• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trump's Immigration Speech

Yeah, there are so many lies in the premises of his fearmongering, especially that immigration and crime are at record levels. The media largely ignore this in their coverage.

Had a talk with one of my bosses today.We both grew up in Oregon and are about the same age.We both picked strawberries in the summer.i picked a lot more things in the summer.You ,know six kids,catholic school cost money,we all had to help out stuff. Migrant farm workers were just part of mix back then.And,so were white migrant families who work the crops. USA kids can not and adults will not do this work.You want cheap food,go pick it yourself.

I'm a USA kid born in Oregon who grew up follpwing dad as he moved from Bonneville site to Bonneville site until he went to Hanford in '55. Worked summers near Kennewick, Walla Walla, Pomeroy, and Milton Freewater. Peas, corn carrots, potatoes, wheat, hay, you name it, were my work in summer. So don't tell me that USA kids can't do it. USA ids can but usually won't do it is apt, as it is for most things immigrants do that USA kids don't do. No crowding out, no displacing, no suffering beyond the pale, just grunt work 12-14 a day at minimum wages.

I didn't have to. I wanted to go to college so I volunteered right through working with swept up and cattle carred street bums from Seattle and Portland on the fire lines in late August and early September.

You want cheap food, bring your kids up to respect labor and sharing with others who are different to desperate.

UP to here in all this chanting about USA kids can't do it.

Had a talk with one of my bosses today.We both grew up in Oregon and are about the same age.We both picked strawberries in the summer.i picked a lot more things in the summer.You ,know six kids,catholic school cost money,we all had to help out stuff. Migrant farm workers were just part of mix back then.And,so were white migrant families who work the crops. USA kids can not and adults will not do this work.You want cheap food,go pick it yourself.

I'm a USA kid born in Oregon who grew up follpwing dad as he moved from Bonneville site to Bonneville site until he went to Hanford in '55. Worked summers near Kennewick, Walla Walla, Pomeroy, and Milton Freewater. Peas, corn carrots, potatoes, wheat, hay, you name it, were my work in summer. So don't tell me that USA kids can't do it. USA ids can but usually won't do it is apt, as it is for most things immigrants do that USA kids don't do. No crowding out, no displacing, no suffering beyond the pale, just grunt work 12-14 a day at minimum wages.

I didn't have to. I wanted to go to college so I volunteered right through working with swept up and cattle carred street bums from Seattle and Portland on the fire lines in late August and early September.

You want cheap food, bring your kids up to respect labor and sharing with others who are different to desperate.

UP to here in all this chanting about USA kids can't do it.

I've been hiring kids (I call them kids, but the bigger the better) to help me with hay every summer for several years, since I decided I could no longer do it all by myself. I have found willing ones, but the best get snapped up quickly and have jobs or careers as soon as they're out of high school. The lesser ones will do it once - too hard. So it's always a struggle to figure out who can help, when the hay is in the field and weather is threatening (as it usually is, at least after first cuts). Considering that this is a small town in a small county that produces kilotons of hay, I find it a little disappointing. I chalk some of it up to the fact that so many kids here - and almost all of the ones skilled in hay-moving - are unavailable; they're on someone's field, moving a lot more hay than I would need in ten years. But the rest of them are so easily discouraged... that's what gets me

It is odd that the we have people who are unemployed and collecting government benefits, and at the same time politicians argue that we need immigrants to do the work Americans won't do. Seems we could solve the problem of unemployment and misuse/depletion of government benefits without immigration. But, yeah, work is hard.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm of the opinion that we are a democracy of free persons who can choose what they will and will not do. So it comes as no surprise that some work for six months then live off that and what the government provides for the other six months, or that some persons prefer to not work at all by choice rather than over supply.

I believe they are entitled to take what is given along with those who are suffering and 'need' assistance for whatever reason. Its the same value of 'charity' I have for those who are addicted for whatever reason. I don't think we citizens have the right to judge others and punish them if they don't measure up to our standards.

Back
Top Bottom