• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump VS COVID-19 Threat

Representative Raul Grijalva tests positive for coronavirus after coming in contact with Gohmert.

Gohmert should be brought up on charges. He probably drank from Grijalva's water bottle when he wasn't looking. What a dick move.

Grijalva, who did not name Gohmert, expressed frustration with the reluctance of some lawmakers to wear masks, which can slow the spread of the new coronavirus.

“While I cannot blame anyone directly for this, this week has shown that there are some Members of Congress who fail to take this crisis seriously,” he said. “Numerous Republican members routinely strut around the Capitol without a mask to selfishly make a political statement at the expense of their colleagues, staff, and their families.”

Some folks can't resist a lost cause. Somehow holding defiance, though devoid of any principles whatsoever, is more important than the common good qualifies as patriotism.

Representative Raul Grijalva tests positive for coronavirus after coming in contact with Gohmert.

Gohmert should be brought up on charges. He probably drank from Grijalva's water bottle when he wasn't looking. What a dick move.

Grijalva, who did not name Gohmert, expressed frustration with the reluctance of some lawmakers to wear masks, which can slow the spread of the new coronavirus.

“While I cannot blame anyone directly for this, this week has shown that there are some Members of Congress who fail to take this crisis seriously,” he said. “Numerous Republican members routinely strut around the Capitol without a mask to selfishly make a political statement at the expense of their colleagues, staff, and their families.”

Some folks can't resist a lost cause. Somehow holding defiance, though devoid of any principles whatsoever, is more important than the common good qualifies as patriotism.

“I love my dad and don’t want him to die,” Rep. Gohmert’s daughter says while blaming Trump

Raul Grijalva has three daughters and your father's a fuckhead.

Elections matter.

article said:
Nancy Shively, an Oklahoma teacher, voted for Trump in 2016. Now, amid a heated debate on reopening schools and watching the President’s response to the pandemic, she says she fears for her life.

“It's not just my death warrant I might have signed. There's 150,000 Americans who are dead because of this. And you know, I have to take responsibility for my personal vote that enabled that,” she said.

In essentially all countries around the world including the US, there have been COVID-19 cases, and there have been COVID-19 deaths. We can argue all night about whether the differences in those statistics between other countries and the US can be attributed to things like government controls, citizen freedoms, availability of technologies like air travel, medical systems, etc.

But have there been a wave of evictions in other countries around the world?

In essentially all countries around the world including the US, there have been COVID-19 cases, and there have been COVID-19 deaths. We can argue all night about whether the differences in those statistics between other countries and the US can be attributed to things like government controls, citizen freedoms, availability of technologies like air travel, medical systems, etc.

But have there been a wave of evictions in other countries around the world?
Rentees need their rent income. Which would be a reason for them to support their unemployed renters to get the extra money to pay the rent. . And then you have southern states that provide virtually no unemployment support at all, which is why we need to supplement their poor asses in the first place.

America has been cutting to the bone for a few decades now, and the average American apparently couldn't afford to handle even a couple months of economic stress. Saving money is harder and harder. And when you hardly get any interest anymore, makes it insanely difficult. The GOP has successfully worked at getting people to slit each others throats. Without the minimum wage being liveable helps create the desperation needed for people to work multiple jobs just to get by every month. All so that companies can try to undercut all of the competition.

Rentees need their rent income. Which would be a reason for them to support their unemployed renters to get the extra money to pay the rent. . And then you have southern states that provide virtually no unemployment support at all, which is why we need to supplement their poor asses in the first place.

This is a good point that I think gets lost. A lot of landlords aren't some big corporation or a rich investor.

I'm renting out my townhouse in Seattle because I had to move to SLC for work and plan on moving back in another year or so. I love my house and neighborhood so I've been playing landlord. Luckily I bought the place in 2009 and rents are crazy in Seattle right now so I can make enough money on top of the mortgage to save a bit each month. I saved up enough that I was able to offer my renters a huge discount or ever free rent for up to 2 months but it never had to come to that since they could still work their normal jobs. If I had to go more than 2 months without collecting that rent money, I'd be paying two mortgages and it would be me that was in a tough spot and asking for help. I've been wondering how common my story is right now.

I have to wash my hair.

DeWine gets out of having to meet Trump. Leaves Husted hanging.
The announcement came shortly before DeWine, a Republican, was scheduled to meet with President Donald Trump in Cleveland.
DeWine was tested as part of the "standard protocol" to greet Trump on the tarmac at Burke Lakefront Airport, the governor's office said in a statement. ... "As part of the standard protocol to greet President Trump on the tarmac in Cleveland, I took a COVID test. I tested positive. I have no symptoms at this time. I'm following protocol and will quarantine at home for the next 14 days," he wrote.

Lt. Gov. Jon Husted was also tested for coronavirus Thursday ahead of Trump's visit and tested negative, DeWine's office said.
DeWine is the latest politician to test positive for coronavirus shortly before they were scheduled to meet with Trump. Last week, GOP Rep. Louie Gohmert, who has frequently refused to wear a mask, tested positive for the virus shortly before he was scheduled to fly aboard Air Force One with Trump to Texas. ...

I think Trump is right. We'd definitely be better off if there was less testing.

I have to wash my hair.

DeWine gets out of having to meet Trump. Leaves Husted hanging.
The announcement came shortly before DeWine, a Republican, was scheduled to meet with President Donald Trump in Cleveland.
DeWine was tested as part of the "standard protocol" to greet Trump on the tarmac at Burke Lakefront Airport, the governor's office said in a statement. ... "As part of the standard protocol to greet President Trump on the tarmac in Cleveland, I took a COVID test. I tested positive. I have no symptoms at this time. I'm following protocol and will quarantine at home for the next 14 days," he wrote.

Lt. Gov. Jon Husted was also tested for coronavirus Thursday ahead of Trump's visit and tested negative, DeWine's office said.
DeWine is the latest politician to test positive for coronavirus shortly before they were scheduled to meet with Trump. Last week, GOP Rep. Louie Gohmert, who has frequently refused to wear a mask, tested positive for the virus shortly before he was scheduled to fly aboard Air Force One with Trump to Texas. ...

I think Trump is right. We'd definitely be better off if there was less testing.

Well, cases are way down in Florida (because the hurricane closed testing centers) and California, where there were technical problems with the reporting system. So let's stop testing, and open those schools! And definitely don't test anyone who's going to meet with SCROTUS.

Well, cases are way down in Florida (because the hurricane closed testing centers) and California, where there were technical problems with the reporting system. So let's stop testing, and open those schools! And definitely don't test anyone who's going to meet with SCROTUS.
They had a small number of Covid-19 positives in schools in Florida, but everyone that was in close proximity are hunkering down at home... distance learning now. WINNING!

Errol Louis on Twitter: "New: @NYGovCuomo has issued an extension of NY's moratorium on evictions https://t.co/XmsE3LL7Ty" / Twitter
noting
No. 202.55: Continuing Temporary Suspension and Modification of Laws Relating to the Disaster Emergency | Governor Andrew M. Cuomo

Opinion | Debt, Debt, Goose - The New York Times noting "The face-off in the Senate over a pandemic relief package is tied to a yearslong back-and-forth over the relevance of deficits."
New York Times Opinion on Twitter: ""The enormous increases in the federal budget deficit caused by the coronavirus response have stirred calls for caution about spending too much in another pandemic relief bill," writes @talmonsmith https://t.co/ODwPdN3T6C" / Twitter
Deficit hawks are circling Capitol Hill again, after a period of relative dormancy during rounds of tax cuts and increased military spending. The already enormous increases in the federal budget deficit caused by the coronavirus response have stirred calls for caution about spending too much in another pandemic relief bill.

While some progressives may suspect this recent pivot back to hand-wringing over deficit spending is pure hypocrisy, there is some genuine worry from those who have held a more conservative view of monetary policy, which has had adherents in both major parties.
then
Paul Krugman on Twitter: "Sorry, but I don’t take supposed deficit hawks seriously unless they’re willing to give up something they want. If they’re fine with tax cuts but balk at helping the unemployed, they’re frauds" / Twitter

H. Eric Loewe on Twitter: "@paulkrugman @AOC "We write unlimited blank checks for war, we JUST wrote a 2 trillion dollar check for the GOP tax cut & NOBODY asks those folks how are they gonna pay for it. So my question is why are our pockets only empty when it comes to ...?" - https://t.co/KJZveCQGbf" / Twitter

H. Eric Loewe on Twitter: "@paulkrugman MT
@Marmel "How are you going to pay...?"
@AOC: "No one asks how we're going to pay for the Space Force. No one asked how we paid for a $2 trillion tax cut. We only ask how we pay for it on issues of housing, healthcare and education."
She’s killing it https://t.co/l3Nm73mijA" / Twitter

Keith Laughlin on Twitter: "@paulkrugman Their rediscovered concern about the debt indicates they think Trump will lose and they now oppose any stimulus-type spending that will improve the economy and produce political benefit for a President Biden." / Twitter

jon on Twitter: "@KeithELaughlin @paulkrugman It's the first page of their playbook." / Twitter

Queens Rep. AOC believes McConnell is holding back COVID-19 relief bill in ‘poison pill’ scheme - QNS.com - July 10, a month ago
During a Thursday press conference, Ocasio-Cortez suggested that there should have been multiple stimulus bills at this point in the crisis bring local economies to their knees, but she believes Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is holding additional help up to coerce the Democrats into doing something they may not otherwise favor.

“Right now we’re at the precipice, if we think things are getting hot right now in New York City in terms of crime, the $600 pandemic unemployment assistance is set to expire in about two weeks. That is a ticking time bomb,” Ocasio-Cortez said. “My reading of the tea leaves is that Mitch McConnell is intentionally waiting for pandemic unemployment assistance to expire to increase his leverage with people’s lives.”
Like exemption from liability and addition corporate slush funds.

Murshed Zaheed on Twitter: "So the Trump/Senate Rs are not going to bother with coming to any legislative agreement on COVID stimulus and let people die, lose jobs and be evicted w/ no relief ..." / Twitter
So the Trump/Senate Rs are not going to bother with coming to any legislative agreement on COVID stimulus and let people die, lose jobs and be evicted w/ no relief. It's beyond enraging but shouldn't be a surprise if you have been paying attention to how these ghouls work. Who could have predicted that ghoulish Republicans were not going to care about helping people suffering on Main St once Schumer/Pelosi and all the Democrats coughed up a MASSIVE bailout to Wall St without any real oversight. Who could have predicted Dems not having a lot of leverage now? Well you should keep reading folks like @ddayen. And not all of us are wedded to conventional wisdom in DC either for ie While Trump shreds our Democracy can Democrats rise as a functioning loyal opposition? | by Murshed Zaheed | Medium

Obviously Democrats/Left needs to keep hitting shameless bootlickers like (Republican Senators Susan Collins, Cory Gardner, Joni Ernst, Martha McSally, and Thom Tillis) for exacerbating the unthinkable pain/suffering/death from this pandemic in their states and across the country, but Progressives/Democrats need to also question Pelosi and Schumer for so badly giving away the leverage they had during the first three stimulus package fights around COVID when McConnell/Republicans would have given just about anything for their Wall St. bailout.

Dems should be hitting Senate Rs/Trump for blocking COVID related relief. But, we also have to hold Dem leadership & its establishment enablers accountable if we don't end up securing funding for USPS, vote by mail, and real relief for the economic carnage we are about to face. It's going to be painful from here on out. But, it's not getting any better if Dems continue to accommodate hostage takers/extortionists from the Republican Party. Government funding fight is coming this Sept. They better be ready but I am not gonna hold my breath. On queue - the price we are now paying for Pelosi and Schumer’s reluctance to play hardball during first three Covid stimulus bills. Their reluctance to fight for USPS/vbm paved the way for Trump’s now methodical gutting of USPS.
then
Robert Cruickshank ☂️ on Twitter: "Many of us pleaded with Democratic leaders in Congress this spring to ensure all our big asks got included in the stimulus bill. “Next time,” they said. We knew there wouldn’t be a next time. And here we are." / Twitter

Kimberley Johnson on Twitter: "I’m wondering if congressional Republicans purposely sabotaged a stimulus so Trump can swoop in, save the day and blame Democrats." / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "If it’s not safe enough for indoor dining, what makes it safe enough for indoor schooling?
(...and restaurants actually have soap in the bathrooms)" / Twitter

then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Another reason we need real economic support for families (extended UI, stimulus checks, payment relief, etc) is to make school reopening plans w/ the purpose of maximizing public health, rather than sacrifice peoples’ lives to fuel an economy that doesn’t even value theirs." / Twitter

Pelosi Is Playing Hardball on Coronavirus Relief. She Thinks She’ll Win. - The New York Times
As the clock ticked down Thursday on a self-imposed deadline for a breakthrough in coronavirus relief talks with no deal in sight, Jim Cramer, the brash CNBC host, had an on-air proposal for Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California.

Why not try invoking the memory of the late civil rights icon John Lewis to try to persuade Republicans to agree to help the most vulnerable Americans, including “minorities” struggling to weather a pandemic and a recession?

Ms. Pelosi flashed a forced smile. “Perhaps,” she deadpanned, “you mistook them for somebody who gives a damn for what you just described.”
She isn't backing down in negotiations - she seems convinced that she has some leverage.
“We’re not doing short-term action, because if we do short-term action, they’re not going to do anything else,” she said of Republicans Friday afternoon during an interview in her office, after negotiators blew past their own deadline without a deal. “That’s it — like a sucker punch, you know — ‘Let us just do this little bit,’ and then you know what? We’ll never see them again.”

Instead, Ms. Pelosi is pushing for a sweeping package that includes billions of dollars for state and local governments and schools, food and rental assistance, and additional aid for election security and the Postal Service.

“Up and until now, she has rationally assumed there was some self-interest on the part of Trump that would lead to a deal,” said former Representative Barney Frank, Democrat of Massachusetts, who joined Ms. Pelosi that day at the White House in 2008. “If, in fact, that turns out not to be the case, you have a whole new ballgame to think about.”

“This president is the biggest failure in our history,” she said on Friday. “I can’t think of anybody worse.”

He appears to return the sentiment, referring again to Ms. Pelosi this week as “Crazy Nancy.”

Ms. Pelosi said she also questioned the overall approach of the administration, comparing their negotiating tactics to “Sophie’s Choice,” a film in which a mother must choose which of her children to send to their death.

So White House (not the CDC?) to release an Eightfold Path on the actions (or inactions... wait, is that more Taoist?) to wisely re-open schools (weeks after schools have already begun reopening!!!).

article said:
Counselor to the President Kellyanne Conway previewed the President’s afternoon event on reopening schools, where, she told reporters, he will be announcing new guidance.

“We want them to open soon and safely,” she said during an appearance on Fox News, adding that they will be announcing “eight measures on how to do that.”

She later told reporters that there will be guidance and resources, but decisions will ultimately need to be made at a state and local level.
Most school systems have technically already made these decisions. This is kind of like your stupid Aunt that asked you to help her move out of her apartment, but herself not being there until the van has been unpacked at the new place. 'So, what can I do to help?' (for the record, I have no 'stupid Aunts', my Dad did though)

Back
Top Bottom