• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

U.S. CPAC Conferences In Hungary

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
April 5 (Reuters) - America’s most prominent conservative gathering, founded on ideals of personal liberty and limited government, convenes in Budapest next month to celebrate a European leader accused of undermining democracy and individual rights.

The May meeting of the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) is seen by some Republicans as a test of how closely American conservatives are willing align themselves with a global movement of far-right, Russia-friendly strongmen embraced by former U.S. President Donald Trump.

The event’s keynote speaker is Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, a longtime supporter of Russian President Vladimir Putin. The European Union has accused Orban, who won re-election by a large margin on Sunday, of curbing media and judicial independence, enriching associates with public funds and recasting election laws to entrench his power.
The Hungary meeting reflects a years-long push by CPAC’s organizers, the American Conservative Union (ACU), to promote Trump’s divisive brand of nationalist populism to foreign audiences. Last fall, a similar CPAC-branded meeting was held in Brazil, spotlighting Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, a far-right leader and Putin admirer.

A Trump spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment. An Orban spokesperson called the EU's criticism of him “politically-ideologically based” and part of a long-running “provocation campaign and witch hunt” by liberal elites.

The Hungary gathering spotlights an emerging split among Republicans. While some have grown more tolerant of Putin and other foreign leaders with authoritarian tendencies, others are alarmed at the association.

The Hungarian leader, Viktor Orbán, has told a conference of US conservatives that the path to power required having their own media outlets, calling for shows like Tucker Carlson’s to be broadcast “24/7”.

Orbán, recently elected to a fourth term, laid out a 12-point blueprint to achieving and consolidating power to a special meeting of the US Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), under the slogan of “God, Homeland, Family”, held in Budapest.

The Hungarian prime minister said that with his fourth electoral victory on 3 April, Hungary had been “completely healed” of “progressive dominance”. He suggested it was time for the right to join forces.

“We have to take back the institutions in Washington and Brussels. We must find allies in one another and coordinate the movements of our troops,” Orbán said.

He told Republicans in the Balnaconference centre on the banks of the Danube that media influence was one of the keys to success. In Hungary, the prime minister and his allies have effective control of most media outlets in Hungary, including state TV.

“Have your own media. It’s the only way to point out the insanity of the progressive left,” he said. “The problem is that the western media is adjusted to the leftist viewpoint. Those who taught reporters in universities already had progressive leftist principles.”

They probably got a good deal on hotels and caterers.

Republicans support Trump a wannabe Putin. That says it all.

Orban isn't wrong. If America had state-owned TV channels airing Tucker Carlson 24/7, Trump would still be president.

A fascist by any other name would smell as foul.

These people might be able to kid themselves that they are merely ‘Conservative’, but they’re not kidding me.
You aren't the audience... and their audience stateside is drooling. Conservatives stopped by political a while ago, but this fascist turn is relatively newish and almost completely committed.

I mean...can you imagine if the DNC had their annual convention in Havana, and had high-ranking communist party officials as speakers?

I mean...can you imagine if the DNC had their annual convention in Havana, and had high-ranking communist party officials as speakers?
Or Joe Biden or Hillary Clinton? The things they say regarding the moderates/conservative-moderates is insane!

What if Obama used steak sauce or wore a tan suit or used a teleprompter?

President Clinton was a centrist and they attacked him like he was the devil. And now, these people have shifted to a complete and full embrace of fascism.

At least they aren't pretending to be pro-democratic anymore. If they want us to embrace authoritarianism, they should call a spade a spade.
Yes they should exit NATO, and invite Putler in to cleanse their population of any impure genetic material. Turkey too. Of course then they’ll have to figure out if those brown skinned Turks need to be cleansed as well. I’m sure they do. Maybe the Kurd people - at least the blond haired blue eyed ones - can be finally given a homeland under the protective wing of Russian humanitarianism.

Or Joe Biden or Hillary Clinton? The things they say regarding the moderates/conservative-moderates is insane!

What if Obama used steak sauce or wore a tan suit or used a teleprompter?
Obama used Dijon mustard, not steak sauce. And the country barely survived...

From what has been revealed I think it is obvious there were republicans in Congress who supported the Trump coup attempt. There is no other way to frame it.

From what has been revealed I think it is obvious there were republicans in Congress who supported the Trump coup attempt. There is no other way to frame it.

Yawn. That is so last year. Pretty sure 'Murka has forgotten all about it... let's move on, now that we know what to do next time we lose an election.
/GQP

The majority of House Republicans voted for the coup. Seven Senate Republicans voted for the coup.

Yawn. That is so last year. Pretty sure 'Murka has forgotten all about it... let's move on, now that we know what to do next time we lose an election.
/GQP

The next president is likely to be Trump or a surrogate. The stolen election mantra is alive and well, many believers.

Back
Top Bottom