• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Twitter likely to take idiots offer to buy them for $43 billion

Musk discovered the top talent isn't just going to follow him. If the best engineers want to live and work in Southern California, who they work for is a secondary consideration.

That's what I figure happened.

Family and roots issues aside, if I had the marketable skills and credentials to live a comfortable life in California I would never trade that for life in Texas.

I've enjoyed my visits to Texas. It's a great place. But live there?
Because my boss gets better treatment from the other super rich dudes?
Nah.
Won't happen.
Tom

Between Amazon, Yahoo, Zoom etc, at least 150k laid off. Sure Deere, Caterpillar etc will absorb some but it’s just not going to be anywhere near the numbers shed in Silicon Valley.
A large % of those people aren’t tech workers; they just work for a tech company. Twitter fired actual, competent tech workers, who aren’t having trouble finding jobs. In fact, Google, Meta, etc. are hiring some of them.

Sure, there was also a purge of non techs but there was a large number of actual techs let go, including the poor saps in H-1B visas who are going to find it a little bit tricky to get hired elsewhere due to the nature of how work visas are transferred. As far as Google and Meta hiring ex Twitter techs, good for them. I actually thought some of these companies had hiring freezes but happy enough if that is no longer the case. (y)

If I had a choice there is no way I'd choose Texass over So. California. Not going to live in Dumbfuskistan.

Of course while So.Cal. is nice enough and I've been there many time for business, I prefer New England where we get snow, nor'easter, hurricanes vs drought, earthquakes, mud slides and wild fires.

Something I'm seeing now in Twitter: longer tweets, tweets more than 280 characters long. I haven't tried to count how long they get, but I've noticed that only blue-checked people have long tweets. My own tweets are limited to 280 characters, and I'm not blue-checked.

Between Amazon, Yahoo, Zoom etc, at least 150k laid off. Sure Deere, Caterpillar etc will absorb some but it’s just not going to be anywhere near the numbers shed in Silicon Valley.
A large % of those people aren’t tech workers; they just work for a tech company. Twitter fired actual, competent tech workers, who aren’t having trouble finding jobs. In fact, Google, Meta, etc. are hiring some of them.

Sure, there was also a purge of non techs but there was a large number of actual techs let go, including the poor saps in H-1B visas who are going to find it a little bit tricky to get hired elsewhere due to the nature of how work visas are transferred. As far as Google and Meta hiring ex Twitter techs, good for them. I actually thought some of these companies had hiring freezes but happy enough if that is no longer the case. (y)
Hiring freezes actually happen with entities such as government agencies and companies in mature industries that are seeing their market degrade. If a tech company needs a tech person who can do X, they hire someone who can do X.

Isn't Texas 80% of roads to nowhere and the rest of it two major Cities where normal humans live?

Hiring freezes actually happen with entities such as government agencies and companies in mature industries that are seeing their market degrade. If a tech company needs a tech person who can do X, they hire someone who can do X.

Is there any purpose to your response other than just get your post count up or waste bandwidth?

Is there any purpose to your response other than just get your post count up or waste bandwidth?

Woah woah woah! Don't give people ideas. That's my exceedingly lucrative job. ;)

Apparently it annoyed you, so that's a plus. But it was obviously a direct reply to your belief that 1) the tech companies are operating under hiring freezes, and 2) a hiring freeze at such a company would carry any weight. Do you believe in the Easter Bunny too?

Apparently it annoyed you, so that's a plus.
You flatter yourself.
But it was obviously a direct reply to your belief that 1) the tech companies are operating under hiring freezes, and 2) a hiring freeze at such a company would carry any weight. Do you believe in the Easter Bunny too?

I said thought there was a hiring freeze. It's in bold. And some companies did have hiring freezes, including Google and some companies may still have hiring freezes. So again, other than getting your post count up and/or wasting bandwidth, do you have an actual point? otherwise, I'm tapping out.

Apparently it annoyed you, so that's a plus.
You flatter yourself.
But it was obviously a direct reply to your belief that 1) the tech companies are operating under hiring freezes, and 2) a hiring freeze at such a company would carry any weight. Do you believe in the Easter Bunny too?

I said thought there was a hiring freeze. It's in bold. And some companies did have hiring freezes, including Google and some companies may still have hiring freezes.
LOL. Shall I explain hiring freezes to you again?

Perhaps, but's Twitter is running fine.
Basically, the Chief Twit got rid of pretty much all of the maintenance staff. Things will run fine for a while. Maybe they'll degrade over time, maybe they'll come to a screeching halt when a high-severity flaw is discovered somewhere in the software stack.

Basically, the Chief Twit got rid of pretty much all of the maintenance staff. Things will run fine for a while. Maybe they'll degrade over time, maybe they'll come to a screeching halt when a high-severity flaw is discovered somewhere in the software stack.
Nah, the guy running Space X, Starlink and self driving cars surely has access to resources to make certain security is up to snuff. Hell I just work on accounting in the plumbing industry and made enough friends to keep my house on the up and up and I make under 40k a year. I can't imagine what the x richest man on earth could do.

Nah, the guy running Space X, Starlink and self driving cars surely has access to resources to make certain security is up to snuff. Hell I just work on accounting in the plumbing industry and made enough friends to keep my house on the up and up and I make under 40k a year. I can't imagine what the x richest man on earth could do.
He's gotten rid of most everybody that knows how it works. Anybody brought in to fix it will first have to figure out what they're fixing.

He's gotten rid of most everybody that knows how it works. Anybody brought in to fix it will first have to figure out what they're fixing.

Huh? There are only but so many programing languages out there though. :unsure:

Isn't Texas 80% of roads to nowhere and the rest of it two major Cities where normal humans live?
"Steers and queers."

Occasionally "queer steers".

Back
Top Bottom