• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Tulsa isn’t the only race massacre you were never taught in school. Here are others.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2021/06/01/tulsa-race-massacres-silence-schools/

With President Biden commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Tulsa Race Massacre Tuesday, many Americans are learning for the first time about the nation’s long history of racist rampages, particularly during (but not limited to) the period from the 1870s to the 1920s — considered by many a nadir in the fight for Black civil rights.

This new awareness has prompted calls from many, including musician and activist Common, to learn more about these incidents. On Monday he posted to social media a map of part of the United States with locations and dates of other massacres against Black people. “Pick a massacre and research it!” it read.

List and tweet in the link.

I'm trying to think of a major world culture that doesn't have big ugly events in their past.

Nope.

Can't think of one.

Tom

I'm trying to think of a major world culture that doesn't have big ugly events in their past.

Nope.

Can't think of one.

Tom

So list those. Burying your head in the sand like a belligerent child does not erase the past, or negate its consequences on those now living.

Nope.

Can't think of one.

Tom
I agree.

Furthermore, when you look closely at the Tulsa incident of the OP (and others) these all have the similar structure of one tribe of people being jealous of another more economically powerful tribe. It happened in 1930's Germany when the Jewish people became too rich and successful. It happened during the French Revolution too. It should be noted it wasn't really race by itself but the disparity of wealth that mostly contributed to these horrible examples human interaction.

That these massacres were not taught in school is no surprise either since it has probably more to do with the same reasons video footage of 911 is now being censored from the internet. Our overlords only want us to know what they want us to know.

Nope.

Can't think of one.

Tom
I agree.

Furthermore, when you look closely at the Tulsa incident of the OP (and others) these all have the similar structure of one tribe of people being jealous of another more economically powerful tribe. It happened in 1930's Germany when the Jewish people became too rich and successful. It happened during the French Revolution too. It should be noted it wasn't really race by itself but the disparity of wealth that mostly contributed to these horrible examples human interaction.

That these massacres were not taught in school is no surprise either since it has probably more to do with the same reasons video footage of 911 is now being censored from the internet. Our overlords only want us to know what they want us to know.

White people hating black people for no good reason is American history.

It is still here.

Trump used it to win the presidency.

Nope.

Can't think of one.

Tom

So list those. Burying your head in the sand like a belligerent child does not erase the past, or negate its consequences on those now living.

Yeah. "Everyone does it" is not an excuse for you to do it. If you don't like it, don't turn the fucking wheel.

Nope.

Can't think of one.

Tom

Agreed. Also so fucking what? Given the choice of either living in a country that acknowledges its past or one that tries to hide from it, I know which one I'd prefer.

I agree.

Whatever modest prosperity some blacks in Tulsa may have enjoyed, they lived in a state dominated by whites and largely owned by whites. It is more than a little peculiar to compare the Tulsa massacre with the French Revolution against a land-owning class.

Nope.

Can't think of one.

Tom

Chances are you knew about those before you knew about the ones that happened in your own country. Which is the point of this thread.

On another note, some wonder why black people (namely the thugs killing each other in the streets) don't care about life and property, I mean we've been told for 200 years that we can't have shit and when we're told that we could, whole cities were burned to remind us that we couldn't. White people pass things down to each other from generation to generation, yet some are surprised that disenfranchisement gets passed from generation to generation too. Go figure.

Nope.

Can't think of one.

Tom
I agree.

I think he's saying poverty causes crime.

Nope.

Can't think of one.

Tom
I agree.

I think he's saying poverty causes crime.

I would rather say "the real relationship is complicated, but 'poverty is a cause of crime' is a good approximation".

America's past if full of examples of man's inhumanity to his fellow man, and that includes not only the horrible racist actions towards Black folks or the genocidal actions towards Native Americans. It also includes the harsh, cruel way that Irish immigrants were treated in Boston when they left their native country in the midst of a horrible famine that left their peers starving to death, or the way that immigrants from many other countries were treated when they found themselves arriving in the US. It also includes how some Arabic Americans and Muslim Americans were often judged following 911 and let's not forget the hatred and attacks on Asian Americans following the onset of COVID, as well as how many of them were treated when they arrived on our shores. Plus, the liberal savior FDR locked up Japanese citizens in internment camps during WWII. The list goes on and on and it all should be taught in school so that the younger generations might consider that our far from perfect country sure could use some changes, at least in the way that we treat each other.

And then, look at how women have been treated historically in the US. Women were the last group to receive the right to vote in the US. In many parts of the world, women are still treated like property.

I have recommended Carol Anderson's book, "White Rage" numerous times here for those who want to learn the truth of the history of the US when it comes to racism directed toward Black people. She does an excellent job of describing all of the horrible treatment that Black folks dealt with over the years. This wasn't limited to the South. Racist atrocities happened all over the US.

Maybe it's hopeless. Maybe it's time to admit that our species is very tribal and often hateful towards anyone who is perceived as being outside of our in-group. Whether it's race, ethnicity, religious beliefs, etc. humans have nothing to be proud about when it comes to how we have treated each other since we started walking upright. This isn't just a US problem. It's a human problem and I don't know if it's even possible to change the nature of our species. Looking at all the current hatred and division in the US, as well as many parts of the world, it doesn't seem as if we've made much progress when it comes to treating others as we'd like to be treated ourselves.

Poverty leads to certain types of crimes, that's for sure. The sort of crimes the wealthy would commit differ from that of those in poverty. For example, would a wealthy person commit a home invitation to steal a television? Would a wealthy person steal food/clothing/electronics from Walmart (much less shop in a place like it?). Have you found any reports of millionaires looting during the BLM protest? I mean a lot of them seem to support BLM, at least one out of the thousands should have been caught by now if poverty isn't a factor. As a matter of fact call me when niggas like Bill Epstein Gate, Jeff Moneyman Peso, and Mark Jiveturkeyberg are caught shoplifting or arrested for armed robbery.

Women were the last group to receive the right to vote in the US. In many parts of the world, women are still treated like property.
Almost the last. Yesterday, June 2, happens to be have been the anniversary of the Indian Citizenship Act, which finally gave the vote to the majority of Native Americans in 1924, four years after women's voting rights were acknowledged.

I bring this up as I thought people might be interested in the chronological coincidence, not to criticize your posting! It's embarassing, in both cases, that all women and most Native peoples were obliged to wait until the 1920s for suffrage. I wonder whether our descendants will one day look at the currently withheld suffrage of current/former prisoners and guest workers in the same critical light. It's not an entirely unrelated issue, as about 1/6 of African-American men are currently disenfranchised on the basis of their legal history, and the abuses that enter so many Black men into the penal system unfairly and at an early age are becoming much more well known than they used to be. Consider that after the Tulsa Massacre, dozens of Black men were arrested and imprisoned... for defending their own property against a violent mob. They weren't exonerated until 2007, at which point all of those affected had died years before.

Maybe it's hopeless. Maybe it's time to admit that our species is very tribal and often hateful towards anyone who is perceived as being outside of our in-group. Whether it's race, ethnicity, religious beliefs, etc. humans have nothing to be proud about when it comes to how we have treated each other since we started walking upright. This isn't just a US problem. It's a human problem and I don't know if it's even possible to change the nature of our species. Looking at all the current hatred and division in the US, as well as many parts of the world, it doesn't seem as if we've made much progress when it comes to treating others as we'd like to be treated ourselves.
I believe that you if you acknowledge a moral wrong, especially a social wrong that you participate in on some level, you have a corresponding responsibilty to try and correct that wrong, whether hopefully or otherwise. This may be why I am sometimes described as "dour" or "pretentious".

Poverty leads to certain types of crimes, that's for sure. The sort of crimes the wealthy would commit differ from that of those in poverty. For example, would a wealthy person commit a home invitation to steal a television? Would a wealthy person steal food/clothing/electronics from Walmart (much less shop in a place like it?). Have you found any reports of millionaires looting during the BLM protest? I mean a lot of them seem to support BLM, at least one out of the thousands should have been caught by now if poverty isn't a factor. As a matter of fact call me when niggas like Bill Epstein Gate, Jeff Moneyman Peso, and Mark Jiveturkeyberg are caught shoplifting or arrested for armed robbery.

Home invasions are almost always targeted against those expected to have considerable portable wealth--generally criminals with cash or drugs.

I learned about the Tulsa Massacre in school. Plus several others such as the one in Rosewood, Florida.

Apparently school has just been getting worse.

Heh. The kinds of stealing people like Bill, Jeff and Mark engage in is generally legal. Or legal-ish. People like them fund the legislators who write legislation and tax codes and zoning ordinances, etc. if they don’t actually write the laws themselves.

This story was posted by Rocky Mountain Mike on Facebook. I asked his for permission to post it here.

I grew up near Tulsa in the suburb of Sand Springs, Oklahoma. I had only fleetingly heard of the Tulsa race "riot" (as it was called in those days), an unspeakable tragedy brought on by murderous white racists in Tulsa 100 years ago.
A fellow I grew up with became the Editor in Chief of the local paper in my home town, the Sand Springs Leader. Rodney Echohawk tells the story below about how our town's founder, Charles Page, was not the oil tycoon that would satisfy the stereotype of most people who owned that title in the 20th century. Here are Rodney's words:
Friends, if you've ever read anything I've posted, I hope you will read the following unpublished story I've written about a little known but shining chapter in the history of Sand Springs. Ever since my grandfather, a farmer in Inola, returned from Tulsa in 1921 with his account of seeing black bodies floating in the Arkansas River, I have been haunted by what was then known as the Tulsa Race Riot. I was also curious what happened at that time in Sand Springs in relation to those events. While working for the SS Leader I wrote a story about it in 1996. The following story updates and expands that information. The accompanying photos of philanthropist Charles Page and a Home truck loaded with provisions from the early 1920's illustrate how Sand Springs regularly helped those in need. Also shown is SS educator Nathaniel Washington, wearing glasses, whose writings are cited.
A century ago in Tulsa, Oklahoma death, flames and hatred fueled what is believed to be the largest outbreak of racial violence in American history.
Whether the events of May 31 to June 1, 1921 are called the Tulsa Race Riot, the Tulsa Disaster or the Tulsa Race Massacre, the numbers paint a grim picture of what transpired. As many as 300 black and white residents were killed, 763 injured and over 35 city blocks were incinerated.
Numerous books, articles, documentaries, observances and investigations have recounted the story in recent years. But one little known chapter in the series of events was the role played by the community nearest the violent eruption - Sand Springs.
Located just seven miles west of downtown Tulsa, Sand Springs was a thriving industrial town of 4000 on the north side of the Arkansas River. The city was founded by Charles Page, a Wisconsin native who came to Tulsa to pursue opportunities in oil and land.
Page succeeded in amassing a fortune and invested it in building Sand Springs, which incorporated in 1912. Unlike many of his fellow entrepreneurs, Page also invested his fortune in people less fortunate.
He established a residence for orphans called the Sand Springs Home and later started a village for women with children who had lost their husbands called the Widows' Colony. He also built a farm and other enterprises to provide goods and work opportunities for those in his care.
Page hired B.F. "Cap" Breeding to serve as superintent of the Sand Springs Home and also help administer his charities.
"They worked very closely together and were very loyal to one another," said Margaret Breeding Petrik, the daughter of Cap Breeding, in a 1996 interview.
In 1911 Page built an interurban trolley line between Tulsa and Sand Springs and by the early 1920's the "Line" was an indispensable transportation artery.
Not long after the first shots rang out in the Tulsa Race Massacre, the Ku Klux Klan cut telephone and telegraph lines and shut down roads according to Tulsa historian Ed Wheeler, who disclosed one route remained open - the trolley line.
"The sheriff sent a deputy to Sand Springs on the railway (trolley), the only thing the mob left working," Wheeler pointed out. "The Klan had put up roadblocks leading out of town, but the trolley was allowed to keep running. The deputy telegraphed Governor J.B.A. Robertson from Sand Springs asking for help."
Shooting began around 10 p.m. Tuesday evening and the plea for National Guard assistance was complete by 2 a.m. Wednesday. By 9:30 a.m. the Guardsmen arrived by train in Tulsa from Oklahoma City.
But by that time much of the black owned businesses and homes north of Archer street in the Greenwood district were being looted and set ablaze.
"I remember seeing the smoke of Greenwood burning," said Margaret Breeding Petrik. Her family lived in Medio located on the trolley line between Sand Springs and Tulsa.
The violence in downtown Tulsa almost spilled over into Sand Springs and threatened that town's black community.
A June 3, 1921 article in the Sand Springs Leader newspaper reported "On Wednesday morning shortly after 8 o'clock, an automobile load of armed young men appeared on the streets of Sand Springs."
The article goes on to state Police Chief Wabble and a special police patrol of six men were on duty Tuesday night and Wednesday to insure what took place in Tulsa would not happen in Sand Springs.
But the killing and destruction in Tulsa sent refugees fleeing in all directions.
Charles Page biographer Opal Clark wrote "Blacks fled with nothing but what they had on their backs. Some were in their gowns and barefoot. Families were separated from each other as they headed for the woods of the Mohawk Park area."
Wheeler disclosed many white families in Tulsa sheltered black individuals and families, especially those who were employed by them. Many who remained in Tulsa were aided by the efforts of the American Red Cross.
He also reported many of the thousands of refugees headed north, adding that those fleeing often were told to turn around when they reached other towns. But Sand Springs was a different story, as Clark pointed out in her biography of Page "A Fool's Enterprise".
She said trolley conductor Edgar Stevens had photographed the destruction along Archer Street that Wednesday morning and showed the pictures to Page, who wasted no time taking action.
Two days after the National Guardsmen arrived and martial law had been declared in Tulsa, an emergency meeting was called at the Sand Springs municipal building by Mayor L.C. Heinz.
The Leader newspaper article of June 3 reported "The gathering was called together by Mayor Heinz who declared relief work urgently was needed and asked the citizens assembled to help..."
The article details how committees were formed to oversee the "collection and distribution of food and clothing for the refugees sent here." E.M. Monsell was selected as treasurer for the charitable efforts.
Page arrived after the meeting began and was quoted in the article saying "Tell 'em to start the floor mill running. I'll feed all of them that are here. They can get ice and beef and such things from Sand Springs Home and we've plenty of lumber to up sleeping and living quarters if necessary."
The article reported the Friday meeting was called at 1 p.m. and within an hour cars were crisscrossing town collecting provisions which were then taken to the Sand Springs railway building.
The Sand Springs School Board and local women's club were cited for providing additional help and contributions.
Sand Springs' black community on the "South Side" opened their homes to numerous refugees. Meals to feed the homeless were prepared at the Sand Springs Booker T. Washington school.
Clark pointed out in her book that Page wanted to do more for those fleeing the conflagration and death in Tulsa. "Cap, we've got to help those poor homeless people." she quoted Page telling Breeding.
She wrote Page knew helping the black victims of the Tulsa Race Massacre could put his children at the Home and the mothers and their families at the Widows' Colony in jeopardy, particularly from the Ku Klux Klan.
In order to avoid retaliation, Page had Breeding arrange for a former black employee of the Home to arrange emergency assistance on his behalf.
Bessie Zackery, a longtime educator and member of Sand Springs' black community since the 1920's, recalled in a 1996 interview what Page's efforts meant to those fleeing Tulsa.
"I heard that some of them caught the Sand Springs streetcar and got shelter at the Sand Springs Park. And Mr. Page gave them food and shelter," she said.
The consideration Page gave the refugees of the Tulsa Race Massacre was not out of character for him, as black Sand Springs historian Nathaniel Washington observed in his 1978 book "The Historical Development of Booker T. Washington School".
The author relates when carpenter Charles Madison came to Oklahoma from Texas looking for work, Page hired him and several of his older children. But Madison realized the nearest black school for his younger children was in Tulsa.
Madison went to Page and told him he would have to move from Sand Springs so his younger children could attend a black school. Page's solution was unexpected in the era of "separate but equal" education in America.
"Mr. Page advised him to remain in his employment, then arranged for his two children Frankie Lucille and Lester, to attend a private school which he has established for the white children of Widow's Row and the Sand Springs Orphaned Home."
So for the 1911-1912 school year, 44 years before the first public school in Oklahoma integrated, the Sand Springs Home school saw white and black students learning together.
Many years later Frankie Lucille Horn told Washington in an interview that things went very well for her and her brother, that they were treated fairly and taught just the same as the white students.
The brutality unleashed in what black Tulsa newspaper publisher A.J. Smiththerman called "The Tulsa Race Riot and Massacre" was a shame hidden for years. But with its centennial the full impact of those events can no longer be overlooked.
Also worthy of re-examination are the unselfish efforts by those who helped the victims of what is likely the worst racial upheaval in American history.

I learned about the Tulsa Massacre in school. Plus several others such as the one in Rosewood, Florida.

Apparently school has just been getting worse.

I attended grade- and high-school in a relatively affluent school district in Northern California in the late 1950's and early 1960's. The district was respected; its teachers and students frequently won awards. But the history classes were awful.

If my recollection is correct we had World History in 3rd, 6th and 9th grades; California history in 4th and 7th grades; U.S. history in 5th, 8th, 11th grades. History was taught in chronological order and, whatever the planned curriculum, we seldom made it to the 20th century! California history always seemed to emphasize Father Junipero Serra's missions: I don't recall actually being required to memorize the names of all 20-plus missions, but there was never any mention of Serra's inhumane practices against the Natives.

I do recall the 8th-grade U.S. history teacher (an ex-Marine) saying that comparing U.S. and Soviet misadventures was off-limits: that would be comparing good and evil.

(As I've mentioned before, there seemed to be zero blacks in that district in all those years: Real estate was "red-lined.")

I didn't study history in college; what little I know has been picked up reading or on message-boards. I first heard of the Tulsa massacre a few years ago on another message-board.

Back
Top Bottom