• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump VS COVID-19 Threat

Small caveats: Most money went to friends of banks businesses regardless of whether they were actually 500 employees or less. Almost none went to small business which were minority owned or rural unless rural were large farming operations. Funny. Sarah, the lady from 'laska, was right the only difference between a pig and a republican enacted bill is lipstick.

Not aimed at you Harry Bosch, just removing the innocence from your well directed shot at AOC.

Trump makes false claims that COVID can be spread from ballot drop boxes. WTF will he try to do next?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elections/2020/08/23/trump-biden-live-updates/?hpid=hp_hp-banner-main_election-luf%3Aprime-time%2Fpromo#link-ZNKS3DRPTJHCPCXX2G67PSJVEI

Twitter on Sunday flagged a tweet in which President Trump suggested voters could contract the coronavirus by placing their mail-in ballots in drop boxes, calling his message misleading and in violation of the platform’s rules.
“We placed a public interest notice on this Tweet for violating our Civic Integrity Policy for making misleading health claims that could potentially dissuade people from participation in voting,” the company said in a tweet Sunday afternoon.
It added that Trump’s tweet “will remain on the service given its relevance to ongoing public conversation” and that users “will be able to Retweet with Comment, but not Like, Reply, or Retweet it.”

Is anyone actually stupid enough to believe this bullshit? Maybe I should have posted this in the thread about Trump's attempts to suppress the vote.

Is anyone actually stupid enough to believe this bullshit? Maybe I should have posted this in the thread about Trump's attempts to suppress the vote.
When it comes to politics, there are tens of millions of Americans that'll believe this because he said it.

Trump makes false claims that COVID can be spread from ballot drop boxes. WTF will he try to do next?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elections/2020/08/23/trump-biden-live-updates/?hpid=hp_hp-banner-main_election-luf%3Aprime-time%2Fpromo#link-ZNKS3DRPTJHCPCXX2G67PSJVEI

Twitter on Sunday flagged a tweet in which President Trump suggested voters could contract the coronavirus by placing their mail-in ballots in drop boxes, calling his message misleading and in violation of the platform’s rules.
“We placed a public interest notice on this Tweet for violating our Civic Integrity Policy for making misleading health claims that could potentially dissuade people from participation in voting,” the company said in a tweet Sunday afternoon.
It added that Trump’s tweet “will remain on the service given its relevance to ongoing public conversation” and that users “will be able to Retweet with Comment, but not Like, Reply, or Retweet it.”

Of course ballot drop boxes can spread it--fomite transmission.

So can voting machines, though.

Neither is a serious risk.

Trump's CDC unveils new "Fuggedaboutit" policy on Covid-19 testing.
article said:
In a shift that perplexed some doctors, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has changed its Covid-19 testing guidelines to say some people without symptoms may not need to be tested, even if they've been in close contact with someone known to have the virus.

Previously, the CDC said viral testing was appropriate for people with recent or suspected exposure, even if they were asymptomatic.
Apparently the dropping of new cases is unacceptable.

I read about this too, absent from the article was the reasoning behind the change. In a time when even the once mighty CDC is vulnerable to political pressure from the Trump administration, one has to wonder why.

I read about this too, absent from the article was the reasoning behind the change. In a time when even the once mighty CDC is vulnerable to political pressure from the Trump administration, one has to wonder why.
The only viable reason is to increase the number of cases and the spread of Covid-19.

Yes, that's all I can see at the moment. Testing has never been up to snuff, and contact tracing almost nonexistent, and now it's so widespread tracing is all but useless anyway. I personally don't believe we're actually in a plateau (albeit a very high one) as the plateau started when reporting was diverted from the CDC to the White House. In any case, i expect a pretty big spike in 2 to 3 weeks because of people in school.

Yes, that's all I can see at the moment. Testing has never been up to snuff, and contact tracing almost nonexistent, and now it's so widespread tracing is all but useless anyway. I personally don't believe we're actually in a plateau (albeit a very high one) as the plateau started when reporting was diverted from the CDC to the White House. In any case, i expect a pretty big spike in 2 to 3 weeks because of people in school.
It took, what, 6 weeks after the original premature reopening?

The only viable reason is to increase the number of cases and the spread of Covid-19.

I'm mixed on this.

There is no question that he wants people to ignore Covid-19, live their life normally with no regard for the risk.

Whether he actually seeks more infections to reach herd immunity faster (which looks less and less likely at anything under 100% as we now have confirmed reinfection) or simply doesn't care I'm not sure.

I'm mixed on this.

There is no question that he wants people to ignore Covid-19, live their life normally with no regard for the risk.

Whether he actually seeks more infections to reach herd immunity faster....
Who says he gives a damn about herd immunity? This would be about restricting access to voting.
(which looks less and less likely at anything under 100% as we now have confirmed reinfection) or simply doesn't care I'm not sure.
If he didn't care, he wouldn't do anything. But his policies continually have an appearance that he wants the disease to spread.

So now this just popped up in my reddit feed.

https://www.abc17news.com/politics/national-politics/2020/08/26/cdc-was-pressured-from-the-top-down-to-change-coronavirus-testing-guidance-official-says/

CDC was pressured ‘from the top down’ to change coronavirus testing guidance, official says

A sudden change in federal guidelines on coronavirus testing came this week as a result of pressure from the upper ranks of the Trump administration, a federal health official close to the process tells CNN, and a key White House coronavirus task force member was not part of the meeting when the new guidelines were discussed.

“I am concerned about the interpretation of these recommendations and worried it will give people the incorrect assumption that asymptomatic spread is not of great concern. In fact it is,” he said.

Trump Promotes the Outlandish Claim That COVID-19 Has Killed a 'Minuscule' Number of Americans

Last spring the White House warned that COVID-19 could kill between 1.5 million and 2.2 million Americans with "no intervention." But "with intervention," it said, the death toll would be somewhere between 100,000 and 240,000. "By very vigorously following these [social distancing] guidelines," President Donald Trump declared, "we could save more than 1 million American lives. Think of that: 1 million American lives."

Forget all that, Trump implied today by retweeting a message claiming that the official COVID-19 death toll, currently about 187,000, is off by a factor of 20. "So get this straight," says the summary of an August 29 Gateway Pundit post that was originally tweeted by Trump attorney Jenna Ellis. "Based on the recommendation of doctors [Anthony] Fauci and [Deborah] Birx the US shut down the entire economy based on 9,000 American deaths [due] to the China coronavirus." Trump thus implicitly rebuked his own COVID-19 advisers (and himself) for grossly overstating the danger posed by the disease.

Now Trump, who has offered contradictory messages about COVID-19 throughout the epidemic, has swung to another extreme that is equally at odds with reality. The claim that only 9,000 or so Americans have died from COVID-19 is based on a misinterpretation of newly released data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Andrew Cuomo’s mixed Covid-19 record in New York, explained - Vox - "Cuomo was slow to act on the coronavirus. But once he did, he got most of it right."
Cuomo might seem like an unlikely hero, given that New York suffered the worst Covid-19 outbreak in the US, with only neighboring New Jersey coming close in terms of deaths after accounting for population. Its death toll of more than 32,000 is by far the highest in the country, amounting to more than 18 percent of Covid-19 deaths in the US even though New York only has about 6 percent of the country’s population. New Yorkers recall the sound of sirens echoing on empty streets throughout the spring — a constant reminder of the horror the state was going through.

But it’s also true New York is now doing better than almost any other state at containing the epidemic. It has the third least daily new cases out of any state, with its case count of 3 per 100,000 people coming in at one-third the national average. It has a low test positive rate, a common measure of gauging an outbreak and testing capacity, of less than 1 percent — far below both the recommended maximum (5 percent) and the national average (6 percent).
That's a very good job. I also notice that Trump isn't trying to take credit for it. Like claiming that Gov. Cuomo is only following his superior expertise in dealing with super epidemics.

The Midwest surge in coronavirus cases, explained - Vox - "Most of the Midwest had been spared the worst of Covid-19 — until now."
The coronavirus is always restless, always searching for new people in new places to infect. These days, even as the summer wave fades in the Sun Belt states, several Midwestern states are seeing case numbers rise. They look like the new Covid-19 hot spots.

“The Midwest is taking off,” William Hanage, a Harvard epidemiologist, told me over email. “It’s not going to skyrocket, but there is a clear signal there and it is close to making up for the gains across the Sun Belt.”

Most of that improvement can be explained by falling case numbers in Arizona, California, Florida, and Texas, the summer’s hottest hot spots. But it’s being partially offset by accelerating spread in the Midwest, concentrated primarily in four states: Iowa, Kansas, North Dakota, and South Dakota.
These are largely Republican states, and will Republican politicians get worried?

Back
Top Bottom