• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump 2024?

Civil war between MAGA, GOP establishment could hand Dems total control | TheHill

Republican 2024 presidential hopefuls already descending on newfound battleground Georgia

Listing such potential candidates as VP Mike Pence, SC Gov UN Amb Nikki Haley, FL Gov Ron DeSantis, SD Gov Kristi Noem, AR Sen Tom Cotton, FL Sens Rick Scott and Marco Rubio, MO Sen Josh Hawley, TX Sen Ted Cruz.

Whether Trump has a sliver of an opportunity to run again depends on his financial and legal affairs over the next couple years. If he does survive that gauntlet, the above list is only about 20% of the Republicans who think they have a shot at the Republican Presidential nomination. Trump will be Reaganized by the GOP, where his name and memory will be held in reverence, but no one will commit to continuing his policies.

Civil war between MAGA, GOP establishment could hand Dems total control | TheHill

Republican 2024 presidential hopefuls already descending on newfound battleground Georgia

Listing such potential candidates as VP Mike Pence, SC Gov UN Amb Nikki Haley, FL Gov Ron DeSantis, SD Gov Kristi Noem, AR Sen Tom Cotton, FL Sens Rick Scott and Marco Rubio, MO Sen Josh Hawley, TX Sen Ted Cruz.

Whether Trump has a sliver of an opportunity to run again depends on his financial and legal affairs over the next couple years. If he does survive that gauntlet, the above list is only about 20% of the Republicans who think they have a shot at the Republican Presidential nomination. Trump will be Reaganized by the GOP, where his name and memory will be held in reverence, but no one will commit to continuing his policies.

To your first point, whether Trump is Reaganized or Nixoned depends on his financial and legal affairs. I expect that Trump will be able to marshal enough lawyers to keep himself out of actual jail, however, I also expect a melt-down of the Trump empire. No bank will ever touch him again, all the loans will come due, and whatever he owes the Russians may very well come out of this hide.

To your first point, whether Trump is Reaganized or Nixoned depends on his financial and legal affairs. I expect that Trump will be able to marshal enough lawyers to keep himself out of actual jail, however, I also expect a melt-down of the Trump empire. No bank will ever touch him again, all the loans will come due, and whatever he owes the Russians may very well come out of this hide.

Meh. As long as he is raking in $100m/month on his email scam, he can pay off his debts including to Putin, and bankroll his 2024 campaign while hanging on to all his properties and retaining an army of lawyers. It's called WINNING. The GOP is suckling at that teat too, so they're not going to give up on him any time soon. The question is when will he run out of suckers and losers he can keep bilking?

Meh. As long as he is raking in $100m/month on his email scam, he can pay off his debts including to Putin, and bankroll his 2024 campaign while hanging on to all his properties and retaining an army of lawyers. It's called WINNING. The GOP is suckling at that teat too, so they're not going to give up on him any time soon. The question is when will he run out of suckers and losers he can keep bilking?
Sure PACs can be abused to a huge degree, but it would be hard to hide paying his LLC debts with 10s of millions of dollars from a PAC. Additionally, I'd guess that the money train will slow greatly by 20 January 2021. Just how bad Clownstick's LLCs financial situation is, I have no freaking clue... His marketing of 'Trump' as a brand to license out is probably almost dead, which is where most of his revenue was coming from what I've read.

Sure PACs can be abused to a huge degree, but it would be hard to hide paying his LLC debts with 10s of millions of dollars from a PAC. Additionally, I'd guess that the money train will slow greatly by 20 January 2021. Just how bad Clownstick's LLCs financial situation is, I have no freaking clue... His marketing of 'Trump' as a brand to license out is probably almost dead, which is where most of his revenue was coming from what I've read.

Mobsters are always running multiple games... but I doubt that he has anything going that is nearly as lucrative as playing victim to his rubes. I'm not so sure they're going to give up on him after he is banished from the White House.

But REgan got Alzheimer's and wasn't a total sociopathic narcissist; also he had a spokeswife who was somewhat respected by Repugs and by her husband.

But REgan got Alzheimer's and wasn't a total sociopathic narcissist; also he had a spokeswife who was somewhat respected by Repugs and by her husband.

I was never a Reagan fan but he got the handle "The Great Communicator." My vote for Trumpy's epitaph is " The Insulter."

Most Republicans, independents believe Trump will run in 2024: poll | TheHill
According to the poll, conducted from Dec. 4-6 among 1,990 registered voters, 76 percent of Republicans polled say that a Trump 2024 run is likely, with 60 percent of independents concurring.

The poll found that just 47 percent of Democratic respondents believed Trump will run again in the next general election year. The survey had a 2 percentage-point margin of error.

Four reasons Donald Trump will likely become a spent force | TheHill
1) A substantial number of Americans who embraced Trump because he advanced their evangelical or economic agenda or because he stuck a finger in the eye of the establishment may stop hanging on every tweet when he relinquishes the platform, prerogatives and power of the presidency. ...

2) Aspirants for the Republican presidential nomination in 2024 are already stirring. A shortlist includes Vice President Pence, Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.), and former South Carolina Governor and United Nations Ambassador Nikki Haley. ...

3) The mountain of litigation Trump faces will very likely result in politically as well as personally damaging revelations about him. ...

4) Legitimate questions have been raised about Trump’s health. ...
Hmmm...

My prediction is that once the Trump brand is no longer an international phenomenon, and people stop letting him put his name on high class hotels, he will buy out a distressed motel chain in the US South, slap some gaudy gold paint on all the "new" Trump Resorts Hotels Motels, and his rubes will flock to them. He will soak them for $100 a night to stay in cockroach infested rooms, but they will lap it up just so they can say they stayed at a Trump property.

My prediction is that once the Trump brand is no longer an international phenomenon, and people stop letting him put his name on high class hotels, he will buy out a distressed motel chain in the US South, slap some gaudy gold paint on all the "new" Trump Resorts Hotels Motels, and his rubes will flock to them. He will soak them for $100 a night to stay in cockroach infested rooms, but they will lap it up just so they can say they stayed at a Trump property.
As well, how far downmarket is Ivanka willing to go to peddle her made-in-China women's clothes and jewels. She could also go into marketing cheap perfume, giving it some "scandalous" brandname.

So what's next for Trump? - Page 2
both parties have for the last 60 years at least been pretty predictable in this regard:
either accidentally stumble into letting someone vaguely different and interesting grab the nomination, or insert the next boring-as-shit bran muffin political appointment who's "turn" it is to get to try to be president.
it seems kind of random which way they go with it, though more often than not it seems the bran muffins get trotted out to go up against incumbents and the vaguely unique ones get sparked after a double term is ending.
my prediction would be the next conservative will be an insider pick that gets trotted out to be the 'responsible' one that will 'make the GOP great again" - what's jeb bush doing these days? or maybe ted cruz.
I then made a list:
  • 1968: Richard Nixon (R): different, Hubert Humphrey (D): bran muffin
  • 1972: Richard Nixon (R): different, George McGovern (D): different
  • 1976: Jimmy Carter (D): different, Jerry Ford (R): bran muffin
  • 1980: Ronald Reagan (R): different, Jimmy Carter (D): different
  • 1984: Ronald Reagan (R): different, Walter Mondale (D): bran muffin
  • 1988: George Bush I (R): bran muffin, Mike Dukakis (D): bran muffin
  • 1992: Bill Clinton (D): different, George Bush I (R): bran muffin
  • 1996: Bill Clinton (D): different, Bob Dole (R): bran muffin
  • 2000: George Bush II (R): different, Al Gore (D): bran muffin
  • 2004: George Bush II (R): different, John Kerry (D): bran muffin
  • 2008: Barack Obama (D): different, John McCain (R): bran muffin
  • 2012: Barack Obama (D): different, Mitt Romney (R): bran muffin
  • 2016: Donald Trump (R): different, Hillary Clinton (D): bran muffin
  • 2020: Joe Biden (D): bran muffin, Donald Trump (R): different
Bran muffins seldom win, so Joe Biden is rather unusual.

I'll now consider the success rate of Presidents who have tried to run for re-election and compare the success of primary challenges.
  • 1972: Richard Nixon 92% won
  • 1976: Jerry Ford: 54% lost
  • 1980: Jimmy Carter: 55% lost
  • 1984: Ronald Reagan: 99.80% won
  • 1992: George Bush I: 68% lost
  • 1996: Bill Clinton: 92% won
  • 2004: George Bush II: 99.20% won
  • 2012: Barack Obama: 95% won
Uncommitted votes ignored. JF was challenged by RR and JC by Teddy Kennedy.

Collecting the numbers:
  • Win: 92% 92% 95% 99.20% 99.80%
  • Lose: 54% 55% 68%
So the Presidents with weaker primary challenges were those that won. Trump is an exception, since his primary challengers this year barely tried.

Trump 'Is the Republican Party,' Pollster Says as President Hoards Campaign Donations
Republican pollster John McLaughlin said President Donald Trump is now effectively the Republican Party as the president continues to bring in campaign donations ahead of the Georgia Senate runoffs on January 5.

His comments come as Trump's new leadership PAC, Save America, is making fundraising appeals and calling on the president's supporters to help Republican Senators Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue win reelection.

But Save America does not appear to be spending on the Georgia Senate elections, according to ABC News, citing ad placement data and campaign disclosures.
So Trump cheats his donors also. Seems like this is how he'll finance his upcoming political career.

Collecting the numbers:
So the Presidents with weaker primary challenges were those that won. Trump is an exception, since his primary challengers this year barely tried.

Trump 'Is the Republican Party,' Pollster Says as President Hoards Campaign Donations
Republican pollster John McLaughlin said President Donald Trump is now effectively the Republican Party as the president continues to bring in campaign donations ahead of the Georgia Senate runoffs on January 5.

His comments come as Trump's new leadership PAC, Save America, is making fundraising appeals and calling on the president's supporters to help Republican Senators Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue win reelection.

But Save America does not appear to be spending on the Georgia Senate elections, according to ABC News, citing ad placement data and campaign disclosures.
So Trump cheats his donors also. Seems like this is how he'll finance his upcoming political media career.

FTFY

Romney: GOP 'has strayed' from what he once knew - POLITICO
Appearing on CNN’s “State of the Union,” the Utah Republican and past GOP presidential nominee said his party has taken a “different course” from its embrace of free trade, concerns about government spending and hawkishness on Russia.

Instead, he said, it has pivoted toward emulating President Donald Trump.

“The party that I knew is one that was very concerned about Russia and [Vladimir] Putin and Kim Jong Un and North Korea, and we pushed back aggressively against them,” Romney said. “We were a party concerned about balancing the budget.”

On Sunday, the Utah senator characterized the GOP he once knew as one that placed importance on the character of its leaders. Now, he said, he represents a small slice of the party.

“We’ve strayed from that. I don't see us returning to that for a long time,” Romney lamented. “As I look at the 2024 [GOP presidential] contenders, most of them are trying to become as much like Donald Trump as they can be.”
He ought to try to organize a faction of the Republican Party to support his positions.

Romney: GOP 'has strayed' from what he once knew - POLITICO
Appearing on CNN’s “State of the Union,” the Utah Republican and past GOP presidential nominee said his party has taken a “different course” from its embrace of free trade, concerns about government spending and hawkishness on Russia.

Instead, he said, it has pivoted toward emulating President Donald Trump.

“The party that I knew is one that was very concerned about Russia and [Vladimir] Putin and Kim Jong Un and North Korea, and we pushed back aggressively against them,” Romney said. “We were a party concerned about balancing the budget.”

On Sunday, the Utah senator characterized the GOP he once knew as one that placed importance on the character of its leaders. Now, he said, he represents a small slice of the party.

“We’ve strayed from that. I don't see us returning to that for a long time,” Romney lamented. “As I look at the 2024 [GOP presidential] contenders, most of them are trying to become as much like Donald Trump as they can be.”
He ought to try to organize a faction of the Republican Party to support his positions.

He ought to do what any creature with a spine ought to do, and leave the Republican Party. This is what Romney always does, he throws out some worthless gesture, but continues to remain in, support, and enjoy the benefits of the party that he claims is betraying every principle for which they stand. There is no line in the sand too far for him, but he's sure gonna let you know how much it pains him every time his party steps over the next line.

Collecting the numbers:

So Trump cheats his donors also. Seems like this is how he'll finance his upcoming political media career.

FTFY
Could be both, but a fake political career can be paid with by campaign donations. If he did a media company... well... he can't he doesn't have the cash. He could appear on OANN, maybe get his name branded on the channel, but that'd be about it.

The new center of Trump's political world: Palm Beach - POLITICO
n anticipation of Trump setting up permanent residence at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach after leaving the White House in January, Trump allies, conservative media firebrands and MAGA-boosting activist groups are setting up the next Trumpy hub of GOP power.

Some Trump supporters have settled in South Florida, drawn by Florida’s friendly tax climate and the state’s current GOP leadership. Other prominent MAGA groups, like the student organizing outfit Turning Point USA, are holding events in the area. And the next Conservative Political Action Conference, the annual gathering of the GOP’s most conservative factions, will even be held a couple hours drive north, in Orlando.

Taken together, the moves will inevitably make the Palm Beach area and Florida ground zero for the MAGA movement, giving Trump convenient access to potential donors and some of his most devoted allies as he plots a potential 2024 comeback bid. Unlike previous presidents, like Barack Obama and George W. Bush, who quietly entered their post-presidency and spent time working on their books or picking up oil painting, Trump is expected to cannonball into his next chapter by keeping a hold on his political base with the help of his family, antagonizing the Biden administration on Twitter, and holding MAGA events. Supporters will continue to flock to Palm Beach, even as it grates on many long-time residents, who see their locale as a quiet enclave above politics and are fighting the president over a permanent move to Mar-a-Lago.
What kind of a career might he have? Would he become a talk-show host? I'm trying to think of something that would keep him visible.

Back
Top Bottom