• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Toxic Train Derailments - Thank You Trump

You information is slightly out of date
LOL, my information is out of date?!
Yep. Your shitty whataboutisms kinda got settled in the 1860s, if I remember correctly.
Not my whataboutism, LP's.
1860s? Remind me when did you start counting aboriginals as humans?
Dude, the thread's about a derail, not who's the best at becoming one.
Hey now, I resemble that remark.

Getting back to the OP topic. My nephew works for a company that helps clean up and put trains back on rails after derailment. He has been kept busy for years, even before Trump. I didn't realize how common they were until he started working for such a company.

Sensor indicated a wheel bearing was overheating, over 250 degrees above normal. They tried to slow the train down, but there is no info on when the sensor indicated there was a problem, when they tried to slow down, and when the train derailed. Train wasn't speeding.
article said:
As the engineer applied the brakes, an automatic braking system kicked in, according to the report. Investigators found that a wheel bearing was heating up over several miles as the train approached the derailment site, according to data from trackside sensors, but did not reach a critical threshold until shortly before the incident, when it registered 253 degrees above normal.
So, it looks like this will be a live and learn thing and Congress might (won't) require better monitoring. Obviously, avoiding derails is in a RR's interest, but monitoring every car, that has to be pricey.
A security camera caught the train passing--and the axle looks very bad indeed.

Trump to the rescue! He brought Trump banded water to the city of East Palestine. No really. The age of the water is unknown, but what is know is that he brought some water that was labeled Trump... which as far as we know, could have been rebottled water used to fight the railcar fire.

Trump water... seriously? If that guy sold chocolate bunnies, he'd just sell the hollow part.

article said:
"We're bringing thousands of bottles of water—Trump Water, actually," he told those gathered, before adding: "Most of it. Some of it we had to go to a much lesser quality [of] water. You want to get those Trump bottles."

Trump was pictured alongside several crates of water bottles bearing his name that had already arrived; he said more would be arriving on trucks.

"We have big tractor-trailers full of water; I think you're going to have water for a long time maybe," he said.
The question I have was did any other trucks show up.

Trump to the rescue! He brought Trump banded water to the city of East Palestine. No really. The age of the water is unknown, but what is know is that he brought some water that was labeled Trump... which as far as we know, could have been rebottled water used to fight the railcar fire.

Trump water... seriously? If that guy sold chocolate bunnies, he'd just sell the hollow part.

article said:
"We're bringing thousands of bottles of water—Trump Water, actually," he told those gathered, before adding: "Most of it. Some of it we had to go to a much lesser quality [of] water. You want to get those Trump bottles."

Trump was pictured alongside several crates of water bottles bearing his name that had already arrived; he said more would be arriving on trucks.

"We have big tractor-trailers full of water; I think you're going to have water for a long time maybe," he said.
Give him a break. He's just trying to make amends for failing to replace the bad wheel bearing. The guilt is probably getting to him.

article said:

Trump water hasn't been produced since 2010. Those water bottles were 13 years old.

article said:

Trump water hasn't been produced since 2010. Those water bottles were 13 years old.

Unless he slapdashed the labels on new bottled water.

I give him no credit for that, so who knows.

But to spend the money for storing old water is maybe too much for this cheapskate.

I vaguely remember that Biden reverted all (most) Trumps executive orders. So why did not he reverted Trump's order to revert Obama's order to regulate railroad safety better?

In leaked audio heard by the Guardian, a manager for one of the US’s largest rail companies can be heard explaining to a former carman that they should stop tagging railcars for broken bearings. The manager says doing so delays other cargo.

A Norfolk Southern Policy Lets Officials Order Crews to Ignore Safety Alerts - February 23, 2023 8:00 a.m.
noting
Norfolk Southern Lets Officials Order Crews to Ignore Safety Alerts — ProPublica - Feb. 22, 9:47 p.m. EST - "In October, months before the East Palestine derailment, the company also directed a train to keep moving with an overheated wheel that caused it to derail miles later in Sandusky, Ohio."
The policy applies specifically to the company’s Wayside Detector Help Desk, which monitors data from the track-side sensors. Workers on the desk can tell crews to disregard an alert when “information is available confirming it is safe to proceed” and to continue no faster than 30 miles per hour to the next track-side sensor, which is often miles away. The company’s rulebook did not specify what such information might be, and company officials did not respond to questions about the policy.

... The NTSB believes a wheel bearing in a car overheated and failed immediately before the train derailed. It plans to release a preliminary report on the accident Thursday morning.
There was a similar accident some months ago, but it was not nearly as big news, because what was spilled was much less dangerous.
ProPublica has learned that Norfolk Southern disregarded a similar mechanical problem on another train that months earlier jumped the tracks in Ohio.

In October, that train was en route to Cleveland when dispatchers told the crew to stop it, said Clyde Whitaker, Ohio state legislative director for the Transportation Division of the International Association of Sheet Metal, Air, Rail and Transportation Workers, or SMART. He said the help desk had learned that a wheel was heating up on an engine the train was towing. The company sent a mechanic to the train to diagnose the problem.

Whitaker said that it could not be determined what was causing the wheel to overheat, and that the safest course of action would have been to set the engine aside to be repaired. That would have added about an hour to the journey, Whitaker said.

But Whitaker said the dispatcher told the crew that a supervisor determined that the train should continue on without removing the engine.

Four miles later, the train derailed while traveling about 30 miles per hour and dumped thousands of gallons of molten paraffin wax in the city of Sandusky.
Wax is not volatile and it is not water-soluble, so it did not get into the air and the water.

However, wax can burn, and that article did not mention whether or not that wax was burning.

More from that TPM article:
ProPublica asked officials at the six other large freight railroad companies whether they have similar policies allowing employees to disregard such alerts. CSX and Burlington Northern Santa Fe said they don’t, and Canadian National said that no one can instruct a crew to continue traveling when they receive an alert “requiring them to stop the train.” Union Pacific, Canadian Pacific and Kansas City Southern did not respond.

While some employees and outside experts say there are times in which such policies safely benefit business operations, union officials believe they are emblematic of Precision Scheduled Railroading, the most controversial — and profitable — innovation that’s come out of the country’s seven biggest railroads, the so-called Class 1s, in the last decade. It prioritizes keeping rail cars and locomotives in constant motion.

Buttigieg and Amit Bose need to explain just what the Federal Railroad Administration is doing. Is it yet another federal agency starved for the resources it needs to do its job? Is upper management a revolving door of corporate insiders?
Good thing I'm sitting down.

FRA Mission Statement: "The Federal Railroad Administration’s mission is to enable the safe, reliable, and efficient movement of people and goods for a strong America, now and in the future."

Buttigieg and Amit Bose need to explain just what the Federal Railroad Administration is doing. Is it yet another federal agency starved for the resources it needs to do its job? Is upper management a revolving door of corporate insiders?
Good thing I'm sitting down.

FRA Mission Statement: "The Federal Railroad Administration’s mission is to enable the safe, reliable, and efficient movement of people and goods for a strong America, now and in the future."
Maybe the key word there is “enable”. It is definitely possible for the rail systems to be safer, it just appears it isn’t as profitable.

Back
Top Bottom