• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

there are two main philosophies in life

That is a representative system with leaders chosen by a democratic process, elections. In our case we are a democratic republic not a democracy.

The founders did not want democracy thinking it would lead to chaos. We got there anyway.

In a direct democracy everybody directly votes on everything.

China considers itself fair and just to its people, we do not. I agree justice is a set of cultural norms not absolutes.

The term "democratic republic" means it is a democracy.

Representative democracy is a form of democracy. A perfectly valid form of democracy as long as the representative looks after the interests of all constituents and balances wants with needs and not just the interests of the rich or the interests of the military.

That is a representative system with leaders chosen by a democratic process, elections. In our case we are a democratic republic not a democracy.

The founders did not want democracy thinking it would lead to chaos. We got there anyway.

In a direct democracy everybody directly votes on everything.

China considers itself fair and just to its people, we do not. I agree justice is a set of cultural norms not absolutes.

The term "democratic republic" means it is a democracy.

Representative democracy is a form of democracy. A perfectly valid form of democracy as long as the representative looks after the interests of all constituents and balances wants with needs and not just the interests of the rich or the interests of the military.

Unter!

There are only two forms of government.

Some form of democracy. Including representative democracy.

Or some form of authoritarianism where an elite minority rules.

People who oppose democracy in effect advocate some form of authoritarianism.

There is nothing else.

People use the word democracy without qualification. It is used as a slogan like this is a democracy nobody can tell me what to do on the right. On the left this is a democracy I demand social justice.

The meaning of democracy is like interpreting the bible, it ends up meaning what you want it to.

The west in general is called liberal western democracy. Liberal not meaning liberal vs conservatize, meaning rights of the individual.

People conflate democracy with justice and human rights.

We could, hypothetically, return to slavery through a democratic process. If I remember right in Athens there was not a lot of participation and oligarchs generally made decisions.

Morality is a function of culture.

Democracy is about how those with power get that power.

Through democratic elections. Election by citizens.

As opposed to appointment by some authoritarian minority.

So a Supreme Court Justice appointment is not very democratic but a presidential election is.

Back
Top Bottom