• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Theories Of The Gaps

This would prevent humans from ever gaining absolute knowledge.

Who would know that...
EB

Reactions: WAB
The question is: Is there any functional component smaller than a human can perceive or break apart with collisions?
Is there any FC larger than a human can perceive or that they cannot break apart to detect?

The mind is singular. It is not part of some greater whole.

There is no FC larger than the mind.

The mind is singular. It is not part of some greater whole.

There is no FC larger than the mind.
Spacetime?

Some people divide consciousness of qualia from the mind, thinking of the "mind" as the rational component of consciousness.

Do you refer to the whole consciousness when you say there is no FC larger than the mind? How do you know the size of the mind?

I am saying the mind is a singular functional component.

A single mind experiences all things.

And the mind is not part of some larger entity.

So there is no FC larger than it.

How big is the mind?

Limitless.

Do you know of any limit?

We know there will never be a completed infinity but there is no limit to the number of possible thoughts or experiences.

Limitless except for the thoughts others minds create of which you are only dimly aware of not at all aware and have not been had yet on this pin point somewhere out in the hinterlands of the universe, if there is only hone universe, among the material we know about and of which we suspect might, but, don't know be there .....

Somewhere a dim bulb is out shinning you.

That gibberish is incoherent.

I have never claimed every mind is the same thing.

Some things are beyond some minds.

The limitless nature of the mind is in what it could experience and produce.

But of course time and degeneration are limiting factors for every individual mind.

I am saying the mind is a singular functional component.
Ok, I've seen mind referred to as the rational component of consciousness- that which divides and experiences the component of consciousness as individual separate qualia/experiences. You're defining mind as the whole deal?

A single mind experiences all things.

And the mind is not part of some larger entity.

So there is no FC larger than it.

How big is the mind?

Limitless.
Ok, this doesn't really make sense to me. Size is spatial/durational. How big is something is to ask it's size, which is generally in relation to something else measurable.

Are you saying that the mind is larger than spacetime, the singular entity which includes it?

- - - Updated - - -

Not limitless then is it.

ahahahahahahahaha lols...

Ok, I've seen mind referred to as the rational component of consciousness-

Reason is something a mind learns. Or doesn't learn.

The mind is that which experiences all things and has the ability to move the body and move thoughts.

that which divides and experiences the component of consciousness as individual separate qualia/experiences.

The mind is that which experiences the sunset and experiences it after a lifetime of experiences with some true and some false memories. So every mind experiences the sunset in a different way.

You're defining mind as the whole deal?

I'm describing my experience of my single mind.

It is "I" that experiences pain, experiences 'wetness', experiences happiness, experiences all things.

The mind is a singularity that is the experiencer.

But the mind also has the ability to move the body as it chooses. Voluntary movement is movement directed by a mind.

Ok, this doesn't really make sense to me. Size is spatial/durational. How big is something is to ask it's size, which is generally in relation to something else measurable.

Size is used abstractly.

But if we say a thought has dimension, abstractly, how big is the mind?

What are the limits to the number of new thoughts? Except for death or decay.

Are you saying that the mind is larger than spacetime, the singular entity which includes it?

Absolutely not.

I'm saying there is no functional component larger than a mind.

Spacetime is made up of very small functional components. We really don't know how small.

How do you know where 'mind' stops and sensory input starts?
Like animals (dogs) that can seemingly sense earthquakes or epileptic seizures, some minds might be able to transcend the material confines of that lump of meat we call brain.

Like animals (dogs) that can seemingly sense earthquakes or epileptic seizures, some minds might be able to transcend the material confines of that lump of meat we call brain.

That is not necessary to know the mind is singular and individual. It is not a part of some larger structure.

That is not necessary to know the mind is singular and individual. It is not a part of some larger structure.

Everything is part of a larger structure.

What are your thoughts on the hard problem of consciousness, re: Chalmers. I tend to think, as he suggests, that consciousness might be elementary, primary, essential, and not necessarily merely the result of the activity of material parts.

Last edited:
The question is: Is there any functional component smaller than a human can perceive or break apart with collisions?

Who would know that...
EB

Who would know that...
EB

Nobody.

Ever.

- - - Updated - - -

No.

A mind is distinct from all other things.

It is not a component of anything else.

Brought to you by Sha Naw Nope and the Chanters.

Or put more directly:

Why?

Why?

na na.

This is what you as a distinct mind produce.

It is evidence in support of my position.

No connection to anything higher.

Back
Top Bottom