• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Uganda Anti Gay Law

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
Listened to a BBC report interviewing an ex Ugandan Christian politician. He said he would yurnhis son over to the police if he came out being gay, even if it meant the death penalty. He said Uganda has Christian values.

Someone has been charged with aggravated homosexuality and may face a death penlty.

Uganda enacts harsh anti-LGBTQ law including death penalty

KAMPALA, May 29 (Reuters) - Uganda's President Yoweri Museveni signed one of the world's toughest anti-LGBTQ laws, including the death penalty for "aggravated homosexuality", drawing Western condemnation and risking sanctions from aid donors.

Same-sex relations were already illegal in Uganda, as in more than 30 African countries, but the new law goes further.

It stipulates capital punishment for "serial offenders" against the law and transmission of a terminal illness like HIV/AIDS through gay sex. It also decrees a 20-year sentence for "promoting" homosexuality.

The law — considered one of the harshest of its kind in the world — contains provisions that make "aggravated homosexuality" an offense punishable by death and includes penalties for consensual same-sex relations of up to life in prison.

The suspect "was charged in Soroti [in eastern Uganda] and he is on remand in prison. He will be appearing in court for mention of the case," said Jacquelyn Okui, spokeswoman for Uganda's directorate of public prosecutions.

According to the charge sheet seen by AFP, the 20-year-old suspect was charged on August 18 and is accused of "unlawful sexual intercourse with... [a] male adult aged 41".

"Violently homophobic Africans."

What has conservatism given Uganda?

Thank you.

Next, I'll take Topics in Apartheid, please Alex.

Violently homophobic Africans.
Tom
How does “Unify Africa” fit in with that topic granting the charitable but dubious interpretation that Uganda is representative of Africa.

I was making a snarky comment about @Gospel.
Let him explain why.

Or explain why Uganda isn't African or something. I dunno.

I do know that here in the US, Africans tend to be more homophobic than the norm.
Tom

It's deeply disheartening that you opted to trivialize my perspective on a subject you don't understand instead of addressing the grave implications of Uganda's position on homosexuality. The stakes for Uganda's LGBT community are too high for that shit.

It's deeply disheartening that you opted to trivialize my perspective on a subject you don't understand instead of addressing the grave implications of Uganda's position on homosexuality. The stakes for Uganda's LGBT community are too high for that shit.
I presume you are responding to @laughing dog ?

I'm well aware of the violence.
Tom

And your sweeping generalizations about African nations are truly comedic gold. Did you know there are at least four African countries with LGBT-friendly policies? Of course, that doesn't mean every individual there is welcoming, but why fact-check when it's so much more fun to critique me, right? :unsure:

And your sweeping generalizations about African nations are truly comedic gold. Did you know there are at least four African countries with LGBT-friendly policies? Of course, that doesn't mean every individual there is welcoming, but why fact-check when it's so much more fun to critique me, right? :unsure:

To whom are you responding?
I'm referring to the OP and your custom user title.
That's it.
Tom

Tom

Yet It seems your initial impulse was to jest at a user named 'Gospel' over a subject you might not fully grasp. Priorities, right?

Tom

Yet It seems your initial impulse was to jest at a user named 'Gospel' over a subject you might not fully grasp. Priorities, right?

UNIFY AFRICA!
Tom

That's it.
Tom

How does that relate to the persecution of LGBTQ+ individuals in Uganda, Tom?

That's it.
Tom

How does that relate to the persecution of LGBTQ+ individuals in Uganda, Tom?

explain why Uganda isn't African or something. I dunno.

I do know that here in the US, Africans tend to be more homophobic than the norm.

Tom

Tom
Spurred on by conservative Christians from America (see Jesus Camp).
That is actually true.

In the 90s there was a split in the American Anglican church over liberalization. The conservative side aligned with an anti gay congregation in Uganda.

American poltiicians ans have gne to Afrca to promote and support anti gay laws.

Tom
Spurred on by conservative Christians from America (see Jesus Camp).
That is actually true.

In the 90s there was a split in the American Anglican church over liberalization. The conservative side aligned with an anti gay congregation in Uganda.

American poltiicians ans have gne to Afrca to promote and support anti gay laws.
I have absolutely no doubt that this is true.

How is it relevant to the OP?
The Ugandan government has made homosexuality a capital crime. That's about as violent as homophobia gets.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom