• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trivial Observation: Skateboarding is predominately male. Why?

laughing dog

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Dogs rule
I have been wondering about this for some time. It seems that skate boarding is predominately a male activity. For example, I live near a college campus which has more women (56%) than men. Yet there are at least 20 male skateboarders for every female skateboarder but rollerblading has about a 2 female to male ratio.

So, I have two general questions.
First, has anyone noticed that skateboarding is predominately a male activity?
Second, does anyone have an explanation as to why?

Skateboarding is difficult and dangerous, even without stunts.

Rollerblading is relatively safe and easy.

Point?
Refer to the OP:
Second, does anyone have an explanation as to why?
It may be one contributing factor to the gap in participation rates.

I'm getting in early before the thread devolves into a bunch of BS about how girls don't skateboard because society tells them they shouldn't.

Aren't males typically drawn toward more aggressive/dangerous activities?

I was watching baseball last night. Corey Kluber struck out 18 in 8 innings. During the course of the game, I was wondering why baseball players spit so much.

Well, as I've learned from this board, whenever there is a disparity between two groups, its because of an oppressor/oppressee dynamic. Its taboo to suggest different groups might, just might, have different interests and tastes. Furthermore, said disparity must be corrected through government laws, money and social engineering. I expect soon there will be posted limits on how many males can be skateboarding at one time, and "empowerment" programs to get more girls into skateboarding. Maybe even a "We need to teach men not to skateboard" campaign.

I don't think this is accurate. The skill required to simply move forward in either needs a minimum of balance and coordination with neither being more difficult. Where they differ is the recreational enjoyment levels of simply moving forward while basic skating. Skate boarding is quite dull and tedious if all you do is go in a straight line or around a rink. Contrast that with the pleasant feeling of movement while rollerblading or bicycling.

IMHO to enjoy skateboarding you either need to identify or desire to belong to the skateboarder subculture or be very good at doing tricks. In order to get "good" at skateboarding you would need to devote considerable time. The same if you wanted to be "good" doing tricks on a bicycle or Rollerblades. Its just that bicycling or rollerblading has a casual beginner range where its fun and no further training or commitment is required.

The sex difference is probably due to women not being as interested in competitive hobbies that require extensive commitment in order to get to the fun part. Or maybe they don't like it because in order to get good you have to take spills which means cuts, bruises and abrasions which women as less tolerant of in their hobbies.

Well, as I've learned from this board, whenever there is a disparity between two groups, its because of an oppressor/oppressee dynamic. Its taboo to suggest different groups might, just might, have different interests and tastes. Furthermore, said disparity must be corrected through government laws, money and social engineering. I expect soon there will be posted limits on how many males can be skateboarding at one time, and "empowerment" programs to get more girls into skateboarding. Maybe even a "We need to teach men not to skateboard" campaign.
Gotta love it

I don't think this is accurate. The skill required to simply move forward in either needs a minimum of balance and coordination with neither being more difficult. Where they differ is the recreational enjoyment levels of simply moving forward while basic skating. Skate boarding is quite dull and tedious if all you do is go in a straight line or around a rink. Contrast that with the pleasant feeling of movement while rollerblading or bicycling.

IMHO to enjoy skateboarding you either need to identify or desire to belong to the skateboarder subculture or be very good at doing tricks. In order to get "good" at skateboarding you would need to devote considerable time. The same if you wanted to be "good" doing tricks on a bicycle or Rollerblades. Its just that bicycling or rollerblading has a casual beginner range where its fun and no further training or commitment is required.

The sex difference is probably due to women not being as interested in competitive hobbies that require extensive commitment in order to get to the fun part. Or maybe they don't like it because in order to get good you have to take spills which means cuts, bruises and abrasions which women as less tolerant of in their hobbies.

I think you hit it on the head, for the most part.

In adolescent and young adult males, status is achieved through physical prowess and risk taking. Skate boards offer the opportunity to combine both into one activity. Of course, it offers an equal opportunity to show up on youtube. All glory is fleeting.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0049168

As Nexus suggested, skateboarding is more like a sport than rollerblading. Men like sports more than women.

edit: and yea.. I'd guess there's a bit of a social thing going on too
I don't think so. But then I loved skateboarding as a kid and also love roller skating. However, our rink had a speed skating team, whereas there was no such equivalent for skateboarding. Eventually in the early 90's the switch was made in inline skates for racing (they are faster). Loved competitive speed skating right up until my youngest kids were born (then simply had no more time). For me, it was the bug that bit me. I loved skating!

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0049168

As Nexus suggested, skateboarding is more like a sport than rollerblading. Men like sports more than women.

edit: and yea.. I'd guess there's a bit of a social thing going on too
I don't think so. But then I loved skateboarding as a kid and also love roller skating. However, our rink had a speed skating team, whereas there was no such equivalent for skateboarding. Eventually in the early 90's the switch was made in inline skates for racing (they are faster). Loved competitive speed skating right up until my youngest kids were born (then simply had no more time). For me, it was the bug that bit me. I loved skating!

And as my still scarred knees will attest, trying to get good at speed skating results in at least as many cuts, bruises and abrasions as skateboarding ever could. I can still hear the sound of skin squealing as it peels off on the rink floor. :D

But speed skating goes back to my point about recreational leisure hobbies verses competitive ones. Lets go back to bicycles to illustrate. If there were only high performance mountain bikes, BMX stunt or road racing bikes you wouldn't have legions of people casually riding bicycles in parks or around town. The only people that skateboard at a low level of performance are mostly guys that want to belong to the skater subculture. Rollorblading doesn't have a subculture nor does casual bike riders but people do it because its still fun and low levels of performance.

Or maybe they don't like it because in order to get good you have to take spills which means cuts, bruises and abrasions which women as less tolerant of in their hobbies.

Pretty much. In their social groups, most women are not praised or earn kudos for scarring themselves up.

I'm thinking the "risk-taker" theory makes the most sense to me and that there are more male "risk takers" than female ones, and that skateboarding feels like risk taking. This ties in with the theory above that skates can be operated by rank novices for enjoyment, whereas being a novice at a skateboard is harder work. Hence skating can be enjoyed with less perceived physical risk and therefore open to BOTH the risk takers and the non-risk takers.

Aren't males typically drawn toward more aggressive/dangerous activities?

I was watching baseball last night. Corey Kluber struck out 18 in 8 innings. During the course of the game, I was wondering why baseball players spit so much.

sesame seeds. Really. for some reason, all ball players munch on sesame seeds all day.. and spit out the husks. I guess chewing tobacco might have been the common thing for some time.. and then fell out of fashion for a healthier option.

sesame seeds. Really. for some reason, all ball players munch on sesame seeds all day.. and spit out the husks. I guess chewing tobacco might have been the common thing for some time.. and then fell out of fashion for a healthier option.

Google says the reason for all the chewing is to minimize drymouth.

Back
Top Bottom