy?

The Papacy, at least in its present form, will fall for the same reason. It is totally engulfed in pedophilia all the way up to the highest levels. But in addition, the Vatican bank, like most Western banks, is insolvent.
I think the schism in the Catholic Church over issues like female ordination, (homo)sexuality and birth control is a real possibility. Francis is trying to play both sides on these issues and I am not sure how it will play out. But the fact is that the pedophilia scandal has largely been played out. I can't see any bishops today protecting any guilty priests like they have done for decades.

I could elaborate on some of these points, but I will leave that for the discussion. I suspect a few people here might disagree with my prognostications.

No kidding. I hope this is archived until 2030. I always love reading doom-and-gloom prophesies after the supposed doomsday has arrived. :)
For example, I recall a discussion with Gurdur (alas, no longer active!) about 10 years ago where he claimed that in 10 years time peak oil will have caused air travel to become so expensive only very few rich people would be able to afford it.

Last edited:
Here is my prediction:
Crimea will still be integral part of Russia.
US will be doing fine and still #1 economy
Oil and gas will be going down as electric cars going up.
China will have some problems due to the global shift from manufacturing to services.
Robots will be doing everything what China does now.
3rd world countries will stay 3rd world.
ME will still be a mess.
EU will do fine
Russia, probably be OK too.

Speaking of manufacturing, 3D printing will revolutionize manufacturing in that it will allow cost-effective production of bespoke parts in small series or even as one-offs (medical applications come immediately to mind).

Speaking of manufacturing, 3D printing will revolutionize manufacturing in that it will allow cost-effective production of bespoke parts in small series or even as one-offs (medical applications come immediately to mind).

Robots are still going to be more expensive than Africans. We won't see total automation of drudge work until the Africans are commanding in the order of hundreds of today's dollars a week as an average income; below that cost, people are mostly cheaper than maintaining robots.

Why so pessimistic? Deaths through violence have been declining worldwide for a long time, and indicators of poverty and development have steadily improved. There will certainly be crises to be dealt with, but the outlook for global peace and prosperity has never been better.

He's always presenting the doom-and-gloom stuff from the gold bug sites.

I think it is reasonable to expect the USD will "collapse".
This is what happens in markets. Things collapse.
If the USD stops being the world's reserve currency, if commodities such as oil stop being traded in USD, if people stop using it, if the dollars currently circulating are repatriated then a collapse is a good possibility.
This is what often happens in financial markets. They weaken, and weaken, and finally the last phase is a collapse. Once this phase begins, everybody joins in.
A short term negative for the US but long term may be positive. for the USD and markets have shown themselves to be inherently unstable in important situations. Plus America has not only gone into large amounts of debt but it has made more and more enemies around the globe, and it can less and less count on interests it continues to upset.
One thing America can't do is print other currencies to buy the dollar with.

Back
Top Bottom