• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Tokyo Olympics 2021

This will be the oddest of games, but I'll still be watching.

Been following some of the recent meets, and I am hoping to see performances like this.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRDzD1UGTmk[/YOUTUBE]

And so Warholm indeed bested that time and set a new record. Above, he broke a 30 year old record in the 400 m hurdles. In the Olympic final, the top three finishers beat that 30 year old mark. The women's 400 m hurdles had a similar record setting final. Some very old records are falling in Tokyo. Flo Jo's 30 year old 100 m Olympic record fell. Which would all be impressive, if it weren't for the "super spikes" shoes and the turbocharged super bouncy Tokyo track. The medals are legit but maybe the records aren't as much. Some runners complaining the track could cause injury. I hope this isn't a repeat of the LZR speedos fiasco.

Back to swimming and Finke. He repeated his performance in the 1500, again coming from behind in last lap to win, though this time from third and not as far back. But his last 50 was even faster this time.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHb5nIoMqJc[/YOUTUBE]

Here's his full 800.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBbmgqp0xII[/YOUTUBE]

Watching again, he only pass 3 not 4 swimmers in the final length, he caught the 4th place swimmer right before the turn. The race reminded me of horse racing where a deep closer picks off the speed duel frontrunners. Finke also improved his personal best in the 800 by 6 seconds, which makes me wonder if he's been adding anything to his wheaties. Only maybe.

(apologies for the gatekeeping at nbc sports youtube)

Regarding Finke, in the 1500 (and 800) he seemed less to come from behind, and more was exactly where he wanted to be. His 50 meter "kick" is stupid fast.

Personally, I'm officially exhausted of the Olympics. Saw so much swimming, watched the men's cycling road race, a lot of gymnastics, and saw that awesome day of track with the high jump, 100 meter, 400 m quals, 800 m quals, and the triple jump which saw its own world record get trashed. I might try to watch the women's gold medal soccer final, but I'm just exhausted with the Olympics. NBC did a phenomenal job with streaming access, which made it very easy to watch a lot of specific events, instead of the chopped up prime coverage. NBC did an absolutely awful job providing info about what was being shown on what. I didn't watch a single thing on a channel, and just streamed everything. The commercials during streaming was very reasonable.

You have to pace yourself, Jimmy, can't go out too fast.

Agreed that it's hard to figure out when anything is on, I haven't watched anything live. There are a lot of commercials, but it's only bothered me when I'm watching a taped event, and they cut away and then come back and jump forward more time than the commercials lasted. This is egregious for water polo.

No kidding! Well, I found the decathlon and was watching that, high jump, long jump, shot put. Saw that awful crash of the Belgian who was in 4th overall I think, and went to sprint for their first long jump, but pulled back. I assumed a cramp or something, hot and all. Then he goes a second time, his form looks off, he goes to jump and his leg just gives out and he crashes into the sand like Peter Griffin would in a short five second bit. The Belgian officials said he suffered several injuries and will be out for over half a year I think. That jump, sadly, will likely be viral forever.

Canada v Sweden soccer final this morning.

Women's Football (Soccer) Gold Medal Match

Canada managed the unmanageable. These small tournaments are such a way something like this can happen. A rather offensively unimpressive Canada managed to win gold against the Swedes. They did so by not scoring a single normal goal in the knockout phase (3 games).

In the round robin, Canada scored 4 goals in 3 games, and finished 1-2-0, only 1 win. They would go 3-0 in the knockout round by scoring only 2 goals, both PKs (with neither PK involving a goal opportunity, both involving VAR, and both not technically bad calls). Canada beat Brazil on Penalties, beat the US with the PK goal, and drew even with a PK goal against Sweden before taking it too in penalties.

Most impressively, Canada went unbeaten in the Olympic tournament, finishing with a 4-2-0 record, in the most unspectacular way possible.

Oh Canada! They take the gold, their first in Soccer ever.

Fun Fact:
The Netherland's Vivianne Miedema outscored Canada 10 to 6 despite playing two more games than she did!

No kidding! Well, I found the decathlon and was watching that, high jump, long jump, shot put. Saw that awful crash of the Belgian who was in 4th overall I think, and went to sprint for their first long jump, but pulled back. I assumed a cramp or something, hot and all. Then he goes a second time, his form looks off, he goes to jump and his leg just gives out and he crashes into the sand like Peter Griffin would in a short five second bit. The Belgian officials said he suffered several injuries and will be out for over half a year I think. That jump, sadly, will likely be viral forever.

Canada v Sweden soccer final this morning.

Seems like he turned his ankle when planting the takeoff foot. Looked painful as hell. A “Wide World of Sports”-worthy moment.

So NBC had most of the Decathlon coverage except the last event (1500 meter). Yak!

Race walking is hard stuff, but it is still silly. Like rhythmic gymnastics.

Announcer: It really is a shame that these girls put so much effort to do all of this hard stuff that just is so silly.

The Decathlete excels in 10 events and gets one medal... meanwhile the race walker gets a medal too. Again, not easy to speed walk 30k or 50k, but it is still speed walking.

But my biggest gripe in the Olympics is Swimming and the dolphin kicking. This dolphin kick BS has to stop. It is the 100 meter freestyle, not the 50 meter freestyle/50 meter dolphin kick.

Back
Top Bottom