• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Understanding Consciousness: Awareness vs. Attention

Hard vs Easy problem: I would rather avoid going down the Chalmers rabbit hole. That's where discussions of consciousness go to die. I'm more interested in working on the problem rather than throwing up my hands and walking away. I haven't defined "consciousness", because it can refer to so many different aspects of human cognition. We could spend forever debating its usage. I would rather try to deconstruct it, and terms like "awareness" and "attention" help us to do that.

My point was precisely that it should be good enough to discuss awareness without pretending we would be talking about consciousness. Let's leave aside consciousness and with it the hard problem. But you can't seriously go on pretending to discuss consciousness if you leave aside the hard problem.

And so I don't think you can "deconstruct" consciousness in terms of awareness and attention. First because, again, there's the hard problem and to deconstruct at all you'd need to start from that. Second, attention is just what we call our highest level of awareness, so I think. That is, attention is not something coming on top of, or beside, awareness. It's a modality of awareness. Again, that sounds like the economical way for the brain to do that sort of things.

I will focus my attention on the rest later.
EB

I think that this is on the path to solving the "hard problem". Solutions always require analysis. I believe that we can construct conscious robots, if we can create functional equivalences in the sensory-motor control system to the sensory-control system in animals. They don't even have to be robots that are as intelligent as human beings. Chalmers was interested in how the machinery of the brain could be said to give rise to consciousness. Surely, that requires an understanding on some level of how perceptual cognition works.

However, the key to animal cognition is not just in distinguishing attention from awareness. That is just a necessary first step. It is also necessary to introduce something that I refer to as recursive layers of emergence. I am referring to phenomena that were discussed at length in Hofstadter's tour de force  Gödel, Escher, Bach, which, not surprisingly, had a lot to say about perceptual illusions. However, being a linguist, I would start from the perspective of the recursive structure of linguistic phrases--the mechanism that allows us to construct sentences. And I would show how "attention" plays a fundamental role in building up phrase structure. None of this is something that I invented out of whole cloth. It is an approach to cognition that has a lot of scholarly precedent. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), this venue is far too casual to get into serious details on such a subject.

Attention and Awareness Aren’t The Same
https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/releases/attention-and-awareness-arent-the-same.html
Paying attention to something and being aware of it seem like the same thing -they both involve somehow knowing the thing is there. However, a new study, which will be published in an upcoming issue of Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science, finds that these are actually separate; your brain can pay attention to something without you being aware that it’s there.
We wanted to ask, can things attract your attention even when you don’t see them at all?” Usually, when people pay attention to something, they also become aware of it; in fact, many psychologists assume these two concepts are inextricably linked. But more evidence has suggested that’s not the case.

Interesting stuff.

Attention and Awareness Aren’t The Same
https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/releases/attention-and-awareness-arent-the-same.html
<snip>
To test this, Hsieh and his colleagues came up with an experiment that used the phenomenon called “visual pop-out.” They set each participant up with a display that showed a different video to each eye. One eye was shown colorful, shifting patterns; all awareness went to that eye, because that’s the way the brain works. The other eye was shown a pattern of shapes that didn’t move. Most were green, but one was red. Then subjects were tested to see what part of the screen their attention had gone to. The researchers found that people’s attention went to that red shape – even though they had no idea they’d seen it at all.
<snip>

So, me, I just don't call that "attention".

I call "attention" my highest level of awareness. When I pay attention to something I will have a very good and definite idea of it. And I suspect that's what most people do, which straightforwardly explains the fact that "many psychologists assume these two concepts are inextricably linked".

So, kudos for the study. What they've really shown is that the brain does things the subject is not aware of.

No kidding!

If you are a perceptual or sensory psychologist you know you are always processing certain signals even though you are not aware they are even there. These range from internal sensing such as those associated with metabolism, oxygen levels, neural ion states, blood flow, heart rate, etc, and from senses that are not processing what the eyes are pointed towards, or at night, those senses that are on all the time like touch, taste, odor, and hearing.

I'm not any kind of psychologist and I know my brain is always processing all manners of signals even though I'm not aware of them.

There seems to be a large distinction between what I just wrote and what philosophers writing on these thread chose to call attention and awareness.

I would definitely have been interested had you tried to support your point here. You know, arguments, facts, whatever.

It may just be me, but, I'm pretty sure we attend to signals of which we are obviously not aware.

No, don't feel afraid. You're not alone. I'm here and I understand what you are trying to say.

I even agree with you here, even though you're not aware of that.

Also emotion is another boat on which I wouldn't pin my hopes for awareness as Bard and Canon pointed out nearly 100 years ago. Again scientists have spent about 120 years defining and laying out the boundaries of awareness (Williams and Elfner among many, many ,others), arousal (Moruzzi and Magoun), attention (an entire discipline in neuroscience) and consciousness (Crick).

So, rather than arguing past each other with moving goal posts, I suggest we adhere to 'scientific' criteria when laying down our scent marks on these terms.

If you have a specific disagreement with anything I said, please state you case clearly and explicitly. I'd be pleased to address your concerns, if any.

On to what illusions tell us about how we perceive, think, and organize the world later. Hint: it comes down to trades at boundaries between domains like duration-frequency edge-boundary-motion, and other interesting aspects of the sensed world we codify into perceptions sentences and scenes.

just sayin'

I'll be waiting for you. :love:
EB

Semantics being a problem. Word meaning overlap, etc. Published articles sometimes putting their own slant on words like attention and awareness.

My point was precisely that it should be good enough to discuss awareness without pretending we would be talking about consciousness. Let's leave aside consciousness and with it the hard problem. But you can't seriously go on pretending to discuss consciousness if you leave aside the hard problem.

And so I don't think you can "deconstruct" consciousness in terms of awareness and attention. First because, again, there's the hard problem and to deconstruct at all you'd need to start from that. Second, attention is just what we call our highest level of awareness, so I think. That is, attention is not something coming on top of, or beside, awareness. It's a modality of awareness. Again, that sounds like the economical way for the brain to do that sort of things.
EB

I think that this is on the path to solving the "hard problem".

That doesn't sound plausible to me.

Solutions always require analysis. I believe that we can construct conscious robots, if we can create functional equivalences in the sensory-motor control system to the sensory-control system in animals. They don't even have to be robots that are as intelligent as human beings. Chalmers was interested in how the machinery of the brain could be said to give rise to consciousness. Surely, that requires an understanding on some level of how perceptual cognition works.

Human cognition, or awareness, is in itself a complex phenomena and that's where the money is and has been for quite a while now. The basic assumption of that effort is that we can solve this and ignore the hard problem altogether. I personally think it's the best approach. But, again, we can't do that and pretend at the same time we're addressing the hard problem.

This pretence would be similar to automobile engineers pretending that building the best cars will help them understand how come there's a universe in the first place.

However, the key to animal cognition is not just in distinguishing attention from awareness. That is just a necessary first step. It is also necessary to introduce something that I refer to as recursive layers of emergence.

Recursive layers of emergence? That sounds like a conversation killer to me.

I am referring to phenomena that were discussed at length in Hofstadter's tour de force  Gödel, Escher, Bach, which, not surprisingly, had a lot to say about perceptual illusions. However, being a linguist, I would start from the perspective of the recursive structure of linguistic phrases--the mechanism that allows us to construct sentences. And I would show how "attention" plays a fundamental role in building up phrase structure. None of this is something that I invented out of whole cloth. It is an approach to cognition that has a lot of scholarly precedent. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), this venue is far too casual to get into serious details on such a subject.

I'm sure you're a good, main-stream, engineer.
EB

Semantics being a problem. Word meaning overlap, etc. Published articles sometimes putting their own slant on words like attention and awareness.

Yeah. I think they're attention seekers.
EB

Psychologists need an operational definition for "attention", so eye movement can be taken as an indicator of "attention". I have tended to use the term as a kind of synonym for "foregrounding" or "highlighting", but making a distinction between background and foreground is woven into the fabric of linguistic structure. For example, the subject-predicate distinction is a type of foregrounding, and it emerges early in so-called "two-word utterances" such as "all-gone milk" in children. Clause structure becomes much more complex after that stage, but it is very common for children to start out with a limited repertoire of subject-predicate or predicate-object utterances. Adult languages tend to have a wide range of grammatical tools for highlighting topics, but every phrase in sentence structure has a nuclear "head" construct around which the rest of the phrase is built up.

So, I think that if we restrict our attention to the easy-enough-to-understand aspect of consciousness, which I think is precisely awareness, then, unsurprisingly, it suddenly looks much easier to understand.

So, awareness, strictly identified as a form of knowledge, knowledge of some species of data, perhaps broadly what Russell called "sense-data", what I would myself rather call "mental data", then attention can be construed as the way the mind, or the brain, focuses awareness on a particular batch of mental data.

That has to be a very important aspect of awareness and of how our mind works, but whether that's the "most important" would be debatable. Unfortunately, this thread "has pretty much wound itself down".
OK, so here's where you fundamentally misunderstood what I said. I said that ATTENTION, not AWARENESS, was the most important aspect of consciousness. Attention (an act of foregrounding or highlighting) plays a role in motor, as well as sensory, behavior. It is the mechanism that allows us to resolve ambiguous perceptions such as optical illusions. If you want to understand how consciousness emerges in the machine that we call a "brain", then you need to pay attention to attention.

You misunderstood.

The only sensible way to interpret what I said is that attention is an important aspect of awareness but probably not the most important one.

I can appropriately repeat myself here: "As I see it, some people just don't read too well what's just written on the page in front of their very eyes. It is nothing more then the misinterpretation of one word. I'd say, most people would do well to learn their English properly."

And here, the one word was "that".

Not a great start.
EB

Psychologists need an operational definition for "attention", so eye movement can be taken as an indicator of "attention".

Sure they do, but that's what fromderinside should have explained and failed to do, that psychologists had to use their own in-house, private, definition of "attention", and that this had very little to do with attention as we all think of it. And all this apparently without even realising that's what they're doing.

And you're doing something similar by extending the scope of "emotion" to unconscious processes. All this apparently without even realising that's what you're doing.

Lots of people just do things without realising what they're doing.

Some people should do well just to wake up.

Although in Washington state maybe it's time to go to bed.
EB

Also, "resolve" is just a little bit too optimistic. I would rather say that the mind decides on, or the brain produces, a particular interpretation. And, clearly, if it's the wrong interpretation, then nothing will be resolved. And we do sometimes choose the wrong interpretation, especially when our brain has started going down the drain.
Well, you do "see" two different cubes in the Necker illusion, don't you? You don't see them simultaneously, but sequentially. Your perception shifts between the two visual interpretations. When it shifts, that is ambiguity resolution. To say that "the mind decides on" or "the brain produces" is somewhat trivially true, so why would you "rather" not talk about the awareness/attention dichotomy that has been the topic under discussion?
And, I'm also unsure as to whether attention is really required to this process of deciding on, or producing, interpretations. I would for example be confortable with the idea that the brain comes up with one interpretation through an unconscious process. I suspect that's what happens most of the time. Sounds economical, and economy is rather critical, I think, to the way the brain works.
Well, hold on there. The brain does a lot of "unconscious" things all at once. Attention, awareness, and volition are cognitive processes in a mind, and brains produce minds. So it is trivial to keep using "brain" as a metonymy substitution for "mind". That does not help us understand how cognition works. It is more helpful to establish the behavior of cognitive components of consciousness, if we are truly interested in understanding what it means for a physical machine such as a brain to produce it.

Perception can "shift between the two visual interpretations" without attention as we usually understand it playing any part in the process. I don't see how it would be sensible to claim that the attention of the subject shifted if the subject is not even conscious his attention shifted. So, here again, like for the term "emotion", I think you are extending the scope of the term ""attention" to include unconscious processes, without making it clear that's what you're doing. What kind of attention are you talking about? Well, that's precisely that which you've failed to make explicit, just like those bright scientists did in the paper discussed by fromderinside. So, at least, you're in good company.

There's a more general point to be made. Scientists could very easily, and I think definitely should, invent their own terminology to talk about their scientific results. This would stop this recurrent problem whereby, first, non-scientists are mislead as to the significance of scientific results, and, second, at least some very confused scientists think sensible to chastise the non-scientists for talking non-sense by failing to parrot scientific talk. Instead of talking of 'attention' for an unconscious process, which actually makes no sense, one could talk of 'unconscious focus' for example. Instead of talking of 'emotion' for an unconscious process, which again makes no sense, one could talk of 'unconscious impulse' or 'spur'.

I don't think anything is to be gained by anybody by having very confused scientists keep denying any value to what non-scientists say about their experience of life.
EB

Well, you do "see" two different cubes in the Necker illusion, don't you? You don't see them simultaneously, but sequentially. Your perception shifts between the two visual interpretations. When it shifts, that is ambiguity resolution. To say that "the mind decides on" or "the brain produces" is somewhat trivially true, so why would you "rather" not talk about the awareness/attention dichotomy that has been the topic under discussion?

Well, hold on there. The brain does a lot of "unconscious" things all at once. Attention, awareness, and volition are cognitive processes in a mind, and brains produce minds. So it is trivial to keep using "brain" as a metonymy substitution for "mind". That does not help us understand how cognition works. It is more helpful to establish the behavior of cognitive components of consciousness, if we are truly interested in understanding what it means for a physical machine such as a brain to produce it.

Perception can "shift between the two visual interpretations" without attention as we usually understand it playing any part in the process. I don't see how it would be sensible to claim that the attention of the subject shifted if the subject is not even conscious his attention shifted. So, here again, like for the term "emotion", I think you are extending the scope of the term ""attention" to include unconscious processes, without making it clear that's what you're doing. What kind of attention are you talking about? Well, that's precisely that which you've failed to make explicit, just like those bright scientists did in the paper discussed by fromderinside. So, at least, you're in good company.

There's a more general point to be made. Scientists could very easily, and I think definitely should, invent their own terminology to talk about their scientific results. This would stop this recurrent problem whereby, first, non-scientists are mislead as to the significance of scientific results, and, second, at least some very confused scientists think sensible to chastise the non-scientists for talking non-sense by failing to parrot scientific talk. Instead of talking of 'attention' for an unconscious process, which actually makes no sense, one could talk of 'unconscious focus' for example. Instead of talking of 'emotion' for an unconscious process, which again makes no sense, one could talk of 'unconscious impulse' or 'spur'.

I don't think anything is to be gained by anybody by having very confused scientists keep denying any value to what non-scientists say about their experience of life.
EB

Looks like every one is trying to find rationales for putting attention here or there. To what is attended we need to put in some sensory capsule so I and a few thousand other experimental psychologists have endeavored for generations to do so. I'll start there.

At the base of every sensed element or event there lies the ability to do so. That which makes it possible to do so is the ability to pay attention to it. A frog cannot change the fact that if a stimulus arrives at it's peripheral vision it will result to in the frog turning it's head toward it. Doing so is an unconscious act. By the item incinting this behavior comes into focus in or near the frog's most well populated receivers. A bug is placed in view resulting in a actions by the frog to retrieve this 'food' item. The frog by reacting hs produced conditions for doing effector work, whipping out its tongue to capture and retrieve the target bug. The above sequence illustrates elemental relations between attending and awareness. One is using ones senses at all waking times to attend to relevant inputs drawn by inherited reflexive and cognitive processes. Attending, at it's base are processes bringing information into the processes that might be used for directed activity.

Awareness is driven differently. The brain has evolved a system for bringing processes on line after stuff is sensed. For that there is the arousal system which drives wakefulness and sleep and, during wakefulness, activating and sustaining consciousness. Fast response neurons come together at the base of the brain from all senses and bodilly maintenance functions which are used to determine whether one is awake or asleep, and to drive one from attending to much to attending to specific elements for general processing.

When the frog reacts to movement in visual its periphery, that event leads to activation of general responsiveness to systems designed to track and get food. All senses are competing, so to speak, to provide useful input based on their inherited tendencies. The arousal, attention, awareness hierarchy has been been optimized to efficiently initiate, regulate, and carry out these processes.

So starting at the conscious level to define attention and awareness is either arrogant or naive since there are well defined features underlying behavior that clearly evolved a particular way. I'm not defending psychology. Rather I'm defending neuroscience and evolutionary science when I speak of attention and awareness in the way I and those to whom I've referred lay out.

Clearly I reject the notion that one needs control, motive, to attend beyond that which comes with each systems that uses input information which can lead to turning one's brain to working on particular scenarios.

Another argument against any conscious determined purposeful behavior comes with the problem of determining what to control after events have transpired leading the way to attending to those driving events. Doing that leaves the cart leading the horse.

One's folk science, in the name of personal experience, should be respected as legitimate is obviously not reasonable. Best use of information is that which verifiably backs up which it is based.

My above input is more visceral than objective. However it has the attraction of being based on generalizations of systematic study over about two hundred years and it, not once, descends into being based on personal impression.

Looks like every one is trying to find rationales for putting attention here or there.

Sorry to have called your attention so brashly. I guess I'm demanding too much of you. It certainly looks like clearly too much.

To what is attended we need to put in some sensory capsule so I and a few thousand other experimental psychologists have endeavored for generations to do so. I'll start there.

That's your first mistake here. You'd need to start from what I say if ever this is meant as a reply. If all you can do is repeat your hard earned expertise I guess I won't feel like I need to pay attention.

At the base of every sensed element or event there lies the ability to do so. That which makes it possible to do so is the ability to pay attention to it. A frog cannot change the fact that if a stimulus arrives at it's peripheral vision it will result to in the frog turning it's head toward it. Doing so is an unconscious act. By the item incinting this behavior comes into focus in or near the frog's most well populated receivers. A bug is placed in view resulting in a actions by the frog to retrieve this 'food' item. The frog by reacting hs produced conditions for doing effector work, whipping out its tongue to capture and retrieve the target bug. The above sequence illustrates elemental relations between attending and awareness. One is using ones senses at all waking times to attend to relevant inputs drawn by inherited reflexive and cognitive processes. Attending, at it's base are processes bringing information into the processes that might be used for directed activity.

Awareness is driven differently. The brain has evolved a system for bringing processes on line after stuff is sensed. For that there is the arousal system which drives wakefulness and sleep and, during wakefulness, activating and sustaining consciousness. Fast response neurons come together at the base of the brain from all senses and bodilly maintenance functions which are used to determine whether one is awake or asleep, and to drive one from attending to much to attending to specific elements for general processing.

When the frog reacts to movement in visual its periphery, that event leads to activation of general responsiveness to systems designed to track and get food. All senses are competing, so to speak, to provide useful input based on their inherited tendencies. The arousal, attention, awareness hierarchy has been been optimized to efficiently initiate, regulate, and carry out these processes.

That's all very interesting but not attending at all to the point I made. You're not replying because you're not paying attention. You're just pretending. Worse, you think you are attending to the point. But this is not a reply. This is just your knees jerking. You'd better need to attend to that before somebody gets hurt.

So starting at the conscious level to define attention and awareness is either arrogant or naive since there are well defined features underlying behavior that clearly evolved a particular way. I'm not defending psychology. Rather I'm defending neuroscience and evolutionary science when I speak of attention and awareness in the way I and those to whom I've referred lay out.

If you'd read what I said you'd have seen that I don't start "at the conscious level to define attention and awareness". Because I'm not in the business of defining things like attention and awareness. Because I don't have to. Because, as I already explained, if you had paid attention, these are well-worn terms of everyday life, well worn by everyday use, with millions of English-speaking people contributing to this usage. Who cares about a few thousand scientists? We're talking about millions of perfectly respectable speakers of English. It is scientists who want to redefine attention and awareness. Excuse me?! You think you're in charge of the dictionary here? Well, think again. It doesn't work like that. Last time I checked, the dictionary still was giving the proper definition of "attention", exactly as I understand it, exactly as millions of people understand it. Please try to pay attention:
Attention n.
a. The act of close or careful observing or listening: You'll learn more if you pay attention in class.
b. The ability or power to keep the mind on something; the ability to concentrate: We turned our attention to the poem's last stanza.
c. Notice or observation: The billboard caught our attention.

You can use Google Translate if you needed to.

Clearly I reject the notion that one needs control, motive, to attend beyond that which comes with each systems that uses input information which can lead to turning one's brain to working on particular scenarios.

Irrelevant. You're not paying attention.

Another argument against any conscious determined purposeful behavior comes with the problem of determining what to control after events have transpired leading the way to attending to those driving events. Doing that leaves the cart leading the horse.

One's folk science, in the name of personal experience, should be respected as legitimate is obviously not reasonable. Best use of information is that which verifiably backs up which it is based.

My above input is more visceral than objective. However it has the attraction of being based on generalizations of systematic study over about two hundred years and it, not once, descends into being based on personal impression.

Yes, be careful with those jerking knees.

Me, I'm talking of millions of people, not a few thousands, and somewhat more than two hundred years of history of the English language, not least with relevant roots in Latin: Attention, from Middle English attencioun, from Latin attentiō, attentiōn-, from attentus, past participle of attendere, to heed; see attend.

And I was never talking of science, I was talking about usage. Try to focus here.
EB

So, I think that if we restrict our attention to the easy-enough-to-understand aspect of consciousness, which I think is precisely awareness, then, unsurprisingly, it suddenly looks much easier to understand.

So, awareness, strictly identified as a form of knowledge, knowledge of some species of data, perhaps broadly what Russell called "sense-data", what I would myself rather call "mental data", then attention can be construed as the way the mind, or the brain, focuses awareness on a particular batch of mental data.

That has to be a very important aspect of awareness and of how our mind works, but whether that's the "most important" would be debatable. Unfortunately, this thread "has pretty much wound itself down".

Ok So I start responding in detail here. As is pointed out in the article attending does not require consciousness, or, even awareness for those who think the two are distinct. Attending is, at the lowest level, at every mental level it is invoked, just processing of afferent or incoming data. So it is, as you say attention occurs at conscious levels, attending is just processing appropriate data at various stages of analysis regardless of whether one is aware or conscious of it.

Attention can be construed as the process of foregrounding, and attention/foregrounding is the primary cognitive tool that we use to resolve ambiguous perceptual illusions. It allows us to interpret sensations in terms of a mental model.

At one point in systematic information analysis attention can be construed as you say.

Our mental life contains all sorts of things beside sensations. For example, ideas, memories and impressions. And our attention can focus on those as well.

However it is not really being in an aware or conscious state that permits, guides, induces, such attending. Attention is just taking relevant antecedent information and setting a stage for taking account of to what one is pointing their antennae toward.

If only illusions can be ambiguous, then there's nothing for the mind to resolve. So, better drop the word "illusion" here.

Actually, illusions, as I've pointed out many times, are always found to be problems solved at a transition point in a trade between signal attributes treated as time or space linked. (frequency- time being one dimensional junction)' So we need keep illusion as an important dimension for teasing out these inherent sensory limiting factors vis a vis attention and awareness.

Also, "resolve" is just a little bit too optimistic. I would rather say that the mind decides on, or the brain produces, a particular interpretation. And, clearly, if it's the wrong interpretation, then nothing will be resolved. And we do sometimes choose the wrong interpretation, especially when our brain has started going down the drain.

Resolve is the proper term. Attention is not the proper mode in which resolution of illusions takes place. Rather it is in arbitration between two or more attendings that these issues are adjudicated. The perception of three dimensional motion of created objects is resolved not as separate, but, as single image where one object travels through another for instance. Attending is more in the realm of listening to a sound for more than ten ms and departing from an impression of click to arriving at an impression of tonality, then specific tone etc.

And, I'm also unsure as to whether attention is really required to this process of deciding on, or producing, interpretations. I would for example be comfortable with the idea that the brain comes up with one interpretation through an unconscious process. I suspect that's what happens most of the time. Sounds economical, and economy is rather critical, I think, to the way the brain works.

That being said, attention is definitely a fact of our mental life. It happens. Our attention will shift from one thing to another. Something we were barely aware of will suddenly become "the focus of our attention", and we will normally become very aware of it.

So, possibly, attention is just the way the brain optimises its operations. Low awareness for most things to be economical, and then there's some kind of a problem and the brain suddenly diverts most of it energy onto it. Sounds effective to me, and effectiveness, I think, would be pretty critical to the way the brain has to work.

Of all that above the only interpretation that makes sense is the last "...attention is just a way to optimize operations..." Trying to redefine attention at every level focus of sense or information is in process seems a bit weaselly. Attention is an obvious process involved in detecting, sensing, organizing, and integrating information where at some point the information becomes either theater or subject of awareness. The most unfortunate point you try to make is that attention and awareness are often confusable.

Emotion and free will need not be addressed here.

As you can see from above point by point responses often lead to intellectual train wrecks.

PS:talking of attention and awareness derived from science understanding is a discussion appropriate to usage.

Last edited:

OK, so here's where you fundamentally misunderstood what I said. I said that ATTENTION, not AWARENESS, was the most important aspect of consciousness. Attention (an act of foregrounding or highlighting) plays a role in motor, as well as sensory, behavior. It is the mechanism that allows us to resolve ambiguous perceptions such as optical illusions. If you want to understand how consciousness emerges in the machine that we call a "brain", then you need to pay attention to attention.
You misunderstood.

The only sensible way to interpret what I said is that attention is an important aspect of awareness but probably not the most important one.

I can appropriately repeat myself here: "As I see it, some people just don't read too well what's just written on the page in front of their very eyes. It is nothing more then the misinterpretation of one word. I'd say, most people would do well to learn their English properly."

And here, the one word was "that".

Not a great start.
EB
Actually, the antecedent to "that" was not clear to me until you clarified it with an underline. In fact, I took it as a reference to the idea expressed by the sentence rather than the specific word "attention". But you are the expert on what you intended to say, and I am happy to stand corrected. Moreover, you did go on to acknowledge the difference between "attention" and "awareness", even if you felt yourself somewhat in disagreement with what I have been saying. That is an important distinction to make. The problem is that people tend to conflate attention and awareness. What I tried to point out to you--and you still may have missed--was that "attention" was also relevant to motor behavior (volition), not just perceptual behavior.

BTW, condescending lectures about reading English aren't helpful, especially from someone whose native language is not English. In French, demonstrative pronouns and adjectives are often less ambiguous because of gender agreement. So you may be less sensitive to the ambiguity of pronoun reference. Even native speakers of English have trouble with it.

Psychologists need an operational definition for "attention", so eye movement can be taken as an indicator of "attention".

Sure they do, but that's what fromderinside should have explained and failed to do, that psychologists had to use their own in-house, private, definition of "attention", and that this had very little to do with attention as we all think of it. And all this apparently without even realising that's what they're doing.
No, I don't think that fromderinside needed to explain what was obvious from reading the article. And here again, I remind you that "attention" applies to motor behavior, not just perceptual. Eye movement is a good indicator of an act of "attention". Please also recall that I have equated "attention" with a process of foregrounding or highlighting. That is very important, because it is a key aspect of subliminal and supraliminal cognition. Another way to understand what I am getting at here is that there are degrees or levels of consciousness. Individual events of "attention" in a brain may not be events that people are consciously aware of. I felt that that was something of a given in fromderinside's article.

And you're doing something similar by extending the scope of "emotion" to unconscious processes. All this apparently without even realising that's what you're doing.

Lots of people just do things without realising what they're doing.

Some people should do well just to wake up.

Although in Washington state maybe it's time to go to bed.
EB
We are not always consciously aware of emotional conflicts that go on in our heads, and I think that you would probably agree, if you gave it some thought. I was somewhat surprised that you seemed not think that emotion had much to do with motivating decisions or behavior, but I suppose you are more intent on being disagreeable than understanding. At least, that is the impression I get from some of your snide comments. Consciousness is not a binary concept. We are more or less conscious of things, not just conscious or unconscious. So any account of what consciousness means needs to approach it as a scalar concept. A state of grogginess is not one that is fully conscious or fully unconscious. Acts of awareness, attention, and volition can occur at any level of consciousness, including the subliminal.

Actually, I think that those scientists were perfectly correct to think that consciousness is a very fluid thing, but you seem to have a more rigid view of it. They weren't just deciding to take that position. It seems to be based on a broad range of experience found in virtually every scientific study of perception. Most perceptual activity is subliminal. All they were saying was that researchers should be more careful about distinguishing acts of attention from instances of awareness. I am fully in agreement with that. What I am doing a little differently from them is that I am overtly linking the concept of "attention" with foregrounding (or highlighting) behavior. Attention is a relationship between foreground and background. Awareness is a relationship between perceiver and object.

EB
SP, your general point really applies to most conversations that occur in everyday language. They normally contain a healthy amount of negotiation over the meaning of words and phrases. We see that all the time in these online discussions. Scientists normally write for other scientists, so they share a more general understanding of the subject matter that renders such clarifications unnecessary in all cases. If they write for the general public, then they do need to clarify their language for that context. I think that fromderinside's article was a perfectly relevant contribution here precisely because it cautioned against conflating awareness (perception) with attention (foregrounding). Eye movement is an important indication of attention, so I think that their use of that telltale was spot on. That most cognitive acts of perception, awareness, and volition are subliminal seems fairly obvious to me, but the problem is our tendency to conflate concepts such as awareness and attention in everyday usage of those words. If we are ever to solve the "hard problem", then we really need to pay attention to fine distinctions of that sort in animal cognition.

(Note to SP: I haven't had time to review your interchange with fromderinside after your last reply to me. This was written offline and pasted here. I'll read the other posts when I have the time.)

I am happy to stand corrected.
Good.

What I tried to point out to you--and you still may have missed--was that "attention" was also relevant to motor behavior (volition), not just perceptual behavior.

I definitely didn't miss that bit. I take this as just a case of you using an extended sense of the ordinary notion of attention. Just like you do it with "emotion".

See here what is the ordinary usage of the word:
Attention
n. 1. concentrated direction of the mind, esp to a problem or task

Even psychologists seem to agree with us ordinary folks. Look here:
Attention
n. 6. (Psychology) psychol the act of concentrating on any one of a set of objects or thoughts.

See?

And if you're not too sure about what "concentrate" could possibly mean for us ordinary people on the streets, or for psychologists for that matter, just look here:
Concentrate
v. intr. 2. To direct one's thoughts or attention: We concentrated on the task before us.

BTW, condescending lectures about reading English aren't helpful, especially from someone whose native language is not English.

Good English is good English, and my post was good English through and through.

If you want to argue with me, you better pay attention to what it is I wrote.

And, obviously, the nationality or identity of the one doing the talking is irrelevant here.

In French, demonstrative pronouns and adjectives are often less ambiguous because of gender agreement. So you may be less sensitive to the ambiguity of pronoun reference. Even native speakers of English have trouble with it.

Ah, there we go again! Not my fault, gov!

So, let me repeat that:

Need I be so condescending as to go through a detailed explanation?

So, your substandard interpretation was evidence of some degree of carelessness on your part. Nothing to do with me being French, or with the ambiguity of pronouns in English.
EB

No, I don't think that fromderinside needed to explain what was obvious from reading the article.

You're wrong here again.

If FDI hadn't been replying to me with his article, for example if he had just started a new thread of his own with it, then he wouldn't have needed to explain the use of "attention" in this context. I would agree there that you understand the use of "attention" through just reading the article. However, he was responding to me (or to us, I don't know, he didn't specified). He had zero justification for taking my use of "attention" in his own "scientific" sense. So, he was in effect apparently responding to me talking about attention while talking himself about something else than what I meant, ergo not responding at all. In fact, he keeps doing this even though I have repeatedly pointed out we're definitely not talking about the same thing, making his posts irrelevant as a response to mine.

And here again, I remind you that "attention" applies to motor behavior, not just perceptual.

Something's wrong here again. You keep doing it. It's just so fascinating.

Remind me? No, because attention in the ordinary sense doesn't apply to motor behaviour on its own. Look up again the definition I provided, or open your English dictionary, if you have one, which seems unlikely.

Eye movement is a good indicator of an act of "attention".

Ah, well, "an indicator" of attention, not attention itself. I could definitely understand that. But then, even if that was true it still wouldn't be the case that eye movement is attention.

Personally, I doubt very much that it would be true anyway. Let's be clear. I don't take eye movement to be necessarily indicative of attention in the ordinary sense of the word "attention". So, no, not a good indicator at all. Maybe just the only practical indicator they have. So, it might just be their best indicator, but best is not necessarily good, in any language I know of.

Now, if you want to redefine attention as eye movement, be my guest, but somewhere else.

Please also recall that I have equated "attention" with a process of foregrounding or highlighting. That is very important, because it is a key aspect of subliminal and supraliminal cognition. Another way to understand what I am getting at here is that there are degrees or levels of consciousness. Individual events of "attention" in a brain may not be events that people are consciously aware of. I felt that that was something of a given in fromderinside's article.

See above for why it's the wrong thing to say in this context.
EB

One more time into the breach .....

Reticular activating system The reticular formation is essential for governing some of the basic functions of higher organisms and is one of the phylogenetically oldest portions of the brain.

Sensory processing the process that organizes sensation from one’s own body and the environment, thus making it possible to use the body effectively within the environment;

Lateral inhibition the capacity of an excited neuron(s) to reduce the activity of its neighbors

Attention behavioral and cognitive process of selectively concentrating on a discrete aspect of information, whether deemed subjective or objective, while ignoring other perceivable information. You'll read stuff on  Cocktail party effect - even here you'll miss the part played by noise (other voices, footsteps etc) that provides information useful for resolving serial spoken content - that are far from instructive on what is attention

Awareness neural systems that regulate attention serve to attenuate awareness among complex animals whose central and peripheral nervous system provides more information than cognitive areas of the brain can assimilate.

...are all instructive when considering how and to what we attend.

(bias of a sensory neuroscientist and physiologist) Cognitive psychologists often mess things up by concentrating on the cortex and mediation leading to mostly bad science. Their attempts at explanation are similar to what one would expect by trying to explain what's going on listening to a lowered microphone in Times Square. Admirable as some of these explanations be their research materials are just too far removed from direct effects to limit alternatives. Even looking at oxygen uptake (metabolism) isn't meaningful beyond "look, see that". Obviously they are much closer to saying something meaningful than are philosophers who don't tend to get fluids on their shirts when studying and theorizing while insisting on mostly prescientific understandings.

As much as I admire the work of Crick and Koch (2003, 2005) I take their conclusions about structures necessary for consciousness with a lot of seasoning if it is to stay down.

Last edited:
Good, that's a clear admission you're incapable of explaining your views by yourself. You need a crowd of other people to do the talking on your behalf. Pathetic. This is a forum here. Not a reference system.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do.

It will take time, though.
EB

Noting you and others wasting time a hobby of yours?

Sorry, Love, I have a private life here. I just can't tell you. :love:

You'd be surprised, I guess.
EB,
Her Majesty's Lover

Back
Top Bottom