• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Toxic Train Derailments - Thank You Trump

Engineer, businessman, and inventor George Westinghouse developed a fail-safe alternative. The air from the locomotive would not operate the brakes directly but would instead pressurize air in air tanks in each railroad car. One uses the brakes by reducing air-pipe pressure, making the air from the air tanks operate the brakes. That requires a somewhat complicated mechanical arrangement, but it has worked for the last century and a half.

This means that a loss of pressure in the air pipe will cause the brakes to be applied, slowing or stopping the train rather than letting it become a runaway train. Loss of pressure can be caused by some railcars becoming detached, a "break in two" accident.
This wasn't a brake failure in the first place. It was an axle failure. The first camera that should have caught it didn't, AFIAK the reason has not yet been found. The second did catch it, the crew engaged the brakes but too late.

Be it fighting against safety upgrades due to cost or stretching maintenance requirements due to cost, I'm still putting my money on this being the result of capitalism run amok.

Everyone who owns a home within fifty miles of that accident likely just saw their home values go into the toilet. Think they'll see any recompense within the next ten years? Or what compensation there will be for health issues and when? Norfolk Southern accountants will do the calculations as to how to proceed. Because it's not about lives affected. It's about the bottom line. Always the bottom line.
I don't disagree but they are still much better off and much luckier than if this train had been owned by the federal government. At least with a private railroad firm those home owners have a chance to sue in court and also a chance to collect with a jury of peers. Contrast their situation with a lot of other home owners (myself included) who have gotten screwed over with local and federal governments royally with eminent domain.
Yeah, that isn't even remotely on-topic.

And let's go back to the federally owned railroad... Conrail and the blazing success that turned out to be when the private industry collapsed. No, Federal Government isn't the solution to everything, but jebus man. When talking Federal Government and rail, that is one area AMTRAK in the Northeast and Conrail, where federal intervention was a grand slam.
Not to mention how the native American Indians have been treated in the past.
Holy even bigger derail Batman!

What, no mention of WWII Internment camps or funding Contras?

Engineer, businessman, and inventor George Westinghouse developed a fail-safe alternative. The air from the locomotive would not operate the brakes directly but would instead pressurize air in air tanks in each railroad car. One uses the brakes by reducing air-pipe pressure, making the air from the air tanks operate the brakes. That requires a somewhat complicated mechanical arrangement, but it has worked for the last century and a half.

This means that a loss of pressure in the air pipe will cause the brakes to be applied, slowing or stopping the train rather than letting it become a runaway train. Loss of pressure can be caused by some railcars becoming detached, a "break in two" accident.
This wasn't a brake failure in the first place. It was an axle failure. The first camera that should have caught it didn't, AFIAK the reason has not yet been found. The second did catch it, the crew engaged the brakes but too late.

Be it fighting against safety upgrades due to cost or stretching maintenance requirements due to cost, I'm still putting my money on this being the result of capitalism run amok.

Everyone who owns a home within fifty miles of that accident likely just saw their home values go into the toilet. Think they'll see any recompense within the next ten years? Or what compensation there will be for health issues and when? Norfolk Southern accountants will do the calculations as to how to proceed. Because it's not about lives affected. It's about the bottom line. Always the bottom line.
I don't disagree but they are still much better off and much luckier than if this train had been owned by the federal government. At least with a private railroad firm those home owners have a chance to sue in court and also a chance to collect with a jury of peers. Contrast their situation with a lot of other home owners (myself included) who have gotten screwed over with local and federal governments royally with eminent domain. Not to mention how the native American Indians have been treated in the past.

And this perception that everything government does and any compensation therefrom being poor is just flat out wrong. We had a home taken by eminent domain in the early seventies. After five years of ownership, my folks were paid thirty percent over what they paid. I remember it because my mom was over the moon.
I'm compensated for medical conditions that happened while on active duty. Not because of active duty. They in all likelihood would have been issues regardless.
Once you get away from the government procurement system and some things congress has had decades to fuck up, many aspect of the federal government work quite well. I've been an employee of theirs in one capacity or another all me bloomin' life.

I caught a thing by TYT on the crash and the water quality and was aghast with how unbelievably fast it played with the truth. Even fucked up their reference to Flint, MI, claiming the water was tainted with lead, when the water from the plant was corrosive, but safe to drink, but corroded the local housing water lead pipes and then allowed lead to leach in the standing water.

It was just so awful, the implications they made, the info they discarded. And they clearly didn't understand what in the heck they were talking about. Whined about an air bubble in one of the samples, clearly not knowing why you don't want an air bubble in a water sample (when testing for VOCs). The attitude was awful and the knowledge on the subject was just unacceptable.

I never watch the TYT, but it popped up for whatever reason on a stream.

TYT platform has always been an opinion platform more than a proper analysis platform. It's feel good entertainment for folks who align with their views. Until one day, the entertainment doesn't feel good when the subject matter is personal.

Edit: To me that is.

Transport secretary Buttigieg is a piece of work;

Are you all glad the grown ups are in charge or what?

Transport secretary Buttigieg is a piece of work;

Are you all glad the grown ups are in charge or what?
Do you have a specific question or problem with the current managing of the accident in East Palestine, Ohio, by the Federal, State, Local Governments or Norfolk Southern? Or are you just easily triggered by Tweets?

There was fear about water pollution in wells. I was curious and was looking at the ODNR well logs in the area. It appears most of the water is from the city, as wells aren't too common. Most of the wells that do exist are screened in shale (oi!), though there appears to be a buried granular valley in one part. In general, well testing for pollution right now is a good idea, though mainly for a baseline on clean conditions. It'd take a while for this stuff to actually migrate down to depth and contaminate the aquifer.

Cincinnati was testing the surface water too, as it could impact their water which is taken partially from the Ohio River. In general, they are just going to close the door for the river and let whatever is in the river pass. Their testing indicates it isn't remotely a problem. But why invite chaos?

But people start getting oversensitive to the environment when stuff like this happens. That is quite natural. The trouble is, if the EPA and ODNR and what not aren't on top of things and start explaining beforehand the risk to wildlife and what not at lower pollution thresholds, when animals start dying, that leads people to become more anxious.

Sensor indicated a wheel bearing was overheating, over 250 degrees above normal. They tried to slow the train down, but there is no info on when the sensor indicated there was a problem, when they tried to slow down, and when the train derailed. Train wasn't speeding.
article said:
As the engineer applied the brakes, an automatic braking system kicked in, according to the report. Investigators found that a wheel bearing was heating up over several miles as the train approached the derailment site, according to data from trackside sensors, but did not reach a critical threshold until shortly before the incident, when it registered 253 degrees above normal.
So, it looks like this will be a live and learn thing and Congress might (won't) require better monitoring. Obviously, avoiding derails is in a RR's interest, but monitoring every car, that has to be pricey.

This took place in a small rural (mostly white) community in the rust belt so there is absolutely nothing for the Democrats to see here.

It also took place due to lack of regulation so there is nothing for the Republicans to see either.

A mushroom cloud of smoke and fire isn't newsworthy so the media will concentrate their efforts on balloon watching in order to further confirm the military swamp congressional budgets.
EastPalestineTrainExplosionWEB.jpg

Waste water from putting out the fires being shipped to Houston?! I know what you are thinking... they must have a special set up there to somehow clean the water.

You'd be wrong (I was too). They are just dumping it in a hole in the ground, well injecting. 1500 or so miles to "dump" in an injection well? Does Ohio have no injection wells? We had all that fracking (and a few quakes due to the injection well(s) for the spoils of the fracking process). If you could dump the highly toxic and likely radioactive fracking fluids (radioactive due to stuff in the ground, not the fracking chems themselves), why can't those wells be used? Or does Ohio have no more injection wells?

Regardless, it is cute that the locals in Texas are throwing up red flags over the wastewater being sent there (NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY). I can't imagine the water is terribly polluted, just polluted enough you can't do anything with it.

And Russia runs smoothly all the time?
Well, smoother than the time when you were running it.
Russia just hides industrial accidents, it's not like they don't have their own doozies. Does Kyshtym ring a bell?
Right, And US is lynching blacks and murders indians. Not to mention slavery thing.
You information is slightly out of date. At least the Americans aren't a bunch of antisemites unlike Russia, going by your logic.

Back
Top Bottom