• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Uganda Anti Gay Law

explain why Uganda isn't African or something. I dunno.

I'd gladly do so if you explain how that relates to the persecution of LGBTQ+ individuals in Uganda.

The OP is about Uganda which has long been known for harsh penalties for homosexuality.

Punishment now invades up to life in prison and the death penalty.

I do not see any way to soften that or call it anti African bias. Nigeria also has hars gay penalies.

That there being the chronic problems in Ethiopia, Niger, and Nigeria may be worth a thread. The ceasless unrest and instability in Africa.

Violently homophobic Africans.
Tom
Spurred on by conservative Christians from America (see Jesus Camp).
That is actually true.

In the 90s there was a split in the American Anglican church over liberalization. The conservative side aligned with an anti gay congregation in Uganda.

American poltiicians ans have gne to Afrca to promote and support anti gay laws.
I have absolutely no doubt that this is true.

How is it relevant to the OP?
The Ugandan government has made homosexuality a capital crime. That's about as violent as homophobia gets.
Tom

It's certainly more pertinent than your diatribe about a custom title.

Tom
That is actually true.

In the 90s there was a split in the American Anglican church over liberalization. The conservative side aligned with an anti gay congregation in Uganda.

American poltiicians ans have gne to Afrca to promote and support anti gay laws.

The Ugandan government has made homosexuality a capital crime. That's about as violent as homophobia gets.
Tom
The conservative xians spurred these laws into existence. They helped instigate thess laws and their subsequent enforcement.

It's utterly infuriating how some conveniently forget the deep-rooted histories of African nations before Christianity or Islam marched in. The indigenous beliefs and practices weren't just overshadowed; they were trampled and replaced by these imported doctrines from Arab, Asian, and European influences. This wasn't some benign neighborly gesture; it was a brazen intrusion, tearing apart their heritage, then mocking their very essence. Now I'm stuck listening to the likes of Tom, who, in his astounding ignorance, acts as though this matter solely concerns an African nation & a custom title on a fucking website. Wonderful :rolleyes:

Tom
How does “Unify Africa” fit in with that topic granting the charitable but dubious interpretation that Uganda is representative of Africa.

I was making a snarky comment about @Gospel.
Let him explain why.

Or explain why Uganda isn't African or something. I dunno.

I do know that here in the US, Africans tend to be more homophobic than the norm.
Tom
Only the maker of a remark can accurately explain its intended meaning or relevance.

I think it is obvious that while Uganda is in Africa Africa is more than Uganda.

I gather from the entirety of your response that the “ I dunno” succinctly and accurately captures your contribution to the thread.

The phrase 'Unify Africa' is self-explanatory. However, its relevance to the topic at hand isn't immediately clear. I'm more than willing to explain its meaning — which is straightforward to anyone with a basic grasp of reading — however, unless TomC clarifies its connection to the topic, I don't see a need to delve into it.

The phrase 'Unify Africa' is self-explanatory. However, its relevance to the topic at hand isn't immediately clear. I'm more than willing to explain its meaning — which is straightforward to anyone with a basic grasp of reading — however, unless TomC clarifies its connection to the topic, I don't see a need to delve into it.
By all means, go ahead and start a thread.

Tom
That is actually true.

Tom

It's certainly more pertinent than your diatribe about a custom title.
There is no diatribe, at least not yet on the thread.

ver here and in western liberal democracies a main role of government is to protect liberties of rights of individuals, including minority groups.

Over here racism was encoded in law suppressing blacks and Asians considered to be inferior to whites. Recognition of gay rights has taken longer.

There is always a battle over here between Christians who want to make law based on religious law and those who oppose it.

So, Uganda, Nigeria and other places are very relevant to our politics over here. They are representative of what we do not want to happen over here.

Today gay rights seems to hand in hand with gneral indvidual rigts. Suprssion of gay rights is associated with repressive systems.

Russia, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Qatar. International visitors to Qatar during the Olympics thought to be supporting gays were arrested and harassed by police.

I am adding Uganda to my list of places not to visit. Like Saudi Arabia, Russia, China, and North Korea.

Listened to a BBC report interviewing an ex Ugandan Christian politician. He said he would yurnhis son over to the police if he came out being gay, even if it meant the death penalty. He said Uganda has Christian values.

Someone has been charged with aggravated homosexuality and may face a death penlty.

Uganda enacts harsh anti-LGBTQ law including death penalty

KAMPALA, May 29 (Reuters) - Uganda's President Yoweri Museveni signed one of the world's toughest anti-LGBTQ laws, including the death penalty for "aggravated homosexuality", drawing Western condemnation and risking sanctions from aid donors.

Same-sex relations were already illegal in Uganda, as in more than 30 African countries, but the new law goes further.

It stipulates capital punishment for "serial offenders" against the law and transmission of a terminal illness like HIV/AIDS through gay sex. It also decrees a 20-year sentence for "promoting" homosexuality.

The law — considered one of the harshest of its kind in the world — contains provisions that make "aggravated homosexuality" an offense punishable by death and includes penalties for consensual same-sex relations of up to life in prison.

The suspect "was charged in Soroti [in eastern Uganda] and he is on remand in prison. He will be appearing in court for mention of the case," said Jacquelyn Okui, spokeswoman for Uganda's directorate of public prosecutions.

According to the charge sheet seen by AFP, the 20-year-old suspect was charged on August 18 and is accused of "unlawful sexual intercourse with... [a] male adult aged 41".
"Western Condemnation"?! It was our freaking missionaries who brought all this crap to Uganda in the first place! It's still our money that's funding it.

And your sweeping generalizations about African nations are truly comedic gold. Did you know there are at least four African countries with LGBT-friendly policies? Of course, that doesn't mean every individual there is welcoming, but why fact-check when it's so much more fun to critique me, right? :unsure:

To whom are you responding?
I'm referring to the OP and your custom user title.
That's it.
Tom

How does that relate to the persecution of LGBTQ+ individuals in Uganda, Tom?
Racism. :rolleyes:

By all means, go ahead and start a thread.
You might want to direct that question to TomC. I'm not sure why you're addressing me (twice at that) when I wasn't the one who initiated the off-topic discussion.

Gospel, do you support the Uganda law and a death penalty for homosexuality? Do you support going to jail for supporting gay rights?

You live in Florida, a conservative anti gay state. Do you support the governor?

It goes back to the Hebrew Leviticus morality laws.

Christianity was in Africa early on.

Augustine was a Berbr6 who connerted to the RCC. Ad important Christian figure.

Gospel, do you support the Uganda law and a death penalty for homosexuality? Do you support going to jail for supporting gay rights?

You live in Florida, a conservative anti gay state. Do you support the governor?

It goes back to the Hebrew Leviticus morality laws.
Why did you ask such an insulting question to Gospel, who I've never seen show any hate or prejudice regarding any minority group and he's an agnostic, not a Christian. So, what does the OT have to do with him? :thinking:

It wasn't just contemporary evangelical christians who negatively influenced Africans. It began during colonialism.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/23/africa-homophobia-uganda-anti-gay-law

The above link explains it pretty well. It provides a lot of interesting information. Christians weren't just against homosexuality, they told incredibly cruel lies about gay people.

And, from what little I know, the Unification of Africa is a movement that started in the 90s to try and unite the continent into a federation, to defeat the influence of colonialism. Tom, you can do your own DD if you want to learn more.

I'm not optimistic that Africa will unite and I'm not optimistic that the posters in this thread will unite. Of course, y'all could apologize......Sometimes comments made on a discussion board are misunderstood or what is meant to be light hearted sounds cruel. There's way too much hatred in the world. I wish we would be more civil here. :duel:

I think we can all agree that Uganda's laws regarding homosexuality are very cruel, and the Governor of Florida is a hateful, narrow minded asshole, but there are actually still laws on the books in our own fucked up country that forbid gay sex, even if they aren't currently legal under federal law. Let's hope SCOTUS doesn't change that.

Hardly insulting. Pointed questions maybe.

Gospel essentially called the thread a smear on Africa. I am asking his views on the OP. A fair question.

If that is insulting so be it.

Criticize Israel for its actions in the West Bank and you are antisemitic. Crisize the issues in Africa and you are racist. The politically correct culture.

Gospel essentially called the thread a smear on Africa. I am asking his views on the OP. A fair question.

Could you please provide the specific post where I supposedly referred to the thread as "a smear on Africa," a continent comprising 54 distinct countries?

No & no. Please advise where in this thread (or entire discussion board) I posted something that gave you the idea that I did?

Again no.

Criticize Israel for its actions in the West Bank and you are antisemitic. Crisize the issues in Africa and you are racist. The politically correct culture.

I haven't observed anyone in this thread asserting that criticizing Uganda's anti-gay laws is racist. Unless you're suggesting that, because I'm black and have "Unify Africa" in my title, I inherently disagree with the notion that persecuting gay individuals is wrong. That's what yours & TomC's argument seems to be from my point of view.

Hardly insulting. Pointed questions maybe.

If that is insulting so be it.

But the charge itself seemed bigoted. The OP was about cruel laws against gays in Uganda. The response was effectively 'Bigoted Africa!' Some people so badly want to point and yell "Look, blacks can be bad too!" This was never in doubt. It just wasn't the subject of the thread and was brought up out of the blue.

Back
Top Bottom