• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

They're phasing out the on-camera press briefings

Let's be clear. These are not informative briefings.

They are spin.

No reporter needs it to write about what the government is doing.
I think that's incorrect.
The 9th circuit decision against the travel ban used one of Spicer's comments at a press briefing to support their decision.
Spicer said that Trump's tweets were official statements, which meant his rants about the travel ban could (and should) be cited to understand the intention of the ban.

I think THIS is why they're doing away with any recording media at the briefings, because they got hoistified on their own petarditry.

You have an awful lot of press briefings in the USA. It seems a good idea to reduce these somewhat and/or reduce the time for each one.

A world leader should not spend a lot of time in press conferences. I noticed in the UK such events are rare but it depends on the situation.

It isn't the President doing these, it's a press secretary.

They are spin.

Let's be clear, they are getting rid of briefings because they can't handle the briefings. This isn't some sort of "Well, briefings are just antiquainted these day" decision. It is "Donnie! They are grilling me out there!"

Judging by the difficulty they're apparently having finding a replacement for Spicer I think it's because nobody wants to be put in the position of having to interpret the crazy shit trump's always saying. Even Trump's top lawyers can't deal with it. Evidently even Fox News Chris Wallace couldn't understand Jay Sekulow's explanation of why "I'm being investigated" isn't an admission of himself being investigated:
It was a tough day for a man with an impossible job. If White House press secretary Sean Spicer has the worst job in Washington, Sekulow might have the second-worst. And it showed on Sunday.
Professional Republican politicians won't touch half of what he says and does. It would take a Kelly Ann Con-away to remain unabashed day after day. But nobody but Fox has her on for an interview anymore since it did become like trying to nail jello to a wall.

They are spin.

I think that's incorrect.
The 9th circuit decision against the travel ban used one of Spicer's comments at a press briefing to support their decision.
Spicer said that Trump's tweets were official statements, which meant his rants about the travel ban could (and should) be cited to understand the intention of the ban.

I think THIS is why they're doing away with any recording media at the briefings, because they got hoistified on their own petarditry.

I don't think we are in disagreement.

Their spin did come back to bite them but that is not a reason to long for it.

This way they can deny anything. And conservative voters are eating it up. So yes, the Trump administration is rotten to its filthy fucking core, but the Americans who support this are even worse.

This also means the media could also say or deny anything. However press conferences should be recorded which I am sure the press will do anyway unless forbidden which would be stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

You have an awful lot of press briefings in the USA. It seems a good idea to reduce these somewhat and/or reduce the time for each one.

A world leader should not spend a lot of time in press conferences. I noticed in the UK such events are rare but it depends on the situation.

It isn't the President doing these, it's a press secretary.

Sometimes the President though mostly spokespersons on behalf of the President.

Not sometimes. Trump has had one WH press conference.

Why?

The POTUS does not hold all of those press briefings. His dedicated staff do.

I understand your overlords carefully control the press but in the US, people feel differently about things and generally speaking, don't go to jail for saying so.

Why?

I understand your overlords carefully control the press but in the US, people feel differently about things and generally speaking, don't go to jail for saying so.

Where does whichphilosophy live? That could shed some light on things.

Why?

In the UK people don't generally go to jail for saying something unless it is definitely inciting violence. Is there a need for his staff to hold so many briefings. The press can report daily from Parliament.

Political leaders in government and opposition tend to give quick comments and short interviews The PM in the UK. Long conferences by spokespersons everyday are a sort of grandstanding.

The Press on the left and right are somewhat though not usually extremely biased and certainly don't harp on about one party cheating another party out of the election. There's no need because our system is not proportional representation or similar.

Anyway good for Corbyn for doing so well in the election. However he got his figures mixed up and claimed he won the election. He's a little less useless than May but he hasn't accused the Russians of interfering with the election.

- - - Updated - - -

Why?

At the moment in the UK. There is no truth in the rumour that I live on Mars.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sometimes. Trump has had one WH press conference.

He has held rallies instead. I guess Tweeting doesn't count.

They want to do away with Press Briefings and the CBO. He did away with an acting AG and the FBI Director too.

Pretty much wants to get rid of anyone or anything that isn't saying "Yes sir!"

Well, that's his idea of loyalty as well as compromise. Do what I say.
Probably his idea of checks and balances, too.

Why?

I think the rumor was regarding another planet in our solar system...probably starts with the letter "U".

Why?

I think the rumor was regarding another planet in our solar system...probably starts with the letter "U".

I've always said the truth is where we least expect it. Have a close look at Uranus and you'll find the truth. :)

Back
Top Bottom