• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Trumpstains trust Trump more than friends or family

Well, from the base camp to the top is an overnight for most people but not that bad.

Uh.... I think you just validated Koy's analogy.
View attachment 19287

The average time from arriving at Base Camp to reaching the summit is 40 days.

If you are prepared to try to make it in one day, you probably WILL have eaten two of your best friends and left three others where they froze to death on the way up.

My point is that looking at the distance is the wrong thing entirely--the problem with Everest is the elevation. And your 40 day number isn't about distance. People wait that long because of acclimatization and the weather, it's not that it takes that long.

You're showing the north approach which is longer. Still, however, looking at your map: From the camp at the bottom of your map to the last camp before things go steep is one very long day, or two moderate days. The last camp shown on your map (where nobody is going to stick around any longer than need be as it's in the death zone--you'll need oxygen) is a moderate day's climb from there. From there to the summit and back is one very long day (which can't be broken up) and another day will see you back to the bottom.

Thus your map is showing at most 5 days. The time isn't due to the climb, it's due to the environment.

Thus your map is showing at most 5 days.

How many people do you know who made it from base camp to summit in 5 days? If any, you know some much tougher people than I ever did! I know a few who died up there, and NONE who ever made it from base camp to summit in five days - including Sherpas.

The time isn't due to the climb, it's due to the environment.

Which again, validates Koy's analogy. Conditions can be a real bitch, no matter what mountain you are trying to climb!

Thus your map is showing at most 5 days.

How many people do you know who made it from base camp to summit in 5 days? If any, you know some much tougher people than I ever did! I know a few who died up there, and NONE who ever made it from base camp to summit in five days - including Sherpas.

The time isn't due to the climb, it's due to the environment.

Which again, validates Koy's analogy. Conditions can be a real bitch, no matter what mountain you are trying to climb!

No--my take on his post is that it's not that big because you start out most of the way there. I'm saying that it's irrelevant where you start out, it's the conditions of that last part that are the important thing.

And MY point--which is the only one that matters, since I was the one making it--is that we haven't even begun to climb the mountain and already people are speaking from a perspective as if we had already climbed it and it was no big deal.

Iow, looking at future conditions through current condition eyes and that is just the wrong way to approach things, much like it would be wrong to speak as if you had already climbed Mt. Everest before you climbed it. Really not that complicated.

No--my take on his post is that it's not that big because you start out most of the way there. I'm saying that it's irrelevant where you start out, it's the conditions of that last part that are the important thing.

Trivial point, and doesn't bear on Koy's assertion. Conditions are bad on mountains, especially on figurative mountains. That's why the figure of speech "mountains" refers to difficult processes to complete.

Back
Top Bottom