• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

University: "not about creating an intellectual space"

That woman is a gook, if I assume that the written language in the background indicates anything...

I can't understand what is being said in the video and the Ytube auto-generated captioning understood even less than I did, which isn't much.

However, I could read the FIRE article, the emails and the comments here and I don't see what the problem is. It seems to me that the people directly involved are taking part in a healthy discussion about the problem of inappropriate costumes for Halloween. I don't see that anyone's right to free speech is being abridged, although it seems like some others, on both sides, to their discredit, want to.

The original announcement was a plea for little more than good manners. The email response from the dean was a respectful, no, it is not the place of the university or The Intercultural Affairs Committee to define what costumes that the students wear, it is not that serious and it is not that important.

But now it is a cause, not a discussion, two other groups. The woman screaming in the video that if the university didn't exercise prior restraint in this matter she was certain that she would suffer, ... what? I am not really sure. And the other group the FIRE group and some here to whom this seems to signal the end of the republic as we know it to subversive leftists.

To these last two groups I can only say, lighten up, you are wrong.

Missouri State U. protesters assaulting reporter?

This video seems to be showing demonstrators attacking a cameraman from the media to deny him the chance to report the event.

A female professor organizer of the demonstration orders the cameraman to leave or back away and calls on the protesters to force him away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTxAHODo5Ds

One of the comments says that this YouTube video has been repeatedly pulled. So it might not last.

Is there something wrong with these protesters and the professor leading them? They seem to be opposed to the media being there.

It is kind of like a mass hysteria chimp-out happening on campus now.

What a sad state of affairs. you can forgive the students for being young and daft but the lady gaga expert is just a loony.

Or pointing out the ridiculousness of being offended by everything. Hence, the response to JonA's comment.

Do you think that showing a picture of someone wearing a shirt with a bunch of words people consider offensive is going to help them to reconsider their position, or are they just going to be more offended than previously?

Or pointing out the ridiculousness of being offended by everything. Hence, the response to JonA's comment.

Do you think that showing a picture of someone wearing a shirt with a bunch of words people consider offensive is going to help them to reconsider their position, or are they just going to be more offended than previously?
That picture was interesting. Looking at the background, it appears to me that it at an airport somewhere in Asia. My guess is that few people in that area had any real idea of the significance of those words. If that woman had been wearing that same t-shirt in a US airport, I seriously doubt she'd have that smile on her face for very long.

The notion that people have some 'right' not to be offended is nonsense.

Equally nonsense is the notion that others have some 'obligation' not to cause offense - ever.

l37r8.jpg

Yeah. Equal opportunity insulting.

What's a "beaner"?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure what you're trying to do other than attempt be edgy.

I would treat that t-shirt as a protest against political correctness.

This video seems to be showing demonstrators attacking a cameraman from the media to deny him the chance to report the event.

A female professor organizer of the demonstration orders the cameraman to leave or back away and calls on the protesters to force him away.

One of the comments says that this YouTube video has been repeatedly pulled. So it might not last.

Is there something wrong with these protesters and the professor leading them? They seem to be opposed to the media being there.
Protesters who don't want to be media-covered, that's hilarious, the only way to make it more hilarious would be go to some remote place in secret and protest at night there, maybe in some cave.

the notion that people have some 'right' to be offensive is nonsense.
Not at all.

It is codified law in the United States and pretty much every other liberal democracy on Earth.

equally nonsense is the notion that others have some 'obligation' not to be offended - ever.

I don't think anyone has an obligation to be offended or not offended. You can be offended or not offended as you see fit.

It appears she quit over this.

Speaking of Mizzou, the black radical (they support cop-killer Assata Shakur who is being harbored by Cuban communists) protesters there forced university president to resign. Fucking ridiculous.

It appears she quit over this.

Speaking of Mizzou, the black radical (they support cop-killer Assata Shakur who is being harbored by Cuban communists) protesters there forced university president to resign. Fucking ridiculous.
What is fucking ridiculous? That it took the strike of football players to wake the president up? Or that MIzzou ignored the situation for so long? Or that that such an inexperienced lunkhead was named president?

Looks like yesterday was "National Offend a College Student Day":

http://www.inquisitr.com/2556282/twitter-outrage-offended-people-declare-national-offend-a-college-student-day/

So, whether it is people being offended in schools or people being offended by the offense some people in some schools are taking over what they deem offensive, it is clear that everyone appears to be offended about something. And, social media sites like twitter gives a wonderful outlet for all the people who are offended over whatever they are offended by to express the offence they feel. And that leads us to the twitter hashtag #NationalOffendACollegeStudentDay.

What is fucking ridiculous? That it took the strike of football players to wake the president up? Or that MIzzou ignored the situation for so long? Or that that such an inexperienced lunkhead was named president?
What is ridiculous that a bunch of racist Assata-quoting radicals are able to oust a university president. They also say that this is just the beginning and that their goal is to "dismantle the system". Sounds threatening.

What is ridiculous that a bunch of racist Assata-quoting radicals are able to oust a university president. They also say that this is just the beginning and that their goal is to "dismantle the system". Sounds threatening.
The students are protesting the lack of perceived response on the part of the Mizzou administration to overt racist behaviors observed on campus over time. This particular president had no experience in running an academic institution and was clearly over his head in these matters. Ignoring a problem does not make it go away. Now, he probably could have waited these students out but once a significant and important part of the FOOTBALL team went on strike over this, he was toast because football is important to the alumni and legislators. But claiming this sounds "threatening" is fucking ludicrous.

I understand your dismissal of their concerns and your ignorant or willful mischaracterizations of the issues in an attempt to placate some phobia of black people.

The students are protesting the lack of perceived response on the part of the Mizzou administration to overt racist behaviors observed on campus over time.
Emphasis on "perceived". #BLM activists see racism everywhere.
The alleged racial incidents are not that well documented anyway, and seem to largely go back to claims made by the #BLM connected student body president and one of the main agitators Payton Head.
This particular president had no experience in running an academic institution and was clearly over his head in these matters. Ignoring a problem does not make it go away.
His job shouldn't have been to appease a bunch of radical students. Note that we do not know who was responsible for those instances like the feces swastika. We do not even know it was real.
Was The Poop Swastika Incident At Mizzou A Giant Hoax?
But even if it was real and done by white racists (as opposed to a false flag operation), how is that the fault of the president? He does not have a magic wand to identify the perpetrators.
Now, he probably could have waited these students out but once a significant and important part of the FOOTBALL team went on strike over this, he was toast because football is important to the alumni and legislators. But claiming this sounds "threatening" is fucking ludicrous.
"This is just the beginning". "We want to dismantle" is threatening language.
I understand your dismissal of their concerns and your ignorant or willful mischaracterizations of the issues in an attempt to placate some phobia of black people.
I think their concerns do not rise nearly to the level of a college president needing to be sacked. That presidents a vulnerable to a small minority of cop-killer-quoting radicals is a cause of concern in itself. I understand that you agree with their brand of radicalism but imagine university president was forced to resign because a small minority of radical pro-life students was protesting for example. What would you think about that? It is always a cause for concern when a small but vocal minority of radicals starts to dictate to the rest of society. I find it sad that you fail to realize this just because you happen to agree with the radicals in question.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom