• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Twitter likely to take idiots offer to buy them for $43 billion

Knowing the language and knowing the architecture are quite different.
Finally, someone who gets it.

My presumption is that hardly anyone in the field knows the architecture as it's forever evolving, what they do have is the ability to adjust & find what's needed to complete tasks. For the really knowledgeable folks it would likely take them half a year to become effective in Twitter security/architecture. That's my wild guess. It's like saying a car mechanic who's been working on cars learned nothing from working on many different cars over 20 years and when one never seen before like a 2021 Rolls-Royce Ghost rolls onto their lot, they forget what parts an engine needs to run. :LOL:

The mechanic has a good idea of where and what to look for. Might have to learn new things specific to Rolls but that mechanic after a slow start will get acquainted fairly fast.
Knowing the architecture is what allows you to fix a problem without breaking something else. Car repair isn’t a good analogy.
Experience makes the getting to knowing part easier because the mechanic knows not all cars are exactly the same yet they know all the components that makes an engine work. . Would sexual intercourse be a better analogy for you? Pick your poison.
Cars are far simpler because they all follow the same basic concepts and most functions are pretty much isolated from each other other than by the obvious mechanisms. That's a dream world compared to something like Twitter because so many things have to be tied to so many other things. You could make a Twitter-lite that was pretty much independent as a car is, but it would have terrible performance.

Even cars are becoming less and less isolated these days with all the computer systems.

Twitter bug prevents people from being able to link to other sites....

Ok, is it a bug, or is this the muskrat's idea to prevent people from visiting other sites? If it is a bug, is there anyone left that can fix the issue?

Twitter bug prevents people from being able to link to other sites....

Ok, is it a bug, or is this the muskrat's idea to prevent people from visiting other sites? If it is a bug, is there anyone left that can fix the issue?

Nothing to see here, move along.
They fixed it, apparently. Nothing new here.

Twitter insiders have told the BBC that the company is no longer able to protect users from trolling, state-co-ordinated disinformation and child sexual exploitation, following lay-offs and changes under owner Elon Musk.
Exclusive academic data plus testimony from Twitter users backs up their allegations, suggesting hate is thriving under Mr Musk's leadership, with trolls emboldened, harassment intensifying and a spike in accounts following misogynistic and abusive profiles.
Current and former employees of the company tell BBC Panorama that features intended to protect Twitter users from trolling and harassment are proving difficult to maintain, amid what they describe as a chaotic working environment in which Mr Musk is shadowed by bodyguards at all times. I've spoken to dozens, with several going on the record for the first time.

A Twitter employee has appealed to Elon Musk on the platform to ask whether he had been sacked.
In a tweet to the firm's chief executive, Halli Thorleifsson said: "Your head of HR is not able to confirm if I am employed or not".
Mr Musk responded by asking: "What work have you been doing?"
Mr Thorleifsson told the BBC that nine days after being frozen out of Twitter's accounts he did not know whether he had been fired or not.
After a series of follow up questions and answers with Mr Musk, that read like a live interview for his job, Mr Thorleifsson said he received an email confirming that he had been sacked.
Twitter did not immediately respond to the BBC's request for comment.

Mr Thorleifsson, 45, was a senior director in product design for Twitter. He told the BBC the ambiguity around his job was "strange" and "extremely stressful".
"I opened my computer on Sunday morning nine days ago and saw that the screen was grey and locked, indicating that I had been locked out of my Twitter accounts", he said.

A Twitter employee has appealed to Elon Musk on the platform to ask whether he had been sacked.
In a tweet to the firm's chief executive, Halli Thorleifsson said: "Your head of HR is not able to confirm if I am employed or not".
Mr Musk responded by asking: "What work have you been doing?"
Mr Thorleifsson told the BBC that nine days after being frozen out of Twitter's accounts he did not know whether he had been fired or not.
After a series of follow up questions and answers with Mr Musk, that read like a live interview for his job, Mr Thorleifsson said he received an email confirming that he had been sacked.
Twitter did not immediately respond to the BBC's request for comment.

Mr Thorleifsson, 45, was a senior director in product design for Twitter. He told the BBC the ambiguity around his job was "strange" and "extremely stressful".
"I opened my computer on Sunday morning nine days ago and saw that the screen was grey and locked, indicating that I had been locked out of my Twitter accounts", he said.

He should have waited for something in writing and gone into Costanza mode.

A twitter thread with screenshots of the exchange berween Musk and the guy above.

Someone should start a twitter poll to make Haraldur Thorleifsson the next CEO of Twitter.

LOL, also today: Musk has to hire more moderation staff if he wants to keep Twitter running in the EU beyond 2024:

This is the best comment from Muskrat. And it only took $44 billion to learn this lesson
Lesson.png

Well Halli is making a lot more sense to me than Haiti.

I do like his "what I was told" blame it on others line.

This is the best comment from Muskrat. And it only took $44 billion to learn this lesson
View attachment 42504
Read more into this. Musk comes across as a fucking idiot manager that doesn't realize that overhead exists and you can't eliminate it all. If Musk were a military General, he'd have fired the cooks and logistics staff because they weren't on the front lines.

Over-hiring thousands of employees who do fake work.
Rabois was full of praise for Twitter CEO Elon Musk, who is estimated to have cut roughly half of the social-media company's workforce a month after taking charge in October.

"People are watching Elon and Twitter and he's clearly setting an example — maybe it's an extreme example," Rabois said, adding later that he wouldn't bet against the Tesla mogul.

Not everyone agrees with Musk's methods, and his drastic cuts have occasionally come back to bite him. Twitter has experienced safety and security issues since Musk took over, including a major outage earlier this week. He is also under fire for trolling laid-off Twitter employee Haraldur Thorleifsson and accusing him of using his disability as an "excuse" not to do work — the Twitter CEO has since apologized for his comments and said that Thorleifsson "is considering remaining at Twitter."

Why did so many people in Silicon Valley get shitcanned?
They didn't actually have jobs to begin with. They were made up bullshit jobs. They were hired because, "Look at us grow". They were hired so others could not hire them.
Must be nice to have so much cash lying about you hire people just so the other guy can't have them.

I should have started my career at the bullshit job title generator. I could have been an Interaction Optimization Strategist or perhaps a Lead Paradigm Administrator.

Twitter has been a disaster since Elon Musk bought the company last fall: Advertising dollars vanished, the site breaks all the time, and it’s now explicitly a home for the worst people on Earth.

And there’s no reason to think any of this will change as long as Musk owns the thing. Because Musk = Twitter. Full stop.

Fine. What about Tesla, the EV company that made Musk wealthy enough to buy Twitter in the first place? That company has also been tightly linked to Musk’s persona, and it seems like it’s doing just fine: Tesla says the last three months of 2022 were its best quarter ever. We should get another update from the company in April.

So here’s an open question: Will Musk’s behavior on Twitter, and as Twitter owner, ever have an effect on Tesla?

If you have followed the Musk Twitter saga carefully, you’re well aware of Musk’s penchant for saying and doing things you might find repellent. This month, for instance, he publicly mocked a fired employee for his disability. The only real surprise about that incident was that Musk ended up apologizing for it, calling it a “misunderstanding.” A few days later, Musk started tweeting his support for Jacob Chansley, the “QAnon Shaman” who participated in the January 6 riot and who is in jail after reaching a plea deal with federal prosecutors.

But people on Twitter spend a lot of time thinking and talking about Twitter. Most people don’t use Twitter. Do they know or care about what Musk is doing there — and if so, will it change their opinion about owning a Tesla?

Some data suggests it could already be happening.

For starters, Tesla is no longer the only game in town when it comes to EVs. Plenty of automakers now compete in the market, and they seem to be making headway. A year ago, for instance, 17 percent of potential EV buyers told surveyors at YouGov that their first choice was a Tesla — more than any other brand. Now that number has dropped to 9 percent, outpaced by both Toyota and BMW.

From 15 April only verified subscribers will have posts recommended to other users and be allowed to vote in polls.
Under the policy, posts from non-paying accounts will not be included in the "For you" stream of recommended tweets.
Last week, the firm said it would remove the verified status of some "legacy" accounts, which date from before Mr Musk bought the firm.
Users currently pay $7 (£5.70) a month for blue-tick verification, which also allows access to additional features.
Mr Musk said the changes were "the only realistic way to address advanced AI bot swarms taking over. It is otherwise a hopeless losing battle."

"Voting in polls will require verification for same reason," he added.
In an earlier post, Mr Musk said paid verification significantly increases the cost of using bots and makes it easier to identify them.

Twitter was never recommending me (or almost any other user) in the first place. I suppose the down fall here, however, not being able to vote in polls. I am never going to pay a fee to vote in polls. But do companies want their customers to have to pay someone else to vote in a Twitter Poll. Are Twitter Polls even a thing?

Reminds me of Charlie Sheen's I'm Melting Down tour... and people liking to watch something like that... but not having to pay to watch it. I can't imagine anyone would pay to vote in a Twitter Poll.

Back
Top Bottom