• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

There isn't really a 'freewill problem'.

Going back several steps... and for the moment limiting the topic to humans...

The act of thinking alters the patterns within the brain. Conscious thought can change brain activity.

Does anyone disagree with those statements?

Hmm... Seems there's this one Sean Carroll guy, yes:
:rolleyes: :D Anyone in this thread.

Physicist Sean Carroll has examined the concept of downward causation in emergent systems and come to the conclusion that it is a "misguided/unhelpful notion".

You might want to have a close look at that.
EB
I get how it's supposed to relate... but I'm having a tough time granting reasonable authority in this area to a physicist who doesn't actually have any background in neurology or even cognitive development or anything really related to the brain. I could certainly be wrong, but I'm inclined to dismiss his opinion as not being relevant enough to merit much attention. If you feel otherwise, of course you should feel free to educate me!

My point being that it is the brain as the central information processor of the body/nervous system that makes conscious experience/mind possible, and that without a functional brain (which includes, ion flow, neurotransmitters, receptors, glial support cells, etc, etc, there is no mind or consciousness.

[edited to comply with moderator request]

Yes - a brain is a NECESSARY component for the existence of a mind. But if you acknowledge that things outside of the brain are also required for the existence of a mind... then the appropriate terminology is to say that the brain is not a SUFFICIENT component.

I've been assuming that these concepts are ones you know and are familiar with. If that assumption was in error, I apologize and I'll happily expand on what the terms 'necessary' and 'sufficient' imply.

The brain is not functioning normally.

I disagree with a lot of what you've been saying, but I really do need to call this out specifically. Sleeping is absolutely normal brain function. It seems absurd to suggest otherwise.

I mean the brain is not functioning as it normally functions when awake.

Consciousness arises because of some specific unknown activity of the brain.

If that activity is altered so is consciousness.

But none of this proves in any way that consciousness, whatever it is, cannot also act on the brain.

The use of the mind to lower blood pressure is a good example.

And the claim that brain has to first trick the mind into thinking the mind can lower the blood pressure before the brain does it is too absurd to take seriously.

Physicist Sean Carroll has examined the concept of downward causation in emergent systems and come to the conclusion that it is a "misguided/unhelpful notion".

You might want to have a close look at that.
EB
I get how it's supposed to relate... but I'm having a tough time granting reasonable authority in this area to a physicist who doesn't actually have any background in neurology or even cognitive development or anything really related to the brain. I could certainly be wrong, but I'm inclined to dismiss his opinion as not being relevant enough to merit much attention. If you feel otherwise, of course you should feel free to educate me!

His arguments about downward causation apply to nature as a whole. Unless you think the mind is somehow not entirely natural you can only take his arguments to apply ipso facto to the mind irrespective of whether he is qualified to deal with neurological processes.
EB

You have no idea even what system you are talking about.

Nothing can be said objectively about consciousness until we first know what it is.

It may be a system unlike any system we have ever encountered.

And it looks to be that way.

Thus the complete lack of any understanding of what it is objectively.

As a practical matter emergent systems are only possible in closed systems. If all is included then no system is emergent as all is explained by interactions among the parts.

Me, I really don't understand what you're saying.

I don't want to push your nature, but you may want to be a little bit more didactic here. Could you explain?
EB

Back
Top Bottom