• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Those bad things some Muslims do? It is about Islam, not whatever your mind reading tells you

Islam is in need of a reformation. Expunging all of the verses of intolerance and violence toward non believers would be good start.

The biggest problem is with the concept of hadiths. Much of the most objectionable aspects of Islam come from here. Such as repeated admonitions to kill Moslems who abandon Islam. But that isn't going to happen soon.

Is "Islam" a singular thing though? Are we to assume that all Muslims interact with their religion in the same manner? We certainly know this to not be true of other religions.

Yes, there is a continuum. I have met many muslims both in real life and online that are outright hateful and closed minded, and I have met ones both in real life and online that are pretty fairminded and borderline liberal, and I have seen them fight about this amongst themselves.

The core problem with Islam is that it is literally the "surender of oneself as a slave to Allah". It is based on obedience to power, even more so than Christianity is, so it operates even more so on tribal lines of ingroup and outgroup. I can't see any way to change that, as it is baked right into the core of the religion. And even the peaceful "moderate" muslims have this problem. They are just as blindly obedient to Allah. They just differ on what Allah wants, and that seems rather arbitrary to me.

Is "Islam" a singular thing though? Are we to assume that all Muslims interact with their religion in the same manner? We certainly know this to not be true of other religions.

It seems that you missed the point of the article that Islam is a violent, intolerant religion not that all Muslims are violent and/or intolerant.

Just as Buddhism being a nonviolent, tolerant religion doesn't mean that all Buddhists are nonviolent and/or tolerant.

If Islam is THE reason for the ugly things Muslims do, why didn't my neighbor Malik, who lives down the street from me, stone his daughter to death for walking to the corner store with her friends while wearing short sleeves and no head covering?

If Islam is THE reason for the ugly things Muslims do, why didn't my neighbor Malik, who lives down the street from me, stone his daughter to death for walking to the corner store with her friends while wearing short sleeves and no head covering?
The majority of people (about 70%) who get infected with the polio virus won't develop any symptoms worth noticing. Therefore all those horrible paralysings can't possibly be caused by the polio virus.

Malik is more immune, that's all.

It's what is in the Quran that's a problem. That not many Muslims actually practice what they are told to do in their holy book is a credit to them. It is the Quran that needs a reformation, expunging the verses that not only encourage violence toward non believers, but order it.

There are some imams who interpret the Quran to hold a more liberal Islam, and some who interpret it in an ugly manner that gives you people like ISIL. And again, there are thousands of hadiths that allow one to rationalize evil savagery. A religion with so much bad stuff in it's supposed revelations that can so easily lead to the savagery we see in more extreme forms of Islam make it dangerous.

It's what is in the Quran that's a problem. That not many Muslims actually practice what they are told to do in their holy book is a credit to them. It is the Quran that needs a reformation, expunging the verses that not only encourage violence toward non believers, but order it.

white men is world problem not the brown people

What's been happening with the Sunnis and the Shiite for a long time? Is that the fault of white men? And what do you say about the words of the Quran that not only encourage killing, but order it?

What's been happening with the Sunnis and the Shiite for a long time? Is that the fault of white men? And what do you say about the words of the Quran that not only encourage killing, but order it?

white men is worse than sunni and shia, sunni and shia DID NOT KILLED 100 MILLION PEOPLE IN WORLD WAR 2

white men is worse than sunni and shia, sunni and shia DID NOT KILLED 100 MILLION PEOPLE IN WORLD WAR 2
Hey, neither did I.
Also, I haven't beheaded any journalists in the last 15 years.
I haven't taken anyone hostage in the last 20.
I haven't forced any woman to cover her face because it's assumed that I'm unable to control myself around women showing their femininity in the last 45 years.

Your point?

Ignoring the racism and inaccuracy (estimates of WWII deaths range between 50-80 million) inherent in your post, I'll just note that most violent deaths of muslims are caused by other muslims. "White men" may have killed more people in 20th century conflicts, but muslims are doing their damnedest in the 21st to catch up.

Last edited:
The majority of people (about 70%) who get infected with the polio virus won't develop any symptoms worth noticing. Therefore all those horrible paralysings can't possibly be caused by the polio virus.

Interesting, you conclusion seems to contradict your post. Your statement says that most people with Polio will not even notice. Yet, you seem to conclude in the parallel that those who are Muslim are a danger.

Interesting, you conclusion seems to contradict your post. Your statement says that most people with Polio will not even notice. Yet, you seem to conclude in the parallel that those who are Muslim are a danger.
Are you seriously telling me you hope there are enough stupid people in your audience who won't notice that the analogy is that those 70% are as dangerous - as infectious - as the 30%?

SJW debate tactics, everyone.

Are you seriously telling me you hope there are enough stupid people in your audience who won't notice that the analogy is that those 70% are as dangerous - as infectious - as the 30%?

SJW debate tactics, everyone.
Oh bite me. I misunderstood the point of your parallel. I understand what you were saying now.

Sue me, then bite me, and then bring up SJW again.

Some neighbours do. One father in Canada killed all four of his daughters for indecent dresses and behaviour.

The problem is Islam leaves very little wriggle room. So a 'good' muslim will do horrible things.

That is why moderate muslims have a hard time countering the arguments of ISIS. They might denounce it as unislamic, but ISIS are on theologically solid grounds.

It seems that you missed the point of the article that Islam is a violent, intolerant religion not that all Muslims are violent and/or intolerant.

Just as Buddhism being a nonviolent, tolerant religion doesn't mean that all Buddhists are nonviolent and/or tolerant.

But my point is that "Islam" isn't a thing. A religion isn't a thing. It's something that people call themselves. The extent to which these people share common ideologies, values, beliefs, etc. isn't clear just given a single word. I, personally, don't believe that one's association with a religion is a good indicator of one's values or a good predictor of one's actions. I've met a lot of people of different religions and I just don't see it. Culture plays a significantly stronger role and that's why you see so many different types of Muslims around the world exhibiting a wide range of behaviors and cultural norms, even within a single country. American Muslims are different than Saudi Muslims and different from Indian Muslims and different from Indonesian Muslims, etc. etc.

Back
Top Bottom