• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump imposes tariffs on the EU, Mexico and Canada

It mostly hurts your own country and industries when you put a tariff on a product like aluminium, because your factories will be paying higher prices as a result.

Also, link has a paywall.

It mostly hurts your own country and industries when you put a tariff on a product like aluminium, because your factories will be paying higher prices as a result.

Also, link has a paywall.

Open in incognito window.

The trade war has started. Europe, Mexico, and Canada are beginning to implement tariffs on American imports. China is retaliating, too. These are self-imposed economic sanctions on our economy that can only cost lots of people their jobs. Putin must be dancing a little jig every day over the mess that Trump is making.

The Republican-dominated Congress is largely opposed to these tariffs, but Trump holds all of the high ground in an election year. Republican candidates are going to rubber-stamp just about anything he does or just stand aside while he does whatever he pleases. According to polls now, the "blue wave" scheduled for November seems to have crested. Republicans seem on track to retain both houses of Congress and even widen their margin in the Senate. The public may not particularly like Trump, but they aren't going to elect Democrats just because they don't like Trump. Republicans don't want to jinx their rising prospects by getting into a big fight with Trump. Most of them will just bury their heads in the sand and hope that nothing really bad happens before November.

It's funny, really. Back in the 1980s, long before I seriously entertained the idea of actually moving to Australia, I was of the opinion that in the event of a (nuclear) war, Australia would be the best place to be. Then, when I did decide to move to Australia in the mid '90s, it seemed silly to consider the possibility of a global calamity at all - the Cold War was over (and we won), and things were looking up.

And now, I see the global calamity coming towards us, and again, Australia seems to be safely outside anyone's notice down here in the Southern Hemisphere. Of course, the fallout of this calamity will likely be economic rather than radioactive.

And of course, as with every other war (military or trade) in our nation's short history, there is no certainty that our glorious leaders will have the wit to keep us out of it, with our heads down, until it all blows over.

So Trump tariffs raw goods, which costs the US money. Europe, China, Canada tariff products, which costs the US lost business.

Winning!

Funny how all these stupid moves only benefit China and Russia while harming traditional Western relationships.

"We have to believe at some point common sense will prevail." - Justin Trudeau

No, Justin, we don't. At least not until Strange Hairdo is removed from office.

They are being put in place ostensibly for "national security" reasons. Canada a national security threat? Are you fucking kidding me?

And of course the spineless congress lets him get away with it. Why did congress ever give the president these kind of powers in the first place? Time to take it away.

They are being put in place ostensibly for "national security" reasons. Canada a national security threat? Are you fucking kidding me?

And of course the spineless congress lets him get away with it. Why did congress ever give the president these kind of powers in the first place? Time to take it away.

I've been wondering... could a presidential candidate ever win by running on a "limit the power of presidents" platform?
One might think that the more Trump makes it obvious that some such thing needs to be done, the more viable such a platform becomes. But nooooo - not unless a Democrat wins in 2020. Then it might become a Republican talking point for 2024...
No party will condone such a position unless they control both houses of Congress and the President is from the other party. So nothing can ever get ratified unless there are veto-proof majorities in both houses while the presidency belongs to the opposition. Not likely to occur IMHO.

It's funny, really. Back in the 1980s, long before I seriously entertained the idea of actually moving to Australia, I was of the opinion that in the event of a (nuclear) war, Australia would be the best place to be. Then, when I did decide to move to Australia in the mid '90s, it seemed silly to consider the possibility of a global calamity at all - the Cold War was over (and we won), and things were looking up.

And now, I see the global calamity coming towards us, and again, Australia seems to be safely outside anyone's notice down here in the Southern Hemisphere. Of course, the fallout of this calamity will likely be economic rather than radioactive.

And of course, as with every other war (military or trade) in our nation's short history, there is no certainty that our glorious leaders will have the wit to keep us out of it, with our heads down, until it all blows over.

Must be nice... Here in Canada we are squarely between the USA and Russia.... so if they go to war... we get to have missiles falling down on us when they fall short.

It's a real concern. Canada has massed almost her entire population along the border; how can that not be a major military threat?

They'll kill us with politeness.

Trump is meeting personally with a top spy diplomat of North Korea, but not a minute with our allies of whom we are now putting tariffs on. And he wants to end NAFTA as if that'll solve all trade inequities.

Back
Top Bottom